Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

• 10-05-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭

Modnote - Thread moved to new thread because the other one was near 10k posts.

Bangernomics part 3 here

Bangernomics rules:
    Under €2000
    Valid NCT
    Something you'd actually drive yourself
    VRT paid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

CianRyan wrote: »
    Yeah, make a pretty boring track car with that box.

Ahh missed that. Yeah agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Soarer wrote: »

With no tax/test, that belongs in the dreamers thread. They're woeful yokes, but give it a few more years and they'll have a cult following like the MK1/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

Kaiser D wrote: »
    With no tax/test, that belongs in the dreamers thread. They're woeful yokes, but give it a few more years and they'll have a cult following like the MK1/2.

Jaysus, didn't even spot the tax/test!:o

Was besotted by the clean boot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...They're woeful yokes, but give it a few more years and they'll have a cult following like the MK1/2.

They're already getting the attention of the bearded rivet-counting demograph in the U.K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Judging by the number plate - bearing in mind that in Dublin the numbers rise quite fast in a year - that Fiesta is a pretty early version of that model.

They came out in April of 89 from what I remember

Still doesn't appeal though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

NzFkN2Q4NTc0MWQwY2NmYTY3NzU0NmE2NTc0NDQ2Mzer1XWliutYDj65cs2PF-FNaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZTZjYzIwMGEwODQ2ZjNjMDA5MmQ4NzJkYmViOTM4NjY4YzkzZDkxZmMxMjNjNzgwMjY1MTQxYzIxYTIxNjFhMi5qcGd8fDI5NHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9jYXItaW1hZ2UuanBnfA==.jpg

1000 yoyos new nct, tax till june

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Advertisement

Bmw compact (still think these will eventually be appreciated!)
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-nct-01-15-tax-06-14/6487825

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

colm_mcm wrote: »

Vile looking thing IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

colm_mcm wrote: »

Never liked them, looks too much like an astra. nothing against astras, but if youre forking out for a bmw, i want it to look like a bmw, and not a generic GM model that is copied around the world under different licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

'04 Alfa 147 Taxed and NCT'd €1900
    28935238.jpeg

Don't know anything about these, but seems awful cheap, underpowered maybe? '03 NCT'd, few days tax €1350
    28934528.jpeg

'02 X type. Year of NCT, no mention of tax. €1500
    28928854.jpeg

That Jag has been sale a while now, wonder why it hasn't sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

If the mileage is genuine, this 206 is definitely bangernomictastic:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-peugeot-206-tax-nct-cheap/6593021

Asking €950, nct'd until July.

27739957.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭daz16

W123-80's wrote: »

How is this not sold?Seems great value lowish miles nct etc? Looks straight too.

• Advertisement

2001 civic saloon
    Full service history
    nct 2/15
    tax 4/14
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-honda-civic-saloon/6735714
    €995

2000 saab 93
    nct 2/15
    looks tidy
    €795
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-new-nct/6832834

2003 Accord
    Low spec
    Nct 8/14
    Tax 4/14
    no mention of miles
    €1550
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord/6831166

That Jag has been sale a while now, wonder why it hasn't sold.

The notion of a 2.1l Jaaag probably frightens the shyte out of a lot of people. Needlessly - that's the baby AJ-V6, they're as hard as nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

daz16 wrote: »
    How is this not sold?Seems great value lowish miles nct etc? Looks straight too.

209k miles on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Pops_20

W123-80's wrote: »
    stevire wrote: »
    209k miles on it
    Could have sworn it was up with 137k? 209 answers all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/98-honda-civic-1-4-auto-nct-till-oct-14/6825468
    28907050.jpeg
    Owner is even nice enough to throw in a roof rack and bike rack.

What are the auto boxes like on them?

Anything in particular to look out for if viewing this,it seems very cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

2001 civic saloon
    Full service history
    nct 2/15
    tax 4/14
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-honda-civic-saloon/6735714

Posted here already..............…...by me :pac:

wiz569 wrote: »

Literally nothing goes wrong with those cars. They have fantastic reliability and the auto box doesn't seem to give issues on them, unlike the accord of the same era.

The only thing to look out for really is rust on the arches and underbody. Also make sure that there is plenty of oil in the engine and that there is no strange noises coming from it on the test drive.

I'd personally opt for a manual example over automatic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

• Advertisement

wiz569 wrote: »

Mighty. That particular one is an S24A, and Honda use their own design based on the old "Hondamatic" system that doesn't use planetary gearsets or hydraulic shifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

stevire wrote: »
    209k miles on it

That engine is indestructible though. That mileage wouldn't bother me at bangernomics money when it looks like the car was well maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Nice car, nice equipment level but it's a 220, not a 230.
    bear1 wrote: »
    Vile looking thing IMO

I think they look crap too. Far too fussy, though to be fair I generally didn't like Chris bangle's stuff. I like the original compact though, a decent car.

That W124 Coupe hasn't sold as tha car doesn't have a massive fan base. It's a bit pricey for a low spec one as well, though it looks to be in excellent condition and if the Pirelli's are relatively new, then it's probably been well looked after on the mechanical side as well.

This might be interesting to somebody, €1850, €56 tax and NCT free. Might be interesting as a rolling resto, if it's substance is any good you can surely sell it for the same or very near it in a couple of years.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/porsche-924-price-drop/6339503

26467121.jpeg

unkel wrote: »
    That engine is indestructible though. That mileage wouldn't bother me at bangernomics money when it looks like the car was well maintained.

This^^ Those cars take the miles very well. I wouldn't consider 209k miles to be massive mileage on one, especially a clean example.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/could-this-be-the-best-carina-e-for-sale/6776394

cockey advert and a litte bit dear but if you got him down closer to 1k, motoring won't come any more reliable.

Id imagine that a lot of the fan base for a W124 Coupe - probably already have one - which reduces the demand further.

Stunning cars

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/could-this-be-the-best-carina-e-for-sale/6776394

cockey advert and a litte bit dear but if you got him down closer to 1k, motoring won't come any more reliable.

Granted that's a Japanese built carina rather than the later inferior uk built carina but I alway thought that those E's were very overrated in the build quality department. Imo its predecessor, the carina II was a far superior car.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Granted that's a Japanese built carina rather than the later inferior uk built carina but I alway thought that those E's were very overrated in the build quality department. Imo its predecessor, the carina II was a far superior car.

indeed, but you could probably still do a daily commute in a carina e, whereas the 2 is a lot less refined.

the whole advert is very cockey, just noticed it's advertised in vintage cars too.

He has really shined the feck out of those bumpers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Could have sworn it was up with 137k? 209 answers all.

I think you still have a valid question. If the car is even close to as good as it looks and the engine is clean and looked after the mileage (209k) should not be a concern.

At that kind of money its still a steal, most of these are wrecked or asking crazy money..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

This is a steal !

If I was changing car I'd be all over this like a fly on ****e

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/6837024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

This is a steal !

Actually... I'm waiting on news for a new job better paying.... if I get it I'm getting this as a second car !

This is a steal !

i think it looks horrific, particularly in silver. all ****ty unpainted chunky plastic mouldings, tiny wheels lost in the arches, un co-ordinated steering wheel colour and such.

looks like something the salesman would flog to your elderly dad that he didn't really want or need.

i see your point KSL, it seems good on paper. just a shame they couldn't wrap it up in a sleeker package.

a set of larger wheels would change it night and day.

a set of larger wheels would change it night and day.

i have to say i agree, they seem to be standards on the XC70s.

i dont actually know what tyre size they are, i wonder if they are chunky at all for AWD grip

indeed, but you could probably still do a daily commute in a carina e, whereas the 2 is a lot less refined.

the whole advert is very cockey, just noticed it's advertised in vintage cars too.

Im not sure why a Carina II wouldn't be capable of doing a daily commute :confused:

Don't recall them been particularly unrefined - quite the opposite actually.

Yes they can be a bit noisy from memory when giving it the wellie at around the 4,500 to 5000 rpm range - but how often would you actually need to do that :confused:

If you do need to give it the beans on an overtake or getting up to speed quickly from a junction - or a motorway slip - youd hardly be worrying about the car been a bit noisy

Although possibly Carina IIs aren't as refined as I recall as I haven't been in one for quite a while :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

28079484.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-mx5-1-6-cabriolet-new-nct28022015/6660047
    €1800

Pros:
    NCT 02/15
    Hardtop

Cons:
    No tax - €500
    High mileage - 180k km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Brian wrote: »
    Cons:
    No tax - €500
    High mileage - 180k km
    Is 180k km really considered high mileage these days? Thats barely over 11k km per year, or 110k miles in old money :confused:

Old diesel wrote: »
    Im not sure why a Carina II wouldn't be capable of doing a daily commute :confused:

Don't recall them been particularly unrefined - quite the opposite actually.

Yes they can be a bit noisy from memory when giving it the wellie at around the 4,500 to 5000 rpm range - but how often would you actually need to do that :confused:

If you do need to give it the beans on an overtake or getting up to speed quickly from a junction - or a motorway slip - youd hardly be worrying about the car been a bit noisy

Although possibly Carina IIs aren't as refined as I recall as I haven't been in one for quite a while :(

i havn't really done my research on this one but i think it would be fair to say that the carina 2 doesn't have the likes of airbags or abs, things i would like in a car i was doing a relatively large amount of driving in, whereas i'm sure the carina E has both.

similarly in terms of crash protection and even sound insulation etc, i'd be sure that the E is a much better car. other little things like central locking and electric windows that most 2's probably don't have.

also in the average carpark an E could still go un-noticed as an average car whereas most 2's at this stage will stick out like an old banger. not that that would bother me too much, but you know what i mean.

i havn't really done my research on this one but i think it would be fair to say that the carina 2 doesn't have the likes of airbags or abs, things i would like in a car i was doing a relatively large amount of driving in, whereas i'm sure the carina E has both.

similarly in terms of crash protection and even sound insulation etc, i'd be sure that the E is a much better car. other little things like central locking and electric windows that most 2's probably don't have.

also in the average carpark an E could still go un-noticed as an average car whereas most 2's at this stage will stick out like an old banger. not that that would bother me too much, but you know what i mean.

The E you posted doesn't have airbags or abs. The E didn't get airbags until the last year of production in late 96, early 97. Most E's in this country also came with manual windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by the E going "unnoticed" and the 2 "sticking out like an old banger" as the 2 imo a better looking, higher quality car than the bulky looking E.

Also in terms of refinement I found, from my experience of the two cars, the 2 to be more refined, nicer car to drive than the E and a more comfortable place to be as a passenger too.

Almost all 1.6 E's have a horrible pingging sound from the engine when accelerating and come with a horrible cloth interior which is a far cry from the now dated but much nicer suede interior of the 2. Granted some early E's in gli spec came with a suede effect interior too but these are few and far between.

The 2 can could be got with full electrics too in 2.0gli form. This includes 4X elec windows, mirrors and sunroof. This model also came with efi and is a peach of a car. Uk examples in 1.6 form could also be got with similar spec to the to the gli but lacked the efi.

I can't imagine crash protection being much better on the E, albeit before airbags were fitted in 96, 97.

I still maintain that the 2 is a superior car in quality both mechanically and aesthetically to an E.

Everyone has different tastes though and maybe the E would be preferred by some.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement