Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Dublin October 24th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

JR6 wrote: »
    Where do you get this? I was on fight Club website today and cheapest Presale option is for €75..

Its through the Sun+ service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wish I'd heeded the warnings about Sun+...

Having a nightmare trying to get the Fightpass Access which was offered as part of the sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

maximoose wrote: »
    Wish I'd heeded the warnings about Sun+...

Having a nightmare trying to get the Fightpass Access which was offered as part of the sign up.

I asked about that on their live chat. They said they would send those details on in September. Although I'm near certain he was confusing that with the presale code. Emailed UFC too, as it wasn't metioned on the sun website just in their email.

I was told by Live chat on Monday I'd have access details within 48 hours, nothing came so went back onto live chat yesterday and was told I'd have it within another 24 hours.

Surprise surpise nothing came, back onto livechat today and I'm told that fightpass is not included. I've just sent an email to their complaints lads with screenies of the sign up offer, and the welcome email which both show it as included - will see what they say.

Not sure if I read it here or not, but someone said they think Cathal Pendred could headline this event? Surely not!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

If Conor wins (which I think he will.) He will probably be too much of a international draw to have on a card in the Three Arena.

The time difference will more than likely ruin PPV buys, which are a major source of income for the UFC. They will more than likely keep him for bigger cards in the US.

I think we will see all the other Irish fighters on the roster, I am not sure who headlines. But if Cathal wins this weekend he will be 5-0 in the UFC no other Irish man will have that record bar Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Not sure if I read it here or not, but someone said they think Cathal Pendred could headline this event? Surely not!?

Well, you'd hope it would be against a ranked opponent, a good one.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Well, you'd hope it would be against a ranked opponent, a good one.

Tbh I'd hope he doesn't headline at all, even if he wins this weekend. Cathal isn't a headliner.

Are there any other names in the mix to headline besides Conor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Could be Paddy Holohan, after Glasgow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Tbh I'd hope he doesn't headline at all, even if he wins this weekend. Cathal isn't a headliner.

Are there any other names in the mix to headline besides Conor?
    There's been so many sub par fighters headline I wouldn't be hugely surprised. Just two examples

Maia vs. LaFlare

Bader vs. Saint Preux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If Pendred does headline a card ever, it won't be in Ireland as he'll be cannon fodder for a good prospect they're trying to build up, which they could do since he has a great record, but lacks the skill of a top fighter.

He'll be on the Irish card barring injury, but against a more evenly matched opponent, maybe Rick Story. That's a good co-main for an Irish card IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Might get announcement after 189 in post fight presser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

*WARNING*
    189 SPOILERS

Gunni to headline Dublin maybe? Thank God for John Howard, he saved us from the hellish possibility of Pendred headlining.

I know Conor has been vocal about getting on this card but I really don't see how. Obviously he can't face Aldo here but he could take a LW fight if Aldo was still to be out.

But with the unification tentatively suggested for January, there's no way Conor fights in late October.

Nelson vs Maia wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

DrPhilG wrote: »
    *WARNING*
    189 SPOILERS

Gunni to headline Dublin maybe? Thank God for John Howard, he saved us from the hellish possibility of Pendred headlining.

I know Conor has been vocal about getting on this card but I really don't see how. Obviously he can't face Aldo here but he could take a LW fight if Aldo was still to be out.

But with the unification tentatively suggested for January, there's no way Conor fights in late October.

Nelson vs Maia wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility though.
    Nelson vs. Maia is a lock for the main event IMO, unless they're being generous and we get the HW title eliminator of Miocic vs. Arlovski, but I doubt it. Can't really see what else they could give us, maybe Duffy vs. Masvidal or Dariush as co-main? I'd be happy with that personally, but I hope we get a big, international main event like the one I mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone think that they'll need McGregor's name to make it a stadium gig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Dana said if he beats Aldo in Vegas he'll let him defend in Ireland in a stadium. Won't be happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

I can see all the Irish lads on it, it makes zero sense not to?? Would love a Gunnar headline against Maia!! Does anyone think that there'll be a call up for any of the fighters competing on the bamma card or is ur to close together??

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

johnpro wrote: »
    I can see all the Irish lads on it, it makes zero sense not to?? Would love a Gunnar headline against Maia

Gunni isnt Irish.I dont we should be claiming other nationalities as Irish when if other nations claim an Irish athlete we are al up in arms like the BBC the other day claiming Mcgregor there was uproar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

davmol wrote: »
    Gunni isnt Irish.I dont we should be claiming other nationalities as Irish when if other nations claim an Irish athlete we are al up in arms like the BBC the other day claiming Mcgregor there was uproar.

There's a difference here in that McGregor has no real connection with being British. He doesn't train there, he wasn't born there, he's not associated with any team there..........

Gunni considers himself adopted Irish. He's affiliated with a team here. His team mates are all Irish.

There's also the manor in which we're claiming him. We're not claiming him for glory. We're claiming him because he's "one of us" the same way you might consider Ray Houghton or Jack Charlton "one of us".

We'd claim Gunni if he had a 2-40 record. I'm not sure the BBC would be rushing to claim Conor if his record was the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'd say Gunner will be on the card alright but not headlining.

McGregor at best will make an appearance but will in no way be on the card. He obviously has an issue with his knee that he needs either instense phsyio or surgery on so we won't be seeing him again until the Aldo fight which will most likely be in January.

Pendred may be on the card but nowhere near a headline slot, I don't know what to think of him tbh. I don't hate him , he seems like a decent lad but he doesn't seem to be natural in the cage , doesn't seem to possess much knockout power/ability and is a bit of a damp squib.

I kinda wanted to see Pendred do well on Saturday, he has been eh... uninspiring to say the least in the UFC but he gets an awful lot of stick for it on here and especially on reddit with the ironic GOAT status he has been given.

Jesus that fight was bad though :pac:

Won't be anywhere near a headline slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I can definitely see Gunni headlining. Can't see it being anybody else. Hopefully Hoolahan and Duffy are high up on the card too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bit of talk on the Twitter machine about the possibility of Gunnar v Thompson for the main event. John Kavanagh tweeting about how it'd be a good matchup and Dana tweeted Gunnar telling him not to forgot to "come see me". That could just be referring to giving him some sort of performance bonus from Saturday but you'd never know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Is there any presale for the newsletter like they used to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Tinie wrote: »
    Is there any presale for the newsletter like they used to?

There will be much closer to the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Gunni - Thomson would be a good headliner, bug task for Gunnar.
    Parke v Sanchez (again) maybe?
    Duffy v a top 30 assuming he wins in Glasgow.
    Hoolahan, Pendred, Seedy should all be in contention. Let's bring Amirkhani over from Finland too, he seems good craic.

I'm expecting this Dublin card to have a higher standard of fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

aishling daly?

aishling daly?

Yep, she should be another guarantee.

Is Ais doesn't win this weekend Dublin might be the last chance saloon for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

I hope I'm wrong but I think UFC are going to put their crappiest fighters on the card. McGregor obviously isn't on it and he was almost the only decent fighter on the last one. Irish MMA fans are much better off saving up and going to see UFC abroad, its just not worth the money to watch a bunch of prelim fighters and fighters who are only in the UFC because they are Irish

• Advertisement

its just not worth the money to watch a bunch of prelim fighters and fighters who are only in the UFC because they are Irish

Yeah, to hell with supporting our local fighters when they make the big stage...

That's the kind of mentality of those thousands in Vegas who didn't bother showing up to support Neil Seery, Cathal Pendred and Gunnar Nelson last Saturday night but poured in waving their flags and being patriotic when McGregor was about to come to the cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is Ais doesn't win this weekend Dublin might be the last chance saloon for her.

She's not fighting this weekend, or have I missed something? :) She commented on Twitter a while back that Dublin will be her next fight.

Paully D wrote: »
    She's not fighting this weekend, or have I missed something? :) She commented on Twitter a while back that Dublin will be her next fight.

Ah poop, where the hell did I get that notion?

Could have sworn she was fighting in Glasgow!

Must be still jetlagged...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I hope I'm wrong but I think UFC are going to put their crappiest fighters on the card. McGregor obviously isn't on it and he was almost the only decent fighter on the last one. Irish MMA fans are much better off saving up and going to see UFC abroad, its just not worth the money to watch a bunch of prelim fighters and fighters who are only in the UFC because they are Irish

Still going. It's taking place down the road for a lot of people. Why wouldn't you go. I don't agree with that at all. Just cos they're not already champions doesn't make them crappy. Are you saying Paddy Holohan is crappy?

If DW wants he can get big fighters for Dublin, our crowd has made it an appealing venue. Add a good main event to our Irish fighters (including Gunni), plus some European fighters and we could have a much higher quality card than last year.

Last year was entertaining but fighter quality was low. Gunni fought a tuf failure, so did Pendred, Parke fought a Japanese newbie etc. Now Gunni is top 15, Ais top 20, Parke top 30, Pendred and Holohan much more well known. We should see more well known opponents for our guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Give us Ben Rothwell vs the winner of Mir or Duffee. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

That_Guy wrote: »
    Give us Ben Rothwell

Good call. A loud Irish crowd might drown out a repeat of his creepy post fight interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Yeah, to hell with supporting our local fighters when they make the big stage...

That's the kind of mentality of those thousands in Vegas who didn't bother showing up to support Neil Seery, Cathal Pendred and Gunnar Nelson last Saturday night but poured in waving their flags and being patriotic when McGregor was about to come to the cage.

well 6 of us in vegas for fights missed seery fight due to one of our group having a ticket issue, but were there for rest and have to say gunnie got a great reaction. I felt pendred got under supported but then he brings it on himself with the way he fights.

If DW wants he can get big fighters for Dublin, our crowd has made it an appealing venue. Add a good main event to our Irish fighters (including Gunni), plus some European fighters and we could have a much higher quality card than last year.

Last year was entertaining but fighter quality was low. Gunni fought a tuf failure, so did Pendred,

Ha is pendred not by definition also a tuf reject. anyway pendred needs a good fight he got handed a win in boston by judges because hes irish, the fight in mexico was the worst i ever saw tbh. so ihope he improves, i`m much more intrested to see the hooligan he should bet more of a push than pendred does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Ha is pendred not by definition also a tuf reject. anyway pendred needs a good fight he got handed a win in boston by judges because hes irish, the fight in mexico was the worst i ever saw tbh. so ihope he improves, i`m much more intrested to see the hooligan he should bet more of a push than pendred does.

Did you miss his spectacle against Howard??

• Advertisement

Hardly, he won 4 in a row. If you have 5+ fights post tuf I wouldn't call it a failure. King on the other hand is 0-1 in ufc and failed a drug test. Has since got his p45.

Pendred won't get a big fight but he'll get better than Mike King. Regardless his fight will probably be boring, just pointing out that we should see bigger names.

Did you miss his spectacle against Howard??

lol for a second i thought you were serious...

Hardly, he won 4 in a row. If you have 5+ fights post tuf I wouldn't call it a failure. King on the other hand is 0-1 in ufc and failed a drug test. Has since got his p45.

Pendred won't get a big fight but he'll get better than Mike King. Regardless his fight will probably be boring, just pointing out that we should see bigger names.

I meant it as in he appeared on tuf and lost without getting to final.

well agreed king is a below average fighter, but he is one of penderds wins.
    Gasan Umalatov fight was another snoozer for his second.
    sam spencer was robbed and i hope you acknowledge that because almost every notable person in mma agrees.
    the montano fight was a horror show, although thats not pendreds fault in fairness he tried to make a fight of it.
    and now his first loss to howard was a terrible borefest as well.

anyway i want to see pendred do well of course im just worried hes not exciting and his record could very easily be 3-2 (should be 3-2) when the novelty wears off (the irish thing) he looks like a guy who could be very cuttable

I agree with all that, but I still wouldn't call him a tuf reject. He's probably done the best out of that tuf since leaving (albeit that was the lowest standard season of them all).

yeah i agree with you there a poor season, i hope he gets more exciting is all i mean hes a big guy lol.. at ufc 189 in vegas for his fight cheering was high then got lower and lower and lower then heard some boos, not good with the crowd he had.

needs a real good matchup next and an exciting fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

well agreed king is a below average fighter, but he is one of penderds wins.
    Gasan Umalatov fight was another snoozer for his second.
    sam spencer was robbed and i hope you acknowledge that because almost every notable person in mma agrees.
    the montano fight was a horror show, although thats not pendreds fault in fairness he tried to make a fight of it.
    and now his first loss to howard was a terrible borefest as well.

anyway i want to see pendred do well of course im just worried hes not exciting and his record could very easily be 3-2 (should be 3-2) when the novelty wears off (the irish thing) he looks like a guy who could be very cuttable

I have serious concerns for the guy, his style of fighting is just horrible to watch, which is a shame because he seems like a decent lad and of course we all want to see the Irish lads do well in UFC. In terms of his offence, all he seems to be able to do is push a guy to the cage and hold him there. Granted against King, he got a nice sub on him which won him the fight but that really is the only exciting moment in his UFC career. I would fear that if he loses his next fight, he may well end up getting cut. If he was an exciting fighter and lost a few, that would be fine but with his style of fighting, I really don't think he can afford to lose 2 in a row.

I have serious concerns for the guy, his style of fighting is just horrible to watch, which is a shame because he seems like a decent lad and of course we all want to see the Irish lads do well in UFC. In terms of his offence, all he seems to be able to do is push a guy to the cage and hold him there. Granted against King, he got a nice sub on him which won him the fight but that really is the only exciting moment in his UFC career. I would fear that if he loses his next fight, he may well end up getting cut. If he was an exciting fighter and lost a few, that would be fine but with his style of fighting, I really don't think he can afford to lose 2 in a row.

That is exactly what i mean, he fights the exact style that dana hates i.e. up against cage and lay and pray. He needs a break to figure something out is hopefully all he needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

That is exactly what i mean, he fights the exact style that dana hates i.e. up against cage and lay and pray. He needs a break to figure something out is hopefully all he needs

Throw a punch, for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

He has a decent jab and decent leg kicks, he just doesn't throw them enough and goes for stuff he just can't pull off without looking awkward. Every one of his fights i just spend 15 minutes shouting leg kick but he barely ever throws it.

• Advertisement

If I'm being completely honest, I think he's a good athlete and very big for the weight class, but every other aspect of his game is either average or below average.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement