Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

Some info on the upcoming firmware for the Sky+ boxes
    Sky+ update allows undeleting recorded shows, more on-demand and future Catch Up TV

Sky+ has been on a bit of a tear refreshing its set-top boxes, and it's not about to stop now. When ready, a new update for the satellite TV provider's devices will let you undelete recorded programs; deleted shows are now moved to a separate space and only removed permanently either through age or if you really, really don't want to watch. If you're more interested in watching content that's always available, both Anytime and Anytime+ will be rebranded as On Demand, while the Sky Guide is adding a dedicated store tab for movie rentals. Catch Up TV is also nearing with the update and should aggregate the last week's worth of shows from Sky in addition to BBC iPlayer, Demand 5 and ITV Player. The gotcha, as we know all too well from these kinds of firmware revisions, is the timing. You'll have to have either a Sky+ HD 1TB box or the Sky+ HD DRX890 to get the upgrade early on, and Sky is staggering its deployment in a move that could leave some subscribers twiddling their thumbs.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/sky-update-allows-undeleting-recorded-shows/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

When are Irish HD boxes likely to get this update does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Yes it was 4 and they doubled it last Christmas a promotion and left it at that, I think it's called competition

Who exactly are they competing against with that ridiculous cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

GEO147 wrote: »

December 22nd.... the day after the world ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Got this update last night on my box, was powered off this morning which I thought was strange and then noticed the change of Anytime to On Demand etc...

Cool, wonder will I get to see the ITV player on it?
    hmm checked online, the option to activate anytime + just brings me back to the sky shop

Seems something is going on in the background for Anytime +
    I now get
    ##########################
    Unable to complete your order online
    Thanks for choosing Sky.

We are unable to complete your order online. You can continue browsing the site for information, but to place an order please call 0818 762 832 to speak to one of our agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I must do a force SW update on my sky box to see if anything changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

billbond4 wrote: »
    I must do a force SW update on my sky box to see if anything changes.

Did that yesterday on a Sky PACE HD box and no update :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It's launching pretty soon so the updated will start pretty quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

t|nt|n wrote: »

I was wondering why there was a difference in the software on my boxes. I got a new 1TB multi room box installed the other day and the older box has the "On demand" on in instead of anytime. I'll just have to wait for the 1TB box to be updated :).

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/50170-sky-customers-enjoy-comprehensive-access-best-channel-4-demand-go.html

"Sky has also extended its relationship with Channel 4 for the carriage of Channel 4, E4 and More4 in the Republic of Ireland, where these channels form part of Sky’s subscription service.

For more information, customers can visit: www.sky.com/catchup. Catch-up content joins Sky’s TV on-demand service from October. Channel 4 content will be added in the new year."

So we will be getting 4oD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

114172_340.jpg

The Inbetweeners
    Father Ted
    The IT Crowd
    8 out of 10 Cats

All on demand.... Im so happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/50170-sky-customers-enjoy-comprehensive-access-best-channel-4-demand-go.html

"Sky has also extended its relationship with Channel 4 for the carriage of Channel 4, E4 and More4 in the Republic of Ireland, where these channels form part of Sky’s subscription service.

For more information, customers can visit: www.sky.com/catchup. Catch-up content joins Sky’s TV on-demand service from October. Channel 4 content will be added in the new year."

Thats the only reference to Ireland all this means is that sky have extended the agreement for channels we have already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Did that yesterday on a Sky PACE HD box and no update :confused:

AFIAK the forced sw update downloads the existing version of sw you have on our box. The download channel sw is only changed to the 'new' sw version after all customers of that model box have got the update. The reason behind this is that if there was an issue the box could be brought back to the original sw version prior to the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Can someone quickly update me please ? What exactly will Anytime + give us when it launches in Ireland ? Will we get the RTE Player and 3 Player on it ? Is it linked to Sky Broadband ? Do you need an internet connection to the Sky box to get Anytime + regardless of Sky Broadband ? Now that UPC have the RTE and TV3 players available, surely Sky will provide them through Anytime or their broadabnd service when that launches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

galtee boy wrote: »
    Can someone quickly update me please ? What exactly will Anytime + give us when it launches in Ireland ? Will we get the RTE Player and 3 Player on it ? Is it linked to Sky Broadband ? Do you need an internet connection to the Sky box to get Anytime + regardless of Sky Broadband ? Now that UPC have the RTE and TV3 players available, surely Sky will provide them through Anytime or their broadabnd service when that launches.

Well it's hard to exactly say. Sky are rebranding both Anytime & Anytime+ to "On Demand" and bundling BBCi player, ITV player, Demand 5 and I read 4oD (next yr) as well for the UK. Being as we can only view 4oD in Ireland, we might get a different view of the "On Demand" tab in the SW for an Irish Sub Card. Since it's taken a while for the UK players to get on to the UK Sky Anytime+ platform, I'd say it'll be a while for the Irish ones....

As for whether it'll work over any ISP... well I somehow doubt Sky will miss a trick with their planned DSL offering here.... unless others know differently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

Well the way it works in the UK is that you need good broadband (probably at leaast 2Mb next generation/uncontended) ideally with no dowload limit (99% of irish providers do not offer truly unlimited download).

You connect your broadband to the Sky box via a computer (ethernet) cable at the back. This allows you to watch instantly whatever programs are allowed.

They may limit it to Sky broadband customers (but I doubt it). They may or may not have a similar offering to the UK. It may or may not include the Irish channels. At the moment it's all vaporware
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

At the moment the best way to get "on demand" if you are a Sky subscriber is to hook a laptop to your TV over HDMI or VGA and then access Sky go web version and RTE player, TV3 player web version etc. You still need good broadband and ideally truly unlimited broadband but it is available today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just been on the phone with Sky asking why I cannot get Anytime Plus working here in Dublin. I was told by the Sky representative that it was not available in ROI yet but to hold the line as he seen a brief go around his workplace this morning. After a few min he came back to me with the news that I would be able to access Sky Anytime Plus rebranded as Sky On Demand from October the 1st.

He mentioned that the "catchup" service available in UK would NOT be available.

Some good news anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This is added functionality you get by connecting your sky+ box to your broadband router. I don't suppose they discussed what content would be available ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

No discussion on content but I assume similar to the Sky Go "on demand".

Not great but its a start.

Will you have to plug an ethernet cable into the box to get this?

yip.
    Heres bit more info on how to get it
    http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tutorials/how_to_get_sky_anytime.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭John mac

(there is one model which cannot and will never receive Anytime+: Thomson

for anyone with with an old box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Mech1 wrote: »
    Just been on the phone with Sky asking why I cannot get Anytime Plus working here in Dublin. I was told by the Sky representative that it was not available in ROI yet but to hold the line as he seen a brief go around his workplace this morning. After a few min he came back to me with the news that I would be able to access Sky Anytime Plus rebranded as Sky On Demand from October the 1st.

He mentioned that the "catchup" service available in UK would NOT be available.

Some good news anyway!

Wonder if they will throw us a bone in terms of catch up i.e RTE Player/Tv3 Player?

I know its never going to happen but it would be cool if they implemented Netflix onto the sky boxes.

Hogzy wrote: »
    I know its never going to happen but it would be cool if they implemented Netflix onto the sky boxes.

That's there competition right there - in the "on demand" market, so it would never happen as you say, but SKY has a better selection of movies, so if you have the movies sub, this new on demand might be worth a look, assuming you have good broadband and no restrictive limits (UPC comes to mind)

johnmryan wrote: »
    That's there competition right there - in the "on demand" market, so it would never happen as you say, but SKY has a better selection of movies, so if you have the movies sub, this new on demand might be worth a look, assuming you have good broadband and no restrictive limits (UPC comes to mind)

True, they do have a good selection of movies. But the movies cost ALOT per month. Nearly 4 times what netflix costs.

Id rather pay netflix €7pm and unblockus €3pm and get the USA version of netflix which has alot more content.

True, they do have a good selection of movies. But the movies cost ALOT per month. Nearly 4 times what netflix costs.

Id rather pay netflix €7pm and unblockus €3pm and get the USA version of netflix which has alot more content.

Yes the movies are very expensive on SKY. I have netflix myself and a free VPN for a year, so that suits me. I turn on sky movies usually for a month at xmas. I'm excited to see sky taking on demand more seriously though for Ireland.

• Advertisement

johnmryan wrote: »
    Yes the movies are very expensive on SKY. I have netflix myself and a free VPN for a year, so that suits me. I turn on sky movies usually for a month at xmas. I'm excited to see sky taking on demand more seriously though for Ireland.

Can you PM me instructions on how to get a free VPN for a year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Can you PM me instructions on how to get a free VPN for a year :D

I'd love that too please :D

hdowney wrote: »
    I'd love that too please :D

Un fortunatly its expired :(

if you watch netflix on your Wii/PS3 you just need to change your DNS, thats what I do :D
    Hopefully, I will be able to get some more on demand content with ye olde card trick, but only time will tell

if you watch netflix on your Wii/PS3 you just need to change your DNS, thats what I do :D
    Hopefully, I will be able to get some more on demand content with ye olde card trick, but only time will tell

What do you change your DNS to though?

On my wii in the advanced settings for connection.
    <DELETED>

Install Netflix using your normal auto dns first and login. Change dns settings reboot the Wii and that's it. You will have netflix us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

You could try the free proxy service on this site
    <DELETED>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

NO discussing how to circumvent regional restrictions here please, or this thread will be closed.

icdg wrote: »
    NO discussing how to circumvent regional restrictions here please, or this thread will be closed.
    Sorry my bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Getting the rebranded 'On Demand' on our Sky+ HD box today.

So, what's the story, are we still not able to get the Anytime+ features? Tried adding it on My Sky as the guide says, but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

icdg wrote: »

This restriction doesn't make complete sense to me. There are endless discussions on how to get the sky FTA cards and the Setanta card in this forum. FTA cards circumvent regional restrictions.

There are also many threads about getting RTE on the UK mainland which also circumvent regional restrictions.

Is there an element of hypocrisy here, or am I misjudging the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

Discussing the rules is banned too.... so be careful or u might be banned also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

zg3409 wrote: »
    Discussing the rules is banned too.... so be careful or u might be banned also!
    Indeed. eirman needs to take this up with the forum mods by PM or alternatively open a thread on the issue in feedback. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

All the 'restricted' info one requires is on a non censored thread not too far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Rang Sky today and the guy told me it would be closer to the end of Oct before this is launched and will coincide with the launch of their broadband service.

Yeah I was ringing up to get a better deal on my sky sub. And he was saying mid to late October so it seems to have been pushed back. Pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Well, did it launch today or has it been pushed back?

feck sake, i dont even have the new EPG on my box. I know the samsung boxes arent getting the update but i have a pace box.

Its bloody ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Well, did it launch today or has it been pushed back?

No , nothing happening here .

Advertisement