Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

DoctaDee wrote: »
    .. and in other news I see young Deegan has thrown in a transfer request from Don/Ash to Na Fianna - sure to upset some I suppose,

Whats the background there - going to ask a stupid question here, but if the guy is from Meath why is he playing for Dublin?

I am from Ashbourne myself, and I would have noticed a change in the place about twenty years ago whereby you see blue flags going up instead of green ones when a match is being played.

Ashbourne is as big as Navan or Trim or Kells now. Dublin has plenty advantages as it is; but if you get all these satellite towns like Ashbourne, Ratoath, Clonee etc becoming part of the Dublin feeder rather than part of the Meath/ Kildare / Wicklow feeder then it exacerbates the disadvantage these counties face (in terms of population).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Whats the background there - going to ask a stupid question here, but if the guy is from Meath why is he playing for Dublin?

I am from Ashbourne myself, and I would have noticed a change in the place about twenty years ago whereby you see blue flags going up instead of green ones when a match is being played.

Ashbourne is as big as Navan or Trim or Kells now. Dublin has plenty advantages as it is; but if you get all these satellite towns like Ashbourne, Ratoath, Clonee etc becoming part of the Dublin feeder rather than part of the Meath/ Kildare / Wicklow feeder then it exacerbates the disadvantage these counties face (in terms of population).

Mick Deegan moved out to Ashbourne close to 15 years ago - the young lad Michael was born and bred in Dublin and would've been around 5 when he moved out. He has been involved in Dublin underage teams since the dev squads started at U14, his loyalty to Dublin is unquestioned.

But ... that doesn't necessarily mean that his club loyalties can't lie with Don/Ash. He went to school in Scoil Chatriona which is right beside the Na Fianna grounds, but that would be a tenuous link - but as we've seen with the Lowndes' who were schooled in St. Peters Dunboyne that they've gravitated back to their roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

There's probably more Dubs in Dunboyne now than Meath men.

If you've moved to types of towns at some point during your childhood having been living in Dublin previously, I can't see why anyone would have an issue. It's in the blood!

Mick Deegan moved out to Ashbourne close to 15 years ago - the young lad Michael was born and bred in Dublin and would've been around 5 when he moved out. He has been involved in Dublin underage teams since the dev squads started at U14, his loyalty to Dublin is unquestioned.

But ... that doesn't necessarily mean that his club loyalties can't lie with Don/Ash. He went to school in Scoil Chatriona which is right beside the Na Fianna grounds, but that would be a tenuous link - but as we've seen with the Lowndes' who were schooled in St. Peters Dunboyne that they've gravitated back to their roots.

Understood, but it feeds back into my point.

The fact that his dad played for Dublin doesn't really make him any different to any child whose parents are from Dublin, and moved out to Ashbourne, in my opinion.

Half the people who live in Ashbourne are just like Mick Deegan, they are Dubs who moved a bit out the road.

But the fact is, when they moved a bit out the road, they moved to a different county. If its seen that any Ashbourne/ Clonee/ Ratoath player has the option to play for the Dubs rather than Meath, then probably they will choose to do that. He is also gravitating towards the, by far, more successful team.

You are saying he is gravitating back to their roots; how many Dublin players have parents from the country? Are they gravitating anywhere?

On Scoil Chaitriona, I'd say that's a very reasonable link as half his class there would be in the club. Also, logistically, Na Fianna is straight in on the main road from Ashbourne, its probably the quickest Dublin club to get to in the car from Ashbourne, that or Erins Isle.

I think there would've been a bigger issue if he had represented Meath underage and then jumped ship - but he nailed his colours early on where his allegiances lie. As an example - Jack Hannigan's Da grew up in the same estate as Deegan in Finglas - if he was to come on board the Dublin set up that would be a much bigger issue.

I don't know the background to Deegan jnr desire to play with Na Fianna but I would have a degree of sympathy with Don/Ash on this as they've developed a local lad, have a great setup out there and are operating at the top table of club football in Meath - maybe Deegan is enrolling in DCU, I don't really know, but I'm struggling to see the merit of his request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I would say it would be the generation after Michael Deegan that will be "De-Dubbed" for want of a better word.

Plus it does not help that the counties you mentioned are doing sh*te even by low expectation levels. So young fellas are going to naturally gravitate towards the land of thier fathers.

I think it is up to Wicklow/Meath/Kildare to make it more attractive to play for those counties. Particularly when many will not make the cut on the Dublin senior panel.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I would say it would be the generation after Michael Deegan that will be "De-Dubbed" for want of a better word.

Plus it does not help that the counties you mentioned are doing sh*te even by low expectation levels. So young fellas are going to naturally gravitate towards the land of thier fathers.

I think it is up to Wicklow/Meath/Kildare to make it more attractive to play for those counties. Particularly when many will not make the cut on the Dublin senior panel.

Every leinster county is doing sh8te except for Dublin, and will continue to do so. I'm sure if they could make it more attractive they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi stoner,do you still have the poster of the dubs? Kind regards dean o gamhna.

Which one?

Yer man is some beaut to be fair, credit where its due, he's dedicated :D

Any news on the team for tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Nothing yet. Wise man would hold back on betting. I suspect it won't be much different from the O'Byrne team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hope you didn't have money on that BD. :D

C30bsAIWMAEde1L.jpg

Jesus, that turned out a lot bigger than I expected. :eek:

Very, very strong line up that, for the first round of the league.

I will now!

Surprised at such a strong team so early. Obviously going to give it socks this year. Other consideration is getting players used to mark in real competition. Has to be a consideration. Not sure it made much of difference in pre season games but you can be sure it will be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I will now!

Surprised at such a strong team so early. Obviously going to give it socks this year. Other consideration is getting players used to mark in real competition. Has to be a consideration. Not sure it made much of difference in pre season games but you can be sure it will be a factor.

Really thought Gavin would experiment a little more in the league this year. It seems it will not be the case.

Good that Flynn is not playing anyway.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Jesus, that turned out a lot bigger than I expected. :eek:

Very, very strong line up that, for the first round of the league.

Looks like they've one eye on the Tyrone boys next week .. surprised myself at the strength of the team - I'd like to think that EOG will be more of a focal point this season his link play creates lots of scoring opportunities we were a bit goal shy last year.

Looks like they've one eye on the Tyrone boys next week .. surprised myself at the strength of the team - I'd like to think that EOG will be more of a focal point this season his link play creates lots of scoring opportunities we were a bit goal shy last year.

I'm not all that surprised. Gavin was starting a lot of the regulars, this time last year too. Add in the fact that he didn't have this years O'Byrne Cup, to see how well everyone is going, I'm not that shocked that he wants to hit the ground running with the league.

Bit of a kick in the nuts for the Cavanites/Cavanonians/Cavaners though, if they were expecting to sneak a quick two points, while the babby Dubs were still carrying the load. :D

Cavan's only hope is lack of match sharpness for the Dublin players.

I was convinced that Gavin would play half the O'Byrne cup team with a few seasoned veterans on the pitch with the other half on the bench.

I am a bit skeptical whether the named team will be the actual team that lines out.

It seems a bit unfair on Cavan if it is.

Kind of like bringing a rocket launcher to a knife fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

What's parking going to be like around Cavan's ground lads..only ever been up there once and it was nothing to do with GAA.

• Advertisement

Hurry up you lot. Throw in delayed by 15 mins.

Very impressed by Scully I have to say. Looks class and exudes calm and control in everything he did.

Fenton was awesome, again. Jack looked like he was never away, slotted straight back in tbf.

Cavan a good test today, and they put it up to us. Thought we did well but we kicked some shocking wides. Double figure in the end ffs.

Enjoyed that. Pitch looked awful from where is was. Little or no hop on the ball but the players done well with it . Can't wait for next week. The lads looked well up for it.

Loved the ground. It's so like Monaghon's.

Went via Mullingar...what was it like getting back through Virginia?

I don't know. I'm still stuck in the bloody 2 mile tailback. I'll let you know when I get there. :mad:

Jay sus

I don't know do any gardai read this (besides Pillar Caffery) ?

But Jayus can you not sign post a few detours to avoid the n3 until after Virginia. Avoiding a back log?

Took about 2.20hrs to get to Cavan and nearly 3hrs back.

If the Gardai are too busy maybe Shane Ross could put up the signposts?

As for the game itself I thought Cavan were great and if they had another "marquee foward" they might have caused a shock,

I was even thinking to myself that they should move Cavan to leinster so they could avoid going through the mire in Ulster.
    I think Cavan would be a great addition to Leinster another team to give meath a hiding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

But Jayus can you not sign post a few detours to avoid the n3 until after Virginia. Avoiding a back log?

If the Gardai are too busy maybe Shane Ross could put up the signposts?

As for the game itself I thought Cavan were great and if they had another "marquee foward" they might have caused a shock,

I was even thinking to myself that they should move Cavan to leinster so they could avoid going through the mire in Ulster.
    I think Cavan would be a great addition to Leinster another team to give meath a hiding!

I often wished over the last decade that we were in Leinster! I thought we gave a decent account of ourselves today considering we'd three debutants and a new manager finding his best 15.

Fantastic turnout for the 1st serious challenge of the year, got the feeling the locals were delighted to have the Dubs in their back garden and it's a great venue - paid the price as others did with the traffic but it was an enjoyable game. Lots of football in that Cavan team just lacking the top level physicality. I don't think they should benchmark themselves against us, there's every reason to think they can snatch a couple of wins this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Once I came off the dual carriageway after Kells and saw the traffic queued, knew it would be the same all the way through Virginia to Cavan, so I turned off the N3 before Virginia, went around the other side of Lough Ramor past Ballyjamesduff into Cavan from the south side - 90 mins drive each way. Back roads but nice and straight.

• Advertisement

Well that was an interesting day out....and trip back. WTF is going on in Virginia? Met the exact same road works on the way up to the Monaghan game two years ago, but nothing seems to have been built/moved/improved since then. :confused:

(ABD'ers - insert yer digs here, about pampered Dubs whinging about traffic jams on the road
    > :p )

More selection headaches for Gavin. Great to see Jack Flash back and putting the fear of God into defences again. Looks like he was never away. Created a few lovely moves, but we seemed a bit indecisive once we were in front of goal....fisting a pt over the bar, at the last minute, when a goal chance was clearly on. Hopefully the killer instinct returns there, as it was sorely missed last year. MDMA & McCarthy looked especially sharp for early Feb. CC was fairly quiet & Kev Mc ran into too many blind alleys. Mannion would want to get the finger out, if he wants to be considered the first choice replacement for Berno, Kev Mc, Paddy Andrews etc etc in the FF line. As for Niall Scully....take a bow, my son. You have arrived !

Great day out all around. What a fabulous crowd. Over 16,000 for a 1st round game in Feb. Mad stuff altogether ! Great atmosphere in the 1st half too, but it petered out once we really got going in the 2nd half. Would have been deadly if there were a few goals to liven things up. Am not holding my breath, we'll get any next week.

Cavan well put it up physically to Dubs. Missing scoring forwards. Interesting game.

Dublin players certainly not thinking they were boys playing men.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hurlingma

Taken this from facebook, Worth a read if your following the Dublin lads involvement in the Fitzgibbon

Irish Gaa Banter Page
    Fitzgibbon Cup Round 2 Roundup
    Thursday, February 02, 2017
    (A) 19.00 ITC 0-18 v Mary I 0-18
    (A) 14.00 GMIT 0-10 v DIT 3-15
    (B) 14.00 UL 2-21 v NUIG 2-12
    (B) 14.00 DCU St Pats 0-10 v CIT 3-15
    (C) 19.00 Trinity 1-8 v WIT 4-15
    (C) 19.00 DCU 0-15 v Limerick IT 2-12
    (D) 14.00 UUJ 1-7 v Maynooth 4-23
    (D) 15.00 UCD 1-5 v UCC 1-8

A
    Mary I (+21): W D - DIT (A)
    ITC (+12): W D - GMIT(A)
    DIT (+2): L W - DIT (H)
    GMIT (-35): L L - MaryI (H)
    Mary I seem to have the top position in Group A wrapped up unless IT Carlow can overturn their 9 points deficit in points difference. It wouldn't be a surprise for IT Carlow to beat GMIT comprehensively, however we feel that Mary I will beat DIT by anything up to 10 points. IT Carlow would therefore need to beat GMIT by 20+ points to claim top spot. Mary I score 2-31 against GMIT so it is possible to do.

B
    UL (+22): W W - DCU Pats (A)
    NUIG (+2): W L - CIT (A)
    CIT (+1): L W - NUIG (H)
    DCU P (-29): L L - UL (H)
    UL will claim top spot here in group B, light a candle for DCU St.Pats the night before this one. Group B is all about who can claim second place and take the second quarter final spot. It really is 50/50 between CIT and NUIG. CIT will have home advantage but NUIG wont take much notice of this. We can't pick a winner in this one and it is probably the match of round 3.

C
    LIT (+29): W W - WIT (A)
    WIT (+9): L W - LIT (H)
    DCU (+4): W L - Trinity (A)
    Trinity (-42): L L - DCU (H)
    LIT will more than likely claim top spot in Group C bar WIT beating them and DCU hammering Trinity by 26 points. It is safe to say DCU will beat Trinity easily so if LIT beat WIT they will knock them out. It is possible that WIT beat LIT. LIT are defiantly strong favorites in this one. Every match is a knockout from here on in for WIT. If WIT beat LIT they also need DCU not to overtake them on points difference. Our predictions are LIT top the group and DCU get second place.

D
    UCC (+21): W W - Maynooth (A)
    Maynooth (+17): L W - UCC (H)
    UCD: (+5): W L - UUJ (A)
    UUJ: (-43): L L - UCC (H)
    UCC will also claim top spot here with a win over Maynooth. Maynooth wont be any pushovers but we expect UCC to have too much firepower. UCD will also beat UUJ quiet easily and claim second spot.

IGBP Current Power Rankings R1 & R2
    Overall: 1:LIT 2:UL 3:UCC/MaryI 4:Maynooth 5:IT Carlow
    Offence:1:UL 2:MaryI 3:LIT 4:IT Carlow 5 Maynooth
    Defence: 1:UCC 2:LIT 3:UCD 4:WIT 5:DCU

WoodenSpoon Race
    The Current leaders of the wooden spoon race are UUJ followed closely by Trinity college then in third place is GMIT.

IGBP Predicted QF's 14th Feb
    1. (1D) UCC vs DCU (C2)
    2. (C1) LIT vs UCD (D2)
    3. (B1) UL vs IT Carlow (A2)
    4. (A1) MIC vs NUIG/CIT (B2)

Irish Gaa Banter Page Snapchat: igbp32

Cavan_King wrote:
    I often wished over the last decade that we were in Leinster! I thought we gave a decent account of ourselves today considering we'd three debutants and a new manager finding his best 15.

Cavan certainly did give it a lash. The kick passing into the inside line and the attempted shots from Cavan was what let them down in the second half IMO. The boys were winning frees when they got the ball but the delivery was poor in the second half.

Both teams kicked a good few wides, first real game for both I guess.

Kilkenny was off target a lot, Scully played well again, his movement has set him aside since minor level, he's the nearest thing to Alan Brogan in a Blue shirt I've seen. Basquel was moving well too, he makes great runs , good timing.

Mannion looked sluggish alright, that lad Fergal Reilly gave him a hard time, I've no idea how he missed the hand passed effort in the second half, funny enough with their number 2 Scully went on him for a Cavan kickout and gave him a bit of his own medicine and he went nuts !!

I wish that O'Gara actually started a game for once. I know it's not the managements job to indulge the crowd, but this game was made for him. He comfortably won the two balls played into him.

Great atmosphere at the game, local crowd were great as usual, but the drive back was crazy, we got grub in Cavan to let things clear, made no difference home at 20:00.
    16,800 crowd and a good day for football too.
    In all fairness that Seanie point before half time was a beaut. Thought the ref could have played advantage for both sides more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Great crowd and atmosphere in Breffni today. A much bigger attendance than the official 16,000 announced. If Dublin had their shooting boots it could have been a lot worse for Cavan. Enjoyable early season fare.

quidel wrote:
    Great crowd and atmosphere in Breffni today. A much bigger attendance than the official 16,000 announced. If Dublin had their shooting boots it could have been a lot worse for Cavan. Enjoyable early season fare.

The wides by both teams was alarming imo. Additionally in Cavan's case that final ball in gave their forwards an uphill battle. Plenty to work on for both teams.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny's shooting was poor outside the great point in the 1st half - tho from my vantage point to the left of the goals his point 2nd half looked over?

Mannion wasn't at the races and yeah I felt O'Gara was made for that game from the start. Reddin for a lad with something to prove played a very safe game recycling ball backwards most of the time, at this stage of his career he has to show a good deal more.

DoctaDee wrote:
    Kilkenny's shooting was poor outside the great point in the 1st half - tho from my vantage point to the left of the goals his point 2nd half looked over?

True, that looked well over.
    At least he dropped none short, I'll take a wide over that habit he's developed.

I don't know about CR, that's exactly how he approached the O'Byrne cup too. He's certainly robust as you've pointed out, but his contributions in the scoreboard have been steadily dropping off, maybe he's trying to show he can play that game Kilkenny offered us last year, as it stands Shane B Carthy has chipped in with some scores when he's given time. I'd like to see him get a bit more confident and a bit of luck , he's a lot going for him overall and I think he'd hold his own in a messy game.
    There's always the traditional number 6 position that G Brennan played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

stop wrote: »
    Once I came off the dual carriageway after Kells and saw the traffic queued, knew it would be the same all the way through Virginia to Cavan, so I turned off the N3 before Virginia, went around the other side of Lough Ramor past Ballyjamesduff into Cavan from the south side - 90 mins drive each way. Back roads but nice and straight.

Did the same, it was the right decision. No problem there and back.

Sharpness was lacking today, but there were a few standing out - Scully, McCarthy, McCauley etc.

Early days but looking good.

Stoner wrote: »

I don't know about CR, that's exactly how he approached the O'Byrne cup too. He's certainly robust as you've pointed out, but his contributions in the scoreboard have been steadily dropping off, maybe he's trying to show he can play that game Kilkenny offered us last year, .......

Yeah I might be a little over critical seeing as he was introduced to the game when the energy levels had noticeably dropped off, and he may have been tasked with playing that CK role from last year. The problem tho is that there's little to no dynamic contribution required and doesn't showcase any of his talents. I found the same a few years back when he was involved in the league campaign at HF, he did very little wrong but he also didn't offer any additional evidence that he was a step ahead of the other likely backup forwards

No huge surprise Tomás Brady has stepped down from the panel this year - his opportunities were becoming ever more limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No huge surprise Tomás Brady has stepped down from the panel this year - his opportunities were becoming ever more limited

I know it was said its for work reasons but i hope he goes back with the hurlers. Still has something to offer.

He'll be staying with the Patriots after last night :)

stop wrote: »

Bookmarked :D

He'll be staying with the Patriots after last night :)

I missed a good one last night by all accounts. Not bad for an aul fella in fairness - heard lady gaga was spectacular too :D

corny wrote: »
    I know it was said its for work reasons but i hope he goes back with the hurlers. Still has something to offer.
    Truth be told he should've been back hurling last year

I though he improved ever year, however Kilkenny moving into that kind of transitional space between halfback and half-forward limited his options, and limited the team too imo.

TB certainly had some good runouts with the team, problem really was they were consigned to league appearances .. he was a jack of all trades, but master of none

I missed a good one last night by all accounts. Not bad for an aul fella in fairness - heard lady gaga was spectacular too :D

You did! Missed Lady in her kaks.

Was some comeback. Best ever I think. How they won it is amazing.

Was up there with Dubs hauling back Cork in league semi final.

Only missing Imelda May in her knickers :-)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

G'owt d'fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

The question is do you mean the old Imelda or the new incarnation?

I know which I'm imagining:p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement