Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Murray has qualified for Tour Finals after beating Dimitrov. Looked in good form tbh. Bad news for Grigor though who needed to win Paris to guarantee his place in London.

Raonic, Berdych, Ferrer and Nishikori all in the running for the final 3 spots. Kei and Tomas are guaranteed a place if they reach the SFs. David has to reach the final and Milos has to win the tournament. Safe to say that Berd and Nishi have it though. Can't see Raonic win it so probably Ferrer's to lose now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A good win for Andy. He seems to be getting his confidence back, and he sounded quite positive in his press conference afterwards. Starting to get a little optimistic for 2015.

Would be great if he could beat Novak next, he needs to start beating the big boys on tour again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

A good win for Andy. He seems to be getting his confidence back, and he sounded quite positive in his press conference afterwards. Starting to get a little optimistic for 2015.

Would be great if he could beat Novak next, he needs to start beating the big boys on tour again.

Delighted to see Andy Murray qualify for London. Looks like the "big four" could be back in business by the end of the year!

Berdych qualifies for Tour Finals for the 5th straight year. Raonic has to beat Federer to keep his hopes of qualifying alive. That match is currently going on serve, 3-all.

A Raonic loss would ensure Ferrer's and Nishikori's spots.

Applications for Wimbledon tickets open tomorrow morning at 9am. Don't forget!

• Advertisement

World Tour Finals places are set. Nishikori's win over Ferrer means Raonic is guaranteed his spot.

Djokovic, Federer, Wawrinka, Cilic, Berdych, Murray, Nishikori and Raonic. Should be a good tournament! Looking forward to seeing what the groups will be.

Fair play to Raonic for getting in, didn't think he'd make it. I guess we're looking at a Djokovic-Federer final? They literally seem like the only contenders.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I hope Federer gets to be #1 again without having won a slam. Just to see what the reaction is.

^ Still possible. He'll have to defend his points from last year's Finals and hope Djokovic loses early enough. Davis Cup win will mean a lot to him as well.

Great performance from Raonic. Hopefully he can continue this form to London. Looking likely he'll face Djokovic in the Paris final.

Apparently Tsonga, Gulbis and Dimitrov have all refused to be the 2nd alternate for London.

I know there's less than zero chance of the 2nd alternate playing but it's a bit of a joke, especially from the younger 2, that they won't go.

• Advertisement

Bad form from them, especially the ones who've never played in the Finals. They should go and see what it's like. Might give them more incentive for next year.

Apparently Ferrer has agreed to be the 2nd alternative. I didn't know that you could refuse in the first place.

In marathon news, Wozniacki is approaching the 20 mile. Going really well, 8 min per mile. She should finish after 6 our time.

3 hours, 26 minutes and 33 seconds for Caroline Wozniacki.

Not bad at all!! She's qualified for the Boston Marathon so that's something she could aim for next year. :p

It would almost make you wanna run a marathon.....almost.

Great stuff from Woz. Very busy end to her season and a respectable time too :)

Ferrer is 1st alternate, Lopez is going as 2nd.

Aww, Serena was waiting for Caroline at the finishing line :) For the sake of their friendship I hope Woz never gets an important win over Serena :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

^ That was so sweet! I hope Caroline does at some point!! Serena would just have to get over it, she's won enough grand slams :P

The groups for London have been revealed, very lopsided in my opinion but I guess that's the luck of the draw! Group B is much tougher I think.

A: Djokovic, Wawrinka, Berdych, Cilic
    B: Federer, Murray, Nishikori, Raonic

Wawrinka, Berdych and Cilic are all not playing brilliantly at the moment, especially Wawrinka and Cilic is injured (I think?). On the other hand, everyone in the other group are playing well and full of confidence. I can't wait to see how that one turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

WaterLily. wrote: »
    The groups for London have been revealed, very lopsided in my opinion but I guess that's the luck of the draw! Group B is much tougher I think.

A: Djokovic, Wawrinka, Berdych, Cilic
    B: Federer, Murray, Nishikori, Raonic

Wawrinka, Berdych and Cilic are all not playing brilliantly at the moment, especially Wawrinka and Cilic is injured (I think?). On the other hand, everyone in the other group are playing well and full of confidence. I can't wait to see how that one turns out.
    Yeah, that draw pretty much ends what little chance there was of Federer ending the year as number 1. Djokovic only has to win one match to secure it, and you'd have to fancy him to beat at least one of those others in his group.

This Fed Cup final sounds like great fun. Shame I'm missing it.

I'd have played Lisicki instead of Petkovic against Kvitova. Courts are very very fast, Lisicki would have stood a better shot. Will be interesting to see of she gets the nod tomorrow.

Germany going with Lisicki for the next match. Probably hoping she can blast Safarova away.

Really good match between Kvitova and Kerber! High standard and exciting. Crowd is fantastic too.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Germany going with Lisicki for the next match. Probably hoping she can blast Safarova away.

Won't matter if Petra wins now.

• Advertisement

Have to feel bad for Kerber there, what an effort.

Switching to the WTF's after that Fed Cup final is like going to watch an U12's football match after watching Barcelona play. ZZZZZZZZ.

WTF's completely flat so far.

WTF's completely flat so far.

It's not surprising really. Everyone was so excited about how close the race was in the end for most of them but all you end up with then is 5 or 6 of them being wrecked before they even get to London.
    I suppose it all works out in the end if you end up with the 2 best players of the year in the final but it's not making for a great spectacle.

Indeed, I thought from the start that this was probably just going to be a Federer-Djokovic charge to the final.

Was half thinking of going over to them a couple of months back, kinda glad I didn't now!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

^ I was the exact same! My friend had a couple of tickets for the Tuesday and I seriously contemplated going with him but in the end I decided not to and to be honest I'm so glad I didn't! Both matches were 6-1 6-1 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Murray getting a tennis lesson of fed here. These finals have been crap. Very disappointing last night as with djokovic and Wawrinka.

I never gave Murray a chance tonight, I thought he'd win about five games tops. But damn. A bagel?

Not looking too optimistic for 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Well that was a waste of time. Why don't they just go straight to Federer vs djokovic and be done with this farce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement