Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Valentina wrote: »
    I highly recommend Seche Vite. You can get it in Boots. It goes on like gel, is super glossy, dries really quickly and I would get about six days out of a mani before chips appear. I have recommended it to all my friends and they love it too. It makes any ordinary nail polish look like gels.

I tried Sally Hansen Insta Dri before but didn't think it was as good as SV. It's worth the extra few euro I think.

I've gotten Seche Vite from a supplier in the US at a very reasonable price. They also do OPI, Essie and other brands. I tend to buy 4 or 5 at most bottles mixed at a time so as not to incur import duty and the seller puts low value on.Had a couple deliveries so far and no problems. The seller was recommended on a blog I was on and used by a few bloggers.

I'm not sure if we can put links on to ebay shops so if anyone wants to know where to get them please pm me - admin I hope this is ok,if not then delete x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

donna35 wrote: »
    I've gotten Seche Vite from a supplier in the US at a very reasonable price. They also do OPI, Essie and other brands. I tend to buy 4 or 5 at most bottles mixed at a time so as not to incur import duty and the seller puts low value on.Had a couple deliveries so far and no problems. The seller was recommended on a blog I was on and used by a few bloggers.

I'm not sure if we can put links on to ebay shops so if anyone wants to know where to get them please pm me - admin I hope this is ok,if not then delete x

Can you PM me the name of the seller please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Stheno wrote: »
    I had shellac done on Friday and over the weekend it chipped, and this morning on two of the nails it peeled off entirely.

Has never happened before I was hopping mad!

Shouldnt happen S, but I noticed you said the colour was much darker on the tips so I'm wondering if your nails were weak? If the nails had chipped and water got underneath it, that would explain the peeling. Either way, Id recommend you go back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shouldnt happen S, but I noticed you said the colour was much darker on the tips so I'm wondering if your nails were weak? If the nails had chipped and water got underneath it, that would explain the peeling. Either way, Id recommend you go back

I think that colour thing was my imagining things tbgh next day it looked fine.

I usually get told my nails are strong and in good shape when I get them done, I'd shellac on for two weeks prior to last week and they didn't chip or peel, whereas yesterday I was literally able to lift the shellac at the side from every single nail and it peeled right off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hmmph so I went to get my nails redone, and while they seem fine now (it was a different salon, couldn't bear the thoughts of complaining) I now have lovely polished nails with pimples on three out of ten.

By pimples I mean small raised areas on the shellac.

Is this also poor manicurist skills?

• Advertisement

Can you remember step by step how they prepped your nail

Can you remember step by step how they prepped your nail

Yep, I previously went to this place, loved them for three shellacs, then got two in a row with the pimples, went back tonight rather than complain to the other one where it slid off.
    So I'd peeled off yesterdays shellac so just had on Rimmel Nail Nurse.

First they did a tiny bit with the hoof thing, then removed the nail nurse with regular remover.

Then they did a bit of shaping, more varnish remover, then buffed each nail so that they were dry, then removed the tissue that covered the towel my hands were resting on.

Then base, cure, repeat with second hand, first coat, same as with base, second coat, same as with base, topcoat, which I thought was very sloppily applied cure and finish with cuticle oil.

Weirdly, the three nails with the most noticeable pimples are the first three that got any polish on them of all the coats, first for base two coats of color and then top coat. There are another three which are not perfect, which I'm afraid I expect, no marrs/marks/pimples a couple of hours after I have a manicure and spend a pleasant evening having dinner.

I've had perfect shellac 6/10 times I've had it and that's all I want. Am I just being demanding, or is it a case of insisting on a tech I have faith in? Of the perfect six five were done by one tech (manicurist) and another by one. What really got me down this evening is that the place I was in is not my regular nail bar, but a beauty salon where I have always felt comfortable, and loved until the two previous pimple experiences and one tech whom I quite frankly thought was a horror and involved in both pimple experiences, and I really loved the lady tonight, there is a very expensive facial treatment they do that I'm interested in and she spoke to me at length about it in a very person to person way and I actually felt very comfortable at the thoughts of talking to her and spending what to me is a lot of money on my face, then I got home and saw my nails.

I guess the crux of the matter is that careerwise I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and pedantic about my appearance to the point that I check my trouser cuffs reach the heel of my shoe and that there is nothing about me appearance wise to dent my confidence, and expect that when paying for a beauty treatment expect the result to give me the same feeling, but am prone to pick flaws. The last time I got the pimples in this salon they asked me to come back next day to get them done, but I was too busy :(

So in terms of nails, do I stick with manicurists I trust and is it ok to insist on having them do the treatment?

I know that tomorrow night I'm gonna spend an hour or so taking off that shellac I got today as I hate the pimples so much.

I do realise I sound like a person with OCD, but on the flip side if I can book with the lady who did a perfect job five times with my nails with this salon and only her, for my nails that's fine with me.

Then I'll want the lady tonight who did my nails but was so reassuring about my face to do my face lol :P I guess I just feel its insulting to insist on one person for x and one for y?

I should add I'm in my forties, and with little effort used get carded to my mid thirties, ate my nails until five months ago and have no exposure to this world of beauty therapy :) And I'm difficult, to paraphrase Sally for those who recognise the term :D

Without seeing them it's hard to say but sounds like the one with the bubbles may have been applied too thick. The prep sounds like it was done properly, so it may be down to technique.

I manage a salon and to be honest, I'd expect all my clients to leave 100% happy, ocd or not. When you're paying for a treatment, you should be getting a good service. If you find a manicurist that you like and that does a good job, stick with them.

I also wouldn't be shy in calling the salon back and telling them you want them fixed. I don't think there's any room in a beauty salon for a therapist doing a half arsed job.

Without seeing them it's hard to say but sounds like the one with the bubbles may have been applied too thick. The prep sounds like it was done properly, so it may be down to technique.

I manage a salon and to be honest, I'd expect all my clients to leave 100% happy, ocd or not. When you're paying for a treatment, you should be getting a good service. If you find a manicurist that you like and that does a good job, stick with them.

I also wouldn't be shy in calling the salon back and telling them you want them fixed. I don't think there's any room in a beauty salon for a therapist doing a half arsed job.

Her technique compare to others was sloppy, instead of leaving the polish close to the cuticles, all the nails look like I've week old shellac and a week of growth compared to ALL other ones I've had.

The service tbh was lovely the result was not, so I'd like to go back in and have them let me book manicures with the one lady I loved and the facials with the lady my age who did the poorish job on my nails today.

Is it unusual to have a preference for different people?

Sorry for derailing the thread, I'm just new to this and I don't want to go back and complain and feel uncomfortable as the stuff I'd be going back for is a few hundreds worth of euros tbh

Nope. I have a lady who massages me. A lady who does my eyebrows, and a lady who does my waxing. I wouldn't let my eyebrow lady do my massage, or my massage lady do my waxing. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I personally HATE doing manicures so I never take manicures, but Id be booked out with eyebrows facials or massage. Whoever you're comfortable with, stick to them

• Advertisement

Nope. I have a lady who massages me. A lady who does my eyebrows, and a lady who does my waxing. I wouldn't let my eyebrow lady do my massage, or my massage lady do my waxing. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I personally HATE doing manicures so I never take manicures, but Id be booked out with eyebrows facials or massage. Whoever you're comfortable with, stick to them

Thanks :) That's' very reassuring I thought I was a bit weird

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Hey all,

I tried seche vite and I HATED it. It absolutely stinks toxic and just peeled off. Not a happy bunny. It has such a chemical smell it cannot be good for my nails. Thumbs down im afraid. Sally Hansen instra dry much better but goes gloopy very quickly.

I'm back on to shellacs for a while, found a great girl and like the way she does them so I'm hooked again. I find the two weeks long though for the same colour. Its day 11 and ive started to... pick at the edge just so I HAVE to go get them done again. Who am I fooling? lol.

Anyone know where you can buy vinalux polish? I wouldn't mind buying a bottle myself to see how long it lasts.

Satsuma

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Hey all,

I tried seche vite and I HATED it. It absolutely stinks toxic and just peeled off. Not a happy bunny. It has such a chemical smell it cannot be good for my nails. Thumbs down im afraid. Sally Hansen instra dry much better but goes gloopy very quickly.

I'm back on to shellacs for a while, found a great girl and like the way she does them so I'm hooked again. I find the two weeks long though for the same colour. Its day 11 and ive started to... pick at the edge just so I HAVE to go get them done again. Who am I fooling? lol.

Anyone know where you can buy vinalux polish? I wouldn't mind buying a bottle myself to see how long it lasts.

Satsuma

I've read a bit about the bad smell from SV but haven't used it myself - will stay away from it!

I could never stick looking at the same nails for that long, doing my own nails every couple of days suits me down to the ground. Plus I find it really, really relaxing.

Paddys days nails

sx2dkp.jpg

Got these two Barry M Gelly polishes today. Can't wait to try them. :)

Sugar Apple
    barrym_sugarapple3.jpg

Almond
    barrym_gelly_almond2.jpg

Girls,

I got a shellac French on Saturday. Today is Wednesday and its chipping/peeling on four nails at the sides. There's also quite a lot of bubbles on the white tip.

Do you think it would be ok to go back and ask them to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

Got these two Barry M Gelly polishes today. Can't wait to try them. :)

I love my Barry M Gelly Polishes, but I find they need quite a few thin coats and a good top coat to look good for longer than a day.

Girls,

I got a shellac French on Saturday. Today is Wednesday and its chipping/peeling on four nails at the sides. There's also quite a lot of bubbles on the white tip.

Do you think it would be ok to go back and ask them to fix it?

If it has chipped badly and you havnt been doing anything extreme I would.
    I have had my shellac on for a week and a half and it has only yesterday began to chip a tiny bit on the thumb where I had a badly flaked nail from an acrylic extension ripping off. With four nails chipping and peeling after only three full days, I would go back and ask for them to be fixed.

I love my Barry M Gelly Polishes, but I find they need quite a few thin coats and a good top coat to look good for longer than a day.

These are my first Gelly polishes. I just applied Almond and did two coats, slightly thicker than usual, followed up with my Seche Vite top coat. It looks nice and opaque. I don't know why I buy pastel colours, most of them are streaky messes on me!

More shellac drama, I got a lovely light pink and after washing my hair after the hairdresser the dye seems to have stained my nails!!! DEVO! anything I can do to get it off?

PS anyone know where I can buy vinulux polishes? Or a reliable site? thanks xxx

• Advertisement

More shellac drama, I got a lovely light pink and after washing my hair after the hairdresser the dye seems to have stained my nails!!! DEVO! anything I can do to get it off?

Let them soak in lukewarm water and lemon juice maybe?
    I'm not sure how safe it would be, but last resort could be acetone-free nail varnish remover on a cotton bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Let them soak in lukewarm water and lemon juice maybe?
    I'm not sure how safe it would be, but last resort could be acetone-free nail varnish remover on a cotton bud?

I second the acetone free nail polish remover. It will not damage your shellac. I know because I've done it myself.

wow thanks girls cannot wait to try it tonight!

here is the colour it's lovely but beware stainage people!!!

http://greatnailsdesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/047aadae409b00c228c9143bf1c4d3b3.jpg

wow thanks girls cannot wait to try it tonight!

here is the colour it's lovely but beware stainage people!!!

Love love LOVE the powder pink! :) Hope you got the staining off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I have this on today! Essie- Merino Cool.

CFYObQu.jpg

New shellac in Tutti Frutti :)

Got this today so had to try it! Not sure how I feel about it to be honest.

6CLYWNV.jpg

^^^

I really like that, what is it?

^^^

I really like that, what is it?

Bought it here, I'll be ordering a lot more. I really like their stuff. Plus it's free delivery.
    http://www.shellacnails.eu/products-page/pink_shellac_nails/cake-pop/

• Advertisement

My nails for my nephews christening tomorrow. Love this topcoat :)

Advertisement