Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

I've started watching Jericho at the minute. People on here have recommended it before so giving it a go. Really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

budhabob wrote: »
    I've started watching Jericho at the minute. People on here have recommended it before so giving it a go. Really enjoying it so far.

Really enjoyed that show when it aired, was a pity when it cancelled but I thought they had a lot of fun in the last half a season or so....Nuts!

sillo wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that show when it aired, was a pity when it cancelled but I thought they had a lot of fun in the last half a season or so....Nuts!

It's been continued through the medium of comicbook. You can pick up season 3 online and it's well worth a read for fans of the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just watched a doco on the evils of walmart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Watched a movie there "hard candy" Jesus I don't know what to make of it. It was an ok film but it's kinda fked up...if you watch you'll know what I mean :eek:

Don't know what to make of netflix at the moment. Not much of a selection on there and the layout is kinda crappy. Not gonna pay after my month is up until they start adding decent titles to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

LaVail wrote: »
    Watched a movie there "hard candy" Jesus I don't know what to make of it. It was an ok film but it's kinda fked up...if you watch you'll know what I mean :eek:

Indeed. It's a good movie but hard to watch if you are a bloke. I tell you one thing.....you will never look at Ellen Page the same way again! :p

Fair played to her though, she does the part justice. It was kind of her breakout role and got her noticed for stuff like x-men, juno, inception etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Watched Senna last night, fantastic and dramatic documentary and I've no interest in Formula 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

While the streaming technology seems to be excellent, I think I'll be cancelling my subscription before the free month is up unless they significantly improve their very crappy selection of movies - very poor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Zirconia wrote: »
    While the streaming technology seems to be excellent, I think I'll be cancelling my subscription before the free month is up unless they significantly improve their very crappy selection of movies - very poor!

This is a recommendations thread

Great documentary called "Best, Worse Movie" about a awful film called "Troll 2" that has become a cult hit because of its awfulness, some whacky characters in the documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Zirconia wrote: »

I agree no way will i pay when the selection is very very bad, its a petty because i would of payed if they put more titles up, i know a good few other people that will cancel as well.
    Very bad decision on Netflix part because these people would of payed after there first month if they was a decent selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Every episode of Battlestar Gallactica is available on the US site.

I'll definitely keep the sub for a while. There is tons of stuff I want to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

The Yellowstone documentary in HD is pretty unbelievable.I dont know how they get some of this footage.

Just watched a few episodes of the original Twilight Zone, lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Friend found every episode of Married With Children last night. Each to their own...

Personally I've been catching up with Party Down and Parks and Rec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The movie The lives of others and comedy inbetweeners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Workaholics is pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Started Dexter on Netflix and blown away! It's the best series I've ever seen and can't believe I only discovered it now. Only first two series on Netflix though. The selection in general is pretty poor. Not sure it's worth the monthly charge but will stick with it for a while anyway. Selection would want to improve drastically for me to stay long-term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Started Dexter on Netflix and blown away! It's the best series I've ever seen and can't believe I only discovered it now. Only first two series on Netflix though. The selection in general is pretty poor. Not sure it's worth the monthly charge but will stick with it for a while anyway. Selection would want to improve drastically for me to stay long-term though.

Well 2 boxsets of Dexter would cost you a fair bit more than €7 so I'm not sure you can argue about value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Dodge wrote: »
    Well 2 boxsets of Dexter would cost you a fair bit more than €7 so I'm not sure you can argue about value

That's a valid point. But I look at it as being poor value compared to the US prices and content. And also the few times there's something I want to watch online cos I can't get it on tv there's the option just illegally stream it so free to 6.99 is another comparison you could do. I'm a bit of an innocent and illegal streaming doesn't sit well with me so I'm happy to pay to view.

If it was €6.99 for the American content I think that's good value and keep up the subscription. But if there's nothing I want to watch on it I'll just cancel the subscription. At the moment there's not that much I want to watch on it. Can easily see me running out of things before the free month is up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was happy to find both seasons of Russell T Davies' The Grand on the US version. It's a period drama made in 1997, set in a Manchester hotel in the aftermath of WW1. It's a bit grim though. Davies has since said that he made the mistake of equating good drama with tragedy and if he was writing it again might lighten it up a bit. Still though, I've yet to see anything as tragic as events of ep 5 of Children of Earth so I'll keep watching.

I was also really disappointed to see a couple of recasts between series 1 and 2. It's hard to accept that a character you've gotten to know has just had a complete head, body and voice transplant. (Especially as it took me a bit of effort to accept Stephen Moyer as a young upper middle class Brit with PTSD rather than a Confederate vampire.)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

just came across jim jeffries: alcoholocaust. watching now...excellent aussie stand up. maybe not everyones cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

It's been said a fair bit so far. But Dexter!

Only a couple of episodes in but it's great so far. Kinda reminds me of American Psycho a little.

Also watched The IT Crowd, great laugh.

King Of Kong was insane watching. The lengths those boys go through. I like my gaming, but not that much. And your man Billy Mitchell looks like a right prick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Movie I haven't seen in years and discovered in my recommendations section and loved as much as the other 10 times I saw it...... "Dazed and Confused" great music from start to finish to .... love that song at the end (Slow Ride by Fog Hat ... I think)

Twin Peaks is getting a look too.

I'd kill for some more kind of discovery channel / bbc documentary on it

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

I didn't see anything much when I looked at the list of stuff the other day, but this thread has shown me a fair few great shows. Might give it a spin after all.

Pity they don't accept laser, a lot of people including myself have ditched the evil credit card.

Redditor wrote: »
    I didn't see anything much when I looked at the list of stuff the other day, but this thread has shown me a fair few great shows. Might give it a spin after all.

Pity they don't accept laser, a lot of people including myself have ditched the evil credit card.

So have I, I use a prepaid Mastercard for things like this.

Watched this documentary last night on it, jaw dropping and disturbing stuff about a family of hillbilly criminals in Virginia, never seen as much open drug use and scary characters in any film including Scarface!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

DeWitt wrote: »
    Has anyone found any shows or movies not listed in the genre selections? Looking through their tv category there's not much, but I saw another subscriber talking about Dirty Sexy Money, did a Y search & whatd'ya know there it was. Strange it's not listed in their catalogue.

Yeah Ive noticed this too. Loads of flaws in the search function. Should be able to search for actor / character too. And a trailer / snippet of movie or tv show before you press play would be good.

On another note, Just started watchign the 4400 and I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

NotorietyH wrote: »
    If you have access to the US Netflix they have every episode of Friday Night Lights. Just watched first episode and really enjoyed it. Supposed to be a great series.

Just started watching it last night. Four episodes in and really enjoying. Ir seems like its disguised as a teen drama but has a lot more bite to it.

Hope the standard remains high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

adox wrote: »
    Just started watching it last night. Four episodes in and really enjoying. Ir seems like its dusguised as a team drama but has a lot more bite to it.

Hope the standard remains high.
    Keep watching It great show it is .

Advertisement