Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Gamepass blackouts. Will you be signing up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Used to think Gamepass was great until I realised how much of a delay on it there was. It's literally 60 seconds behind the play and if you're watching a live match that skips to highlights of others, or a fantasy football tracker, or even RedZone on Sky, then it'll ruin your gamepass game on you. Sickening as its a great product bar that. Cant understand why its so delayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Used to think Gamepass was great until I realised how much of a delay on it there was. It's literally 60 seconds behind the play and if you're watching a live match that skips to highlights of others, or a fantasy football tracker, or even RedZone on Sky, then it'll ruin your gamepass game on you. Sickening as its a great product bar that. Cant understand why its so delayed
    On the delay sure both mlb and nba are the same on the app as compared to a tv broadcast.ao it's not as if the nfl have delayed the gamepass stream for the fun of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I just stay off social media and red zone when titans games are on, tweets were ruining it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    On the delay sure both mlb and nba are the same on the app as compared to a tv broadcast.ao it's not as if the nfl have delayed the gamepass stream for the fun of it.

And SkyGo is 45-60secs behind the tv also, seems to be pretty standard for internet streaming really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Used to think Gamepass was great until I realised how much of a delay on it there was.

Tell me about it. The GP delay coupled with my intermittently crap broadband, made posting an interesting experience during games. I remember last season, I'd comment on a play in the weekly game thread. And one or two of the ladss would be like... "WTF Corvus? That play was 10 minutes ago.":(

Well maybe its the app itself, but for every Vikings game last year I could open up a stream (of much less quality obviously), and it would be up to 2 plays ahead of where gamepass was. Surely something can be done to speed up the output. On occasion I even clicked into the weekly thread on here and seen comments about a play I would see on gamepass 30 seconds later. Really hard to watch a match in one place when you know you can get closer to realtime elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    Gamepass was 2/3 minutes behind only a few seasons ago. It is improving every year.

It takes immense processing power and server capacity for them to offer 7 bitrates from low quality all the way up to near full HD to thousands of people at a time. It's not feasible to stream it any faster than with a 30 second delay probably. We'll have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Online streaming will never be exact. Take standard TV or Satellite TV both are also slightly behind the live action because the game has to pass through signals via satellite. Now take those signals and re-route them through Networks and then onto apps that have to go through people's networks you are always going to have a delay. The NBA and MLB have done a good job keeping the delay to a minimal but they are behind the live action also. As Oat23 said 30 secs is the norm right now and until as he said they increase the power and speed of these servers and networks it will most likely stay at 30 secs and so on and so on.

When I did my Networking and CCNA I did a study on the side about online media and it was fascinating to see how a TV station send its games over networks especially to apps.

No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    Great. Just got this working a on my LG smart TV. Quick question for anyone that might know. I have plex server on my laptop on my network through wireless. TV is wired to router. When I watch something on GP on TV will it used pure wired connection of TV or will it have to go back through plex server on wireless laptop and thus be some bit limited by wireless? Thanks

I read a comment by the developer somewhere in response to a question asking how much CPU would Plex use on the host computer when using Gamepass, he said it would stay the same as the app streams direct from nfl.com, which I assume means it will use your TV's internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yes, buying gamepass for the first time regardless
    My problem with the delay was watching Twitter update me ahead of time. So now I stay away from Twitter Live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky
    How soon are the condensed games put on Gamepass? The plan for late games is to watch the condensed games before leaving for work in the morning. Would they be up by 6:00?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

How soon are the condensed games put on Gamepass? The plan for late games is to watch the condensed games before leaving for work in the morning. Would they be up by 6:00?

Dunno about 6am but i've watched them the next morning when i've woken up. It seems to be hit and miss

BKWDR wrote: »
    Dunno about 6am but i've watched them the next morning when i've woken up. It seems to be hit and miss

6:00 probably is pushing it considering the games won't be over until around 4:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yes, buying gamepass for the first time regardless
    Originally Posted by FastFullBack View Post
    Great. Just got this working a on my LG smart TV. Quick question for anyone that might know. I have plex server on my laptop on my network through wireless. TV is wired to router. When I watch something on GP on TV will it used pure wired connection of TV or will it have to go back through plex server on wireless laptop and thus be some bit limited by wireless? Thanks
    Oat23 wrote: »
    I read a comment by the developer somewhere in response to a question asking how much CPU would Plex use on the host computer when using Gamepass, he said it would stay the same as the app streams direct from nfl.com, which I assume means it will use your TV's internet connection.

I went back quite a few pages to see could I find out how the original poster above got Gamepass working on the LG Smart TV. I have the same telly, was it done using Plex do you know?

Leslie91 wrote: »

I went back quite a few pages to see could I find out how the original poster above got Gamepass working on the LG Smart TV. I have the same telly, was it done using Plex do you know?

Plex is the only way possible on smart TVs I think, so it must have been.

Looked on google quickly and found this -
    LG took the MediaLink client off 2013 model smart TVs and settle on DNLA instead, so I decided to build a replacement client.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/89004-simonjhogans-plex-client-for-lg-smart-tv/
    http://plex.sithari.com.au/files/test-help.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams
    Posted a page or so back about using XBMC on an Android box - must say it's not bad at all. Took a while (and plenty of Youtube tutorials) to get it setup properly but well worth it. Watched the Chelsea vs. Burnley game through it this eve and the quality was very good bar when flatmate started streaming on their laptop for a bit. Paid roughly €40 quid for the box so relatively cheap.

I'd imagine the streams for the NFL will be far better again because there tends to be far more links for the games than for Premier League games. When used Gamepass app before, wasn't getting near the same quality probably due to the ****ty Vodafone internet at the time. Will report back on the quality when the season kicks in.

It's also ridiculously handy for watching series on through Project Free TV and other add ons.

No i think he is saying if you want to sign up via Portugal for a bit cheaper (80e) , one time connect via hola (free) on your laptop, pay the 80e for Game Pass. Then on future connections you won't need a VPN so you can just connect as normal on your ipad etc.

Haha by an absolute fluke i'll be in Portugal for the few days prior to the start of the season! Think i'll sign up again to fcuk, it's worth 80 for the condensed broadcast alone

Just to update on this, last night's MNF was up by 6:00 this morning. Hopefully it'll be the same after each night game during the season.

Just to update on this, last night's MNF was up by 6:00 this morning. Hopefully it'll be the same after each night game during the season.

Just finished watching condensed Browns game there now

• Advertisement

Update to GamePass now available with downloadable games!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

Have sky sports but downloadable games has now swung me to buying Gamepass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Does that work on iPhone? That would be fantastic

Does that work on iPhone? That would be fantastic

I think it is only for phone/tablet. I don't think you can download to a computer.

That works for me tbh, download a few games then go to visit the in laws, they live in the middle of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

Happy days!

• Advertisement

Not seeing the update yet in android play store

I know everyone with an Apple TV is living in hope for a GamePass app to be added to it but in the meantime, the 'NFL Now' app is on there now. It has highlights and other news items for free but like the online version, you need the usual subscription ($1.99 per month) to get access to the other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Just proves if they wanted it on there, it could be

Anyway, finally got the hang of Hola, it's ****ing great, I plugged out the UPC box for the holidays and so the Bake Off failed to record, I was nearly kicked out of the house before setting Hola up on the bbc player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm waiting for the chromecast update thats been promised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hey lads, what's the cheapest way to get gamepass?

• Advertisement

Hey lads, what's the cheapest way to get gamepass?

Scroll back a few pages and it explains the Portugal situation to get it cheaper and there's a discount ode for 15% off but i dont know when that runs until..

Haven't seen the eagles game from last night but the download feature is working a treat.

Haven't seen the eagles game from last night but the download feature is working a treat.

My all updated but can't see where to download games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Scroll back a few pages and it explains the Portugal situation to get it cheaper and there's a discount ode for 15% off but i dont know when that runs until..

Could I get this instead?

84300b59be9c01bab0dd4d1debf8199f.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

That's the Audio pass, if you didn't want TV, you sure can.

Yeah, pretty smooth process alright. I went for the standard quality and it only took a minute or so to download but I suppose that depends on your broadband. The game took up about 450MB but the quality was perfect for my iPad.

Yeah, pretty smooth process alright. I went for the standard quality and it only took a minute or so to download but I suppose that depends on your broadband. The game took up about 450MB but the quality was perfect for my iPad.

I've watched some of the game and the picture is perfect but the sound seemed to slighty behind.

My all updated but can't see where to download games

If you go to the gamepass app and look at the list of games you should see an icon on the home teams logo like a down arrow.

Like the picture below.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

If you go to the gamepass app and look at the list of games you should see an icon on the home teams logo like a down arrow.

Like the picture below.

Only seeing that now myself. They could have put it in a better position!!

I've watched some of the game and the picture is perfect but the sound seemed to slighty behind.

Actually now that you mention it, I think the sound was a bit behind.

• Advertisement

Actually now that you mention it, I think the sound was a bit behind.

It was just very slightly behind for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

There's a BA thread on the chromecast. If I was to purchase that, and a gamepass subscription, would I have good streaming of NFL matches from my laptop/device with gamepass app on my TV?
    Or am I missing something?

Seems it doesn't work all the time.

The option which I'm using is a hdmi cable and a wireless mouse, so let's me so whatever I need to do

Like the picture below.

Not showing for me yet. Play store says app is up to date too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Seems it doesn't work all the time.

The option which I'm using is a hdmi cable and a wireless mouse, so let's me so whatever I need to do

If you're using Android, download RemoteDroid from the play store. Use the screen on your phone as a mouse pad. No flat surface required :)

Is gamepass acting up for anyone else ? It's very temperamental for me at the moment.

Is gamepass acting up for anyone else ? It's very temperamental for me at the moment.

It died completely in the middle of games last night.

They'd want to sort that out before week 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Leslie91 wrote: »

Ya it was plex. Working pretty good to far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Has the Portugal workaround worked for anyone? I'm not getting any discounted price using Hola this afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

fatgav wrote: »
    Has the Portugal workaround worked for anyone? I'm not getting any discounted price using Hola this afternoon?

Yep still working, just used it to subscribe tonight. Also the code "REP15" is still giving 15% off

Advertisement