Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm looking for accommodation from January. Not fussy where, but under €300pm would be a blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mademoiselle_r

Hi, I'm looking for accomodation for 2nd semester. If anyone knows of anywhere, give me a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hannah2191

I'm starting Denominated Psychology this year (2015-2016) and I'm wondering how and where to find accommodation. I moved here from Sweden so i'm not very familiar with the system/ city. I know NUIG has student accommodation but I'm not very keen on paying 500 a month, it must be possible to get it cheaper..

So, I'm wondering when I need to start looking for a room and what is the best way :)

I'm starting Denominated Psychology this year (2015-2016) and I'm wondering how and where to find accommodation. I moved here from Sweden so i'm not very familiar with the system/ city. I know NUIG has student accommodation but I'm not very keen on paying 500 a month, it must be possible to get it cheaper..

So, I'm wondering when I need to start looking for a room and what is the best way :)

Oh and I'll be 20 when I start and have lived away from home for more then a year by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Julia_

Hey, I'm going to be an Erasmus student at NUI Galway, starting september 2015 and I'm also wondering where to find accommodation. Does anyone have any recommendations for international students? I'll be 20 and in my 3rd year when I start.
    I have already had a look at different student accommodation like Corrib Village or Cuirt Na Coiribe but I'm open for other suggestions. And like hannah2191 I'm wondering when is the best time to start looking ?

Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement

It's me, again :P I've found out, that most student residences have started accepting bookings a few days ago, is it already too late to apply for me? Is it likely that they are already booked out?
    Also I've heard that some of them are fairly strict, is it really that bad? Do they allow to have friends over or even let them stay overnight? Do they allow any parties? I'm really uncertain right now, because of course I'm there to study, but I also want to meet new people and have some fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Julia_ wrote: »
    It's me, again :P I've found out, that most student residences have started accepting bookings a few days ago, is it already too late to apply for me? Is it likely that they are already booked out?
    Also I've heard that some of them are fairly strict, is it really that bad? Do they allow to have friends over or even let them stay overnight? Do they allow any parties? I'm really uncertain right now, because of course I'm there to study, but I also want to meet new people and have some fun :)
    No its not too late to apply and you wont know if you don't try book. It isn't that bad regarding people staying over but it will vary from place to place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi there, student accommodation is quite good for Erasmus students however if your worried about how strict certain places are Id rule out corrib village and cuirt na corribe. Corrib village has dedicated blocks for internationals/ Erasmus students however it is mainly for first years. Also the buildings are very old,cold, and in my opinion very overpriced for what you pay. Cuirt na corribe would be deemed as a more luxurious place however from my experience security are very strict and on a lot of occasions iv seen security kicking out people even when it's early in the night.

Okay, thank you! So which places would you recommend? I just want to live somewhere, where I can make new friends (not necessarily international students) and it would be convenient if that place would be close to the campus :P

Also, I've heard about Gort na coiribe, is there a difference between cuirt and gort?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Feinz

Hi there,

Are there any students out there who are sub-letting there apartment for the summer months May,June,July,August. We are in search of a two bedroom apartment/house in the city centre for these months only. I understand that places outside the city centre like Gort/Dun na Coirbe do summer rentals however we are looking for somewhere more central. If anyone reading this is interested or knows of anyone who would be interested in sub-letting can you get in contact with me or point me in the right direction. I'm finding it quite hard to find a place as most agencies want yearly contracts. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭STEEL COMET

Hey just seen corrib village is booked out! I'm on the waiting list but what are the chances of getting in this way??
    I don't want to be stuck looking for accommodation in August so would I be better to book somewhere else??

Somewhere with plenty of first years (other than corrib!)

any opinions on
    1. Cuirt na Coiribe
    2. amhra house
    3. menlow

Thanks folks!

Hey Steel Comet,
    I got told the same on friday...they said that they will inform me in august whether I get a room or not, but not everyone on the waiting list will get a room. So I decided to apply for cuirt na coiribe and they already promised me accommodation. It wasn't my first choice but at least I got something.
    So maybe it's better to book somewhere else, I can't tell you my opinion on the residences as I've never been there, but Cuirt apparently still has some rooms available (unlike gort na coiribe) ;)

thanks Julia,

Did you ring them up or just send off the application form??

I think Im settling for cuirt too..... least I wont be the only first year!

I wrote an email and they told me to send the application form, which I did ;)
    But I have to disappoint you, I'll be in my 3rd year but it's my first year at NUIG (and I really hope to meet nice people since I don't know anybody there) :P

Thanks Julia... Where you coming from??

Give us a buzz on this in September for a few pints hey!!!

Germany haha :) Sure, good luck with finding accommodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Donegal1995

Anyone living in Gort na Coribe in September/lived there before?:) opinions?:)

Anyone living in Gort na Coribe in September/lived there before?:) opinions?:)

I think its booked out........... meant to be the best student accom in galway anyway..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 newsoftheworld

Starting 1st year Arts in September, will be 20 and looking for private accommodation. Anyone interested in organising something together?

Starting 1st year Arts in September, will be 20 and looking for private accommodation. Anyone interested in organising something together?

I might be! Will be starting psychology (so also arts) in September, well also be 20 and looking for private accomodation! Send me a pm maybe? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Anyone have any landlord numbers around lower newcastle for next year? Looking for a 3/4 bed house we're all going to be postgrads. PM me cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 35 StoryBuuud

hannah2191 wrote: »
    I might be! Will be starting psychology (so also arts) in September, well also be 20 and looking for private accomodation! Send me a pm maybe? :)

Going to be transferring into Second Year Arts from UCC to NUIG and I'm also looking at private accommodation. PM me if ye're looking for another

My mother tried booking gort for me. She's not great with technology but she said she thinks she booked it within 15 minutes (it apparently booked out in 15 minutes) how do I know if I've got a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

My mother tried booking gort for me. She's not great with technology but she said she thinks she booked it within 15 minutes (it apparently booked out in 15 minutes) how do I know if I've got a place?

I am sure they will send you an email confirming your place or you could try ringing them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ring them in the morning and you'll know if you've got a place or not

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Liamo290

Hey im thinking of doing Commerce or Arts in NUIG in September I will be going by myself where would be a good place to stay? And when would be too late for booking? I'm not 100% sure if im going to NUIG but hopefully I will any help would be hugely appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Goob

Hey guys! I'm doing Commerce/Arts next year in NUIG and am looking for accommodation. Me and two friends are looking at Donegan but everytime we try ring them there is now answer. Anyone know if they accept email applications or do I have to post them?

Anyone know anything about dunaras? Is it strict? Are there many houseparties/ can friends stay over?
    What times does the shuttlebus run?
    What are the rooms like?
    how are the security?
    Are there many 1st years?

dunaras meant to be lovely quality accommodation but only thing its really far from nuig.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 hfitzy1

Hey guys im hoping to transfer into 2nd year in galway and was gonna book corrib with my friend who is going into first year but im currently on the waiting list
    Just wondering does anyone know what the craic is like in menlo and the conditions and what not?

Advertisement