Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung galaxy note 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Inquitus wrote: »
    Well the resolution is half that of the Note 4....

The Note 3 is full HD which is more than enough for a <10" device IMO

Ultra-high resolutions and such are just for marketing really. As I said on the last page, like PCs and TVs a few years ago, smartphones have hit a wall I think from a development/innovation standpoint.

With TVs it's "3D", "Smart TV", "4k Ultra HD" etc... but the average punter won't even use most of those after the first few days - still "it does everything your old one does but only slightly better" doesn't sell new models does it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The Note 3 is full HD which is more than enough for a <10" device IMO

Ultra-high resolutions and such are just for marketing really. As I said on the last page, like PCs and TVs a few years ago, smartphones have hit a wall I think from a development/innovation standpoint.

With TVs it's "3D", "Smart TV", "4k Ultra HD" etc... but the average punter won't even use most of those after the first few days - still "it does everything your old one does but only slightly better" doesn't sell new models does it? :)

I've said this before, but I'd be far happier if the note 4 had a 1080p panel. QHD is a negative mark for me. Still note 4 is still the front runner for my cash. Shamu is the only thing I'm waiting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If you're thinking of getting the Gear VR or similar cheaper kits for 3D/VR for it then the higher resolution is a big advantage as you're essentially cutting your resolution in half with the split-screen rendering. I recently moved from S3 to S4 for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

WTF. amazon.de sells the phone for €995,91

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

leemaree wrote: »
    WTF. amazon.de sells the phone for €995,91

Hey man ease off, it's a bargain, they've reduced it by €3.09!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I wonder how much it's going to be on contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I called Vodafone earlier and was told the end of October at least before it (and the 6 Plus) appear.

That's very close to the Google devices so I may just get one of those and they don't get a contract renewal.

I hope it's not the end of Oct. 20. Like 02 said check back after Sept. 20

The Galaxy Note 4 is €769 on amazon.de

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

So you said you were holding out for the iPhone 6 announcement before making up your mind.
    What made up your mind?
    The same camera as the 5s?
    The same battery as the 5s?
    The tweaked processor over the 5s?
    The extra 22 pixels per inch?

It's just im finding it hard to figure out what tipped you over the edge when you were undecided up to two days ago?
    We all new it was gonna be 5.5 inches months ago so it couldn't be that.
    The reason I'm comparing it to the 5s and not the note 4 is because it's not even a fair comparison to the note 4 and if you're happy with the details that were released last night then why didn't you jump ship long ago to the 5s which in essence is the same besides the extra inch.

apple fan boys are in a league of their own, let them be.

when they realise they need to visit designated 'apple' NFC outlets and that need need an apple app to remove a u2 album i am sure they will know they are in 7th heaven with their advanced toy.

the galaxy note 4 is is a different galaxy to the iphone 6

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Pulled the trigger! Ordered black Note 4 from Clove. Now only sell my liver :-)

kave2 wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger! Ordered black Note 4 from Clove. Now only sell my liver :-)

I think that's a reasonable price considering it's from the UK although £575 is €727

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I hope some of you will be selling your Note 3s!

I hope some of you will be selling your Note 3s!

Don't have one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hachiko wrote: »
    apple fan boys are in a league of their own, let them be.

when they realise they need to visit designated 'apple' NFC outlets and that need need an apple app to remove a u2 album i am sure they will know they are in 7th heaven with their advanced toy.

the galaxy note 4 is is a different galaxy to the iphone 6

Fanboys in general are in a league of their own. The factionalism that occurs when people talk about apple vs android, android vs apple puzzles me. It's like we treat them as entirely different products, even though they're all extremely good smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Official release information: http://www.androidcentral.com/heres-when-you-will-be-able-buy-galaxy-note-4-uk
    I wonder would it be possible to pre-order it in the Samsung store in Dundrum shopping centre? Its the only Samsung store in Ireland as far as I'm aware? Might be cheaper and quicker than buying from Clove?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Official release information: http://www.androidcentral.com/heres-when-you-will-be-able-buy-galaxy-note-4-uk
    I wonder would it be possible to pre-order it in the Samsung store in Dundrum shopping centre? Its the only Samsung store in Ireland as far as I'm aware? Might be cheaper and quicker than buying from Clove?

There's one in Mahon Point as well. They're just carphonewarehouse so I'd expect a lot more of them soon.

• Advertisement

Can't help but think they have messed up a bit with the release date. The announced this prior to the iPhone 6 Plus but are launching it well after it. They will surely lose a nice chunk of potential buyers as a result of the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

That's only Meteor saying that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

leemaree wrote: »
    That's only Meteor saying that

And if I read that correctly, only somebody on the Meteor forum, not Meteor themselves.

dulpit wrote: »
    And if I read that correctly, only somebody on the Meteor forum, not Meteor themselves.

Excatly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Can't help but think they have messed up a bit with the release date. The announced this prior to the iPhone 6 Plus but are launching it well after it. They will surely lose a nice chunk of potential buyers as a result of the delay.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't imagine many of the people who were thinking of buying the note 4 would be the sort of people who would consider switching to an iPhone plus instead just to get a big new phone in their hands slightly quicker.

It just seems like the user base for both platforms is well established now, several generations in and pretty well polarised one way or the other apart from a few defectors here and there.

vibe666 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't imagine many of the people who were thinking of buying the note 4 would be the sort of people who would consider switching to an iPhone plus instead just to get a big new phone in their hands slightly quicker.

It just seems like the user base for both platforms is well established now, several generations in and pretty well polarised one way or the other apart from a few defectors here and there.

I'm equally happy with either operating system and alternate between them so I would be happy with either phone. They are the only two phablet flagship options available. If you want a phablet your options are limited, meaning your choice at the moment is last years note 3 or the 6 plus. Most people would go for the newer phone.

I think with both operating systems increasingly similar it's a lot less of a learning curve than there was to jumping ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

They are the only two phablet flagship options available. If you want a phablet your options are limited, meaning your choice at the moment is last years note 3 or the 6 plus. Most people would go for the newer phone.

There's alot more options in the phablet market than these two. Have you heard of the Oneplus one? its a 5.5 inch screen with brilliant performance. Similarly the LG G3 and LG G pro two are also great devices with the Pro 2 offering a 5.9 inch screen.

Sony offer the Xperia Z ultra which packs a massive 6.4 inch display. Also if windows OS isnt a problem its probably worth checking out the Lumia 1520.

Never been as many options for people looking for larger screen phones.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

dulpit wrote: »

I remember on launch day it was stated that the only European country to be getting it was Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've got both the Note3 and an OPO in daily use now and aside from the stylus, you've be hard pushed to choose between them tbh, if anything the OPO has the lead in a few areas like battery life and performance, although some of that is probably down to Samsung bloat.

Advertisement