Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel Pass being Scanned on Bus Eireann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'm on DA and got one about 2 months ago. Restricting it's use would defeat the purpose of it because if I need to travel to a medical appointment or something, I can't always say that I won't be able to attend an appointment during peak hours. What I would be in favour of is means testing it for pensioners along the lines of the medical card

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

FanadMan wrote: »
    Folding it and putting it in your wallet isn't a good idea. My paper one was in bad shape before I got the new plastic one (see above lol). Also a good idea to carry photo ID as some bus drivers can ask for ID and refuse travel without it.

If the paper pass is inside the correct plastic slieve fold it neatly in half and if you have another card even if not I.D. Place card inside and fold the will keep it like new.

My dad done this for years now has the new card.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I'm on DA and got one about 2 months ago. Restricting it's use would defeat the purpose of it because if I need to travel to a medical appointment or something, I can't always say that I won't be able to attend an appointment during peak hours. What I would be in favour of is means testing it for pensioners along the lines of the medical card

This would be more aimed towards the well able to do anything sort that just will never work.

There are ones that abuse the scheme to no end bringing along their pals and all sorts.

Even with the new card its been abused.

If one has a spouse or partner and are eligible for travel why can't they be given a card also as to cut out ah he/she is with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This would be more aimed towards the well able to do anything sort that just will never work.

There are ones that abuse the scheme to no end bringing along their pals and all sorts.

Even with the new card its been abused.

If one has a spouse or partner and are eligible for travel why can't they be given a card also as to cut out ah he/she is with me.

It should be a passholder only for everyone! do away with the carers pass as they are being paid and do away with the companion pass as these people should have a carer with them if the require such attention when outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It should be a passholder only for everyone! do away with the carers pass as they are being paid and do away with the companion pass as these people should have a carer with them if the require such attention when outdoors.
    So no companion pass and no carer pass.

So you are saying that a carer should have to pay a train fare themselves, if the person they are caring for is taking a journey. Even if it's hospital, even if it's several times a week, even if the hospital is a long way away.

Why should they incur the expense? Carer's are among the lowest "paid" individuals in the country and are usually family members who have given up jobs. They are only permitted to work 15 hours a week if they want to keep their carer's "pay" and now you want them to pay their own way when doing part of their "job".

Would you like to do away with the respite grant as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

would you do a job 24 hours a day 7 days a week for less than 180euro I dont think so.

Oh yes I forgot they are being paid.............Buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think there's an important distinction to be made between FTP-holders and their spouse/companion using expensive (and comparatively infrequent) long-distance transport services, and cheaper city transport like Dublin Bus, Luas, or Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Aard wrote: »
    I think there's an important distinction to be made between FTP-holders and their spouse/companion using expensive (and comparatively infrequent) long-distance transport services, and cheaper city transport like Dublin Bus, Luas, or Dart.

I'm sure it will be debated at some point but if I'm correct the data that's collected when I or other users with new passes doesn't specifi if the user is accompanied or unaccompanied if there a companion or spouse pass .
    I'm open to correction on this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

lulu1 wrote: »
    As I will be travelling to Dublin Kilkenny Tipp later in the month would it be a good idea to take another form of id with me just in case

I was on the Waterford to Dublin train yesterday and at Thomastown 3 or 4 people boarded. Then rpu man came along to check their tickets on man had the old style pass, it took a couple of mins for his pass to be checked but it was valid and he got no hassle or grief from rpu guy.

Requesting a PSC, my friend did as his plastic pouch was 'cracking up' lol and had no probs and got an early appointment.

From dsp site.

While the Public Services Card is mainly issued by invitation, you can contact your Local Office to arrange an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

As I will be travelling to Dublin Kilkenny Tipp later in the month would it be a good idea to take another form of id with me just in case

Yes Lulu1 it is a very good idea.

Although rarely enforced in the past,a person from outside the specified Urban Areas ( Dublin,Cork,Galway,Limerick,Waterford) could be asked for photographic identification should they wish to travel Free on City Services in these areas.

It is now far more likely,under the new checking regime,that you may be asked to prove your identity positively,which the VAST majority of FTP holders are doing on a daily basis.

The numbers of confiscated FTP documents now being collated on a daily basis,are telling their own tale already. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be debated at some point but if I'm correct the data that's collected when I or other users with new passes doesn't specifi if the user is accompanied or unaccompanied if there a companion or spouse pass .
    I'm open to correction on this

I'm a little unsure of your point here,but to recap:

When an FTP+S or C cardholder presents their card,the Driver validates their journey-NO Ticket is issued.

Leaving the FTP+S or C card on the Ticket Machine will automatically open another window to validate the Spouse or Partners journey with the specific FTP Numbers now recorded on the Spouse or Companions printed ticket,along with a block capital printed reminder that the ticket is only valid for travel with the FTP holder..ie:NOT valid for an independent journey.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

You always had to get a ticket when travelling by train but I just saw this on the dsp's website.
    Using your PSC FT on Iarnród Éireann services (including DART)
    1. If travelling on your own, touch your card against the Validator on either the gate or pole at your station. Remove the card when you hear a beep or see the green light.

Does this mean that they are planning to do away with the ticket requirement for someone travelling by train on their own.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    You always had to get a ticket when travelling by train but I just saw this on the dsp's website.

Does this mean that they are planning to do away with the ticket requirement for someone travelling by train on their own.

For tag on/off services yes.

I was on the DART just yesterday and I just had to use the leap card validator

loyatemu wrote: »
    what is the practical difference between these - do you have to bring along a marriage cert for the first one?

When issued with my travel pass it was for myself and spouse.

There are times when my spouse wouldnt be able to accompany me to hosp apps so I applied for a companion pass .

I think some people might be of the understanding that you have a pass for a spouse and another for a companion.

Only one person can travel free with you

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'm a little unsure of your point here,but to recap:

When an FTP+S or C cardholder presents their card,the Driver validates their journey-NO Ticket is issued.

Leaving the FTP+S or C card on the Ticket Machine will automatically open another window to validate the Spouse or Partners journey with the specific FTP Numbers now recorded on the Spouse or Companions printed ticket,along with a block capital printed reminder that the ticket is only valid for travel with the FTP holder..ie:NOT valid for an independent journey.

Just seen this actually.
    What I originally meant I didn't realise there was 2 different ways of taking a journey accompanied and unaccompanied I've had a my new pass two weeks now and have taken a few trips with the wife which I don't normally do on db .
    I was tagging on the right hand machine pretty much from the start ,one lady driver pointed out I needed to tag on the drivers machine and get a DSP ticket for the wife .
    The following day same again present to the driver I need a ticket for the wife ehhhh who told you that I've no way of issuing a ticket for her go tag on the machine on the right .now this has happened several times seems to be a bit of a mess really .

But yeah my original post was referring to when I tag on the machine on the right says DSP plus S then a beeb and green light or vice versa not 100% of the order so that machine doesn't know if it's one person or two boarding.
    I take I've completely confused things

Just seen this actually.
    What I originally meant I didn't realise there was 2 different ways of taking a journey accompanied and unaccompanied I've had a my new pass two weeks now and have taken a few trips with the wife which I don't normally do on db .
    I was tagging on the right hand machine pretty much from the start ,one lady driver pointed out I needed to tag on the drivers machine and get a DSP ticket for the wife .
    The following day same again present to the driver I need a ticket for the wife ehhhh who told you that I've no way of issuing a ticket for her go tag on the machine on the right .now this has happened several times seems to be a bit of a mess really .

But yeah my original post was referring to when I tag on the machine on the right says DSP plus S then a beeb and green light or vice versa not 100% of the order so that machine doesn't know if it's one person or two boarding.
    I take I've completely confused things

The reason if 2 people are travelling is that there is a record of the journey if all with passes and a companion or whoever comes along with them how would the machine beside the door know.

If someone is on their own use machine at door otherwise you must place at drivers machine as it asks the driver to confirm if the pass being used is correct for person willing to travel.

Look up all the terms on dsp site.

The reason if 2 people are travelling is that there is a record of the journey if all with passes and a companion or whoever comes along with them how would the machine beside the door know.

If someone is on their own use machine at door otherwise you must place at drivers machine as it asks the driver to confirm if the pass being used is correct for person willing to travel.

Look up all the terms on dsp site.

Well aware of that now but my experiences lately is when I present at the drivers station (for a better word ) I'm told to tag at the door or they have no idea a ticket is to be issued for a spouse

Well aware of that now but my experiences lately is when I present at the drivers station (for a better word ) I'm told to tag at the door or they have no idea a ticket is to be issued for a spouse

The reason for this is down to quite simply no training or actuall explanation to drivers.

I only knew it was changing to live scan on Sunday late and it was to be working from the next day.

Don't be worrying it is a slow process as old passes are still out there and with any new system it can be confusing.

Boxes of explanatory booklets are in each location for Staff to read.

Upon presenting a FT+S-C to the Ticket Machine,a very obvious new Window appears with instructions on what do do next (Push One Specific Button)

The information has been in circulation,albeit in a subdued form,for many months now,but there will always be gaps in communication both internally and externally.

However,as Punisher5112 sez,until the Cardboard Box FTP is finally withdrawn (Q4 2016) the two systems will be interoperable,and hopefully by then ALL Busdrivers will have heard about the gig ?

As a matter of Interest,what would your "usual" routes be ?

• Advertisement

The reason for this is down to quite simply no training or actuall explanation to drivers.

I only knew it was changing to live scan on Sunday late and it was to be working from the next day.

Don't be worrying it is a slow process as old passes are still out there and with any new system it can be confusing.

There has been no explanation to pass holders either.i was on the Bus and I thought the driver was thinking I had a leap card when I showed my pass and he told me to use the validator.

Gael23 wrote: »
    There has been no explanation to pass holders either.i was on the Busand I thought the driver was thinking I had a leap card when I showed my pass and he told me to use the validator.

Very good point but sure it's the oirish way of doing things, :D but you can easily be made feel like a prat unnecessarily, especially us elder lemons:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not necessarily. Some people with a companion pass are perfectly capable of making a local trip, but not one across the country.
    Peppa Pig wrote: »
    So no companion pass and no carer pass.

So you are saying that a carer should have to pay a train fare themselves, if the person they are caring for is taking a journey. Even if it's hospital, even if it's several times a week, even if the hospital is a long way away.
    The DSP should pay this on some meaningful calculation. Not by reference to the number of people using free travel passes in 1973 (the current means of calculation).
    Why should they incur the expense? Carer's are among the lowest "paid" individuals in the country and are usually family members who have given up jobs. They are only permitted to work 15 hours a week if they want to keep their carer's "pay" and now you want them to pay their own way when doing part of their "job".
    Would you like to do away with the respite grant as well?
    No such suggestion was made.
    would you do a job 24 hours a day 7 days a week for less than 180euro I dont think so.
    Often its for only about 20 hours per week.

In the Dublin Area, free travel pass holders haven't been required to get tickets for several years.

Do you mean a carer only has to look after their spouse/daughter/son for 20 hours a week?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    As a matter of Interest,what would your "usual" routes be ?

77a and 65b would be my daily routes mostly 77a

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you mean a carer only has to look after their spouse/daughter/son for 20 hours a week?
    No. Some people that are employed as carers only work 20-hour weeks.

Not everyone who need a carer needs 24-hour care. If that was the criteria for Carer's Allowance, much fewer people would receive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Most older people are delighted with the new cards as they have spent years doing their best to mind the small square of thick paper that passed for a pass up to now. They no longer will have to mind it and check it regularly for little tears that need careful patching with sellotape, they no longer have to worry about keeping it dry in the rain or making sure it doesn't go in the washing machine again.

One quite elderly man on the 120 route was so delighted when the driver explained to him that all he has to do was place the card onto the reader like anyone else with a leap card, he just couldn't believe how far we have come, he took the time to tell me "sure this is a great thing altogether!" and "ya just put the card onto the machine and the two talk to each other!" :D

Victor wrote: »
    No. Some people that are employed as carers only work 20-hour weeks.

Not everyone who need a carer needs 24-hour care. If that was the criteria for Carer's Allowance, much fewer people would receive it.

I would have to disagree with you there. There are many illnesses than when they take hold the patient needs 24 hour care and unfortunately I am speaking from experience.

One of the questions on the application form is

How many hours do you spend caring for the person a week?

But anyway we are getting away from the point of the Ftp

Was on db today and put my card on the validator, it buzzed and a red light was on, then driver said to put it on the green area which was grand.

What is the lower red light district:D for...

• Advertisement

Was on db today and put my card on the validator, it buzzed and a red light was on, then driver said to put it on the green area which was grand.

What is the lower red light district:D for...

You must place card to the top part of the machine where it has a white surround and a picture of a green LEAP card.

Do not swipe or just flash the card past as the machines are very slow and need at times at least a second to read the card.

The bottom part you placed it on has the display to tell you if in case of Leap that you have days left on rambler or cash credit loaded and also the daily cap.

You are not the 1st or last to do exactly as you said.

The cards are a much much better system but still open to abuse as it now is possible to just scan and leave card in a wallet or tag on so driver no longer gets to see if it is actually ones card.

This 80 strong team of new checkers cough cough drivers will only be out in small numbers at any one time so it really is not going to impact on the absolute rubbish that is going on out there.

Advertisement