Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM PUNK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    True,but Zuffa is banking on the wrestling fans that left once Brock went back to the WWE will want to see Punk's fights.

Just some training at the Gracie Academy in Torrance, but considering how often WWE would be in CA that would be once every couple of months.

So in nutshell. No. Nothing for him to really hang his hat on.

Rener Gracie is married to Eve Torres who is in the WWE so Rener used to travel around with the WWE crew a lot. Punk and Rener would train together, but still it wouldn't have been very frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

JJayoo wrote: »
    Rener Gracie is married to Eve Torres who is in the WWE so Rener used to travel around with the WWE crew a lot. Punk and Rener would train together, but still it wouldn't have been very frequent.

Eve hasn't been with the WWE for a few years now. Plus the Divas have a lighter travel schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Just been reading a few old articles about CM Punk and one thing popped up a few times that really made my teeth grate.

He calls himself a ''white belt for life''. Surely I can't be the only one that finds this highly pretentious. Who does he think he is??

Not that it was needed, but a further indication that he is in for a short sharp awakening when he gets in the octagon. Maybe not in his debut but it's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

John_D80 wrote: »
    He calls himself a ''white belt for life''. Surely I can't be the only one that finds this highly pretentious. Who does he think he is??
    What's the issue with that?

I assume that he doesn't train often enough in the gi to grade. Rather than purposely sandbagging so he can roll with beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

also hes not literally saying that hes going to remain a white belt, he means he'll always be learning, he explained this the first time he used the phrase, would've called that humble rather than pretentious myself...

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    What's the issue with that?

I assume that he doesn't train often enough in the gi to grade. Rather than purposely sandbagging so he can roll with beginners.

I certainly don't reckon it to be anything like he's deliberately sandbagging. A guy of his high profile would never get away with it for long and plenty guys train nogi only and still go up through their belts in fairness.

I just think it showed poor understanding and respect of the traditions from a guys that's training with such high level instructors.
    Depp wrote: »
    also hes not literally saying that hes going to remain a white belt, he means he'll always be learning, he explained this the first time he used the phrase, would've called that humble rather than pretentious myself...

If he did mean it from a learning for life standpoint then that's fair enough if he didn't mean it literally. I only read a few references to it. Humility and jiu jitsu do go hand in hand I guess.

I read a cool transcript of a conversation between a black belt and a white belt recently that kinda highlights that. Went something like:

BB: Hey I watched you in your last roll, you did really well.
    WB: wow thanks, I thought I got killed.
    BB: no you did good, have you been training long?
    WB: no, not long at all, couple of months, I'm just a beginner .
    BB: cool, me too. Anyway keep it up and I'll see you around.

Hand slap, fist bump, Black belt walks off, leaving White belt open mouthed, pondering life and the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Cool story Bro.

Just been reading a few old articles about CM Punk and one thing popped up a few times that really made my teeth grate.

Not that it was needed, but a further indication that he is in for a short sharp awakening when he gets in the octagon. Maybe not in his debut but it's coming.

The funny thing about that whole "white belt for life" bit in the Ariel helwani interview he contradicted himself a couple of seconds later by saying no one has ever offered him a belt promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The funny thing about that whole "white belt for life" bit in the Ariel helwani interview he contradicted himself a couple of seconds later by saying no one has ever offered him a belt promotion.

Not even vince McMahon??

T-K-O wrote: »
    Cool story Bro.

Thanks bro. Glad you liked it enough to take the time to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Not even vince McMahon??

He's had those just never a Wrestlemania main event :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

http://youtu.be/P4IZbCl6iR4 good training from cm punk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Anyone heard anything on this? Think it's now just over a year since they announced that he had signed for the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Didn't he injure himself in training

Summer. Dana White currently looking for an opponent as part of his "Looking for a Fight" internet show. It will be likely someone outside the UFC from a different promotion.

Despite not having an actual fight in the UFC yet. CM Punk is apart of the upcoming UFC 2 game.

http://whatculture.com/gaming/cm-punk-confirmed-for-ea-sports-ufc-2.php

I shudder to think what stats they'll give him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Despite not having an actual fight in the UFC yet. CM Punk is apart of the upcoming UFC 2 game.

Bruce Lee was in the last game so I'm not quite sure what the outrage is about.

ASOT wrote: »
    Bruce Lee was in the last game so I'm not quite sure what the outrage is about.

It's the once-upon-a-time die-hard WWF "attitude era" fans who now claim they never watched "that fake sh!t" having a tissy fit because the UFC are including a current signed fighter in their game that will likely result in more sales than 75% of the remainder of the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

The lowest possible until he can prove otherwise apparently..

It's the once-upon-a-time die-hard WWF "attitude era" fans who now claim they never watched "that fake sh!t" having a tissy fit because the UFC are including a current signed fighter in their game that will likely result in more sales than 75% of the remainder of the roster.

Most MMA fans have an issue with him being in the UFC full stop, and his background is irrelevant to them. I, and most of my friends that are MMA fans, have never managed to sit through more than 5 minutes of that WWE guff.

No one I know that thinks he shouldn't be in the UFC was ever a WWE fan in fact. He shouldn't be in the UFC, plain and simple. Objections to him being in the game are just an extension of these feelings.

So far he has brought nothing to the sport whatsoever, besides a few soundbites and quoted tweets, And he certainly wont be solely responsible for anywhere even remotely near 75% of sales of this game. First UFC game sold just fine without him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Fighters who are 0-0 can't even get into TUF I think it goes without saying CM PUNK should not be competing in the UFC, I use competing lightly as its unknown if he's able to.

I imagine he's suffered plenty of concussions over the years performing stunts he is also 37, guess is he has zero-three fights if he doesn't get in the octagon this year he never will I think.

From the UFC's perspective its to put him on a PPV to introduce a newer era of WWE fans to actual fighting almost 9 years on from Brocks debut they aren't concerned about if current fans of the sport think of it they'll prob tune in want of him getting KTFO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

As Callen put it, "why not get Brad Pitt in?"

So far he has brought nothing to the sport whatsoever, besides a few soundbites and quoted tweets, And he certainly wont be solely responsible for anywhere even remotely near 75% of sales of this game. First UFC game sold just fine without him

You're missing my point. I meant he'd account for more sales than 75% of the rest of the roster. Not that he'd account for 75% of the sales. There's a massive difference.

Never-the-less, it's up to the Fertitas and Dana White who gets signed and for what kind of cash. They are an entertainment company after all, and big names pay the bills. The UFC "die hards" ( :D ) have ate it up with a spoon as much as the WWF/WWE fans who will watch when he eventually debuts.

And I have to disagree with one of your other points. Maybe your friends didn't have Sky Sports growing up, but ALL of my friends who consider themselves die-hard MMA fans were big lovers of the Rock and Stone Cold back in the day.

You're missing my point. I meant he'd account for more sales than 75% of the rest of the roster. Not that he'd account for 75% of the sales. There's a massive difference.

Never-the-less, it's up to the Fertitas and Dana White who gets signed and for what kind of cash. They are an entertainment company after all, and big names pay the bills. The UFC "die hards" ( :D ) have ate it up with a spoon as much as the WWF/WWE fans who will watch when he eventually debuts.

And I have to disagree with one of your other points. Maybe your friends didn't have Sky Sports growing up, but ALL of my friends who consider themselves die-hard MMA fans were big lovers of the Rock and Stone Cold back in the day.

To be honest I just dont see any connect whatsoever between MMA and pro wrestling so I dont see why there would be a crossover for fans. I doubt you'd find that many pro wrestling fans on the MMA forum here to be honest.

To be honest I just dont see any connect whatsoever between MMA and pro wrestling so I dont see why there would be a crossover for fans.
    You're in denial here. There's a massive cross-over in terms of the 18-35 demographic.
    I doubt you'd find that many pro wrestling fans on the MMA forum here to be honest.
    Again, there's probably not many who watch the current WWE product, but the likes of the Rock and Stone Cold were household names in the late 90's and early 00's and were watched by almost any guy around my age that I've spoken to. Unless of course they lived under a rock, or a farm somewhere with nothing other than 4 channels they got from the rabbits ears. But for those who were smelling what the Rock was cooking and had "multi-channel" or a tapped black box, a lot of these now consider themselves die-harders in the "MMA Universe" ( :pac: ).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I was a big wwf fan back in the rock and hardy boys days but its not the reason I got into mma,there is zero crossover from me personally one is staged actors jumping off ladders and cages with fake chairs to real unarmed pure combat.

You're in denial here. There's a massive cross-over in terms of the 18-35 demographic.

In denial? Its my opinion mate, I just dont see the connection between what is essentially a staged spectacle and an actual sport.

Again, there's probably not many who watch the current WWE product, but the likes of the Rock and Stone Cold were household names in the late 90's and early 00's and were watched by almost any guy around my age that I've spoken to. Unless of course they lived under a rock, or a farm somewhere with nothing other than 4 channels they got from the rabbits ears. But for those who were smelling what the Rock was cooking and had "multi-channel" or a tapped black box, a lot of these now consider themselves die-harders in the "MMA Universe" ( :pac: ).

Well then we obviously moved in very different circles. I certainly didn't live 'on a farm' or 'under a rock', and neither did many of my past or current friends and I dont think any of us could name more than a handful of wrestlers.

I do have a few acquaintances that were big into pro wrestling when they were kids. Many of them still are in fact so there must be some attraction to it. But dont know any MMA fans that ever watched it or are still watching it as adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I watched a good bit of pro wrestling in the early 2000s. I thought Lesnar was a beast and was interested in seeing how he'd get on in a real fight so watched him in the ufc. I had gotten bored of wwe at that stage but his name was enough to get me interested once it wasn't scripted.

I've never seen CM Punk but would've heard of him, I'll watch his first fight out of curiosity, I don't really care if he wins loses. If he's worked hard enough to get a win then fair play to him.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I watched a good bit of pro wrestling in the early 2000s. I thought Lesnar was a beast and was interested in seeing how he'd get on in a real fight so watched him in the ufc. I had gotten bored of wwe at that stage but his name was enough to get me interested once it wasn't scripted.

I've never seen CM Punk but would've heard of him, I'll watch his first fight out of curiosity, I don't really care if he wins loses. If he's worked hard enough to get a win then fair play to him.

That's about it in a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

WWE is for children or Peter Pan types. There is zero connection to MMA. It's laughable to even connect the two.

Only reason I would watch CM Punks debut (who I never heard of until mentioned in MMA news) is if he happens to be fighting on a card I want to watch.

Otherwise, I couldn't care less who beats him.

Advertisement