Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Old diesel wrote: »
    The insignias may be on the road a lot - but I imagine so are a lot of the other cars on the fleet.

Actually saw a tweet recently re an overturned truck on the M6 (I think) where they closed off a section of the motorway around Athlone/Ballinasloe - and they had a pic of an Insignia blocking of the slip road - what would normally be used to join what was now a closed section.

They DO look the business - but the key question is - are they actually ANY GOOD.

That's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Yes that's the exact pic I saw tweeted by garda traffic (I think it was Garda Traffic)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I think there the most expensive/capable looking patrol car the Garda have had in a long time..The hyundai's will start looking dated very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭ratracer

I asked a mate of mine in TC what those insignias are like, he said they are great, but the mondeo is every bit as good as it. Both cars are the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there anyone that can comment on what the Hyundai are like and are they up to the every day work challenge?

How do they handle etc...

• Advertisement

Is there anyone that can comment on what the Hyundai are like and are they up to the every day work challenge?

Put it this way, I wouldn't take a free one.

Put it this way, I wouldn't take a free one.

What do regular think, better than Fiesta or 1.4 Focus?

D Trent wrote: »
    What do regular think, better than Fiesta or 1.4 Focus?

Better than the Fiesta in size and comfort. Suspension about as good. The Focus was better. I'm regular btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

The car will not hold up like the mondeos or focus did! But they are transport when lot of station had nothing

Regular cars are on the road 19+ Hours a day compare to traffic so the regular stuff will wear away first

Are all new traffic cars coming on stream fitted with ANPR.
    If not why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

If not why?

No not all on bases of operational! the i40 with anpr fitted is very nicely done

POGAN wrote: »
    No not all on bases of operational! the i40 with anpr fitted is very nicely done

Yeah I've seen a picture of the inside cockpit looks well
    Where is the nightvision cam placed I can never see it on any of the TC i40's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

E0xXfo

If not why?

Because there are only a fixed number of units available and they are deployed across the country for the Regions to decide which car gets them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is it a trick of the camera or is there lights well under the bumper? Looks like it would get knocked out if driven over a sleeping police man.

flazio wrote: »
    Is it a trick of the camera or is there lights well under the bumper? Looks like it would get knocked out if driven over a sleeping police man.

Just glare off the lens. It's a reflection of the light on the lightbar thats flashing bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Explain how you think a C reg Audi with no grille lights or dash lights or any indication of extra lights is an emergency vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

flazio wrote: »
    Explain how you think a C reg Audi with no grille lights or dash lights or any indication of extra lights is an emergency vehicle?

apologies was a sleep this morning i have delerted the offending post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

WOO-HOO :p,

'Police Set to Use New Trucks to Pursue Lawbreaking Motorists' :o

By Khuon Narim | August 13, 2015

Ahead of the enforcement of a stricter traffic law in January, the National Police have acquired a fleet of powerful new pickup trucks to pursue speeding motorists and other infractors, officials said Wednesday.

The new traffic law contains harsh penalties for speeding and drunk driving, and the 25 Mazda BT-50 trucks will be used to apprehend offending drivers when police begin enforcing the law, which was passed in December, said Run Rathveasna, director of the National Police’s order department.
    “The 25 Mazda pickup trucks will contribute to policing traffic issues,” he said. “We will do as they do in the U.S.: When somebody violates the law, we will chase them and stop them.”

Lieutenant General Rathveasna said that the trucks—which arrived in Cambodia on Wednesday—were a gift from National Police commissioner Neth Savoeun and that the roughly $40,000 vehicles would be equipped with sirens ordered from China. He said he did not know whether General Savoeun paid for the vehicles out of his own pocket. :rolleyes:

In Australia, laws have slowly changed to limit the speeds at which police can chase another vehicle due to the danger posed to those involved and others on the road. In June, the state of Victoria completely banned the pursuit of motorists for traffic offenses, limiting police to engage only in “imperative pursuits” in which suspected criminals pose a serious threat to citizens.

Contacted Wednesday, Ear Chariya, director of NGO Handicap International, which deals extensively with road safety, said that police should use the new fleet of Mazdas cautiously.

The new trucks, he said, would assist police in hit-and-run cases, which have become all too common, but warned that chases could lead to more carnage on the road.

“This tool could be a positive or a negative,” he said of the Mazdas, adding that drivers of the pickups should be trained to chase other vehicles safely.

(Additional reporting by Matt Blomberg)

I suppose this'd be a rolling subject as replacments get delivered but I'm wondering what the oldest active patrol car is ?

Today's Indo - Marked 03 Yaris in Listowel http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/former-allstar-garda-is-hit-with-hurleys-by-gang-in-foiled-burglary-31447511.html

• Advertisement

Capri wrote: »
    I suppose this'd be a rolling subject as replacments get delivered but I'm wondering what the oldest active patrol car is ?

Today's Indo - Marked 03 Yaris in Listowel http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/former-allstar-garda-is-hit-with-hurleys-by-gang-in-foiled-burglary-31447511.html

I'm guessing that's an old pic. But I've seen a couple of 02 unmarked yokes knocking about. A few 04 vans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

00 puntos, corollas, saw a 94 Laguna 2 years ago, 4 years ago a Wexford reg Celica 95 or 96, many many different and old yokes still going about.

Must be one of the last marked Mondeos around?. I don't see many of them now..

Saw an unmarked 14? Insignia 4x4 Country Tourer briefly near Harcourt St., not sure who was driving but it wasn't a uniformed member. Just wondering tho, surely the TC or the ERU should get the better stuff first rather than the Supt. of say 'the Banking Inquiry liason unit'.
    (Remember one time the place I worked in would send ropey vehicles to say Donegal while the latest stuff was just used around Dublin - no logic to fleet managers decisions ?? )

Santana Land Rover up at the Civil Defence

Capri wrote: »
    Just wondering tho, surely the TC or the ERU should get the better stuff first rather than the Supt. of say 'the Banking Inquiry liason unit'.

That's what happens when you don't have a vehicle allocation policy, it's up to the AC's where vehicles go, then Chiefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I saw an unmarked Insignia Tourer from the PSNI today. I tried to get a photo, but it wasn't great. I've attached it anyway. I saw it with the boot open. The additional hazard lights were flashing and then there were blue and red strobes alternating on the bottom of the boot lid, alongside the locking mechanism. There was a thick black aerial in front of the car's aerial, probably for some form of data terminal.

I saw an unmarked Insignia Tourer from the PSNI today. I tried to get a photo, but it wasn't great. I've attached it anyway. I saw it with the boot open. The additional hazard lights were flashing and then there were blue and red strobes alternating on the bottom of the boot lid, alongside the locking mechanism. There was a thick black aerial in front of the car's aerial, probably for some form of data terminal.

It's better than nothing
    This in Belfast correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It's better than nothing
    This in Belfast correct ?

Yes, on the Albertbridge Road. I was on the 4A bus.

Those Insignias really are the best looking car on sale right now?

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    Those Insignias really are the best looking car on sale right now?

Face lifted Avensis would rival it.

Not a fan of new Mondeo

Advertisement