Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yes it is, it's a reward for those that wish to buy the Amiibo. And personally, I'm delighted at the thought of getting an extra area, or something extra to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well not really, since the argument would be, either that content wouldn't exist if not for the amiibo, or be DLC. Doesn't bother me, doesn't affect the core game, since chances are it'll just be like a challenge dungeon full of enemies or a bunch of chests.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Twilight Princess already has the Cave of Ordeals. Funny how Wind Waker HD couldn't get a new dungeon, a game that actually needed more and had originally on the Gamecube been planned to include 2 more. Yet Twilight Princess, if there's one thing it's not short of, it's dungeons. It has more than any other Zelda game. Had SCamiibo been around at the time of WW HD, Nintendo might have conveniently changed their mind on the matter. We used to get bonuses in older games for free but now they're hidden behind SCamiibo and told they wouldn't otherwise exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember in Link to the Past on GBA, the was an extra dungeon that could only be accessed by completing Four Swords. So I never got access to that dungeon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

sligeach wrote: »
    Twilight Princess already has the Cave of Ordeals. Funny how Wind Waker HD couldn't get a new dungeon, a game that actually needed more and had originally on the Gamecube been planned to include 2 more. Yet Twilight Princess, if there's one thing it's not short of, it's dungeons. It has more than any other Zelda game. Had SCamiibo been around at the time of WW HD, Nintendo might have conveniently changed their mind on the matter. We used to get bonuses in older games for free but now they're hidden behind SCamiibo and told they wouldn't otherwise exist.

What bonuses did we used to get for free before that would equate to an extra dungeon in a Zelda console game?

It's DLC that you can optionally choose to get if you want, along with getting a pretty nice figure. The way Zelda's dungeons are made in a full game I would never expect to get a whole one for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I remember back in the day there was an extra dungeon added to the DX (Colour) version of Link's Awakening, granted it was in released in the years pre-DLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And, it's not core to the game, it's an added extra for those who buy the relevant Amiibo.
    So, if you buy Twilight Princess HD you are getting what you pay for.
    You want the extra, pay for the extra

Normally I'd agree, it's just like DLC - pay for it you get it etc. However, this is a port of a decade old game, at full price to boot. It should be treated at least, like a GOTY that comes bundled with any & all dlc for it. I wasn't sold on Amiibo's before, & this is exactly why...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Yeah, I don't have much problem with them walling bonus content behind amiibo. Especially when the core game is 40 hours anyway. People get mad when the amiibo do too little and then they get mad if they do too much. Can't really win. But with the way amiibo are selling for Nintendo, it's not going to change anytime soon.

Corholio wrote: »
    What bonuses did we used to get for free before that would equate to an extra dungeon in a Zelda console game?

It's DLC that you can optionally choose to get if you want, along with getting a pretty nice figure. The way Zelda's dungeons are made in a full game I would never expect to get a whole one for free.

Loads of games have extras and bonuses upon completion. Take Metroid: Other M as an example which I was discussing elsewhere today, I won't spoil it but there's a brilliant extra fight against a boss from Super Metroid after you complete the game.

I don't consider Cave of Ordeals a dungeon, it recycles the games assets and battles. We don't know yet what Cave of Twilight is but I'm hoping for better than that.

I've said before I despise amiibo and I think Nintendo will end up in a toxic position with them eventually, similar to how the Wii brand is viewed.

Loads of games have extras and bonuses upon completion. Take Metroid: Other M as an example which I was discussing elsewhere today, I won't spoil it but there's a brilliant extra fight against a boss from Super Metroid after you complete the game.

I don't consider Cave of Ordeals a dungeon, it recycles the games assets and battles. We don't know yet what Cave of Twilight is but I'm hoping for better than that.

I've said before I despise amiibo and I think Nintendo will end up in a toxic position with them eventually, similar to how the Wii brand is viewed.

Nobody said anything about a bonus after completion? It's just an extra dungeon, which we don't know much about, unlocked via the amiibo. People buy the amiibo for different reasons, anyone buying it for the aesthetic reason will have a nice bonus, I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless of course you don't like amiibo period, which we all certainly know you don't, and that's another matter entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a really crappy business model, disappointed to see Nintendo stoop to this kind of carry on.

"Want more of this classic game you've already bought on two consoles? Buy our plastic tat!"

There's another thing that nobody's picked up on. The only amiibo I own is the green Yarn Yoshi that came with the bundle, he's sitting in his box sealed. To get this dungeon in TP I've to unnecessarily open the amiibo and scan it to unlock content that's already on the disc. Needless hassle and cumbersomeness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There's another thing that nobody's picked up on. The only amiibo I own is the green Yarn Yoshi that came with the bundle, he's sitting in his box sealed. To get this dungeon in TP I've to unnecessarily open the amiibo and scan it to unlock content that's already on the disc. Needless hassle and cumbersomeness.

In fairness that's clutching at straws, opening something we bought in order to use it is hardly a revelation.

It just annoys me more so because it's an old game:

The Master Chief Collection - Four full games for the price of one, two of them complete HD remasters.
    The Nathan Drake Collection - Three complete games for the price of one. All three are HD remasters.
    Twilight Princess HD - One HD remastered game, full price, DLC on disc.

I dunno, maybe I'm just having a bad day :o it just seems like Ninty are still on another planet compared to Sony & MS.

I don't want to open the amiibo. There's no reason whatsoever why the dungeon couldn't be unlocked without it. It's a forced roadblock. Nintendo will continue to do it as long as they can get away with it. And if it sells well they may go even further with future games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Buy it twice and get over it.

Ah, no, that's mean. Sorry.

I bought the Link amiibo ages ago. It's still in it's box. I love Nintendo, but little toy yokeys don't do anything for me.

Does the old Link one do anything good anywhere (apart from Smash, don't care about Smash)?

*accepts ban*

Nintendo will continue to do it as long as they can get away with it.

I know, right, a company continuing with a strategy that is working for them. It's almost like companies try to make money, while providing things that many people obviously like. And doing what people have been asking for by offering more with the Amiibo.

Those crafty bastards.

Nobodies picked up on it because it's a silly argument. Whatever about the content it unlocks or doesn't unlock, everyone has their views on that but complaining that you have to open a product that is made to be opened, unless it's for collector reasons which in any case you'd never be opening it anyway, is a little ridiculous in fairness.

Star Lord wrote: »
    I know, right, a company continuing with a strategy that is working for them. It's almost like companies try to make money, while providing things that many people obviously like. And doing what people have been asking for by offering more with the Amiibo.

Those crafty bastards.

Have you read around the net? This hasn't gone down well at all. The Wii was hugely popular but in the long run I think it's done more harm than good.

Nobodies picked up on it because it's a silly argument. Whatever about the content it unlocks or doesn't unlock, everyone has their views on that but complaining that you have to open a product that is made to be opened, unless it's for collector reasons which in any case you'd never be opening it anyway, is a little ridiculous in fairness.

It's not a silly argument. I've plenty of things from Collectors Editions, be it books, posters, Classic controller Pro's, gold Zelda Wii remotes, etc, all sitting in their boxes new. The thing is having those sitting there sealed never took away from the game's experience. Not opening the Wolf Link amiibo however, will make a difference. Depending on what it does, I may just watch a Youtube video but then the save data is supposed to affect Zelda U in some way. It's so unnecessary, any save data can be achieved without using an amiibo.

It's not a silly argument. I've plenty of things from Collectors Editions, be it books, posters, Classic controller Pro's, gold Zelda Wii remotes, etc, all sitting in their boxes new. The thing is having those sitting there sealed never took away from the game's experience. Not opening the Wolf Link amiibo however, will make a difference. Depending on what it does, I may just watch a Youtube video but then the save data is supposed to affect Zelda U in some way. It's so unnecessary, any save data can be achieved without using an amiibo.

I don't know what you are comparing, are the things you have still sealed? If so then what do they put towards any experience? If they aren't sealed then it's not comparing it like for like with collectors of amiibo. If people have been collecting sealed amiibo then they know they will never open them, the idea of them being used for data has been there from the start and even though it's been underused it's been known. In a way it's much better this way than digital DLC, in which a whole dungeon would never have been given away for free anyway, as the figure itself is able to be sold on again if someone chooses to do so.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Buy it twice and get over it. Ah, no, that's mean. Sorry. I bought the Link amiibo ages ago. It's still in it's box. I love Nintendo, but little toy yokeys don't do anything for me. Does the old Link one do anything good anywhere (apart from Smash, don't care about Smash)? *accepts ban*

He unlocks the Spin Top in Hyrule Warriors. The only means of getting that item is by buying that amiibo. I don't want any and I certainly don't want that poorly designed one, he's looking at the ground and being supported by a column of urine.

One thing Nintendo could do to help a little is not have the foil on the bottom of the Wolf Link amiibo in the box. These boxes won't be out on display on shelves, plus if they really wanted, they could put a foil layer at the bottom of the outer packaging box.

I don't know what you are comparing, are the things you have still sealed? If so then what do they put towards any experience? If they aren't sealed then it's not comparing it like for like with collectors of amiibo. If people have been collecting sealed amiibo then they know they will never open them, the idea of them being used for data has been there from the start and even though it's been underused it's been known. In a way it's much better this way than digital DLC, in which a whole dungeon would never have been given away for free anyway, as the figure itself is able to be sold on again if someone chooses to do so.

I'm saying having unopened artbooks, Wii remotes, etc in these Collector Editions isn't taking anything away from enjoying playing the game that they were a part of. Keeping the Wolf Link amiibo sealed, if the rumours are true will take away from the full games experience. And it won't just be TP, it'll carry over into Zelda U. I also don't see the point or enjoyment of scanning a piece of plastic on a gamepad. Maybe if I was 6 years old I'd feel differently but I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I also don't see the point or enjoyment of scanning a piece of plastic on a gamepad. Maybe if I was 6 years old I'd feel differently but I don't.

That is a completely unnecessary and mean statement. Just because you don't like Amiibo doesn't make those who do childish or immature. Someone could level the same argument at games in general "I don't understand why someone would play a game about a fairy child saving a princess, maybe if I was 6 years old..." But that would be wrong, and you implying anyone older than 6 is too old for Amiibo is equally ridiculous.

Simply put, if you don't want Amiibo, don't buy them. If you want amiibo, and whatever extra features that come with them, then buy them.

Maybe if I was 6 years old I'd feel differently but I don't.

Mod warning: Don't get insulting again. We can carry on conversations with differing viewpoints without stooping to this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

To use product you must open product. It's not a revelation.

Amiibo's were not built to be kept in a box, hence why they have a chip on their arse. It's hardly Nintendo's problem that people decide to do so.

And all we are getting is an extra dungeon, so what? It's not a branching story with an alternative ending and they are not chopping the story either.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    That is a completely unnecessary and mean statement. Just because you don't like Amiibo doesn't make those who do childish or immature. Someone could level the same argument at games in general "I don't understand why someone would play a game about a fairy child saving a princess, maybe if I was 6 years old..." But that would be wrong, and you implying anyone older than 6 is too old for Amiibo is equally ridiculous.

Simply put, if you don't want Amiibo, don't buy them. If you want amiibo, and whatever extra features that come with them, then buy them.

I expressed my opinion. I said if "I" was 6 six years old. I was remembering back to when I was a child and liked action figures, I lost interest in them I'd say no later than 10 or 11 years of age. I wasn't insulting any member. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what I said and I'll challenge anybody that says so. Nintendo's primary audience is kids, it always has been. Just look at their ads. Where's the Bayonetta amiibo, Project Zero amiibo, Xenoblade Chronicles X amiibo? Different audience. All their other games have amiibo tied in in some way.

I'm buying the TP Collector Edition. That doesn't mean I can't disagree with what Nintendo are doing. And it's not, "Simply put, if you don't want Amiibo, don't buy them. If you want amiibo, and whatever extra features that come with them, then buy them."

There are people who want the dungeon but resent having it locked behind an amiibo on disc on day 1. Where's the option for people who buy the game digitally or buy the game only and don't want amiibo? Nintendo said amiibo would never impinge significantly on the game experience(Splatoon and Mario Party 10 are other debatable titles), I'd say a dungeon says otherwise. And it carries over to Zelda U. Companies like EA and Capcom have got ripped for doing this sort of practise but suddenly it's alright when Nintendo are doing it?

Edit: And Bayonetta will now get an amiibo but that's because of Smash Bros.

I expressed my opinion. I said if "I" was 6 six years old. I was remembering back to when I was a child and liked action figures, I lost interest in them I'd say no later than 10 or 11 years of age. I wasn't insulting any member. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what I said and I'll challenge anybody that says so. Nintendo's primary audience is kids, it always has been. Just look at their ads. Where's the Bayonetta amiibo, Project Zero amiibo, Xenoblade Chronicles X amiibo? Different audience. All their other games have amiibo tied in in some way.

I'm buying the TP Collector Edition. That doesn't mean I can't disagree with what Nintendo are doing. And it's not, "Simply put, if you don't want Amiibo, don't buy them. If you want amiibo, and whatever extra features that come with them, then buy them."

There are people who want the dungeon but resent having it locked behind an amiibo on disc on day 1. Where's the option for people who buy the game digitally or buy the game only and don't want amiibo? Nintendo said amiibo would never impinge significantly on the game experience(Splatoon and Mario Party 10 are other debatable titles), I'd say a dungeon says otherwise. And it carries over to Zelda U. Companies like EA and Capcom have got ripped for doing this sort of practise but suddenly it's alright when Nintendo are doing it?

Edit: And Bayonetta will now get an amiibo but that's because of Smash Bros.

In fairness you were clearly implying people who used amiibo should be 6 years of age, but anyway that's already been dealt with.

The whole dungeon linked to the amiibo has only been vaguely leaked at this stage, we know almost nothing else about that so it's early even for you to be blaming Nintendo for something that hasn't even been announced or given detail to. It also doesn't impinge significantly on the game experience, if you buy Twilight Princess you're getting Twilight Princess. I'd certainly be criticising Nintendo if they were doing this consistently with games that were being made with the game and paid DLC separated before release but that's not the situation here.

In fairness you were clearly implying people who used amiibo should be 6 years of age, but anyway that's already been dealt with.

Please don't say I was implying something when I wasn't.
    "Maybe if I was 6 years old I'd feel differently but I don't."
    Can I be any more clear that I'm talking about myself, not anybody else?

Warning: Lads, drop the subject please. Sligeach if you can't see how you were being insulting and belittling, and continue in that vein, then there will be issues.

And a reminder that arguing mod decisions/warnings on thread is not allowed. If you feel the need to argue this further, then PM me.

• Advertisement

The digital version has gone up on Amazon for $50 and it has not gone down well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AOFMNZU/ref=as_li_tl

It makes the physical version with amiibo and soundtrack look like a bargain.

That price I suppose was to be expected.

Advertisement