Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oh Im so jealous. My bike is a torture machine and I've been avoiding it but really want to cycle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Bally8 wrote: »
    Oh Im so jealous. My bike is a torture machine and I've been avoiding it but really want to cycle!

Bike to work :cool: you should look into it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

littlebug wrote: »
    Bike to work :cool: you should look into it.

Contemplating taking advantage of that myself over the summer to get a bike :)

Contemplating taking advantage of that myself over the summer to get a bike :)
    You should RK. I think I've said it to you before that with your swimming I could easily see you doing triathlons.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You should RK. I think I've said it to you before that with your swimming I could easily see you doing triathlons.

Wouldn't mind giving one a go sometime actually - maybe next year. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Well done on Monivea, Littlebug. My husband was trying to cajole me into doing that one but I'm not quite ready for a race yet (I'm too chicken... :o). The Cong run sounded fab. Will definitely do that one next year (yes, so easy to commit to something that's a year away ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Only catching up on your log now LB, great going in your 2 recent races.
    Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

jcsmum wrote: »
    Only catching up on your log now LB, great going in your 2 recent races.
    Well done.

+1 Well done you, keep up the good work. :)

Wednesday pm. The plan was 3-4 miles easy (as defined by hr). Within 100m hr was shot up into 160s so I decided that maybe running on the same day as my longest and fastest cycle might not have been such a good idea :rolleyes: Abandoned ship and took the dog for a nice slow leisurely walk instead... 3.2 miles in 53.05, average pace 16.21, hr 114 :pac: (not counted in 1000mile challenge).

Friday. Took me a while to talk myself into this today so was later than planned getting out. 6 miles @10.09 average, hr 171. Found the last 2 hard but probably due to mid-day sun.
    I keep finding myself in some Italian cyclists garmin connect when I log in :confused:

Did I say how much I'm liking the bike?

Pushed the distance up a wee bit today. 12 miles in 51:05 , that's 14.1mph/ 22.7 kmph with a few testing hills and a good breeze in the mix. Average HR 164.

It's shocking how many people drive round corners on the wrong side of the road:eek:.... never noticed so much before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Did I say how much I'm liking the bike?

Pushed the distance up a wee bit today. 12 miles in 51:05 , that's 14.1mph/ 22.7 kmph with a few testing hills and a good breeze in the mix. Average HR 164.

It's shocking how many people drive round corners on the wrong side of the road:eek:.... never noticed so much before.

I missed the first bit about the bike, so I was wondering what was going on when I saw 12mls in 51mins :eek:

Fair play to ya though, good to see to you out consistently.
    Are you doing Annaghdown this year, we have the sandwiches back ;)

Speedy44 wrote: »
    I was wondering what was going on when I saw 12mls in 51mins :eek:

:D:D

Are you doing Annaghdown this year, we have the sandwiches back ;)

That is/ has been the plan.... childcare issue raising it's ugly head just now but hopefully I'll have it sorted by Tuesday. I haven't pre-registered just in case... does that mean I won't get a t-shirt :(

:D:D

That is/ has been the plan.... childcare issue raising it's ugly head just now but hopefully I'll have it sorted by Tuesday. I haven't pre-registered just in case... does that mean I won't get a t-shirt :(

we have 150 ordered, we had 75 registered as of last night. Last year we had 100 on the day register, so get there early ;)

we have 150 ordered, we had 75 registered as of last night. Last year we had 100 on the day register, so get there early ;)

I'll do my bestest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Non pull harness for the mutt

Tell me more. Looking to venture further afield than the club field (pun intended!!) but pooch would need to be reined in when in polite company.

Keep up the good work.

Where's all this cyclo-bikerising stuff going?

Tell me more. Looking to venture further afield than the club field (pun intended!!) but pooch would need to be reined in when in polite company.

It looks lie a regular harness but the lead clips in at the front of the dogs chest rather than her back, so she can't really pull against it the way she does with regular collars and harness. It's also harder to escape from (very important factor with my dog:D).

Where's all this cyclo-bikerising stuff going?

*shrugs* I dunno :cool: maybe nowhere. No decisions made yet. I might try short run/ bike or bike/ run from later this week and see how they go.

:) pb:D

Previous 10k pb was 58 mins from Athenry a year and a half ago. Given my winter of discontent I need to take everything in more recent context.
    *Confesssion* 7 weeks ago I did the Castlebar 10k and said I'd finished in "about" an hour.. well when the chip times were eventually published I was actually 1:00:36 (or thereabouts).
    Phew.. it's good to get that off my chest:o.

This evenings Race... Annaghdown Solstice run (10k).
    Well if Monivea was wet last week I think Annaghdown was even wetter this evening! However just before the start of the race it miraculously cleared !
    I went into this race with a loose plan.. not the most sensible of plans I'll admit but it seemed to work out ok :)

I had finished the Monivea 5 in 28 mins so todays plan was to hit 5k in 28 mins! I knew the second half would be harder as there are more hills bumps, not big bumps but it doesn't take much to slow me down. The plan for the 2nd half was accept being slower but hopefully no more than 1.5 mins. That was target A.... I'm not sure I've ever hit a target A before?

So to the runnning..... the first couple of miles passed easily at about 9 min miles. I slowed a bit in the 3rd but hit my 28 min target at 5k (spot on actually:))... I felt nowhere near as knackered as after Monivea and looking at HR now in Monivea 5k my average was 187 with max 196. By 5k this evening my average was 182 with max at 188.

I kind of accepted slowing down in the second half as being inevitable.... on reflection maybe I shouldn't have (always self critical eh?:rolleyes:) but the 4th and 5th miles though they felt harder I was reasonably happy with 9:17 and 9:22. I kind of fell to bits in the last one though especially on the last hill and the 6th mile was a shocking 9:39:o but I managed to pull a bit of oomph out of somewhere for the last .2(5) which I finished at 8:41 pace. I stopped my watch at 57.35 but I was well through the chute when I stopped it and given I started it a couple of seconds before the start line I'm calling it 57.30;) which is exactly my target A. There was no chip timing and I started at the back so official time will be closer to 58 (or over).. no harm.
    The heavens opened again just after I finished so I went back to the hall for the food.. cake galore :). Stayed around a while chatting and said a quick hello to Speedy44 who was doing a grand job of being the man in charge.

Overall.... great race and I am delighted with my time. Did I mention that already :pac:

time 57.30
    pace 9.13

Congrats on the PB LB (thats got a bit of a ring to it, me thinks !!!)
    Just think what you would have ran if the weather had cooperated :-)
    Great to finally meet you this evening, thanks for saying hello.

I tell ye what though, I'm a lot less tired after running a race than directing a race.

I tell ye what though, I'm a lot less tired after running a race than directing a race.

I don't envy you! It looked like a lot of paperwork floating about there! Well done though.. great race!
    Good to meet you. Now you'll know me if you see me plodding around Annaghdown anytime :)

Well done littlebug, excellent PB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done. Great to get a nice new PB under your belt. Seemed like it would have been a tough evening for a race alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done! Congrats on your PB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done LB, congrats on the PB! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was hoping to make this myself - but I couldnt get out of a work commitment. Well done on the pb, those hills in Knockma must be doing the trick

catweazle wrote: »
    those hills in Knockma must be doing the trick

:o I think I've only been back there once since the day I saw you there.

That in mind I did go to Knockma today but with the mutt it was a walk with a little bit of downhill run thrown in for good measure (not counted in 1000 mile).

This evening.... 7 easy miles on the bike. Tired.

I'm undecided about what to target next.
    I would like to aim for something bike related but what? Next up locally in mid July is Jog in the Bog but maybe a bit much too soon. There also doesn't seem to be much hype about it this year :confused:More sensible would be Achill Roar in September which gives me plenty of time to work on it properly.
    BUT.... I also sort of fancy having a go at the Longford half.
    I'll keep mulling it over :D and see what 5,8 and 10ks pop up in the meantime :)

Oh and with JITB and Roar I'm currently ignoring the fact that there are kayak sections. Last time I was in a kayak was 10 years ago and it didn't go so well:o

You could come down visit us here in Tipp and use my kayak for practice if you like:D

Bally8 wrote: »
    You could come down visit us here in Tipp and use my kayak for practice if you like:D

I'm tempted! When you say practice you mean on dry land to start with of course:D

I'm tempted! When you say practice you mean on dry land to start with of course:D

Ha ha we could start with that. Seriously you are more than welcome to come down. Its great fun and very safe.

run/ bike/ run (sort of)

I had planned for the first 2 installments of this being outside ie proper run and bike but I dilly dallied with the weather/ going to shop etc etc and eventually ran out of time so I was confined to indoors so treadmill and stationary bike it was.
    Very slow 3 miles on the treadmill (33 mins) followed by 10k on the bike (23mins @mid-tension), followed by 2 more miles back on the treadmill. I got bored on the last run so upped the pace to 10 min mile. Felt fine though sweated buckets. "Despicable me" kept the kids entertained :)
    I'll try the same session out in the real world during the week.

• Advertisement

Mayo fit4life 5k 27.37:)

I changed my mind a million times today about doing this. I wasn't best prepared... a tough weekend with not much sleep didn't help. I got ready anyway and told myself that if MrBug wasn't home in time I'd just go for a run by myself... He got home in time so no excuses :o On the way I realised that I hadn't eaten since about 3... with the race at 8 that didn 't exactly bode well.
    Are there enough excuses in there yet :o:p
    Anyway... lined up... probably a bit too far forward for me. After that first settling in phase I looked at the garmin to see 7:30 pace :eek: whoa!!!!! pull back woman! I found myself spending the next few minutes trying to slow down while what felt like hundreds of people flew past me. I hit the half mile mark at 8:08 pace knowing I was really going to regret that.... slowed enough from there to finish the first mile in 8:28. I had been thinking 8:40-8:50 pace throughout would be a good idea :rolleyes: The second mile was a much more sensible 8:51. As predicted :rolleyes: the wheels started to come off in the third mile..... the garmin trace from between 2.2 to 2.6 miles looks utterly bizarre with pace all over the place! It was hot and humid, I hadn't enough fuel on board and I'd started far too fast for me! Still I plodded on and got a decent rhythm back though slower and the third mile was 9:12. I didn't even manage to speed up again for the last .1. In fact I was moving slower:o finishing in 27:37.
    For a dead flat ( I mean really flat) race I'm disappointed I didn't do better:( as I would have like to at least have kept the third mile under 9 mins. Oh well... when I look at the bigger picture... it's my second fastest 5k and only the third that I've managed a sub 9 min average pace. But it is an improvement in the context of this years running and the first time to see sub 9 average since last summer so I really shouldn't moan!
    I'll do the third race in the series next week if I can though it's hillier so I won't expect great things!
    There was a fantastic turnout at the race actually... a good no frills series and a great alternative to the Galway series.

Summary- 5 in 27:37
    Average pace- 8:51
    Average HR- 186 (max 195)

Advertisement