Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Fenix 3 in BM store in Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

PaulieC wrote: »
    Do you have any more details on that, AKW ?
    More here.

Also this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Picked up on it in the Garmin Talks group on Facebook

Worked a treat. Easy to install and worked a treat. The fact that the HRM has updatable firmware really impressed me. Just one more update needed to swing Polarboy around to the other side ;)

You can see the data on this treadmill run from last night https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/965003664

I didn't look at the watch throughout, just messed around with the paced and that on the treadmill. But in the last 3 mins or so I was flicking through the screens to see the displays. I wear watch on the left wrist and unwittingly started landing heavily on the left. Interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you have a footpod too or does all that come from the chest strap?

I didn't think I need one, I still don't think I need one, but I want one to get all those charts and figures.

Is there a reason you don't have elevation correction switched on? (edit, never mind, I see that if the watch has a barometer in it then it's disabled as a default)

All from the chest strap. The internal accelerometer gives the pace information which is why it gets to be choppy on a treadmill. Unless you stay consistent with arm swing and not looking at watch the pace will vary.

Of course you need one! :D

I never think about elevation. I must recalibrate the altimeter from a point just to keep it uptodate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

The cadence/pace/distance comes from the accelerometer on the watch, right?
    I've run on the treadmill without the hrm-run and get the basic info without the run dynamics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Hmmm...what are peoples thoughts on the Fenix 3 versus the 630?
    I was set on either the 235 or 630 but now am starting to lean back towards the Fenix 3 again....

Hmmm...what are peoples thoughts on the Fenix 3 versus the 630?
    I was set on either the 235 or 630 but now am starting to lean back towards the Fenix 3 again....

@thetubes - yes I think you are right. The stage 1 run dynamics of ground contact time comes from the HRM for sure. I thought cadence came from the HRM too but that may be secondary to the wrist accelerometer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

TheTubes wrote: »
    The cadence/pace/distance comes from the accelerometer on the watch, right?
    I've run on the treadmill without the hrm-run and get the basic info without the run dynamics.

I've tried watch only, watch with run hrm and watch with run hrm + footpod and it's only with the addition of the footpod that I get consistent treadmill data that matches my expectations.

Guys,
    does the beta firmware include Lactate Threshold, Stress Score and Performance Conditions as part of the Running Dynamics?

• Advertisement

Guys,
    does the beta firmware include Lactate Threshold, Stress Score and Performance Conditions as part of the Running Dynamics?

Cona wrote: »
    Guys,

No but I hope it comes down in the next beta version.

AKW wrote: »
    Of course you need one! :D

Well then I'll have to get one. I have one of the older basic chest straps from my 305 which I thought would do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well then I'll have to get one. I have one of the older basic chest straps from my 305 which I thought would do me.

there's your problem...you need new advanced things to be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I just saw the Garmin Fenix 3 in Great Outdoors. It was €511.99. At this price, I presume it was the sapphire model - though Great Outdoors are never the cheapest anyway. D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    I just saw the Garmin Fenix 3 in Great Outdoors. It was €511.99. At this price, I presume it was the sapphire model - though Great Outdoors are never the cheapest anyway. D.

Current RRP is €542 for the HRM bundle and €665 for the Sapphire HRM bundle
    €491 for the watch only version or €614 for Sapphire watch.

It may have been the regular model, Garmin themselves sell it for a little ove €490.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Does anybody know is it possible to use this watch with GC for the golf functions?

Doesn't seem to be much information online for it. Will it connect with phone to give front/middle/back distances etc.

Fenix 3 is available on Wiggle for 385, which is a pretty good price.

Anyone interested in a used fenix 3 ?

• Advertisement

Anyone interested in a used fenix 3 ?

You going all integrated?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You going all integrated?

Disintegrated. Was looking at a bike specific unit, so downgrading to a cheaper running yoke. I like the look of the 230 and heading to the States next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Anybody have battery performance issues with their Fenix 3?

Some snazzy new models being announced at CES. A model with wrist HR and also a sapphire model with titanium finish (which is really quite stunning). Prices ? Both can be yours for a mere $800.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/garmin-varia-vision-and-sport-watches/

Some snazzy new models being announced at CES. A model with wrist HR and also a sapphire model with titanium finish (which is really quite stunning). Prices ? Both can be yours for a mere $800.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/garmin-varia-vision-and-sport-watches/

Can you throw a few in your suitcase :)

wrstan wrote: »
    Anybody have battery performance issues with their Fenix 3?

What time of issues are you having, I only had one that I can recall where the battery drained very quickly, but after a reset and firmware update I've had no issues since.

When I have it connected to my phone via bluetooth it does go through the battery quicker, so I only switch on bluetooth if I need to sync via the phone.

I leave my bluetooth on all the time now, as it uses BLE I haven't noticed much of a difference regarding battery drain. But mainly because I like getting the notifications on the watch.

I leave my bluetooth on all the time now, as it uses BLE I haven't noticed much of a difference regarding battery drain. But mainly because I like getting the notifications on the watch.

Just a FYI, my wife wears the 920 and recently received a burn on her arm like an allergic reaction to a bracelet which turns out to be from the watch. She had BT on permanently with notifications and I think it is a burn from the electronic field or whatever BT are using. Not sure about the fenix where the transmitter is located but just monitor - may be nothing.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What time of issues are you having, I only had one that I can recall where the battery drained very quickly, but after a reset and firmware update I've had no issues since.

When I have it connected to my phone via bluetooth it does go through the battery quicker, so I only switch on bluetooth if I need to sync via the phone.

Sounds like a similar experience. I had a drain from 100% to <20% in about 14 hours with no activity the other day. However a reset seems to have sorted it out (I hope), it's gone from 100 to 77% including a 10 mile run over the last 20 hours.

• Advertisement

sconhome wrote: »
    Just a FYI, my wife wears the 920 and recently received a burn on her arm like an allergic reaction to a bracelet which turns out to be from the watch. She had BT on permanently with notifications and I think it is a burn from the electronic field or whatever BT are using. Not sure about the fenix where the transmitter is located but just monitor - may be nothing.

Very odd, would it be an allergy to a metal in the band? I've read that Fitbit users had similar issues which turned out to be a reaction to nickel in the band, http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/11/fitbit-acknowledges-latest-devices-are-causing-rashes-advises-to-give-your-wrist-a-rest/

No metal in the unit. Its a plastic back on the watch.

Since powering off the BT there has been no problem. Have heard of no one else having an issue but most I know turned off the notifications (or turned down to calls only) after a few days of being driven mad :)

First run with 6.5 this morning, no issues to report
    Changes made from version 5.10 to 6.50:

Added support for Row App. New features include 500m pace, stroke rate, stroke count, distance per stroke, upgrades to virtual partner, stroke rate alerts, and 'every beat' metronome option. Garmin Connect support coming soon!
    Added support for Row Indoor App. New features include stroke rate, stroke count, stroke rate alerts, and 'every beat' metronome option. Garmin Connect support coming soon!
    Added support for Standup Paddleboarding (SUP) App. New features include stroke rate, stroke count, distance per stroke, upgrades to virtual partner, stroke rate alerts, and 'every beat' metronome option. Garmin Connect support coming soon!
    Added support for Golf App. New features include download of courses through Garmin Connect Mobile, distance to front/middle/back of green, layup distances, measure shot, in-round scorecard, odometer/round timer, and scorecard uploads to Garmin Connect.
    Added support for Project Waypoint App (Settings > Apps > Project Wpt).
    Added support for Tactical App (Settings > Apps > Add New).
    Added support for Jumpmaster App (Settings > Apps > Add New).
    Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Ground Contact Time Balance. This feature measures your running symmetry and appears as a percentage of your total ground contact time. While developing and testing running dynamics, the Garmin team found correlations between injuries and greater imbalances with certain runners. For many runners, ground contact time balance tends to deviate further from 50-50 when running up or down hills. Most running coaches agree that a symmetrical running form is good. Elite runners tend to have quick and balanced strides. You can watch the color gauge or data field during your run or view the summary on your Garmin Connect account after your run. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)
    Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Stride Length. This feature measures the length of your stride from one footfall to the next. It is measured in meters. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)
    Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Vertical Ratio. This feature provides the cost-benefit ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length, serving as one indicator of a runner's efficiency. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)
    Added support for the Lactate Threshold feature (Main Menu > My Stats > Lactate Threshold). This estimates the level of effort at which fatigue rapidly increases in terms of a runner's heart rate and pace. This includes the lactate threshold guided test, which is a structured activity that will output the user's lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR) and threshold pace (T-Pace). Other features include LTHR autodetect and HR zones based on %LTHR. The guided test and autodetect require a physical HR strap and can only be calculated by running outdoors. A typical LTHR value is 90% of Max HR. Unlike VO2 max, which can be calculated from HR and pace data at a variety of speeds, autodetect and the guided test requires some time during the activity where the user's HR is around their LTHR.
    Added support for the Performance Condition feature. This provides a real-time fitness-level measurement relative to a runner's average baseline, which indicates performance readiness for the day's workout or race. This feature has two parts: a popup that occurs between 6 and 20 minutes into your outdoor running or cycling activity, and a data field that displays the same information. This feature uses heart rate, heart rate variability, and pace to tell the user how well they are performing. The performance condition popup replaces the Recovery Check feature, but Recovery Time is not affected. Performance condition requires a physical HR strap.
    Added support for the Stress Score app. This uses heart rate variability to assess the user's overall physiological stress. This feature requires a physical HR strap. Devices upgrading from software versions 5.10 or earlier should see this listed in the app list if a HRM has been previously paired. Otherwise, this app can be enabled through the main menu by going to Settings > Apps > Stress Score. It is important to carefully read the instructions presented on the watch before beginning the test for best results.
    Added ABC widget which combines Altimeter, Barometer and Compass data (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view altimeter/barometer plots and compass view.
    Added Steps widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: Steps replaces the previous Wellness widget.
    Added My Day widget (Settings > Widgets).
    Added Golf widget (Settings > Widgets).
    Added Last Run widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view history.
    Added Last Ride widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view history.
    Added Last Swim widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view history.
    Added Last Sport widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view history.
    Added Calories widget (Settings > Widgets).
    Added Do Not Disturb feature (press & hold LIGHT).
    Added support for a new HR gauge data screen (Settings > Apps > Activity > Data Screens > HR Gauge).
    Added support for audio lap alerts in Garmin Connect Mobile. (GCM > Garmin Devices > Fenix 3 > Audio Alerts > Lap Alerts)
    Added support for viewing GPS state before starting a workout.
    Added support for a new 'MOB' (Man Overboard) hot key option. (Settings > System > Hot Keys)
    Added support for a new 'Dual Grid' hot key option. (Settings > System > Hot Keys)
    Added new Digital watch face Layout option (showing step goal progress and move bar)
    Added new Digital watch face Seconds Style (Requires Display software v. 3.00)
    Added new Hands and Background analog watch face options (Requires Display software v. 3.00)

Mine is in the process of updating.

There's a whole load of new variants added too,
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/garmin-fenix3hr-preview.html

I've been looking for a reasonably priced HRM-Run monitor and they're hard to find in the usual places, they (well the ones I checked) only seem to have the standard monitor.

The latest update to the fenix now supports Golf!!!

I now have no choice and will have to make a purchase soon as this is a complete all round watch for me now

The advanced running metrics require HRM-Run v6.60, this has now been pushed to the auto upload from Garmin Connect (previously you needed to install the beta file).
    The additional metrics are their from my run last night, don't know what to make of them yet :)

Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Ground Contact Time Balance. This feature measures your running symmetry and appears as a percentage of your total ground contact time. While developing and testing running dynamics, the Garmin team found correlations between injuries and greater imbalances with certain runners. For many runners, ground contact time balance tends to deviate further from 50-50 when running up or down hills. Most running coaches agree that a symmetrical running form is good. Elite runners tend to have quick and balanced strides. You can watch the color gauge or data field during your run or view the summary on your Garmin Connect account after your run. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)
    Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Stride Length. This feature measures the length of your stride from one footfall to the next. It is measured in meters. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)

• Advertisement

The Fenix 3 by itself gives the average stride length so what's the difference with the requirement for the HRM, accuracy? (you have that watch don't you?)
    Or is that footnote related to other units?

The Fenix 3 by itself gives the average stride length so what's the difference with the requirement for the HRM, accuracy? (you have that watch don't you?)

You don't get the additional dynamic metrics (GCT & VO) without the HRM-Run.
    With the firmware update you now also get the extras quoted above.

You won't get any run dynamics without the HRM Run strap. This is where the Fenix3 HR with optical is going to let people down.

I had the beta version and it is pretty good to see the L/R contact time as a measure of balance. A few tests on a treadmill for constant pace 'showed' me landing slightly heavier or longer on the right compared to the left. My right hamstring has been tight for the last while - comfirmation more than anything else.

Yeah, I get the broader running dynamics stuff, I was wondering about the stride length though where it says support has been added, which you do get already without the HRM (as well as the cadence),

Ah with you now, sorry!

I think there is extra functionality in that a second calculation on stride length is coming from the interval between the contact phases, kinda of a back up to the cadence / pace feature off the wrist.

I'm not 100% if the watch only will give stride length, happy to be wrong - it does give pace & cadence information without HRM Run.

• Advertisement

Probably connected to this
    This feature provides the cost-benefit ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length, serving as one indicator of a runner's efficiency

sconhome wrote: »
    Ah with you now, sorry!

I think there is extra functionality in that a second calculation on stride length is coming from the interval between the contact phases, kinda of a back up to the cadence / pace feature off the wrist.

I'm not 100% if the watch only will give stride length, happy to be wrong - it does give pace & cadence information without HRM Run.

Cheers. Yeah, stride length is provided by the watch itself along with the cadence without the HRM. Seems like I'm a bit of a shuffler at the moment when you compare mine against the broader graph, but it's another metric to improve upon as the season goes on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I notice that the latest software update has LT paces and LT HR estimates.

do ye reckon they are in any way accurate?

adrian522 wrote: »
    I notice that the latest software update has LT paces and LT HR estimates.

do ye reckon they are in any way accurate?
    V02max seems to update dynamically as you go from HR workout to HR workout. The LT stats on the other hand don't. I ran a hilly park-run recently (after the firmware update) and the watch offered me the opportunity to use this workout to update my LT stats. Though I've run faster, at similar heart rates, the LT hasn't updated or offered me the opportunity to use this as my LT data, so I'm guessing that to establish a more accurate set of LT data, I'd need to go do the guided Test for 20-30 mins.

Has anyone done the guided test?

I haven't done it yet, I just let it automatically calculate it.

Is everyone having their watch appearing as a Rubber Ducky for their activities?

Is everyone having their watch appearing as a Rubber Ducky for their activities?

I had rubber ducky syndrome, but like a rash, it cleared itself up after a day or two.

What exactly is the Performance Condition function that pops up after about 8 minutes telling me?

I know it has replaced the recovery check and according to the info above:
    This feature has two parts: a popup that occurs between 6 and 20 minutes into your outdoor running or cycling activity, and a data field that displays the same information. This feature uses heart rate, heart rate variability, and pace to tell the user how well they are performing.

But what does it mean and what should I do? e.g. if I have a negative score, does it mean I am not sufficiently recovered from my last workout? and should I dial back on my planned session or should I just expect that it will feel harder?

wrstan wrote: »
    What exactly is the Performance Condition function that pops up after about 8 minutes telling me?

I know it has replaced the recovery check and according to the info above:

But what does it mean and what should I do? e.g. if I have a negative score, does it mean I am not sufficiently recovered from my last workout? and should I dial back on my planned session or should I just expect that it will feel harder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 supersplit

Anyone got any discount codes for the fenix 3 hr? I find it very hard to find the fenix 3 hr (hr monitor built into the watch itself) in general which is strange as most advertise the fenix 3 without the wrist hr function and the garmin site itself doesn't have it for sale

• Advertisement
Advertisement