Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Having a couple of Fullers London Summer Ale tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

A holy trinity for me... Work in the morning, otherwise it would be at least two of each :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I had four bottles of Blue Moon last night. €7.50. I won't be buying them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

carmanard wrote: »
    A holy trinity for me... Work in the morning, otherwise it would be at least two of each :)

I'm loving the stout lately. It took me a couple of bottles to get into it, but I'm definitely on board now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Brown Paper Bag Project - Dr. Rudi, a very nice ale. Possibly a tiny bit too sweet for my liking but a great effort none the less.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I'm loving the stout lately. It took me a couple of bottles to get into it, but I'm definitely on board now.

Leann Follain was love at first sip for me when I had it for the 1st time, I'm not saying its the best beer ever but its certainly top of my list. Galway hooker took two mouthfuls to convince me of its genius but I'm a firm believer ever since. The O'Hara's pale ale is the weakest link of the trio, still lovely in its own right but can't hold a candle to the other two. Now if Metalman was sold in bottles, that would be my perfect 3 beer combo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Anyone know why you cant get Metalman in bottles?

Just washed a burrito down with a Brooklyn Lager, lovely stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

After about 3 O'Hara's Pale Ale (Not in a row, mind) it's become a favourite of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Because they don't sell it that way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Couple of reasons.

It costs a lot of money to invest in a bottling machine and then they tend to be very labour intensive.
    You also need to brew a lot more beer to be able to supply the bottle trade as well as the keg/cask trade. They don't quite have the tank capacity for this yet.
    There is the option of sending the beer to a bottling plant and getting someone else to bottle it for you, which is what the likes of O'Hara's and Galway Hooker do. Again, this means brewing a large amount at one time which ties up a lot of your tanks and they don't really have enough of them at the minute. Demand for their kegs is growing and growing so they're trying to keep up with that just.
    The Metalman head brewer is also skeptical as to the quality of some of the bottles that are currently on the market that get bottled elsewhere. I think she would prefer to do it on-site so as to be able to have full control over the process.
    And lastly, her goal is to bring out cans, not bottles.

I have heard they are working on bringing out some limited edition 5 litre kegs (like the Heineken ones).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just back from o.briens. picked up a beer geek breakfast and westmalle triple. They also had American dream, flying dog and to ol bottles. Really stepping their game up

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Because they don't sell it that way.

I'm guessing he knew that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

irish_goat wrote: »
    Couple of reasons.

It costs a lot of money to invest in a bottling machine and then they tend to be very labour intensive.
    You also need to brew a lot more beer to be able to supply the bottle trade as well as the keg/cask trade. They don't quite have the tank capacity for this yet.
    There is the option of sending the beer to a bottling plant and getting someone else to bottle it for you, which is what the likes of O'Hara's and Galway Hooker do. Again, this means brewing a large amount at one time which ties up a lot of your tanks and they don't really have enough of them at the minute. Demand for their kegs is growing and growing so they're trying to keep up with that just.
    The Metalman head brewer is also skeptical as to the quality of some of the bottles that are currently on the market that get bottled elsewhere. I think she would prefer to do it on-site so as to be able to have full control over the process.

I have heard they are working on bringing out some limited edition 5 litre kegs (like the Heineken ones).

They have a bottling line in the brewery, when I was down there to meet Gra last winter they were talking about having the bottle available in the new year.

No idea why it never happened.

Seaneh wrote: »
    They have a bottling line in the brewery, when I was down there to meet Gra last winter they were talking about having the bottle available in the new year.

No idea why it never happened.

They're not sure if that bottling machine is even functional anymore, might end up costing too much to get running.

It's mainly down to capacity, their pale ale is flying out and a few pubs are asking for some of the seasonals(the lager especially) to be on permanently as well.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Couple of reasons.

Very informative indeed! Thanks. Here's hoping for rapid expansion

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm guess he knew that.

Yes, I had twigged that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

stuchyg wrote: »
    Just back from o.briens. picked up a beer geek breakfast and westmalle triple. They also had American dream, flying dog and to ol bottles. Really stepping their game up

Which O'Briens?

Tonight is all about Metalman, copious pints thereof. Am even eschewing the (less than thrilling) prospect of a mini pub crawl with work colleagues to head specifically to the local pub that serves it & I will remain there until closing time or until they run out of Metalman, whichever happens first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

A keg of coppers homebrew ginger beer...mmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

drumswan wrote: »
    Which O'Briens?

Dun laoghaire, naas and Newbridge have both pretty decent options the ladt few weeks also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Going to a wedding in Cahir House next week

Any idea if they serve anything decent (something like Metalman would be just the job). Should be a huge session and I'd rather not drink stuff for the sake of it

Going to a wedding in Cahir House next week

Any idea if they serve anything decent (something like Metalman would be just the job). Should be a huge session and I'd rather not drink stuff for the sake of it

Should have White Gypsy Ruby Ale. Be sure to ask for a Metalman anyway though. ;)

http://www.beoir.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&__%20%20%20%20catid=0&sobi2Id=661&Itemid=80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Colonel, maybe ring the hotel ahead of the day and ask if there's a chance of them getting something in that you or another guest would like.

Colonel, maybe ring the hotel ahead of the day and ask if there's a chance of them getting something in that you or another guest would like.

That's a great idea, I never think of doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭laros

That's a great idea, I never think of doing that.

My daughter got married in the Tullamore Court Hotel last month and requested some craft beer in for myself, asked for bottles of galway hooker as I figured it was an easy one to get hold of. The barman at the reception said they had 20 bottles in and any that weren't drank would be sent up to the main bar for me for the next day... :) Problem was a few friends asked what I was drinking, tried it and then switched over to drinking it as well... so the 20 bottles ran out fairly quickly...:( So contact the banqueting manager at the hotel and make a request, bottles would be a better option I would imagine.

• Advertisement

Yeah. There's a time and a place to let people know about good craft beer. Somewhere in short supply, keep it to yerself, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

A bit off topic, but Jimmy Barry Murphy came into the offie I work in last night, picked up 2 bottles of Erdinger, a Weihenstephaner Dunkel and a Weihenstephaner Vitus for himself. Have to say I'm dead impressed, thought he'd be a Beamish or Murphy's man nailed on.

White Gypsy Dopplebock. Restoring my faith in one-offs/specials, had some seriously meh ones as of late. This one didn't let me down.

Also shared a bottle of Schneider Tap X Sommer earlier. Beautiful beer for the day (week!) that's in it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mulligans have Thornbridge Wild Raven on tap.
    Nice black IPA not too heavy either.
    I like most Thornbridge beers and this doesn't disappoint either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Picked up some 8 degrees Winter's Ale there, cos it was going a euro a pop.

Not what I was expecting. I won't say it's a bad beer, because I actually think it's good, but perhaps not my kind of beer. I was expecting something a little lighter, and I totally forgot it was a spiced beer. I prefer when any spiciness comes from the yeast. Still not bad at all, especially considering the price I paid. It'll do grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Back in Dublin and just up at the local spar, very impressed with the selection of beer. Price pretty expensive and beer percentage is quite low on most of the beers would be my only two gripes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Thornbridge Kipling at a BBQ. Exceptional to drink in the sun, very refreshing. Pricey though

I've been taking a break from trying new stuff, lately with this weather and just kicking back, and alternating Anchor Humming and 8 Degrees Howling Gale Ale, two favourites.

Back in Dublin and just up at the local spar, very impressed with the selection of beer. Price pretty expensive and beer percentage is quite low on most of the beers would be my only two gripes.

Spar shops can be dearer then off licence generally.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Might be a bottling issue. I love Serra Nevada's Ruthless Rye for example.

Also, in other news, I was in the Corkscrew off-licence attached to Kennys in Lucan yesterday.
    I never knew Kennys had Sierra Nevada on tap (€4.80 a pint) and they're going through about 2 kegs a week.
    The off-licence is also in final negotiations to sell growlers of beer! Not sure if it'll be Sierra Nevada or Brewdog but they're installing a tap in the offie and will sell growlers and refill them for you. A very unique offering for an Irish off-licence. Also, their selection of beers is excellent. Spotted a few Bath beers that I haven't seen anywhere else. I might have a new local go-to place for beer if I can't drop in to Drinkstore.

Was in there yesterday for some dinner. Nice place, and the couple of pints of SN were much enjoyed. I think the glasses are slightly smaller than a normal pint. Even so, it's a higher ABV and I've had SNPA on draught a couple of times before and it's never quite lived up to the bottles but the 2 pints I had yesterday were beautiful, would've loved to have stayed for longer though. :(

Popped into the off licence to pick up a few bottles, nice selection, but I was too impressed with the ones I actually bought. They had The Celt Experience on special, 4 for €10. The Celt Bleddyn that I tried was ok, not the worst, but the bottle of Golden Hare by Bath Ales was great, just a really boring run of the mill golden ale.

The Celt Bleddyn that I tried was ok, not the worst, but the bottle of Golden Hare by Bath Ales was great, just a really boring run of the mill golden ale.

Did the Bleddyn remind you of O'Sheas from Aldi? I could have swore it was the same beer.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Did the Bleddyn remind you of O'Sheas from Aldi? I could have swore it was the same beer.

Not really, it was a golden ale. O'Shea's range consists of a stout, a red and a pale ale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

The Celt Bleddyn that I tried was ok, not the worst, but the bottle of Golden Hare by Bath Ales was great, just a really boring run of the mill golden ale.

The Celt Silures is the best of these Ive tried.

Not really, it was a golden ale. O'Shea's range consists of a stout, a red and a pale ale.

Yeah I meant reminded me of O'Sheas Pale ale.
    I thought the Bleddyn was a pale ale maybe I have a different beer in mind.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Even so, it's a higher ABV and I've had SNPA on draught a couple of times before

The draught SNPA is only 5% as opposed to the 5.6% bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Tried Hop Head in the Porterhouse for the first time and have to say I really enjoyed it. Intrigued to hear about London Pride on cask. It was the first ale I tried and fell for so it'll always have a soft spot with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had my first nogne beer last night, their pale ale. At 7euro a bottle it wasnt cheap but i disregard the price as ive heard that as its norweign its expensive not the brewers pitching it as expensive

while nice i wasnt bowled over about any aspect of it. Quite carbonated. might have guessed it was one of my home brews if i didnt know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

adamski8 wrote: »
    Had my first nogne beer last night, their pale ale. At 7euro a bottle it wasnt cheap but i disregard the price as ive heard that as its norweign its expensive not the brewers pitching it as expensive

while nice i wasnt bowled over about any aspect of it. Quite carbonated. might have guessed it was one of my home brews if i didnt know.
    Try the #500 before giving up on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Came across this in Drinkstore last night so a bottle was duly purchased.

2013-06-12_11.16.08.jpg

It's more so a traditional English bitter than an IPA as we'd be used to with Hooker or O'Hara's IPA. It's first try for me was a bit too over hopped for it's otherwise mildly malted nature. However 3-4 bottles of it and I'd see myself get used to this sleeper; come the last mouthfuls I was already warming to it. Definitely worth a go IMO.

Came across this in Drinkstore last night so a bottle was duly purchased.

2013-06-12_11.16.08.jpg

It's more so a traditional English bitter than an IPA as we'd be used to with Hooker or O'Hara's IPA. It's first try for me was a bit too over hopped for it's otherwise mildly malted nature. However 3-4 bottles of it and I'd see myself get used to this sleeper; come the last mouthfuls I was already warming to it. Definitely worth a go IMO.

All their beers are fantastic imo

Having a brewfist ipa now. Hides its 6% well. Smooth and a nice dry finish. It very average. Wouldnt buy a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

In limerick for Bruce Springteen. Had a Stabotage and a rebel red in the blind pig! Currently drinking Pints of Ruby in The Glen Tavern! The Missus is drinking a Whiskey Cask Worcestershire Cider from Barbourne! Great stuff all together.

ciaran76 wrote: »

Having the Bronze Ale at the moment and it tastes very similar to O'Haras Pale IPA.

Having the Bronze Ale at the moment and it tastes very similar to O'Haras Pale IPA.

They should sue them

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

while nice i wasnt bowled over about any aspect of it.
    I had this recently too and wasn't blown away either, there are better IPAs out there for sure. But try #500 like was said and their "Two Captains" DIPA, will impress you a lot more I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement