Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

ED E wrote: »
    http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/home

Use this to find out what covers you. Your options will be any other mobile operators with coverage (Vodafone, Meteor/eMobile) or fixed wireless if you have line of sight to any providers.

Thanks for that :) I have two wireless broadband providers coming up , just wondered if anyone's used them , one is Ripplecom Broadband and the other is Arra communications but that is right on the border of where I am and seems to be a small area of coverage compared to the other one , anyone dealt with Ripplecom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

Anyone dealt with Wirelessconnect.ie broadband , company that has a mast on Knockshegowna near Roscrea in Tipp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

I know its been asked before but Eircom eFibre vs Vodafone (which to choose)?

My Eircom router died and when I called for a replacement I was told I was out of contract. Apparently I can get eFiber but only up to 8mb due to the distance from the switch.

So I did a quick compare of the cost of an 18 month contract:
    VODAFONE Simply Broadband (no free calls) €35pm = €630
    EIRCOM eFibre Advanced Unlimited (free off peak landline) €48pm = €720 (1st 6 months for €24 for new customers)

So does it come down to "is free off peak calls worth an extra €5 a month" or do either have a better router, etc?

I know both companies are poor on customer service so there is no right answer here... I haven't included Sky as it seems they don't offer eFibre yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You sure its fibre they're offering? Fibre profiles are 4 7 12, 8 is regular DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Thanks ED E. I rang Vodafone and they checked the line and said they could do 7mb so I'd say the Eircom "rep" was rounding up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Hi. Anyone knows best provider in Grange co. Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

Cabaal wrote: »
    Some things to keep in mind before ordering:
    Whilst UPC don't charge line rental line eircom do all their Bropadband prices are based on the assumption that you already have the basic analog TV package which costs around €24.99, if you don't want the basic TV package because for example your already with Sky then a surcharge of €7.75 currently applys.

Is this still true for UPC? Can't find it in the terms and conditions but can through google.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭taibhse1966

hello all - head totally melted and on the verge of tears at this point, had very good Irish Broadband old style which I had to give up in May, now have eircom and it is horrible, I'm looking for the best broadband provider from boards users for the Tallaght/Citywest area, I have sky tv but don't really have a problem changing to upc. Help me pleeeeeeeaaaaaazzzzzz ????

• Registered Users Posts: 9 doconn

Hello all

Thanks for your help/advice. Unfortunately, I'm not suitable for FWA and 3G is too inconsistent (7/1.5 outside & 0.1/00 inside).

I have two queries.

1Has anyone successfully mounted a 3G booster and created a decent WiFi signal inside.

I know everyone despairs of satellite but I am desperate. If you use satellite at the moment, will you always get 1m down and 0.5 upload?

These speeds are Ok for me as I only need email and web surfing/research?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 doconn

Hello all

Thanks for your help/advice. Unfortunately, I'm not suitable for FWA and 3G is too inconsistent (7/1.5 outside & 0.1/00 inside).

I have two queries.

1 Has anyone successfully mounted a 3G booster and created a decent WiFi signal inside?

2 I know everyone despairs of satellite but I am desperate. If you use satellite at the moment, do you always get 1m down and 0.5 upload?

These speeds are Ok for me as I only need email and web surfing/research?

all help welcome

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Will be moving to Portlaoise in the New Year. Wondering who is best for bb.

Am I right in thinking UPC isn't available?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pajor wrote: »
    Will be moving to Portlaoise in the New Year. Wondering who is best for bb.

Am I right in thinking UPC isn't available?
    Portlaoise exchange is enabled for eFibre/VDSL so that would be a decent alternative asssuming UPC isn't available.

Open to correction as I'm not from Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm looking at a particular location in Dublin. There are two VDSL cabinets close by (each less than 300m away) yet there seems to be no e-fibre availability at the apartment in which I am interested. Is there any way I can find out more, like when service might become available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 slowbb

Hi
    I was in the same predicament as few users on Boards re finding a suitable mobile broadband provider in my area.I spoke to all of the operators (mobile broadband) and I reviewed their coverage maps. They all indicated that they had coverage in the surrounding area. That’s where it ends. Until you try each of them you won’t know for sure which will suffice for your particularly requirements, and that can turn out to be quite expensive.
    Before you decide on an operator, you should really know which mobile providers are operating at your house/office and their associated signal strengths. Signal strengths differ a lot at each corner of your house depending on the signal source. The operator’s returns policy for hardware is very strict.
    A few friends of mine and I recently purchased a device, which allowed us to view the providers in my area and their signal strengths 3g & 4g. We were very surprised with the results, and in the end we made the correct decision in signing a contract with a provider which provided the best service in my area.
    One of my friends found good signal at the bottom of his garden and we ended up plugging his dongle into a 3g wireless router in his garden shed and connecting the shed to his bedroom via Cat5 and the rest is history!

Let us know if you think I can help with our gadget, we could carry out a survey for you. I know how frustrating it can be in choosing a provider.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

I am currently with Vodafone using the Eircom copper wires. The internet cuts off for varying periods of time and this can occur at any time, but is more common when many users are online.

I am desperate to change and it appears Satellite may be my only choice. I'd be willing to be a looooot of money for reliable fast broadband.

Based on the below website the available options are Nova, AHC, Permanet, Airwave and Ripplecom. Can anyone recommend any of these?
    ED E wrote: »
    http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/home

Use this to find out what covers you. Your options will be any other mobile operators with coverage (Vodafone, Meteor/eMobile) or fixed wireless if you have line of sight to any providers.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brennan_a

Hi
    You will probably find with the listed providers, that if they can get you a sniff of a signal they will say its going to be great. Then your locked in for 12 months of pain. Write to each of them, enquiring about availability at your address.

Before you pick a provider ask them for a copy of their contract also get it in writing the min speed you would be getting from them (No verbals). You should check the small print of the contract because this may well say that the advertised broadband speed is not guaranteed and is the maximum speed you can expect to get.

If your current broadband provider is not achieving the speeds promised, your provider may be in breach of contract.

Which county do you live in? It might be worth having a 3g/4g signal strength survey.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

brennan_a wrote: »
    Hi
    You will probably find with the listed providers, that if they can get you a sniff of a signal they will say its going to be great. Then your locked in for 12 months of pain. Write to each of them, enquiring about availability at your address.

Before you pick a provider ask them for a copy of their contract also get it in writing the min speed you would be getting from them (No verbals). You should check the small print of the contract because this may well say that the advertised broadband speed is not guaranteed and is the maximum speed you can expect to get.

If your current broadband provider is not achieving the speeds promised, your provider may be in breach of contract.

Which county do you live in? It might be worth having a 3g/4g signal strength survey.

Regards

Great advice, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jimand josie

Greeting all,

i have bought a house in Mullinavat but live in Singapore, we are back home this weekend and i wanted to start the process of getting a broadband connection set-up by applying online.

i have two questions:

1. What is the best option in this area?
    2. How long does it generally take to get connected, is there one who can get connected quickly?

thanks very much in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fyda

Greeting all,

i have bought a house in Mullinavat but live in Singapore, we are back home this weekend and i wanted to start the process of getting a broadband connection set-up by applying online.

i have two questions:

2. How long does it generally take to get connected, is there one who can get connected quickly?

I don't know about the best option, but in general it's around 2-3 days unless they're really busy (at least in my case, but that was years ago...). If you need Internet immediately, try a braodband stick (available from o², Three, etc.) - not really good for streaming, but ok for checking mails, browsing, playing games (there can be a it of lag, but it's ok)

Greeting all,

i have two questions:

If theres UPC available go with them. Hands down.

I suspect there isnt though. Which means eircom wholesale based broadband whoever you go with. With all the bad weather you're looking at several weeks to get a landline installed and then broadband later added. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Aha Shake wrote: »
    I am currently with Vodafone using the Eircom copper wires. The internet cuts off for varying periods of time and this can occur at any time, but is more common when many users are online.

I am desperate to change and it appears Satellite may be my only choice. I'd be willing to be a looooot of money for reliable fast broadband.

Based on the below website the available options are Nova, AHC, Permanet, Airwave and Ripplecom. Can anyone recommend any of these?

Thanks a million
    I'm in Cork, used Airwave for a couple of years. Found them to be very realiable any time I did have an issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Hey guys, I live in Kilmacanogue up on Rocky Valley drive. I have had Wicklow Broadband for years now & it has been fine but never great & just recently has become shocking. I've had regional before & they are appalling. Wondering what other broadband is in my area? Not sure what the closest exchanges are to me. Is there a decent exchange map?

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I live in Kilmacanogue up on Rocky Valley drive. I have had Wicklow Broadband for years now & it has been fine but never great & just recently has become shocking. I've had regional before & they are appalling. Wondering what other broadband is in my area? Not sure what the closest exchanges are to me. Is there a decent exchange map?

Quoted 7 posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Some advice please.

I live in a rural area in North Co. Dublin, and have been with Ripplecom for some time

Speed is not great, but it's better than nothing

Recently while paying my Eircom phone bill, on line I checked my number for Broadband availability and ''The Computer says Yes''

We are a couple of miles from the Exchange, and there are no Cabinets for EFibre anywhere remotely close to where we live

So I got onto livechat with Eircom, and was told I could get 4Mbs on Efibre,
    having checked the line.

Is this worth a change, or should I wait a year or two, until this deal with the ESB comes into play, and I have a solution from that source

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

martinn123 wrote: »
    Some advice please.

I live in a rural area in North Co. Dublin, and have been with Ripplecom for some time

Speed is not great, but it's better than nothing

Recently while paying my Eircom phone bill, on line I checked my number for Broadband availability and ''The Computer says Yes''

We are a couple of miles from the Exchange, and there are no Cabinets for EFibre anywhere remotely close to where we live

So I got onto livechat with Eircom, and was told I could get 4Mbs on Efibre,
    having checked the line.

Is this worth a change, or should I wait a year or two, until this deal with the ESB comes into play, and I have a solution from that source

thanks.

Martinn123

A lot will depend on where in north Co. Dublin you live. There should be an alternative to Ripplecom for fixed wireless in the form of Metro from Digiweb. This offers packages from 5 - 30MB with or without phone service. The service is good and fairly consistent. Visit http://www.digiweb.ie for further details.

As for the ESB/Vodafone project have a look at the coverage on the supplied link to see if your area is covered in the first phase.

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Hi Guys just looking for a bit of advice and expertise:

Moving house in the next few weeks to Carraig an Ard, Waterford.
    Area doesn't seem set up for fibre so I rang around a few other providers:

Digiweb: Can offer speeds of up to 4mb on ADSL with 350gb usage for 30 quid a month

Eircom: Can offer speeds of between 4 - 6mb with unlimited usage on ADSL

Sky: Say there is a tag on the line so they cannot see what they can offer but I imagine it as the same as above.

I havent contacted anyone else does anyone have any providers I might have forgotten or does anyone live in the area that might something different?

Bear in mind I think Eircom own the lines in the estate and I have Sky TV with on demand so download quite a bit.

Thanks Guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

UPC, or Total Wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

UPC, or Total Wireless?

UPC can only do TV in the area, and I will check out Total Wireless thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Sorry but this is not my field at all and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Can someone simply tell me which unlimited broadband is better value for money, Sky or BT?

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Sorry but this is not my field at all and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Can someone simply tell me which unlimited broadband is better value for money, Sky or BT?

BT dont do retail, but sky is resold BT.

Advertisement