Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Undertaking in bus lanes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

corktina wrote: »
    but out of hours it ceases to be a bus lane and the thick white boundary can be disregarded, thus it is the left hand lane and should be the driving lane by default.

Why can it be disregarded?

Im not saying that Im right, however I do feel that people are making a lot of assumptions without providing anything to back them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I think ye are allowed in bus lane if ye have boards.ie. car sticker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Imagine there was technology available that magically changes the white bus lane solid boundary markings into a dashed white line outside of the posted times. Would you then drive in the leftmost lane? This is how I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

djimi wrote: »
    Why can it be disregarded?

Im not saying that Im right, however I do feel that people are making a lot of assumptions without providing anything to back them up.

Because when the bus lane is in operation this is a boundary marker between two separate carriageways.When the bus lane isn't in operation, it can be disregarded It isn't a lane marking such as the normal thin solid white line.

Following your line through to a logical conclusion, when the lane is not in operation, no one should use it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Sean Kinvarra

degsie wrote: »
    Nothing grey about it. If a bus lane has posted times then that lane becomes a normal driving lane outside of the posted times. In this country we are required to drive on the leftmost lane, so those driving on the second lane are in the wrong as this in effect is now an overtaking lane. Most drivers are clueless on this.[/QUOTE
    Yes they should use out of use bus lanes as they are driving lanes. This is great in theory but does not work for simple reason cars use them for parking after bus hours, also buses stop every few hundred mtrs. Also unlike motorways where outside lanes are for overtaking only these lanes can also be used for right turns. Back to my original point, why do Gardai not punish buses that undertake AFTER bus hours. Isn't it illegal to undertake in "normal" lanes? That's the grey area.

• Advertisement

I agree....undertaking in the bus lane is not permitted outside bus lane hours imo

I agree....undertaking in the bus lane is not permitted outside bus lane hours imo

Fine, I'll give you a little wave as I zip by....:D

Fine, I'll give you a little wave as I zip by....:D

you'll have a job...that's one of life's little pleasures (Why do we keep telling people about using out of hours bus lanes!)

And that applies to buses and taxis also, yet never adhered to.

Because when the bus lane is in operation this is a boundary marker between two separate carriageways.When the bus lane isn't in operation, it can be disregarded It isn't a lane marking such as the normal thin solid white line.

Following your line through to a logical conclusion, when the lane is not in operation, no one should use it at all.

Where does it say that a bus lane merges with the main carraigeway when it is outside of operation hours? Its entirely possible for it to remain a separate carraigeway, just one that cars are permitted to use. This would also mean that the laws of undertaking would not apply.

• Advertisement

And that applies to buses and taxis also, yet never adhered to.

During operation hours, a bus lane is a separate carraigeway and as such undertaking laws would not apply.

Ok, to change my tune a little bit, I see now that road users can use the bus lane outside posted hours, however most drivers choose not to do this which suits me fine.

Where does it say that a bus lane merges with the main carraigeway when it is outside of operation hours? Its entirely possible for it to remain a separate carraigeway, just one that cars are permitted to use. This would also mean that the laws of undertaking would not apply.

It is a bus lane at certain times which implies it isn't at other times. If it isn't a special lane, then it is either closed or a normal lane.

It is a bus lane at certain times which implies it isn't at other times. If it isn't a special lane, then it is either closed or a normal lane.

And therein lies the problem; implies. There is nothing written in law or elsewhere (that I can see or that anyone has been able to provide) to clarify either way. As far as Im concerned a bus lane is a separate carraigeway, always, that cars may be allowed to use at certain times. Youre saying that outside of hours it must be considered to be the main driving lane. Neither of us seem to be able to provide any evidence to back either claim up.

no I can't give any evidence. It's merely an opinion. CiniO will be along in minute, he'll find it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

no I can't give any evidence. It's merely an opinion. CiniO will be along in minute, he'll find it!

If I've known the answer I'd be here long time before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

What i should of said is why do "some" people overtake in the bus lane? Why not just overtake the traditional way. (On the right hand side).
    Like this morning, road has low volume of traffic on it, I'm doing the limit, car comes up behind me and overtakes in the bus lane and then back into the lane.

If by any chance their caught by the cops they would be done for speeding and driving in a bus lane "maybe" seen as reckless driving by a cop.

So why not just overtake?

robertxxx wrote: »
    Like this morning, road has low volume of traffic on it, I'm doing the limit, car comes up behind me and overtakes in the bus lane and then back into the lane.

Was the bus lane available for you to use I.e. outside posted times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Was the bus lane available for you to use I.e. outside posted times?

No it's a 24 hour type.

robertxxx wrote: »
    No it's a 24 hour type.

Well then the other driver was clearly in the wrong. Did you note the reg and report it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Nothing grey about it. If a bus lane has posted times then that lane becomes a normal driving lane outside of the posted times. In this country we are required to drive on the leftmost lane, so those driving on the second lane are in the wrong as this in effect is now an overtaking lane. Most drivers are clueless on this.

No problem with that at all, but do remember that where it says turn left except buses that that isn't a bus lane message and also do remember the give way markings at the end of some bus lanes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

after operational hours when bus lanes become open to the public everyone should be using them.

but the problem is not all bus lanes are the same... so unless you're from Dublin and aware of the hours of certain bus lanes, it's impossible to know when / if it's ok to use them..

smemon wrote: »
    but the problem is not all bus lanes are the same... so unless you're from Dublin and aware of the hours of certain bus lanes, it's impossible to know when / if it's ok to use them..

The times are posted at the start of the bus lane and sometimes posted further along the lane.

During operation hours, a bus lane is a separate carraigeway and as such undertaking laws would not apply.

Out of hours bus lane is treated as an ordinary lane. If cars are parked in these lanes leaving gaps of 50,60,100 mtrs what is the point of using that "driving lane". If you were to go by the Rules of the Road you would be constantly changing which is much more dangerous that just driving in outside lane. If it legal for buses and taxis to pass on inside lane after bus lane hours then same rules apply to motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Out of hours bus lane is treated as an ordinary lane. If cars are parked in these lanes leaving gaps of 50,60,100 mtrs what is the point of using that "driving lane". If you were to go by the Rules of the Road you would be constantly changing which is much more dangerous that just driving in outside lane. If it legal for buses and taxis to pass on inside lane after bus lane hours then same rules apply to motorists.

Dublin bus employed a strategy to make better progress and that is bus will indicate and pull away from bus stop including bus stops that are in off the road without waiting for gap in traffic or a curious driver to let them out.
    There is no laws for this but its done everyday by dublin bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

micraX wrote: »
    I do often be traveling into Dublin city in a tractor and trailer. I come up the r132/n1 by swords santeh etc. I go fairly hard mow, 43km/h top speed, I am still not a bus, yet some people don't notice this and blow me out of I and point ant the bus lane then fly up it themselves I usuall wave I they catch my eye. Why should I be subjected to this when it's clear I'm not a bus( bus lanes where closed I always look at signs)
    The tractor is fully taxed, insured, lights working, reflectors, beacons, trailer has breakaway chain, brakes, lights, number plate so it's all legal. And I do be delivering vegetables into the Dublin market for those who think I shouldn't be delivering in a tractor.

I genuinely love this comment, I got a mental image of Pat Shortt roaring out the window of a tractor at yuppies. Good stuff.

Sitec wrote: »
    I genuinely love this comment, I got a mental image of Pat Shortt roaring out the window of a tractor at yuppies. Good

You wouldn't be related to Bengy Riordan? :):):) love it

Is there anything written in law or otherwise to clarify this? There seems to be a lot of talk on this subject with very little to back it up either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

smemon wrote: »
    Imagine if it were as easy as reading the signs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

htf_imgcache_38390.jpeg

Advertisement