Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

What time are you aiming for in DCM?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

handangeo wrote: »
    What time are you aiming for in DCM?
    I'm reluctant to say cos I stated my IM target here and missed it by half a day. But my only other marathon was 3.59, so faster than that. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to say cos I stated my IM target here and missed it by half a day. But my only other marathon was 3.59, so faster than that. :)

Well we all did that! :rolleyes:

Well I'm going to see how I fare as the weeks progress, I still haven't come back to normal anyway. Slow as fk. :) I don't know yet if I have the potential to get the time I want. Its a big ask. So I'll keep schtum for now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Well I'm going to see how I fare as the weeks progress, I still haven't come back to normal anyway. Slow as fk. :) I don't know yet if I have the potential to get the time I want. Its a big ask. So I'll keep schtum for now :)

I don't think you can let the unique elements of Austria stop you from posting a time here:)

One question - you have the endurance from IM, so, assuming you are pushing for a challenging time, would it make sense to prioritize some of the shorter runs to get the speed back?

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    I don't think you can let the unique elements of Austria stop you from posting a time here:)

One question - you have the endurance from IM, so, assuming you are pushing for a challenging time, would it make sense to prioritize some of the shorter runs to get the speed back?
    I honestly don't know. I've only done this once before, and I didn't bike or swim then. And like you said yesterday, I also have one speed; on or off. Nothing feels normal right now anyway so I'm just gonna suck it and see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Stop it would ya. 3:30.

Stop it would ya. 3:30.
    Only if you stop moaning about your crap tri times which just happen to be the times I post after THREE YEARS doin this ****. And yeah. I just wanna ogle jb's ar5e all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

And yeah. I just wanna ogle jb's ar5e all the way.

Can you see that low down???? ;):D:p

Only if you stop moaning about your crap tri times which just happen to be the times I post after THREE YEARS doin this ****. And yeah. I just wanna ogle jb's ar5e all the way.

It is going to be tough knocking out 3.30, shuffling on your knees to get a good view...

• Advertisement

I could beat all the men in a race and I still wouldn't be happy. Wouldn't pay much attention to my ramblings. :pac:

3:30 anyway...

I could beat all the men in a race and I still wouldn't be happy. Wouldn't pay much attention to my ramblings. :pac:

3:30 anyway...
    No, its not 3.30. Its sub 3.30. Theres a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

No, its not 3.30. Its sub 3.30. Theres a difference.

Wanna race? :)

I'm looking for something to do :D

Thats Smackdown talk guys.......lets be having you so

RedB wrote: »
    Wanna race? :)

I'm looking for something to do :D
    We do everything together, dont we.

Yeah, why not? Of course we need a forfeit for the loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Agree with everything Tunney says for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

And like you said yesterday, I also have one speed; on or off.

You'd really want to fix that by running some shorter distances so. Do a bit of fast running to make marathon pace feel easy :)

Agree with everything Tunney says for a month.
    Already do. Stick with tri long enough and everyone does.

We do everything together, dont we.

Yeah, why not? Of course we need a forfeit for the loser.

Well, not EVERYTHING :rolleyes::D

Ladies choice on a forfeit. Bragging rights will do me :)

Well, not EVERYTHING :rolleyes::D
    Yes, it is best to clarify that. Or people will talk. :p
    Ladies choice on a forfeit. Bragging rights will do me :)
    I think our compatriots here should choose a suitable forfeit. Evil buggers that they are.

• Advertisement

I think our compatriots here should choose a suitable forfeit. Evil buggers that they are.

Loser cycles home from the marathon...

Not a problem for either of us. Might take a while tho, and be via a few pubs! :p

Now that's the kind of evil Oryx was talking about!

Super suggestion albeit a tad impractical and at least it didn't involve a 3.8km swim as well for the full reverse IM experience :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Not a problem for either of us. Might take a while tho, and be via a few pubs! :p

Loser buys all ARTers a pint after the race!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm thinking more in terms of high heels and lipstick for the loser - and a pic posted!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm thinking more in terms of high heels and lipstick for the loser - and a pic posted!
    I dont know what kind of impression that casts of me. I do scrub up sometimes you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

RedB in high heels. Poor guy will be smashing his head off every doorway!! He's like the anti-JB

Not that I'm being cocky or anything, Red, but what shoe size are you again? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I dont know what kind of impression that casts of me. I do scrub up sometimes you know!

But we haven't decided what you'll be doing in those heels and lipstick yet!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Not that I'm being cocky or anything, Red, but what shoe size are you again? ;)

11.5 and you know what they say ;):D

You've very small feet.

Yup. A man with big feet has.......

....big shoes.

Yeah.......ain't gonna happen.:)

As Oryx pointed out, the practicalities of getting a decent pair of high heels for the... <ahem>..... larger person are difficult. (or so I believe! :p)

RayCun wrote: »
    You'd really want to fix that by running some shorter distances so. Do a bit of fast running to make marathon pace feel easy :)
    Much as I hate it, this is the right advice. Today was a 3 mile run on the plan, so in an effort to get a bit of speed back I ran it as intervals. Out and back laps, roughly 800m on, 800m off. It hurt very badly. :) I realise I havent run at speed in years. Oh, how I've missed that need-to-puke feeling. 5.4k in 28mins which includes two complete gasping stops to recover. So. More of this kind of thing needed. God. :(

• Advertisement

Much as I hate it, this is the right advice. Today was a 3 mile run on the plan, so in an effort to get a bit of speed back I ran it as intervals. Out and back laps, roughly 800m on, 800m off. It hurt very badly. :) I realise I havent run at speed in years. Oh, how I've missed that need-to-puke feeling. 5.4k in 28mins which includes two complete gasping stops to recover. So. More of this kind of thing needed. God. :(

Speed work ain't fun at all, its so much easier to go long and "slow" !

I need a 5k race a week ago and was close to getting sick at 4k:p

Yep, it is the right advice. Strides, Intervals, tempo runs, lactate threshold sessions, etc here we come. We have the endurance, we just need to up the pace.

I've found the hard part is matching the pacing to the required distance/duration without blowing up or undercooking it. It does get easier with a bit of practice and you'll learn your 'redline' pace for the various distances. Do you have the Daniels spreadsheet where you input your time over a known distance e.g. 10K or HM and it gives you pace guides for all distances incl those speed sessions? If you use that guide with a Garmin, its a good starting point for getting the pace right.

Did 17km easy myself except it wasn't easy. Very sluggish :o. My fitness has dropped like a stone and doesn't want to come back easy :rolleyes:

Should you be doing speed stuff 3 weeks after the IM? I'd have thought a month of recovery before doing any serious work? 12 weeks of marathon specific work is plenty, especially with the base you've got.

Well I was supposed to train for that mountain tri from about now. That would be harder than doing this. Today was short and sharp, and I feel fine having done it. I will be adjusting things and building into distance slower than the plan dictates. Honestly I'm just flying by the seat of my pants right now, doing what I feel able for.

I do know my distance paces Red, the trouble is I am no good for the shorter stuff right now. That has to be worked on. :)

Did a double today. Into the pool after work for a bit of a paddle. As I walked onto the deck I realised I hadn't decided on a plan and had no clue what I wanted to do. Not good - I need the motivation of a session. :) Picked up a few pool toys and borrowed some fins and set to doing drills. Lots of kicking drills with one, two and no fins. One arm, rotations, pb, all sorts of stuff. Took my time so it wasn't very productive but it was fun. Called a halt after an hour, not sure of distance but somewhere above 1600m.

• Advertisement

Well. It's been about a week. I can't remember what I've done since the 26th when I last posted, but I doubt it was all that interesting anyway. I've been doing a bit of s/b/r but nothing worth writing home about. So I didn't.

Bunclody is Sunday. Just the thought of a race is making me feel tired. Particularly since I'm in wave 3 but I doubt my time will be as predicted. I'm planning to sleep lots over he next two days and see if I manage to feel human by Sunday.

Well. It's been about a week. I can't remember what I've done since the 26th when I last posted, but I doubt it was all that interesting anyway. I've been doing a bit of s/b/r but nothing worth writing home about. So I didn't.

Bunclody is Sunday. Just the thought of a race is making me feel tired. Particularly since I'm in wave 3 but I doubt my time will be as predicted. I'm planning to sleep lots over he next two days and see if I manage to feel human by Sunday.

I can't believe a race shorter than a sprint has YOU feeling tired:p

I can't believe a race shorter than a sprint has YOU feeling tired:p
    Ah, I'm just not myself. My kids are sick so maybe I'm getting what they have, I dont know. And Im not really on sprint form these days. :)

Ah, I'm just not myself. My kids are sick so maybe I'm getting what they have, I dont know. And Im not really on sprint form these days. :)

And there's no soup to look forward to at the end.

The weather doesn't look great either:(

And there's no soup to look forward to at the end.

The weather doesn't look great either:(
    If its pelting rain me and the Giant are staying home. :p

If its pelting rain me and the Giant are staying home. :p

But then you won't get to meet 49 shades of grey !

But then you won't get to meet 49 shades of grey !
    Ya wot?

Ya wot?

Its my new bike's name:D

Please, I beg you, give the poor thing a better name! :)

I would also like a new bike, Ive been drooling over some for ages....

What I want.

What I am worthy of.

Please, I beg you, give the poor thing a better name! :)

I would also like a new bike, Ive been drooling over some for ages....

What I want.

What I am worthy of.

They used the 2nd one in a few dualthlons in dublin ! I get you could finish in IM on one of those !

• Advertisement
Advertisement