Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door chugging

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Are you Bilbo Baggins?

Who's he when he's at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Had someone call round just yesterday. Some mum apparently getting sponsorship for her child to go to Africa. I asked, whats the cause? Like, why is he going to Africa, what charity blah blah. She came out with 3 different charities and 3 different reasons before I told her I wasn't interested, and she then said 'my son is dying and your denying him his last treat you ****' then stormed off and starting calling me a **** from down the street.

Strangely satisfied...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Too many robberies in the area of late - made sense to put one in

Have the robberies happened while people have been at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I just tell them I dont give my bank details to strangers. They make a percentage of anyone they sign up. Thats why they are so pushy.

I did that, and one guy who wouldn't take NO for an answer, said to me "Have you ever written a cheque ? Well the information you wont give me is on a cheque"
    My husband heard him, and ran him down the drive way.

Only last week I was getting into the car in my driveway, and one knocked on my window as I was pulling out. Tried to be a polite as possible, no etc, as I was inching out he was walking with me still talking.
    The hubby was in the kitchen at the time ( front of house) watching this strange exchange, and appara when I pulled out and drove off, he watched me and then spat in my driveway.

Lovely !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Too many robberies in the area of late - made sense to put one in
    Chugging is the perfect cover story/alibi for a burglar. This is one of the main reasons I think it should be especially banned door to door, or just close this ridiculous loophole in these begging laws.

I wonder if you could do a citizens arrest on them, you could at least threaten it, or ask for details and ask them to wait while you ring the gardai to confirm they are not burglars. Then go inside and don't bother your hole and have them waiting all day for that garda, scared that if they head off it looks like they as fleeing the scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i think next time ill asnwer the door dressed as Edward scissors hands, ill be nice and friendly and give em a good farmers handshake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Forgive my ignorance but.... What are chuggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭BQQ

Forgive my ignorance but.... What are chuggers?

Charity-muggers

The ones who accost you on the street looking for you to set up a direct debit to a charity, so they can earn commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

I love it when the Jehovah's come to visit. My husband has such entertaining chats with them. The last time, he raised some very colourful questions so the two younger JW's at ours went down the estate to bring back some older ones for back up. Husband demolished them as well and they've never been back.

He's in a particularly grouchy mood today and it is a perfect day for them to call and make me entertained. Is there away to Dial-a-ReligiousNutJobProselytiser ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Ha slightly OT here but when I was in college I was living with an awful shower of messers. There was 2 Jehova's Witnesses calling to each house and we set up a bit of a prank. One of the lads had a massive teddy bear he had just bought for his girlfriend or some shíte.

Anyway they knock on the door and I entertained them for a few minutes, being nice and respectful. My friend then gently pushed the teddy down the stairs and it lands beside me. I said in all seriousness 'would ye excuse me for a minute lads' and turned to the teddy and started shouting at it, about how he knew he was grounded and that he wasn't meant to be out of his room etc. I marched it up the stairs with a few more expletives and then went back to the lads at the door and tried to restart the conversation like nothing had happened. It was priceless, they didn't know what to do. Then I invited them in but they made their excuses and left.

One of my funniest memories from college :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Not so much chuggers but my door bell is going hell for leather all morning. First it was the postman, then it was some man (I thought was going to murder me) selling bags of potatoes and he had literally just left, and there was two Jehovah's banging on the door.
    When you're elderly and all your friends are dead you might be gratefull for the odd visitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Are you including the SVP as chuggers? I dont mind it when they call around twice a year for their set collections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Hey you know what everyone should start doing? Be really nice to them when they approach, listen to them parp on and on and on and then when it comes to giving them bank details just walk away. That way, we will be wasting their time, getting their hopes up and dashing them and...having fun doing it hahahha

That's what I do, I fein interest in their cause or product and at the end of their pitch I say "not interested"

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

this really gets on my nerves, I live in an apartment with shared entrance so once someone buzzes them in they're in.... I just tell them i don't give my bank details to anyone who knocks on my door and I don't support charities that pay people €14 an hour to hound people in their homes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

this really gets on my nerves, I live in an apartment with shared entrance so once someone buzzes them in they're in.... I just tell them i don't give my bank details to anyone who knocks on my door and I don't support charities that pay people €14 an hour to hound people in their homes

Most of them wouldn't get that much.
    It's usually commission only and then it's only if you stay singed up for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

BQQ wrote: »
    Charity-muggers

The ones who accost you on the street looking for you to set up a direct debit to a charity, so they can earn commission.

Jesus... Thats rather aggressive!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 conja

I just answer the door wearing only boxers. I act like I am interested and try to keep him there as long as possible. The poor bastard desperately wants to get away but can't in fear he will lose a commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Most of them wouldn't get that much.
    It's usually commission only and then it's only if you stay singed up for a few months

check out jobs.ie there's loads advertised with hourly rates starting at €12 ph
    here's one
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1188805

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I've never had any chuggers to the door yet.

I'd treat them the same way I treat them in the street. Put on my headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Are you including the SVP as chuggers? I dont mind it when they call around twice a year for their set collections

No SVP are a decent charity which help the poorest of the poor in Ireland and rely on volunteers. Unlike the most of those "charities" who pay their collected up to €17 per hour(seen it on one of the job sites). Like most of the chugger charities are BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'd normally just close the door, but I like the idea of holding them up by talking to them with no intention of buying anything. If everyone did that we could wipe out this scourge.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

o1s1n wrote: »
    Got sick of this myself, so I stuck up a sign next to the door saying 'No sales/Charity/religion/Politics' - works a treat. Haven't had any of the annoying buggers calling by since.
    Just tried this and have only had 2 callers in 5 weeks one claims he did not notice sign as he was chatting to colleague at the time next was window cleaner who apologized immediately for disturbing us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I actually used to be one of these 'chuggars'. Only did it for a week before I left, horrible job working horrible hours.

These people have a 'pitch' to say before asking you to commit, this pitch (or speech) just tries to appeal to your humane side before going in for the kill. My advice would be not to let them start talking, just say you've already signed up with that charity, they will then probably ask how much you give a month (they will ask in a nice way obviously), you say €21. Job done.

Don't ignore the doorbell, they will just call back, best thing to do is go out to the door and say you're already donating. Don't let them start.

And for the love of God, unless they're pricks, please act decent towards them. It's not a lot to ask. I was always respectful of people's privacy, but I was treated horribly by a lot of people. Most of these 'chuggars' are only doing it temporarily to make some cash, and most are students from my experience. They don't want to be there any more than you want them to be there. That said you will come across pricks, my boss was an asshole, use to tap on doors and windows with the tip of his pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No. The best way to deal with them is to open the door so they're aware you've seen them, and close it again before they have a chance to draw breath on the first syllable of their pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just past a gang of them getting their pep talk at the entrance to my estate. Guess I'll be ignoring the doorbell tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

I wait until they are in mid sentence and then interupt. The rehearsed bit is
    gone and in a way they are lost. Then I close the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

De Bellem wrote: »
    I wait until they are in mid sentence and then interupt. The rehearsed bit is
    gone and in a way they are lost. Then I close the door

like this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

As soon as I open the door I tell them they are on private property and if the walk back to the end of the driveway and then shout up what they want that I'll listen then...

Most just keep walking away but a few shout up what they want and I just close the door after they shout a few words.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Fed up with bloody chuggers calling to the door. Last week as I was walking home from work I saw some chugger going door to door in my estate, so I went to visit my parents to avoid her. A while later at home she was bloody back, didn't answer the door though. 5 times that bloody evening she called back. :mad: the best one was when hiding from another chugger my 6 year old shouted out out "there is noone here so go away you bloody idiots" :D

Advertisement