Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Heat - Overcharged?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 boozezela

I have recently acquired a briefing from the Custom House Square Management, that shows that:

1-There are 586 apartments suffering from this cluster **** caused by the installation of the new meters
    2-That all the problems related to overcharging, malfunctioning meters, malfunctioning heating, where very well known.

I have highlighted the relevant sections for your convenience, feel free to copy this PDF to other cloud services.

I strongly believe we need to meet to discuss how to leak this to the media and what to do next.

https:// www . dropbox . com/s/5jpbgrfpu2ubeun/2014.05-CHSM%20Briefing.pdf?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭johnnymorgan

Hi Boozezela,

Thanks for the info?

What do you hope to gain by leaking to media etc? From my understanding of this situation, if the management company take the "system" over, its better for the owners/tenants, albeit the unit cost might go up(not ideal!!)

I had a chat with Serena of BGH the other day, as I stopped paying them last September.. I "owe" them over 2200. Some mix up with meters etc. I have a meter inside my house, am a bit diff to most apartments where I am positioned.. Anyway they have wiped off all my usage as they messed it up and as an apology for having this mess. So for me, I have never paid for any unit usage in over 2.5 yrs :) I will just pay them the rental I havent paid in last year(55*4 so far)..

So since BGH are selling this to CHSM, what is point of chasing them, but from reading the document, it was well known it seemed, and we were being shafted alright..

Happy to help, but as said, I have had my unit usage for last 2.5 yrs wiped off so don't think will get better.

J

Hi Boozezela,

Thanks for the info?

What do you hope to gain by leaking to media etc? From my understanding of this situation, if the management company take the "system" over, its better for the owners/tenants, albeit the unit cost might go up(not ideal!!)

- I want this ****up to be exposed and become public knowledge, so that BG Heat will not be able to forcefully collect the bills.
    - The whole outstanding balance to be forfeited as a small token for the many hours wasted on the matter.
    - BG Heat to be fined for the way they have been ignoring the whole matter for years.

Note how they are contributing with €200K+ towards the renovations, probably not to be sued for more.

That's a good point alright.. You have the info there to expose them, how you go about it is the thing.. If you can get in a national paper or get a public person to back it. Use social media but depends on how many people you know ;) and if they care about reposting/tweeting etc..

They don't deserve to get any money from us, as you said they knew about this f*ck up for years..

But yeah I would be interested in meeting and/or trying to do something on this. This is really p*ssing me off that they have known about these problems for years and done nothing to rectify them, while each one of us has had our own battle with this "company"..

Lets sink them if we can! We need a strategy for this..

Get something in paper/media good for sure.. Bad press will not help them, and BG will want to silence it quickly.. Better to try and go legal route, but find a solicitor who would be interested is the problem(plus find the people here who would be bothered), and who will do it cheap etc..

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I have a letter tonight (probably delivered Friday) dated 27th August informing me that BG Heat services are terminating at Custom House Square effective 26th September, that CHS management will be writing to us with the new details/arrangements, and that Frontline Energy will be the new provider.

Usual stuff about current account being terminated and final BG Heat bill to arrive at the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭manuhalo

A new letter was delivered today asking to register to Frontline for the new service. The nasty news is that they increased the price per kW/h from 5.92 cents to 8 cents! That is over twice as much as the hypothetical increase of 1 cent they were discussing in the document above. It is also almost as high as the price Bord Gais customers pay per kW/h if they choose the plan without standing charge, except we pay a standing charge which is almost three times the bord gais one - in other words, we get the worst of both worlds (source: bordgaisenergy . ie/publications/tariffs/ ). I wish I had time and patience to rally people together to refuse registering until Frontline lower their requests...

That is a hefty increase alright..

Look enough talking on this.. We need to meet up and discuss this. There is a pub next door(lagoona). we should pick a date and time.. As by sounds of it frontline are coming and we have nothing to do with it. The agm voted for it.. but surely there has to be some leeway on the amount they increase, as I doubt it would have been voted in if there was to be that amount of an increase?

J

Actually on page 7 last paragraph, "as a cent or two per KWh"..

so two cents is mentioned.. Document wasnt questioned or clarified so they have taken the upper limit and rounded up to 8..

Not lot I think we can do so..
    I never got the letter about AGM, I am a tenant not an owner as are a lot in there which is half the problem, the owners don't really care about these issues

Frontline's contract is a funny read:

- "Equipment" means the satellite district heating unit, ###excluding the heat meter###, installed in the Customer's apartment and connected to the District Heating System.

- "Heat charge" means the fee payable to frontline per kWh of heat used by the Customer.

- "Heat meter" means the meter installed in the Equipment, which records on a continuous basis...

So the meter is not the meter in the apartment except that it is. :)

And by the way these meters do not record, usage, they ESTIMATE it based on 3 variables:

Temperature of the water at thermal probe 1, temperature of the returning water at thermal probe 2, amount of water flowing, which is determined - if i recall correctly - using sonic waves.

Said that, if the meter is not properly setup and calibrated, it is not accurate.
    In my case, a couple of years ago I have noticed that it took 1 minute to reach the "peak measurement" and 15-20 to go back to zero, even cutting off the water supply closing both valves on the flow and return pipes.

Also I do not see a section that lists their obligations and responsibilities, but being 1AM, I could just be tired...

I am available every evening from 6PM onward for a meeting. Lagoona is a nice place.

By the way, the increase is not just "a couple of cents, plus rounding", because going from 5.92c/kWh to 8c/kWh there is an increase of 35.1%, which means that what under BG Heat was a €100 bill, under Frontline will magically become a €135 bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I got a letter from frontline last night.

So they want 250 euro before the end of the month. and that's a deposit on top of regular bills.

Well that's my cashflow gone for the month and seems like even better customer service is on the way!

Haven't received letter yet, was going to wait another day and contact them for it..

250 euro is pretty hefty alright. I assume we get that when we leave at some point? (only useful if you are a tenant)

Don't really see what option there is.. I was talking to the management company director(Adrian Carrie) yesterday.. He stated that in long run bills would be cheaper as it would be more efficient, but as always Ill wait and see..

In end of day what can we do.. There is no other company that can provide the service as the apartments there are not fitted for normal gas etc, so only this sh*t system can be used.. Now its been sold to Frontline, so no idea how good they are..

Did the letter say anything about when bill period starts from? Are they going to take an actual reading(as I am not letting them do an estimated one).

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

BG heat will cease to be your supplier on 24/09. With effect from 24th frontline will be managing all billings on the basis of individual meter readings. The meters will be read automatically and individual bills issued bi-monthly to you based on your heating and hot water use. Can scan the letter and send you a copy of you want? Just got mine yesterday.

I agree about meeting up. Does someday after work this week suit people?

250 euro is pretty hefty alright. I assume we get that when we leave at some point? (only useful if you are a tenant)

Assuming you don't owe them any money and there are no balance adjustments needed, they state you'll get your deposit back in 56 days.

By the way, I wouldn't hurry to sign that contract, as in the price section there are no figures.

IANAL, bu I wouldn't want to be in a situation where they can bill me whatever amount they want, change the price as they fit without informing me and the likes. Besides the you decide to terminate the agreement, they want a notice of THREE months, which would make the final accounting, when you move out, a nightmare.

I am not going to sign, a conversion to immersion heating and heat storage seems cheaper in the long run.

As per the price going down in the future, the argument does make any sense: if you circulate the same amount of water in the apartment, at the same temperature, you will be paying the same amount of money, regardless of the efficiency of the system.

That is bull alright. 3 months.. how is that fair to a tenant? What tenant can give 3 months notice on something? A lot of people there are foreign and if they decide to go home they have to know 3 months in advance. What a joke!!

How was this voted in. I would say vast majority of people in there are tenants and so the owners of the apartments don't care and hence didn't even vote or ask any questions in relation to this contract that we all have to suffer under..

I am interested in meeting up. But honesty is there anything we can do at this stage? The decision has been made, come 3 weeks time there is new company in place.. Join or they cut you off! As a tenant I doubt I can go altering the heating system in an apartment I don't own so what option do I have but get screwed! :S

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭manuhalo

As a single tenant there is nothing you can do, you are right. Now if a large fraction of the tenants refused to join, the heating company wouldn't be able to sustain the expenses, and rather than operating at a loss they would be forced to come to term with us. But there is little point in 3-4 people meeting in a pub to discuss this, we should go door to door and get people to adhere to this initiative. And I doubt any of us has the time and dedication to see this through... so we'll sign.

sadly you are right.. :S

I am strongly thinking of not though. Just whether I can put up with cold showers is the think haha. Heating I can do without. I can buy an electic heater etc.

manuhalo wrote: »
    As a single tenant there is nothing you can do, you are right. Now if a large fraction of the tenants refused to join, the heating company wouldn't be able to sustain the expenses, and rather than operating at a loss they would be forced to come to term with us. But there is little point in 3-4 people meeting in a pub to discuss this, we should go door to door and get people to adhere to this initiative. And I doubt any of us has the time and dedication to see this through... so we'll sign.

The point of meeting is to discuss how to leak the document to the media.

Unless you all are happy to pay the arrears in full when BG Heat will come knocking on the door or the bills are transferred for collection to an agency that will **** your credit rating as well in the process.

In any case, the water tank is also equipped with an "access port" that is used to fit an immersion heater should any of you would want to still have access to hot water.

Installation and electricity to run it are you, but it probably will be cheaper than paying the compulsory charge for the privilege of having an energy provider, plus usage.

"how to leak to media" - I don't see the point of meeting to discuss this really..

1. Contact TDS/local politicians.
    2. Write letters to Bord Gais and give them offer to write off all bills or else(maybe)
    3. Plaster all over social media.
    4. Contact local papers(metro herald for example)
    5. Write to the broadsheets - times/indo etc..
    6. Contact radio stations etc.

I wont pay them anything.. I have it on record that my usage has been wiped off(all of it) so maximum I would have to pay would be 4-5 maintenance payments, I will discuss and push to get this wrote off as well, as they have not done what I have asked of them within the time frame so I am sure I can get it wrote off..

Being able to put in an immersion heater is only good for an owner. I am a tenant so its of no use to me. I can hardly alter the apartment that I don't own.. I agree it is probably cheaper but since I dont own apartment I dont have the option sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sened

Hi All,

Just saw this link. Re Frontline I won't sign the contract. My opinion is that I had a contract with BG (I was actually happy with them) and a third party cancelled this contract and forcing me to a new. All financial responsibility (the increase) should be with those who cancelled the contract. Is the meeting still on?

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Is there a way to get that PDf doc that Boozezela posted at that link? (I am new here cannot post links.)

Can someone please forward that to me?

@Sened.

A third party did not cancel it.. BG were winding down the service.. So the management company took it over and needed a new supplier.. Frontline were chosen and it was all voted in back in May I think.. All owners apparently received the letter about it.. A lot of people are tenants in there so probably knew nothing about the meeting.

If you are an owner, you had the responsibility to vote, if you are tenant you are same as me..

The fact you are happy with BG, is a surprise :) But either way they were winding down the service so come end of this month they are gone.. So you can sign up with the new supplier, or alter the apartment and put in a new immersion yourself or have cold water for ever :)

J

can we discuss it in private? i am not the owner. i was happy with bg because i didnt know anything about the possible overcharge until yesterday. if the overcharge is true (installing the new valves might prove it) i am happy to take actions against bg. do you know who paid for the valve installation? my idea is that it was frontline that is why the price is increased by 30% they push it back to the consumer. (just an idea.)

does anyone know that who paid/will pay for the valve installation?

Sened wrote: »
    does anyone know that who paid/will pay for the valve installation?

Bord Gais apparently - it was negotiated into the price of selling the heating system. I can send you the document boozezela posted if you PM me your email address.

I havent received any response from BGH on my outstanding bill, despite nearly emailing them every two weeks since June. I was onto the Commission for Energy Regulation and they said BGH was outside of their remit, and to contact the National Consumer Agency who I am waiting to hear back from.

The commission said the same to me.. and the consumer agency were of no help either.. you are wasting your time..

I am not too worried about BGH as don't think they have much ground to stand on since they were aware of all these problems for a long time(the document proofs that)

The thing of signing up with frontline that annoyed me was having to give 3 months notice but have confirmed that with Denise in there
    "Hi John

I understand your concerns here. The 3 months is a guideline really. Sometimes we receive notification the day before a move out and Frontline Energy are well equipped to deal with such cases. We urge the tenants to notify us when they know they are moving which is as you said in most cases is 1 months’ notice. The owner will notify us directly also. On the morning of your departure we will take a read and generate a bill which will be hand delivered to you by the building manager or you can receive this electronically.
    When this bill is paid we will refund your deposit and close your account with Frontline Energy"

The price going up. Meh, nothing I can do about this.. It was voted in so we are stuck with it. As said in other posts, can put in immersion but if you are a tenant you don't have the option.

So for me I will sign up, but BGH wont get a cent from me.

Well I didn't think I had anything to lose as I am not getting a response from BGH. They are more than likely to help then local politicians/TDs to be fair.

Hi messy tessy,

can you post it to <SNIP>?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sened wrote: »
    Hi messy tessy,

can you post it to <SNIP>?

@Sened, it's generally not a good idea to post your email address for all the world, good and bad, to see. If you want to give a user your email address I suggest you contact the user directly via the PM feature. It's safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ronnipo

Guys. This is a total rip off. We should definitely do something about it and not just wait with our fingers crossed that we will pay less. This won't happen!!!
    I just called Frontline and they confirmed that we will get charged 50 eur per month even if we don't use the heating at all which is more than we were paying when we were actually using the heating at the moment (our bill was 44 eur per month max; 88 for two months). The gas charges will then be put on top of that! I'm just wondering how much can we expect to be charged then. More than 100eur per month? Are we living in castle or a lousy apartment?
    I would suggest we gather and call up the Custom House management. They were the ones who made that brilliant decision. I would like to hear what they have to say about this. Maybe they can tell us how much money they put into their pockets for liaising with Frontline.
    Let me know if you are in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement