Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Can any one confirm if there is a bag drop facility?...from recollection I think there is one in City Hall just need to confirm

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

ike wrote: »
    Can any one confirm if there is a bag drop facility?...from recollection I think there is one in City Hall just need to confirm

Thanks

Yes, at City Hall. Helluva scrum to get it back afterwards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    ike wrote: »

Thanks

There has always been one, so cant see why this year is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    I got a bit of a scare last night after the news when they predicted 24 C for Friday - just in time for another scorcher on marathon day!

But the next sentence was "this won't last for the weekend", so that means panic's over, 17C for Monday or so.

For once there may actually be decent running weather for the Cork marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    I got a bit of a scare last night after the news when they predicted 24 C for Friday - just in time for another scorcher on marathon day!

But the next sentence was "this won't last for the weekend", so that means panic's over, 17C for Monday or so.

For once there may actually be decent running weather for the Cork marathon!

Hopefully the good weather will return for about 2pm so that we can make good use of Cork's beer gardens!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

3 stars (average)
    ill be drivin down on monday morning and back after the race and and rock shandy if any body needs a lift....no weirdos or serial killers need apply

3 stars (average)
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    ill be drivin down on monday morning and back after the race and and rock shandy if any body needs a lift....no weirdos or serial killers need apply

Damn, that's me out on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Right, seeing as all I can seem to think about is 9am next monday I have just read back through this thread looking for info on water station frequency but can't find any answers and the website and course map offer little by way of info either.
    Does anybody know how often they are placed?
    I usually use Power bar gels but as you have to drink water with them I was thinking of using the SIS which don't require water so I could take them at intervals that suit regardless of the water stops. (usually go for 6-12-18-22 miles for gels)
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rich1982

3 stars (average)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Right, seeing as all I can seem to think about is 9am next monday I have just read back through this thread looking for info on water station frequency but can't find any answers and the website and course map offer little by way of info either.
    I usually use Power bar gels but as you have to drink water with them I was thinking of using the SIS which don't require water so I could take them at intervals that suit regardless of the water stops. (usually go for 6-12-18-22 miles for gels)
    Cheers.
    Rang this morning and got this. I was hoping the bananas would be at the stations rather than the finish. Need to plan how best to carry some bananas with me now.

There will be 13 water stations on the course, with additional water available at the start of the half marathon and at the finish line. This year, the water will be a mix of bottles and cups. Mains drinking water will be available at 5 stations across the course, so if you carry your own bottle you can fill up at any of these stations too.

The main stations are as follows:
    • Blackpool, just before O’Connell Street (c. 2.5 miles) BOTTLES
    • Horgan’s Quay (c. 4 miles)
    • Lower Glanmire Road (Tivoli) (c. 6 miles) BOTTLES
    • South Ring Road (c. 9 miles) BOTTLES
    Half Marathon Start Line
    • Blackrock Castle Carpark (c. 11.5 miles) BOTTLES & ENERGY DRINK
    • Railway Line at junction with Skehard Road (c. 14 miles) BOTTLES
    • Marina, Lee Rowing Club (c. 15.5 miles) & SPONGES
    • Curragh Road (c. 18 miles) & ENERGY DRINK
    • The Lough (c. 19.5 miles) & SPONGES
    • Model Farm Road (c. 21 miles) BOTTLES
    • Inchigaggin Lane (c. 23 miles) BOTTLES & ENERGY DRINK
    • Carrigrohane Road (c. 24 miles)
    • Mardyke, at Mardyke Bridge (c. 25 miles) BOTTLES
    • Finish Line: water & Fair Trade bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    As far as I remember thats more than other years, although with rain last year sponges weren't needed.
    Fair play to the orgainisers as I heard a rumour about the cups but thankfully there will be bottles at the majority of the stations. Its a pity they are not updating the info onto the website, for all to see. It would save them time answering the phone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Never even saw this website before but it seems to have more information than the 'official' one :rolleyes:

http://www.cometocork.ie/calendar/events/211/

All the water stations are listed in there along with some other info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Timely reminder to everyone to run 'the racing line'.

Every year I see people taking the 'scenic' route in Cork (and elsewhere). Taking the scenic route can add quite a bit to your run, e.g. between Turner's Cross Church (approx. 17.75M and Tramore Road (approx. 18.5M), a distance of 0.75M, you can add approx. 37 metres by going long.

The only time I'll take the longer route is when I'm 'hiding' behind someone due to strong headwinds!

What's different about this team is that it has always comprised solely of Cancer survivors.

This year we have 5 on the team:

Joe Dineen (Commons Road, Cork)
    Ruth Ahern (Waterford AC)
    John Quigley (Eagle AC & Douglas, Cork)
    Ned O'Brien (Clonmel AC & Fethard, Co. Tipperary)
    Mossie Shanahan (Togher, Cork)

This will be the third year in succession that we've run in the event, and every team member has had treatment for some form of Cancer, including Ovarian Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Skin Cancer, Prostate Cancer and Oesophogeal Cancer.

Last year we came home in 3:29:51....2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rasb

elnino23 wrote: »
    Will the pace sections be easy to find on the start line? its my first marathon and my plan is just under 4hrs so ill be joining you, altho im hoping to push on a bit after 20miles if i feel good, not guna chance pushing till then tho worried ill end up over 4 hr if i do and dont have the legs am i right in thinking that?

I recall last year that there was signs on lamposts behind the start line indicating the likely finish times. This was to encourage people to organise themselves according to likely pace. They will give you an indication of where to look for the ballons belonging to the pacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

We are a team of novice ladies, running the relay in 5 legs. Unforunatley for me, I've had to pull out with a bad back injury so I am now looking for someone to run the 6.6 mile leg for me. There would be no cost to you, all I need is someone to meet up on Sunday when we are collecting our race packs and obviously show up on the day!

Please PM me if interested. Any level of runner is welcome to this.

P.S I am sooooo gutted I cant run, best of luck to everyone on the day. Am so jealous.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

4 stars (good)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Cheers.

Just remember that the SIS Isotonic gels (And High5 Isogels, my preferred choice in Orange flavour) are usually taken every 20 minutes (starting at 40 or 60 minutes into the race), so that would be 9 or 10 for a lot of people. And at 60ml each, they are quite bulky, so you need to do a practice run carrying all of them to make sure they don't fall around your ankles. The High5 Isogels in orange flavour aren't a million miles from drinking Capri-Sun - okay a slighty slimey Capri-Sun, but still...

Good luck in the race!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

3 stars (average)
    poconnor16 wrote: »
    We are a team of novice ladies, running the relay in 5 legs. Unforunatley for me, I've had to pull out with a bad back injury so I am now looking for someone to run the 6.6 mile leg for me. There would be no cost to you, all I need is someone to meet up on Sunday when we are collecting our race packs and obviously show up on the day!

Please PM me if interested. Any level of runner is welcome to this.

P.S I am sooooo gutted I cant run, best of luck to everyone on the day. Am so jealous.:(

If I could afford a weekend in Cork I would snap your hand off. Hope yee find someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    If I could afford a weekend in Cork I would snap your hand off. Hope yee find someone.

LOL I was just gonna text yee about this. I can get you a cheap (free) hotel room if you want.

3 stars (average)
    DC wrote: »
    Just remember that the SIS Isotonic gels (And High5 Isogels, my preferred choice in Orange flavour) are usually taken every 20 minutes (starting at 40 or 60 minutes into the race), so that would be 9 or 10 for a lot of people. And at 60ml each, they are quite bulky, so you need to do a practice run carrying all of them to make sure they don't fall around your ankles. The High5 Isogels in orange flavour aren't a million miles from drinking Capri-Sun - okay a slighty slimey Capri-Sun, but still...

Good luck in the race!

10 gels???:eek: Seriously?

I took 4 in Dublin and had to force the 4th down, that's a lot of gloop!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    LOL I was just gonna text yee about this. I can get you a cheap (free) hotel room if you want.

Do it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

3 stars (average)
    rich1982 wrote: »
    [*]Blackrock Castle Carpark (c. 11.5 miles) BOTTLES & ENERGY DRINK

[*]Curragh Road (c. 18 miles) & ENERGY DRINK

[*]Inchigaggin Lane (c. 23 miles) BOTTLES & ENERGY DRINK

[/LIST]

Apologies if this was mentioned already but does anyone know what the energy drink is going to be?

PS. I've spotted the 10K and 15K markers painted onto the road recently. Also seen the 5 and 6 mile markers. 5 days to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

4 stars (good)
    They have had problems securing the energy drink but it is to be Lucozade sport as far is planned. (99% certain as of this morning).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Have to get to Cork airport from Midleton on Monday afternoon. Is tunnel open as normal from 11:30a.m??

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

4 stars (good)
    Have to get to Cork airport from Midleton on Monday afternoon. Is tunnel open as normal from 11:30a.m??

Check the Cork city council website if the Marathon site doesn't help for the exact time. But one bore of the tunnel will be open throughout but expect a small delay depending on traffic. The plan in previous years was to open the tunnel asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    The Running in Cork site has reams of info about the marathon next Monday - water stations, buses, traffic, locations etc etc!

4 stars (good)

Yes - tunnel opens fully around then. Only one bore of tunnel is closed for marathon, so there is traffic allowed through in both directions all the time.

4 stars (good)
    Its morning time, time for your daily weather choice.

Will you take:
    a) 17 degrees, times of clouds and sun. Winds from the N at 16 km/h.
    b) 14 degrees , Afternoon clouds. Mild. wind from West
    or
    c) 14 degreess, no rain, Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from north-northwest

The forecasts seem to be convergining now with 5 days to go.
    Looks like it will be dry, warm, but not too warm, and a northerly breeze.

Afaicr, both bores of the tunnel are opened from 11:30 (If people can't do 8 miles inside 2.5 hours, then the world will end! :rolleyes: )

Anyway as Richie-Rich says one bore of the tunnel is open at all times, with a contraflow operating.

4 stars (good)
    @ Condo:
    Have you marked out the course yet?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Condo131 wrote: »
    (If people can't do 8 miles inside 2.5 hours, then the world will end! :rolleyes: )
    There were some people last year who took longer than that to finish the Women's Mini-Marathon :eek:

• Advertisement

@ Condo:
    Have you marked out the course yet?
    Somebody else doing that - TG - it's started and being done.

Advertisement