Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

DjFlin wrote: »
    Sitting here having lunch. Trying to decide if I want to renew an 18 month contract & get a lumia. These decisions are killing me.

But it online sim free (simplyelectronics or amazon) then go on any network with it. It will work out the same price or cheaper and you can get a colour other than black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sitting here having lunch. Trying to decide if I want to renew an 18 month contract & get a lumia. These decisions are killing me.

Whats it got that you want? the camera? I get the impression that most windows phones are muchy mcmuchness

Im just listening to some feedback from people at launch of Lumia 800. Seems as majority of females are quite attracted to the OS as its slick and has all the social networks in one place. Direct picture uploads and etc.

Males not so much (self pride i think) and the admitance that its a cool phone. They just like their old one more than whats coming new :)

Theres a few girls around my job sporting windows phones these days now that you mention it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Yeah, so I got the Lumia....
    Do it! You're already getting shafted by vodafone with a sh1tty tariff, might as well vote with your antipathy as have a nice handset :D

After being on all the carriers, I'm ready to admit that Vodafone is the best one for me. Better coverage in my area for the same price I'm paying on Three.
    TBi wrote: »
    But it online sim free (simplyelectronics or amazon) then go on any network with it. It will work out the same price or cheaper and you can get a colour other than black.
    As above, I've no interest in going to other networks. Besides, I can unlock it for 20 quid at GSM Solutions in town.
    Bambi wrote: »
    Whats it got that you want? the camera? I get the impression that most windows phones are muchy mcmuchness

Well I'd be sticking with Windows Phone OS either way. So I chose the Lumia over the Titan etc simply because its beautiful, and has a good camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Were you at the launch ? Is that solicited feedback or just overheard conversations ?

No but i know a lot of the people who were. All the managers and more important staff at work received a free Nokia Lumia 800 demo.

So was just collecting feedback.

Some lads fling the screen up and down and put it down and say i dont like it without even trying it properly. Most of them are gonna get sold on done deal or adverts.ie so look out for bargains

Its sort of a waste of money when a company gives you a free phone and people abuse it then to make money of their pockets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Yeah, so I got the Lumia....

So I have to ask: what's it like?

So I have to ask: what's it like?

Well, the first thing you notice is the screen. Its hard to explain just how good it looks. So I took a photo of it side by side with my Optimus 7, but even that doesn't do a good enough job, because of the crappy lighting. My bad.
    Both phones were set to the same brightness level, theme, etc.

Another thing I've noticed is that its fast. I never really had a problem with the Optimus, so I was skeptical as to how much of a speed boost the Lumia could give, but by golly. Its fast.
    I'll have more to say after spending more time with the phone. Till then, enjoy my blurry photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

rossc007 wrote: »
    Easily wound up?

No, I just like straight answers, not pointless scripted replies from people who don't know enough about their jobs. The is not in the process of being created, it's done and dusted and has been on the American marketplace since November 2010. It just needs to be released for the Irish market, the same way they released the app in the iOS app store.

Next time, have something productive to say.

The day I get a new Windows Phone 7. Windows Phone 8 details get released. :(

Not all that bother to be honest. I got a WP7 at launch, and while I loved it in the end, the first few months were fairly rough going. I think I'll wait for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 to develop a little more than I did with Windows Phone 7.

What does worry me is that there's no mention of Windows Phone 7 devices. Obviously I'm not expecting them to be able to do everything WP8 hardware will be able to do, but I'd expect an upgrade in the same way that Apple released iOS5 to the iPhone 3GS.

Another thing that I noticed was the way they mentioned of Skype. Maybe I'm getting the wrong idea from it, but the article makes it look a little like Skype wont be launching on WP until it launches with WP8. Maybe it just means that Skype wont be integrated until WP8. At first the lack of a Skype App on WP7 wasn't that much of a hassle, but its getting out of hand at this point given Microsoft's acquisition of Skype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The leaked information only talks about the new OS but it does say that all current apps will work on Windows phone 8.

Also Microsoft only just sent out invitations on Tuesday to join the beta testing for Skype on the Windows Phone. Unless these people have some how got Windows Phone 8 :D

Windows Phone 8 will run on current Windows Phones and the new lower spec tango phones coming out soon.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

Microsoft doughnutted zune into windows phone 7 to try increase zunes penetration into the market, same way they do with all their crap products that they then eventually drop.

"Moreover, Windows Phone 8 will reportedly scrap integration with the desktop Zune client in favor of a syncing relationship with a dedicated companion application."

I knew they'd see sense he he :D

Not too sure about the bitlocker integration, bitlocker is a temperamental mofo in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

From this linked post
    http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-phone-8-preview-142154
    "Key new features of Windows Phone 8 include:
    Skype app. Still a separate but better app and not integrated into OS. Still optional."

Which would say to me that a Skype app will be released before Apollo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Reading the various sources, the only real reference to ActiveSync I see is that Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) will get policies, along with other much needed enterprise bolt-ons. They are saying that the sync client (Zune) will be replaced. Not neccessarily with ActiveSync.

And there is going to be some client, and it's going to sync everything with everything - something like that anyway. The great unwashed (me included) cannot successfully use drag'n'drop. Maybe mass-storage will be there for those that want it.

Also, this release is going to be aligned closely with Windows 8. They're not going to screw that up.

Oh, I love my Lumia - and I'm not a bird :)

ozymandius wrote: »
    Maybe mass-storage will be there for those that want it.

Yes, expandable memory is supported with Windows Phone 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Yes, expandable memory is supported with Windows Phone 8.

Just clarifying - I'm talking about the phone memory being USB mountable.

Yes, I see that removable SD is supported. Never really got that. If the device has enough storage to start with then why more? Other than 'because you can'? Last phone I had it never got removed, and it wansn't stuck under the battery like most these days. I suspect this is one of those check-list items, like multi-core.

Looking back on some of the Zune comments ... given that you need something to organize media, I would sooner have Zune with its crisp, clean design than the constipated, bloated thing that is iTunes.

Before all this happens I'd like to see the missing functionality (at least here) sorted. Things like Bing Music Search, Bing barcodes, Local Scout, Podcasts in Marketplace ... I hate this second class treatment.

ozymandius wrote: »
    Just clarifying - I'm talking about the phone memory being USB mountable.

Yes I see what you mean.

Any expandable memory will be treated as a new drive. For example your phones main storage would be the C: drive and the sd card would be seen as a D: drive. I would expect this to mean you can access the D: drive as removable storage but not the C: drive but we'll have to wait for this to be clarified.

I'm really only interested in the skpe at the moment as I do use it a lot at home. :)

The only thing im really missing from back up wise is message and app back up. If they managed to sync the messages to the Skydrive that would solve a headache of ever needing to go near a PC for the average joe like it used to work in Win Mobile.

Personally what i would like to see with Windows 8 is the death of Windows Media Player, Zune and Windows Media Centre...Thats three different media players from MS!!!!

Media Centre is very good and fluid. If they managed to take a bit from Zune and a bit from Media Centre and Media Player and merge the feature together and enforce a metro design that would be a win. No need to download extra software when you buy a windows phone. Just plug it in and its there for you asking you do you want to sync your phone with Windows.

All im missing right now really from back up wise is backing up game saves. I wish Ms would bring in game save back to the cloud like in the Xbox.

Imagine a windows phone with NFC and NFC on xbox. Touch your xbox with the windows phone on your friends xbox and your profile would pop up with your game saves for the session. No need to log in or other crap. Nice easy and simple, after the game session the profile would disappear. If the xbox isnt connected to the internet xbox would send data to the phone and the phone to the cloud. Cloud to your own xbox on what ye were doing.

Ugh removable memory cards. No no no...Even from end user point of view their ****ing horrible. Ive flashed so many roms on my sensation. Hard resets. Old information just gets left in the microSD card like trash that never gets taken out, slowing down the phone, taking up wasteful space. Let the phone take care of that thing for the average joe.

There should be no such thing as a MicroSD card in a phone, their slow, take lots of power and people lose them or brake them.

Best of all average joe doesnt even know its there. So why destroy that good user experience.

Im sure if MS would allow the same solution where you could read only pics and music from the USB connection like in the phone to be able to connect to USB music player or Xbox that would make lots of people happy

SOrry for the long post :D

Confirmed that skype is out in testing now, hopefully we'll see it on the 26th

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/2012/2/3/2768279/skype-for-windows-phone-internal-testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Inspired by the Simpsons it would appear!

Can I ask has anyone thought about coding a Data / Minutes / Texts usage app for any of the networks? I'm a bit jelly that there are android and iOS apps for all the Irish networks for checking your usage but WP7 has flip all. I don't expect O2 especially to put anything out there anytime soon considering their grasp on WP7 is tenuous at best... their support forum is routinely quoting WM6.5 resolutions to WP7 issues posted by their users.

• Advertisement

gman2k wrote: »
    From this linked post
    Skype app. Still a separate but better app and not integrated into OS. Still optional."

From what I read, a Skype app will be released in the next quarter, with it being fully integrated into Tango. I see no reason why Microsoft would not integrate Skype after paying a fortune for it! It would be mad not to take advantage. What amuses me though is that LinkedIn has integration but no standalone app!

chrislad wrote: »
    From this linked post

From what I read, a Skype app will be released in the next quarter, with it being fully integrated into Tango. I see no reason why Microsoft would not integrate Skype after paying a fortune for it! It would be mad not to take advantage. What amuses me though is that LinkedIn has integration but no standalone app!

The mobile version of linked in is just as useful as the app. I have the linked in app on android. It's only good to heck the feed and nothing else

You know, while I normally prefer smaller phones, I really want to go for the Titan instead of the Omnia W I have! Lovely screen on it, and I really enjoyed using my friends one but unfortunately, it wasn't available as a selection for my upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Not sure if this is the best place but, was out last night for the superbowl and one thing led to another and now my LG Optimus 7 screen is smashed up. Phone still seems to be working perfectly. I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to replace it??

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best place but, was out last night for the superbowl and one thing led to another and now my LG Optimus 7 screen is smashed up. Phone still seems to be working perfectly. I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to replace it??

Thanks.

A replacement screen is cheap enough off ebay, never done the job myself so no idea if it's tricky or not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-LG-E900-OPTIMUS-7-DISPLAY-LCD-SCREEN-/280706540262?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item415b69e2e6#ht_2630wt_822

invest4deepvalue.com

You know, while I normally prefer smaller phones, I really want to go for the Titan instead of the Omnia W I have! Lovely screen on it, and I really enjoyed using my friends one but unfortunately, it wasn't available as a selection for my upgrade.

Im getting the Titan myself. It was a tough call. But i just think the screen size for me is way too small. I dont want an Omnia W cause i had the Omnia 7 already and i would like 16GB of memory cause i bought Navigon and that takes up a lot of space (2GB to be precise)

So this weekend ill be giving my sensation to my gf and get myself the Titan. The screen is just awesome on it. Not amoled but what the heck. Dont have alot of choices here.

Too bad Samsung Focus S isnt available here. If it came out with the rest of the windows phones here id have my mind made up in a sec and have it in my hand the next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I am now the proud owner of the Nokia Lumia 800 and a lovely
    phone it is too. The only little bug bear I have is trying to connect
    it to the Blue&me in the car, the phone finds Blue&me and I enter the
    pin the car generates and it wont connect. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

Try the Fiat forum. The general consensus is to delete all previous info from previous phones and then try to connect again.

The Lumia runs WP7 so every WP7 will have the same issues/fixes.

Want a specific app to be released for Windows Phone? There is an (unofficial) request page for that!!
    We know that we are saying it for the hundredth time, but Windows Phone is actually a very nice mobile platform. In terms of software availability, however, it is lagging way behind the behemoths that iOS and Android already are. Of course, switching platforms is always an option if you want a better app variety, but if you prefer sticking to Windows Phone, here is something that you should check out.

There is a service called UserVoice. With its help, anyone can create a web page that collects user opinions or feedback on a given topic. And sure enough, a Windows Phone Marketplace Requests page has already popped up there, launched by Microsoft MVP Scott Dorman. Anyone who wants a particular application to be released for Windows Phone can simply post a request there. Currently, the most popular request is a Facebook application, but an Instagram app is not far behind in terms of votes. Releasing a Skype client is currently the third most popular request, and we are happy to say that it should be not that far from launching.

Of course, we have to emphasize on the fact that the page for Windows Phone app requests is not affiliated with Microsoft, so don't expect your wish to be fulfilled overnight. On the other hand, casting your vote might be a good way to get the developers' attention.

Source: PhoneArena
    Website Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Thanks for that, I had to update the version of Blue&me, once
    I did that it connected fine, and even downloaded the phonebook
    which my previous phone wouldnt do. So happy days! :D

Could do with some help on deciding which to chose.

HTC Titan or the Lumia 800 on this thread :)

Help appreciated

Check out this app http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=b9d1115b-2c0d-4e5d-afc6-fa6dcd84dda4

"Reinstaller" is one of thousands of great apps for Windows Phone. See more at WindowsPhone.com!

Great for reminding ya what apps you have installed in the past. ****ing hell I tried out a 1000 apps in total lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weatherfish

Hi can anyone help with this, i cant connect my omnia to my laptop, Zune on my lap top is saying no device connected even though phone is charging from there

Thanks in advance

Hi can anyone help with this, i cant connect my omnia to my laptop, Zune on my lap top is saying no device connected even though phone is charging from there

Thanks in advance

Did you reinstall lately? Have you tried add/removing the driver?

TBi wrote: »
    Did you reinstall lately? Have you tried add/removing the driver?
    Oh ill try that thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Thanks in advance
    are you using your original usb cable?

Opinions?

Im sort of mixed. Its seems cool yet a bit over complicated. The big banner seems uneccesary, as well as the facebook sign. I presume everyone knows were in the facebook app when we launch it.

UI in some parts of the App seem to be all over the place moving from one pattern to another.

As said im very mixed. I sort of liking the change from the ordinary but they could have reduced the clutter a little bit.

Opinions?

Im sort of mixed. Its seems cool yet a bit over complicated. The big banner seems uneccesary, as well as the facebook sign. I presume everyone knows were in the facebook app when we launch it.

UI in some parts of the App seem to be all over the place moving from one pattern to another.

As said im very mixed. I sort of liking the change from the ordinary but they could have reduced the clutter a little bit.

Haven't been prompted for an update yet. My version is still 2.2 and it is showing as 2.3 in the market. I can probably just uninstall and reinstall but not bothered as I rarely use the app, as I use the People menu.

Opinions?

Everything you said.

I like the banner, but it takes up a third of the screens real estate.

Its got more functionality, but its still lacking a bit. The privacy control was added, but its still quite basic.

Does anyone else find it kind of slow?

I'm not sure how to describe it.For all the added features, it still feels kind of beta-y. Sometimes I worry that if I start clicking stuff too fast, it'll just explode.

I'd really like to see Microsoft take the same approach to the People Hub as Google did with the Gmail app in Android. Update it as though it were a third party app, as opposed to a native one.

Haven't been prompted for an update yet. My version is still 2.2 and it is showing as 2.3 in the market. I can probably just uninstall and reinstall but not bothered as I rarely use the app, as I use the People menu.

You can force it to update with this easy trick.
    http://www.wpcentral.com/tip-force-app-update-windows-phone-marketplace-video

In terms of speed it hasnt really changed that much. Atleast the jumpy scrolling is fixed.

As said my most favorite and most disliked feature is the banner. Was good to see some old pics i wouldnt bother looking at most of the time but it takes up too much space :(

• Advertisement

I like it. It's much prettier looking. That's my review from about 25 seconds of usage.

Maybe its just me but on most blog comment boxes people actually like the UI.

Maybe im getting old and not able to adapt change lol

Maybe its just me but on most blog comment boxes people actually like the UI.

Maybe im getting old and not able to adapt change lol

No you're not.

The new interface is an example of how not to do a text heavy UI.

They went all out on the Panorama concept of WP7, and tried to cram everything into a single pan. A lot of things should have been dropped into a deeper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I actually haven't used the app since the Mango update. I downloaded it again, and I think that it's quite nice to be honest. That's also my review from 25 seconds of usage. :D

are you using your original usb cable?
    No i am using new cable did'nt think that would make difference

No you're not.

They went all out on the Panorama concept of WP7, and tried to cram everything into a single pan. A lot of things should have been dropped into a deeper option.

Well i went at it again a couple of times and got used to it :) Quite like it now. Even though i still think screen realestate could have been better made.

At least its really good for people with big fingers :D

No you're not.

Well i went at it again a couple of times and got used to it :) Quite like it now. Even though i still think screen realestate could have been better made.

At least its really good for people with big fingers :D

I unpined the people hub and tried using FB instead. But I just can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Plug the phone in via USB again, Go into Device manager under Portable devices, see if your Omnia 7 is displayed, if so uninstall and disconnect the phone and reconnect

I unpined the people hub and tried using FB instead. But I just can't.

Well its probably the new thing for me. Facebook app is always pined to start for me cause when i got to work i always check in with my colleagues :) Can only check in myself though with integrated function. Also if i need to write something on my College Class Page as well need to go through groups.So facebook is always pinned somewhere down the bottom :)

Built integrated Facebook is still much faster and easier to use.

Well its probably the new thing for me. Facebook app is always pined to start for me cause when i got to work i always check in with my colleagues :) Can only check in myself though with integrated function. Also if i need to write something on my College Class Page as well need to go through groups.So facebook is always pinned somewhere down the bottom :)

Built integrated Facebook is still much faster and easier to use.

I rarely use any of the features that aren't already in the People Hub. So I'm going to stick with it for the time being.

Also, does anyone else find the Live Tiles really messed up?
    Sometimes the Facebook tile updates very quickly, other times its inactive for hours on end.

And its not just Facebook. Live tiles are janky as hell on a lot of my favorite apps. The only one that never seems to mess up is the Me tile, and I'm assuming thats because its a native app.

I'm really disappointed with Live Tiles. When WP7 launched, we saw pictures of Twitter/Facebook tiles that showed actual data. Over a year later, and Facebook offers a little number in the corner, Twitter offers nothing.

MS went with the Ambient Data concept, and it really is a great one, but it feels like they gave up on it pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement