Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

katie21 wrote: »
    Just seen on Instagram that this whole jar of organic ketchup from Lidl is only 10 Syns.
    Can anyone confirm this or know where I would find out?

I don't know if it's just me but I haven't been finding the syn calculator too good!

Sounds legit as it's 70% tomato puree (which is 'free'). Just read a review of it which says it doesn't really taste tomatoey or ketchuppy (these are both words, I assure you) but worth a try I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

dee_mc wrote: »
    Sounds legit as it's 70% tomato puree (which is 'free'). Just read a review of it which says it doesn't really taste tomatoey or ketchuppy (these are both words, I assure you) but worth a try I suppose...

Haha Claude! I think I might give it a try anyway, nothing to lose at less than 2 euro.
    I'll let you know what I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Hi All, just spotted this thread. Signed up with Wendy in Cashel a month ago. Have lost 19lb in the first four weeks, 9lb alone in week one. Find it fantastic, haven't felt anyway hungry since joining, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Hi all,

some of you might remember me stressing about a job interview and being super conscious about my weight. Well, it turns out I needn't have worried. I got the job and I am absolutely thrilled! This is going to be my year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I need some help.

My food diary is something like this

Before I leave for work - An apple
    Breakfast (in work) - melon, Apple, orange, strawberry raspberry and a 0% fat Greek style yogurt on top
    Lunch - spinach, rocket, boiled chicken, tomato, cherry tomato, maybe slice of cheese. An apple afterwards
    Home - healthy A and B (wholemeal bread, slice of cheese and slice of ham)
    Dinner - slimming world syn free bolignaise with peas broccoli and cauliflower

What can I improve

• Advertisement

Hi all,

some of you might remember me stressing about a job interview and being super conscious about my weight. Well, it turns out I needn't have worried. I got the job and I am absolutely thrilled! This is going to be my year :)

I take full responsibility for you getting that job, I was sending you positive vibes every day since!
    Seriously though, congratulations to you, I hope your confidence is sky-high now and that it will remain so :)

I need some help.

Breakfast (in work) - melon, Apple, orange, strawberry raspberry and a 0% fat Greek style yogurt on top
    Lunch - spinach, rocket, boiled chicken, tomato, cherry tomato, maybe slice of cheese. An apple afterwards

What can I improve

Firstly, are you feeling good? Because on paper it looks fine and if you're full and happy and not suffering energy lags at any point during the day, then there's no need to change!
    I'd be a bit concerned at the fact you're getting no starchy carbs until the snack after getting home for work - could you add some pasta to your lunchtime salad, or use your healthy B at breakfast time, for example 40g All Bran with your fruit and yogurt? Just to ensure you have enough energy and are satisfied enough not to want to snack on bold things or whatever!
    Is the 'maybe slice of cheese' your only syns for the day? You could afford to add a few more if that's the case - don't be afraid of using them! I know I've said it before (probably ad nauseum) but the weeks I restricted my syns, my weight loss suffered, and others have found the same.

I think I'm allowed two slices of low low cheese as the healthy extra a. I'm not good at my syns as if I have chocolate, it only gives me a taste for it. If I don't have "naughty" stuff, I tend not to think about it. I might add coleslaw in with lunch as my syns. Usually have loads of energy but got very light headed tonight - don't know if it's related or not

I think I'm allowed two slices of low low cheese as the healthy extra a. I'm not good at my syns as if I have chocolate, it only gives me a taste for it. If I don't have "naughty" stuff, I tend not to think about it. I might add coleslaw in with lunch as my syns. Usually have loads of energy but got very light headed tonight - don't know if it's related or not

It would be related, yeah. You need to try to keep your blood sugar constant throughout the day, so if you can have similar sized servings of starchy carbs at breakfast, lunch and dinner it helps alot.
    The coleslaw is a good idea.
    I'm a big fan of the greek yogurt you mentioned earlier too, Liberte and Fage have both been on offer in Dunnes and Tesco lately but I think they're back to full price again :(
    Ha, maybe we should have a Slimming World bargain alerts thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jeff1985

Hey all ! just thought I would touch base seems like you are all having a fantastic week fair play. I have had up and downs and it has been a roller coaster adjusting but am going to get there. I have my first weigh in tomorrow so am really nervous hope the scales are good to me ! I have one quick question what do you eat when you head out for dinner what do you find fills you best etc without all them hidden calories? I am going out for dinner tonight and want to have an idea clear in my head what to eat !
    Also what do you drink? Do you have specific drinks or brands that you find better on a night out I don't want to slip up after trying so hard !
    Jeff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I need some help.

What can I improve
    what do you drink as in water or tea etc and how much?

whelan2 wrote: »
    what do you drink as in water or tea etc and how much?

Just drink water, about 1.5 litres per day - trying to work on getting that up. No tea or coffee but yesterday I had a bottle of coke zero as I felt really dizzy

Jeff1985 wrote: »
    Hey all ! just thought I would touch base seems like you are all having a fantastic week fair play. I have had up and downs and it has been a roller coaster adjusting but am going to get there. I have my first weigh in tomorrow so am really nervous hope the scales are good to me ! I have one quick question what do you eat when you head out for dinner what do you find fills you best etc without all them hidden calories? I am going out for dinner tonight and want to have an idea clear in my head what to eat !
    Also what do you drink? Do you have specific drinks or brands that you find better on a night out I don't want to slip up after trying so hard !
    Jeff

What sort of restaurant are you going to? There's a good guide to syn values of takeaways etc in the book. I'd probably get a grilled chicken salad with the dressing, olives, nuts etc on the side, or order a steak and ask them to trim the visible fat off, they get all sorts of mental requests every day (oh how I miss my waitressing days :D ) so don't be afraid to ask for exactly what you want!
    Drinkswise it's hard to advise, but again take a look in the book for syn values and make sure if you order spirits that you get a diet mixer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Jeff

Spirit and diet mixer would be the lowest syns. Rum and diet coke or Captain Morgan and diet coke/orange (if they have diet) would be my favourite. Rum is 3.5syns. Other spirits are 4syns and a few are a bit more, check the index in the back of your book.

Food, stick to sauces on the side, lean meat, boiled potatoes or boiled rice, ask them not to put butter on the veg or very little or like dee said, salad :)

If whoever you having dinner with is agreeable, ask them to take away the bread basket as soon as you sit down!

Monife wrote: »
    Spirit and diet mixer would be the lowest syns. Rum and diet coke or Captain Morgan and diet coke/orange (if they have diet) would be my favourite. Rum is 3.5syns. Other spirits are 4syns and a few are a bit more, check the index in the back of your book.

Food, stick to sauces on the side, lean meat, boiled potatoes or boiled rice, ask them not to put butter on the veg or very little or like dee said, salad :)

If whoever you having dinner with is agreeable, ask them to take away the bread basket as soon as you sit down!
    ...and if they're particularly agreeable, rob a few of their chips ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I have one quick question what do you eat when you head out for dinner what do you find fills you best etc without all them hidden calories? I am going out for dinner tonight and want to have an idea clear in my head what to eat !

Steak is usually good. Grilled is better. Ask for a side salad instead of chips

If you're going Italian be careful about pasta as fresh pasta is synned (unlike the store bought dried pasta). I got a caesar salad with chicken last time in Italian. Dressing was synned but better than the rest (I asked for only a little parmesan).
    Jeff

Heineken or other lagers/pale ales if they're available. It's about 12 syns a pint but tbh, I wouldn't enjoy anything else so I don't worry about it. I don't drink loads though

There's a good guide to eating out on the website

http://group.slimmingworld.com/features/eating%20out-features.aspx

(I should point out I generally don't fret about eating out too much. I see this as a long term thing so I need to be able to eat out every know and then without worring about a pound here or there. I go with the mantra of "if I'm doing the right things generally, I'll be good in the end"

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jeff1985

That's great advice thanks guys ! Am going to a European restaurant so a steak and Salad will be the way to go ! I am nervous enough about drinking but one step at a time !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

After what feels like months, I just finished the last of my tub of butter. I've been using Flora Light butter in the blue tub no joking I've had it for months. I absolutely hate it and barely put a scrape on bread. So my question is what butter do you guys use?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Wellyd wrote: »
    After what feels like months, I just finished the last of my tub of butter. I've been using Flora Light butter in the blue tub no joking I've had it for months. I absolutely hate it and barely put a scrape on bread. So my question is what butter do you guys use?

Could you not just use butter and Syn it?

I don't eat butter at all so i don't have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

We use Aldi spreadable butter. Its not that i've cut back on my use of butter its that we use less bread in the house so that's why our butter lasts longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Guys, I was just wondering if any of you know when I am supposed to inform my consultant of a pregnancy? I've had some people tell me not until 12 weeks but others say straight away with GP's permission.

Also, if I achieve target while pregnant (very achievable for me in the next 8 weeks or so) and then start to put on weight from the pregnancy (which I'll obviously do), can they start to charge me again? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Hi ShaShaBear- congratulations on your pregnancy! I've not had first hand experience here, but from my understanding of it, you need to tell your consultant straight away and need permission from your GP to remain at SW.. your plan changes slightly (think you can have 2 x HE a day on EE)..

Slimming World's Pregnancy Policy is available online, and they have a whole site dedicated to expecting mums too! There is also some information in their FAQ, such as the following..

I’m pregnant and if I continue to attend my group will I have to pay?

Congratulations on your wonderful news.

If you are a target member, you won’t pay any fees for the duration of your pregnancy. When you return to group after the birth of your baby, following your six week post-natal check up, if you are still within your target range, you won’t need to pay.

If you aren’t yet at target, you’ll continue to pay as normal. If you decide at any point not to continue coming to group during your pregnancy, you can stop attending, and won’t be charged any back fees provided you return to group no sooner than six, and no later than ten weeks after the birth of your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Doh!! I forgot my book - do I need it for class?? Have my card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

tk123 wrote: »

I'd imagine you'll be ok! You can just fill in the weight loss yourself when you get home!

Wellyd wrote: »
    I'd imagine you'll be ok! You can just fill in the weight loss yourself when you get home!

The laziness -I nomally go straight from work and don't want to have to drop home first and walk 5 mins around the corner :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

I forgot mine last week and had my card and it was fine! I wrote in my weight when I got home.

Crap sakes my card is with the book!! Oh well at least the traffic is light so I've time to drop home for it...but I may be a sugar baby if it's still raining and drive back around the corner lol! :p

Crap sakes my card is with the book!! Oh well at least the traffic is light so I've time to drop home for it...but I may be a sugar baby if it's still raining and drive back around the corner lol! :p

You don't need the card, they will give you a temporary one for this week which they will cancel next week, my Mum did it before... at least once...

dee_mc wrote: »
    You don't need the card, they will give you a temporary one for this week which they will cancel next week, my Mum did it before... at least once...

I know but there's always a lecture about how they'll have to start charging for them etc only live around the corner so no big deal getting before class

• Advertisement

I know but there's always a lecture about how they'll have to start charging for them etc only live around the corner so no big deal getting before class

Oh fair enough! Yeah life's too short for that kind of thing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement