Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Well one of the things about Bane is that he is supposed to be incredibly intelligent as well as physically powerful. I thinkt they have to "break the bat" in the move, it doesnt have to be an actual "back break" but could be something serious that takes some time to recover from, giving Bane time to take over Gotham.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Spud83 wrote: »
    Bane somehow ends up in prison.
    That's the bit that lets your theory down. Bane ending up in prison "somehow" kinda discredtis the uber-villain that only batman can stop aura.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mellor wrote: »
    That's the bit that lets your theory down. Bane ending up in prison "somehow" kinda discredtis the uber-villain that only batman can stop aura.

There is Nolan mentioning that Bane gets hurt somehow and he needs the gas to survive. There is the possibility of both himself and Bats getting hurt in the opening encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I have a few theories, don't know how well they'd hold up or be beliveible but thats the fun of this :)

Bane (without the mask) ends up fighting Batman and breaking him,

However in the ensuing battle Bane is hurt too hence receiving the mask to keep him going,

This leads to him to seek out the LOS or vice versa, to help him wanting to finish what he started with batman and Talia wanting revenge for what Bats did to her father,

=--=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-==-

You could also have bane spin the media in his direction having him as an anti hero, kind of like how the joker went to the mob in TDK,

Him showing the picture of dent saying batman destroyed this man, you need someone to take him out,

The local government think it's a good idea and let bane have a private army and free reign to take out batman but bane turns on them growing his millitia and going on a rampage taking the city under his control,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The LOS never went away from BB,

But had sent the joker in to disrupt the flow as we saw in TDK,

Knowing he would cause anarchy and chaos he ultimatly failed and the catalyst for this is batman,

Bane is brought in as a cleanup and to deal with Batman with the promise of being Ras Al Ghuls heir,

His goal is to take out batman and destroy gotham so it can be rebuilt

-=-=-==-=-=-=

I've tried to think of where the hell catwoman fits in with this, i've got nothing with that, or Joseph Gordon Levits character,

All the focus tends to be on bane and batman and the league of shadows

Could it all be misdirection? With these two characters potentially being more important than we seem to be giving them credit for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Maybe Catwoman has been on work replacement with Batman fo 8 years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Is there anything ruling out that most of the spoiler images we have seen so far are for the 8 minute prologue scene only? I’m excluding the hot cat woman images and interior Bane vs Batman fight, where batman’s exhaustion would hint at an 8 year older man closer to his 40’s. Christopher Nolan could have let a lot of set images leak for this reason. He could have tightened down leaking images, it was done for I Am Legend, IIRC there were no images leaked of completely empty overgrown NYC avenues.

Also, it would sound like a plausible prologue…

The prologue is today, not 8 years in the future. It’s just after event of TDK (not immediately after the events, but days or weeks) hence Bane holding an image of Harvey Dent. There is the huge riot/fight scene we saw filmed, the bat copter or whatever it is, culminating in Bane Batman fight with the resultant being Bane breaking batman’s back. The prologue ends with Batman lying broken on the ground. Then when the movie is release, its set 8 years after these events an roughly accurate time to recover from a broken back.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    ......what'd be really f*cking nuts would be if Superman turned up.

Haha, your not serious?
    He's not serious is he?:pac::pac:

I fully, fully agree that is a ridiculous statement and unlikely to happen....but Nolan is an exec producer on Man of Steel....stranger things have happened.

Please don't ridicule me....I'm just saying, it is a quirky cameo idea (like wolverine in x men first class)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

To throw my guess into the mix:

I think the prologue will pick up literally where TDK left off, with batman on the run from the cops, and quite possibly getting shot/injured in his escape. With the joker gone and the mob broken, and possibly being severely injured, Wayne will decide to retire as batman.

TDKR will then kick off with Bane coming to power. I think Bane will actually break Gordon's back, leading to him being hospitalised, and bringing Batman back out of retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I fully, fully agree that is a ridiculous statement and unlikely to happen....but Nolan is an exec producer on Man of Steel....stranger things have happened.

Please don't ridicule me....I'm just saying, it is a quirky cameo idea (like wolverine in x men first class)

Clark Kent or Lois Lane reporting on the breakout in arkham would be plausible or a Daily Planet paper with the headline Breakout in Arkham

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Also, it would sound like a plausible prologue…

The prologue is today, not 8 years in the future. It’s just after event of TDK (not immediately after the events, but days or weeks) hence Bane holding an image of Harvey Dent. There is the huge riot/fight scene we saw filmed, the bat copter or whatever it is, culminating in Bane Batman fight with the resultant being Bane breaking batman’s back. The prologue ends with Batman lying broken on the ground. Then when the movie is release, its set 8 years after these events an roughly accurate time to recover from a broken back.

Can't see them showing the Batwing that early in the movie (or even in the prologue). I reckon this will make an appearence later and will no doubt be a response or escalation to Bane's use of the Tumblers. There are pictures of some sort of spherical device being dropped from the Batwing, rumours are that it is an EMP device that renders all ground based vehicles useless - advantage Bats!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Joekers wrote: »
    Maybe Catwoman has been on work replacement with Batman fo 8 years :pac:

She'll be a greay area of sorts, not a clear good guy first, probably be a thief more than likely.

I can see Joseph Gordon Levitt becoming a vigilante during Batman's absence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Set photos have shown that Gordon Levitt plays
    a beat cop; he was seen, in uniform, in several scenes involving Bruce Wayne (and apparently with Wayne's sports car being towed) . So I dunno, maybe it's like Insp. Gordon where he's one of the few good men left in Gotham rather than a genuine vigilante

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Set photos have shown that Gordon Levitt plays
    a beat cop; he was seen, in uniform, in several scenes involving Bruce Wayne (and apparently with Wayne's sports car being towed) . So I dunno, maybe it's like Insp. Gordon where he's one of the few good men left in Gotham rather than a genuine vigilante

Yeah I heard he's a cop but I think he's going to be a version of
    Jean PAul Valley
    who played a role in Knighfall. I can't what I read to make me think that now...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I heard he's a cop but I think he's going to be a version of
    Jean PAul Valley
    who played a role in Knighfall. I can't what I read to make me think that now...

Isn't
    Dick Grayson
    also a police officer? They said there would be no
    Robin....but Nightwing
    is an entirely different matter and makes more sense than
    Azreal.

Edit: Just noticed somewhere that his character has a name and it's related to neither of the above.

Worst use of spoilers ever.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dicks never been a cop :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

So will the MI4 prologue be available anywhere in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WatchWolf wrote: »
    As we have no IMAX cinemas, no

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

As we have no IMAX cinemas, no

Would you say there's much chance of it leaking online?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Turtyturd wrote: »

Hmmm. Hows about that!
    Only read nightwing year 1 and whenever he pops up in gotham

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd say there's a 100 percent chance it will leak online. :D Of course, whether you want to watch some crappy shaky cam version recorded on someone's phone while they munched popcorn is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Not in any format worth watching IMO, I'll wait for the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Spud83 wrote: »
    There is Nolan mentioning that Bane gets hurt somehow and he needs the gas to survive. There is the possibility of both himself and Bats getting hurt in the opening encounter.
    Maybe, but I was talkign specifically about Bane gettign thrown in jail while batman is in "exile" for 8 years
    Would you say there's much chance of it leaking online?
    100%
    I'll be going to see it, I can record if you like ;)
    I'd say there's a 100 percent chance it will leak online. :D Of course, whether you want to watch some crappy shaky cam version recorded on someone's phone while they munched popcorn is another thing.
    I promise not to munch for 6 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think Bane gets hurt when he is a child, IMO it would take away from the theme of the film if Bats manages to do serious damage to Bane in their first battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Have stayed away from this thread (and anything else TDKR related) for a while but decided I'd catch up this morning, you guys have got me mega excited :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Not sure if this was posted before. Pretty funny

Another potential prologue “leak” has appeared online. This was originally posted by a user on the SHH forums (who got it from a source who claimed to have read a short synopsis of it) and then later removed. It’s an interesting one as it contains no action but fits in with stuff we already knew from set reports. I don’t know, but I have a good feeling about this. It doesn’t sound like something your typical fan would come up with. Thematically it's very heavy-handed and seems like just the sort thing Nolan would do.

I'll spoiler tag it just in case:
    - Josh Pence / Young Ra’s Al Ghul is in this significantly, along with a Young Bane.

- We are getting the League of Shadows. (We knew this)

- We see a friendship between Little Boy Bane and Little Talia, and believe it or not, this is going to mirror Young Bruce and Rachel in the very first scene of Batman Begins when they’re children. We won’t see footage of this scene intercut into the prologue, but the word "mirror" is written a few times. There seems to be a huge deal of "reflection" happening in this movie. Things will mirror other things. I have no clue what that means, but it seems fascinating. Talia is to Bane what Rachel was to Bruce – not really a lover, not really a sister-figure, but rather a good friend who shared childhood memories together, some being traumatic.

- This "Unnamed Mad Scientist" that we’ve seen around the sets, played by Alon Aboutboul, is the guy who essentially “created” Bane, and he is a bastard. He performed horrific experiments on him and it will be in the prologue. This man has supposedly helped to create the “Doomsday” device that we’ve seen in the pictures, but I use the word “Doomsday” because I haven’t been told what it is.

- The result of Bane’s health condition comes from a fire (as we all probably could’ve guessed). Ra’s Al Ghul’s wife (Talia’s mother) is trapped in this fire with Bane, along with Talia. Ra’s has only time to save Talia and Bane, but Bane is the last to escape and is severely injured / scarred. This is “tough to watch”, and mirrors Harvey Dent barely making it out of the warehouse. Ra's' wife is viewed as a "witch"/"gypsy" in their village, and Ra's is a "wizard". They're essentially "burning the witch at the stake", and Bane is an unfortunate casualty. (Again, a mirror to his supernatural side) - Villagers arrive with torches like it's the townspeople arriving to kill Frankenstein's monster - in this case, the monster isn't Bane - it's Ra's' wife.

- The brief snippet of Bane crawling up the well in the teaser will be in the prologue. This is part of Bane’s training, administered by Ra’s. Again, this will “mirror” the very first scene of Batman Begins, when Young Bruce falls down the well. It’s essentially the same exact shot. Young Bane RISES UP, Young Bruce FALLS DOWN.

- Among the Batman Begins shots inserted into TDKR: Bruce with longer hair and beard walking through the Chinese prison, Bruce inhaling from the bowl of the hallucinogen, Bane being one of the masked LOS members who was standing in the anonymous pack while Ra’s sicked bats on Bruce from the chest. We see Liam Neeson, but not in terms of new footage here.

- The only new footage we see of Liam Neeson is right when Bane emerges from the top of the well and, Ra’s is standing there waiting for him, impressed. Ra’s training Bane throughout his life mirrors the montage of Batman Begins ("My anger outweighs my guilt"), only this time, through clever editing in montage, we see Josh Pence age quickly into Liam/Ra’s Al Ghul through quick cuts, each cut making Bane a little taller. The ice set is there, though we can't know visually if it's the exact same location (since it's on paper.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Another potential prologue “leak” has appeared online. This was originally posted by a user on the SHH forums (who got it from a source who claimed to have read a short synopsis of it) and then later removed. It’s an interesting one as it contains no action but fits in with stuff we already knew from set reports. I don’t know, but I have a good feeling about this. It doesn’t sound like something your typical fan would come up with. Thematically it's very heavy-handed and seems like just the sort thing Nolan would do.

I found this a lot more believable than the other one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Significant smell of bull**** from this this one

Advertisement