Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next big thing in Health and Fitness

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Here you guys, $25k gym membership :rolleyes:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-25000-gym-membership-2013-01-11
    annual membership comes with an extensive fitness evaluation and two training sessions a week with a “Tier 4” personal coach. (Equinox says Tier 4 is the gym’s most elite training program — an exercise “prescription” that takes into consideration body composition, metabolic rate, gait and ability to move.) Of course, the club offers all the usual equipment, from treadmills to free weights, but Harris says the focus is less on what’s there and more on what you do with it under a trainer’s careful supervision. And that applies regardless of whether you’re a beginner or a pro. “We take the view that everyone is an athlete,” Harris says.

Everyones an athlete on the inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Equinox in London charges 90 sterling per hour personal training yet only pays their trainers 20 sterling so you're paying more than market rate for a trainer who's willing to work for 1/3 of market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Equinox in London charges 90 sterling per hour personal training yet only pays their trainers 20 sterling so you're paying more than market rate for a trainer who's willing to work for 1/3 of market rate.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

If you wouldn't go to a trainer that's cheap, then certainly don't go to a trainer that's cheap and pay well over the odds for it.

If you wouldn't go to a trainer that's cheap, then certainly don't go to a trainer that's cheap and pay well over the odds for it.

No, I know. Just don't understand how they get away with that!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They'll be installing an :how can they do that: emoticon soon ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Because most trainers are ****ing idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I dont see any problem with it. £20 an hour isnt bad money assuming it's Equinox that's brining in the clients and not the trainers.. The other £70 goes for the equipment, overheads, advertising and profit margins. Just good buisness it in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I dont see any problem with it. £20 an hour isnt bad money assuming it's Equinox that's brining in the clients and not the trainers.. The other £70 goes for the equipment, overheads, advertising and profit margins. Just good buisness it in all honesty.
    its good business for the gym but only foolish trainers need apply.

Westwood and Total fitness and Jackie skellys did this years ago (instead of a flat fee for the trainers they took a massive chunk of every session) and it created the demise of the big box gym for which i am truly greatful i.e. all the trainers left, set up their own business (it was the push they needed) and took all their clients with them.

this left the gym with bottom of the ladder trainers who were willing to take the rock bottom price to do personal training. Talk to any self respecting trainer working in the likes of ww, ben dunnes etc and they will tell you they all want out.

The likes of Ben Dunnes promote they wont be beaten on price. I think thats laughable as do people really devalue their health that much that they are willing to pay the absolute minimum for it?

Smart move = join a typical cheap gym that has EVERYTHING you need + go to a trainer exterally (if needed) for your programming = winning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Ok, look at my figures from when I was running my business in London. I charged between 60-70 per training session depending on the package the client was on. Lets say take 60 as the base. I normally done 30 hours a week of training sessions, I'm going to knock 5 hours off that to count for seasonaly fluctuations.

I also billed my clients for diet and program design but we'll skip that.

I paid the gym I trained people from 925 pcm for rent that was my only overhead that a trainer hired by a gym wouldn't have. The gym I worked out of also passed clients to me.

Total weekly earnings: 1500
    Total weekly costs: 215
    Total take home: 1285

In equinox you're expected to develop your own client base, ie do sales but you're only paid for your face time, So if you get up to 25 hours at 20 per hour of which you start with no clients. also with equinox you have to do their in-house personal training course which is 7k with no guarantee of work after.

Take home: 500

If you have any business acumen its a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Transform wrote: »
    its good business for the gym but only foolish trainers need apply.

Or people just starting out needing experience too.
    Transform wrote: »
    Smart move = join a typical cheap gym that has EVERYTHING you need + go to a trainer exterally (if needed) for your programming = winning

Totally
    Ok, look at my figures from when I was running my business in London. I charged between 60-70 per training session depending on the package the client was on. Lets say take 60 as the base. I normally done 30 hours a week of training sessions, I'm going to knock 5 hours off that to count for seasonaly fluctuations.

I paid the gym I trained people from 925 pcm for rent that was my only overhead that a trainer hired by a gym wouldn't have. The gym I worked out of also passed clients to me.

In equinox you're expected to develop your own client base, ie do sales but you're only paid for your face time, So if you get up to 25 hours at 20 per hour of which you start with no clients. also with equinox you have to do their in-house personal training course which is 7k with no guarantee of work after.

I get that. I'm not agreeing with the way equinox pay their staff/trainers, merely pointing out the obvious. If they didnt have the trainers needed, they'd need to up the trainers pay to get them but London may be overrun with personal trainers. I dont know

So the end result of this is the trainee pays above market rate for a trainer who is probably less able on average and is likely lacking morale due to the fact that he's broke and stressed out hustling for new clients to up his weekly take home.

It's good business for Equinox if they're getting away with it, but it's a bad deal for the trainer and trainee.

I think good coaches deserve to make a living and am happy to pay for that. You can't expect a good committed service otherwise. If you're paying that and it isn't going to the coaches then it's a bad investment in yourself. As such, the customer is also an idiot in this scenario for not doing their research and understanding the economics involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I think good coaches deserve to make a living and am happy to pay for that. You can't expect a good committed service otherwise. If you're paying that and it isn't going to the coaches then it's a bad investment in yourself. As such, the customer is also an idiot in this scenario for not doing their research and understanding the economics involved.

how would the customer know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Or people just starting out needing experience too.

Totally

I get that. I'm not agreeing with the way equinox pay their staff/trainers, merely pointing out the obvious. If they didnt have the trainers needed, they'd need to up the trainers pay to get them but London may be overrun with personal trainers. I dont know
    The experience should come from working under an already established coach

New trainer need to focus on doing less courses and working with more coaches or at the very least reading and watching everything they post or blog about. Most won't do this because they see something more attractive from an e.g. American coach not realising Ireland is packed with great coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

I find all this funny as its the sh!t that has been going on in the circus and dance world for the last 15 years so I have trouble taking it serious for some reason.
    It is an old post but I totally agree..
    There is nothing new with Ido portal/movement/flow and there is too much buzz at the moment about it.
    Yeah, everything you do in the gym,home, outside is still a movement isn't it?
    What people dont understand is that Ido has a background in gymnastics and the moves he is using are basically lots of gymnastics movement and changed it to make it sound fancier..
    A handstand is still a handstand, a one arm HS is still a one arm HS, a pullup or a one arm pullup is still the same movement etc... There are different ways to work them and achieve them.. You only have to spend the time to practice and you will get there.. It is like playing guitar - to be good at it, just practice it..nothing new really..
    Gymnasts, ballets dancer, acrobats been on the scene and move well before Ido came into the scene..
    So whats new with movement and flow???
    Not that I dont like Ido, but I think it is a bit overrated.. IMHO..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Well if he gets people motived to get moving or helps athletes to move better and he makes some money from it fair play to him.

I guess that’s what the whole health and fitness industry is about repackage some old stuff create a buzz about it and make some money. The tried and tested basics will live on and the rest will fall away.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Hanley wrote: »
    Ido Portal/MovNat/Flow style stuff.

Movnat looks really cool, plus those videos of Erwan Corre..

I think the next big thing in fitness will be 'Play' ie gym equipment that wouldn't look out of place in a children's playground.

I think it's wishful thinking, I've always resented the fact that your not allowed in those huge playworld type places once you turn 12.

Giant adult sized ball pools, think about it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think the next big thing in fitness will be 'Play' ie gym equipment that wouldn't look out of place in a children's playground.

I think it's wishful thinking, I've always resented the fact that your not allowed in those huge playworld type places once you turn 12.

Giant adult sized ball pools, think about it!
    That would be amazing, there'd be serious demand if it paid off like a conventional gym.
    Monkey bars, foam steps, squating to pick up plastic balls, shoulder pressing children...ah I can see it now

Advertisement