Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park tunnel

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭cabrasnake

The obsessive attachment the inmates of boards have for the ppp is notable.
    There's a very good reason why IE have no interest in it. It's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This may come as a shock to you, but not everyone is going to OCS.

This may come as a shock to you. Most of them are. 12 million Euros for a few stray bods to explore darkest Sth Dublin is Western Rail corridor economics.

There is no point even trying to have a sensible discussion about this with you - time for the ignore button.

There's no point in having a discussion with sombody in denial.
    The signalling upgrade is mainly for the DART and Northern line.
    There'd be few slots for Kildare line/Heuston trains.
    12 million Euros to send the occasional traveller to Sth Dublin doesn't make sense.
    The buses are cheaper, faster, more frequent and handier to get to the CC for anybody along the PPP line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭theSHU

cabrasnake wrote: »
    There's no point in having a discussion with sombody in denial.
    The signalling upgrade is mainly for the DART and Northern line.
    There'd be few slots for Kildare line/Heuston trains.
    12 million Euros to send the occasional traveller to Sth Dublin doesn't make sense.
    The buses are cheaper, faster, more frequent and handier to get to the CC for anybody along the PPP line.

Why would anyone get on at Drumcondra on the Maynooth line, or at Clontarf, or at Ballsbridge etc.

Don't see your point.
    Clontarf and Ballsbridge are very busy on the DORT, especially to the centre. Clontarf gets a lot of traffic from East Point.
    But nobody gets the Maynooth line trains to the CC from Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

But nobody gets the Maynooth line trains to the CC from Drumcondra.

:rolleyes:

Yes, they do so they can get on a DART straight away.

They don't actually. Bus to Tara St is handier and every couple of minutes.
    That'd be 1 man and his dog anyway. Not really worth spending 12 million on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They don't actually. Bus to Tara St is handier and every couple of minutes.
    That'd be 1 man and his dog anyway. Not really worth spending 12 million on.

There's no integrated ticketing between DB and Irish Rail, meaning it's probably cheaper to travel by train in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Surely there will be integrated tickets across the network by early 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Surely there will be integrated tickets across the network by early 2016?

:D
    LOL good one...owe you were being serious . Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Jayuu wrote: »
    The problem I see with this is that it dumps more trains into Connolly which is already jammed up enough with commuter and Dart services.

If this journey would take 8 minutes what is the comparable timeframe for getting out at Heuston, getting a Luas and then getting off at Connolly or Busaras. I would have though at peak time you could do this in around 10-15 minutes. Is it worth spending money when there already is a reasonable alternative.

You're talking of at least a 25min transfer time from getting off the train at Heuston and standing at the door of Connolly with a red luas transfer.

The reason IE have no interest in it is twofold and nothing to do with demand. Connolly is currently highly congested at the moment with no capacity for extra trains. Secondly, I imagine IE are afraid that this option could be seen as a substitute rather than something to complement Dart Underground once it foes into operation. This substitute, while significantly cheaper would be less effective and wouldn't realise the connectivity goals that DU would achieve. The fear would be that this idea would be lost on the political masters who would us the excuse "sure the pheonix park tunnel does the job grand" and forgo the expensive tunnel on cost and business lobbying.

I wouldn't be against the Pheonix Park tunnel as it would allow commuters from the western suburbs to use rail to access their workplaces in the IFSC and along the DART line. It should only be seen as an interim measure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Reopening the Phoenix Part Tunnel should NOT be seen as in any way a rival to Dart Underground.
    It should be seen as an additional complimentary service to the existing Kildare line with a route connecting to the DART line and into the IFSC. (using the existing alignment of tracks).
    The idea of getting from inchicore to the IFSC in say 12-15 minutes is surely attractive
    Special services could be online for matches or concerts in Croke Park, Landsdowne, the Point and Phoenix Park
    The zoo gets about a million visitors each year now surely some of these and some additional visitors would avail of a rail link on the phoenix part tunnel line, if there was a station in the park or near the NCR?

The idea I really like is looping the line eastwards after it crosses the river and underground into the DART underground so as you could have a circular line
    This would provide more demand for new stops at Phoenix Park, Cabra Road/Junction with LUAS BXD.

Initially reopening/running services on the PP Tunnel would help build a culture of rail/public transport use - it would enhance the existing offerings by Irish Rail by adding connectivity between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I gather it's all booked out, but the Bram Stoker Festival are running a train through the Phoenix Park tunnel this weekend, as part of the festival, the event is called "Underground Gothic".

According to the piece on RTÉ news, they recently discovered this previous unknown tunnel under the park and have organised a train trip as part of the festival.

Two trips are planned, at 17:00hrs and 18:20hrs on Sunday 26th October, Boarding at Connolly Station

Interestingly (or not) the picture they use is a single track tunnel, I thought it was double track ?

The tunnel is double track - the photo is clearly of a different tunnel.

The photo seems to be just a cropped version of a stock shot from the below link so it has nothing to do with the tunnel itself: http://www.123rf.com/photo_4534453_light-at-the-entrance-of-train-tunnel.html
    According to the piece on RTÉ news, they recently discovered this previous unknown tunnel under the park and have organised a train trip as part of the festival.
    I hate when PR people make ridiculous claims like this. Previously unknown my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The photo seems to be just a cropped version of a stock shot from the below link so it has nothing to do with the tunnel itself: http://www.123rf.com/photo_4534453_light-at-the-entrance-of-train-tunnel.html

I hate when PR people make ridiculous claims like this. Previously unknown my arse!

I think its aimed at children

cgcsb wrote: »
    Ah, that's fair enough. I didn't see the news report so I wasn't sure what kind of way the story was being reported. I thought the report was focusing on the tunnel itself and describing it as a new find rather than being focused on advertising an event aimed at children. Never mind so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Pretty successful event though by the looks of it. Tickets have long been sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭JohnC.

cgcsb wrote: »

It's over 18's only. What it actually is is just making up a spooky story about a mythical rumoured tunnel which has been found. Just a story, not the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I see, I would say a bit silly for adults but each to their own. The report in rte news sounded patronising and was included with a number of family events, so one assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I hope the bram stoker festival running of a train under the park will ignite some imagination in Irish Rail and the government to reuse this infrastructure and not let it decay further

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

petronius wrote: »
    I hope the bram stoker festival running of a train under the park will ignite some imagination in Irish Rail and the government to reuse this infrastructure and not let it decay further

It is used every week day for freight and empty stock movements just not for passenger paying services unless there are tours or GAA specials.

The NTA already have plans to run local Kildare line services through the Phoenix Park tunnel to Grand Canal Dock, once the city centre resignalling project is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is work starting on the PPT soon ? Someone I trust said stuff was getting going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lxflyer wrote: »
    The NTA already have plans to run local Kildare line services through the Phoenix Park tunnel to Grand Canal Dock, once the city centre resignalling project is completed.

Has the project actually started yet?

Has the project actually started yet?

Yes - Clongriffen/Howth to Killester is done and there are ongoing works at Grand Canal Dock and Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EganTheMan

When the Channel Tunnel was under consideration, a request went out for tenders for the construction. International companies sent in quotes but the lowest came from the Reilly Brothers of Sligo - total cost £150.

'How can you tender for such a low amount?' inquired the government official.

'Well,' replied Reilly, 'it's because there'll be two of us digging at the same time. One from France and one from England and we meet up in the middle.

'But,' said the government man, 'you've only got to be one centimetre out and you'll miss each other completely.'

'In that case,' said Reilly, 'you'll get two tunnels for the price of one!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The government said in the summer that €10 million was needed to sort out the tunnel. I know it is used for GAA special trains, so what upgrades are needed for it to be used more regularly?

Advertisement