Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Netflix and HBO will never do business together sadly for the viewer.
    Is there a reason for this? Or are you assuming that just because they have a deal at the moment with Amazon Prime?

I did the trial for Amazon Prime but didn't keep it. Besides the workaholics and HBO stuff(most of which i've seen) it has about the same stuff as netflix - although in fairness they don't have as much filler crap as netflix

Maybe someday i'll get rid of netflix and go to amazon(which is cheaper). I'm not happy with netflix updates recently. Not many good things have come in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    EyeSight wrote: »
    Is there a reason for this? Or are you assuming that just because they have a deal at the moment with Amazon Prime?

About 3 years ago they fell out over money for rights along with other things it was a big deal when I was living in the States at the time.

If you want to know the story I'm sure you can find it online.

But they will never do business together unless one buys the other out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,681 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

HBO and Netflix won’t do business because they are now competitors. Netflix isn’t too bothered about Amazon or any other streaming/vod service, hence when Netflix launched here their CEO was on all the radio stations telling people that if they wanted new movies they should check out iTunes. The future of cheap film streaming is bleak. The studios want to increase rates and silo everything. Netflix's only hope is to become the streaming version of a cable tv network, producing exclusive binge-watching content to keep subscribers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Speaking of exclusive binge watching content, has anyone here watched Hemlock Grove, and would they recommend it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

From Jerry Seinfeld's AMA on Reddit

[–]PolestarX 2211 points 3 hours ago
    Jerry, any word on Seinfeld coming to Netflix?
    Can you please convince Larry to let it happen? There are so many people who still have not experienced Seinfeld first hand and having it available through Netflix will surely be the easiest way.
    C'monnnnnnnnnnn

[–]_Seinfeld 2880 points 3 hours ago
    You are a very smart and progressive person. These conversations are presently taking place.

I would give my right nut for Seinfeld on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Oak76 wrote: »
    Speaking of exclusive binge watching content, has anyone here watched Hemlock Grove, and would they recommend it?

I got around half way through season 1 and got too weird for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Just watched The Battered Bastards of Baseball about the Portland Mavericks, very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

From Jerry Seinfeld's AMA on Reddit

[–]PolestarX 2211 points 3 hours ago
    Jerry, any word on Seinfeld coming to Netflix?
    Can you please convince Larry to let it happen? There are so many people who still have not experienced Seinfeld first hand and having it available through Netflix will surely be the easiest way.
    C'monnnnnnnnnnn

[–]_Seinfeld 2880 points 3 hours ago
    You are a very smart and progressive person. These conversations are presently taking place.

I would give my right nut for Seinfeld on Netflix.

Best sitcom ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I watched the first episode. Was like twilight with some nudity

Seinfeld on netflix would be amazing!

• Advertisement

Own all the box sets (some of the finest extras out there) but it'd be so great to have it immediately accessible via Netflix instead of having to find whatever season and disc the episode you're looking for is on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm halfway through the second season and I'd say it's worth a look. It's not a million miles away from shows like True Blood, but the writing and acting are (for the core cast, at least) a good bit better than they are in TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

A big thanks to some of you guys on this thread, with out ye I would never have given Orange is the New Black a go. It's totally different from the type of show I presumed it would be. One of the best written, funny and ( possibly) realistic shows I've seen in the last few years.I had wrongly assumed that it was going to be like Sex and the City in Prison or some crap like that....how wrong I was.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,399 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A big thanks to some of you guys on this thread, with out ye I would never have given Orange is the New Black a go. It's totally different from the type of show I presumed it would be. One of the best written, funny and ( possibly) realistic shows I've seen in the last few years.I had wrongly assumed that it was going to be like Sex and the City in Prison or some crap like that....how wrong I was.

Miles better than House of Cards imo. I've three episodes left on season 2 myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Tried to search the thread to see if anyone has watched Les Revenants - it has already aired on Ch4 though. Loved it.
    Also recently binge watched OITNB couldn't get enough of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

yes i have watched it. No, i wouldnt recommend it, even though i watched all the way through both seasons. its poorly written and poorly acted.

better love story than twilight though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Started watching The Shield last night, hooked already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

ShaneU wrote: »
    Started watching The Shield last night, hooked already!

Watch the pilot too ... excellent!!

Back to bare bones though ... SD, 4:3 picture ... ah well! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Tried to search the thread to see if anyone has watched Les Revenants - it has already aired on Ch4 though. Loved it.
    Also recently binge watched OITNB couldn't get enough of it.

Yeah, a good few of us. Link below:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84836102

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

folan wrote: »
    yes i have watched it. No, i wouldnt recommend it, even though i watched all the way through both seasons. its poorly written and poorly acted.

better love story than twilight though

I don't think it's particularly poorly written or acted, especially when measured against the yardstick that is "supernatural romance" (or even just "supernatural stories with a romance angle").

I do think the quality dropped on the second season, particularly with an ending that just sort of trundled to a stop as though they ran out of time or something - but despite that I've found it to be more entertainining and less padded-feeling than similar shows like True Blood. Partly I think this is because I quite enjoy the daft bromance between the two male leads, so I guess if that doesn't work for you it's far more likely to grate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Loving lilyhammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

watched An Unfinished Life (2005) the other day..

i'm not a fan of too emotional movies but this drama is of a good kind.
    some scenes like hit me in the throat, meaning i found them genuinely moving..

loved the cast too, Jennifer Lopez, Robert Redford and Morgan Freeman among others...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm new to netflix but I'm loving the walking dead !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Just watched "Barbara" on Netflix Canada/usa . it's set in early 1980s DDR/GDR. It's a good movie.

Also watched "remembrance"recently. It's about a man and a woman who escape from a Nazi concentration camp. Excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Just watched "Barbara" on Netflix Canada/usa . it's set in early 1980s DDR/GDR. It's a good movie.

Also watched "remembrance"recently. It's about a man and a woman who escape from a Nazi concentration camp. Excellent film.

Watching remembrance now.its great.thanks op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Watched a documentary called Mortified Nation recently... very funny. It's about a show in the US that invites the public to read extracts from their childhood diaries to an audience... absolutely cringe-tastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Frankie Boyle - the age of Sodom is brilliant. Love his humour - the Michael Jackson children hospital is a laugh.

Watched some female American comic too last night think it was something Shannon with the word Irish in the title. Not bad either.

Anyone recommend other good stand up's on it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

europa report is pretty good. Worth the watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Warper wrote: »
    Frankie Boyle - the age of Sodom is brilliant. Love his humour - the Michael Jackson children hospital is a laugh.

Watched some female American comic too last night think it was something Shannon with the word Irish in the title. Not bad either.

Try Louis C.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

If you like Frankie Boyle i think you'd like Steve Hughes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Hola stopped working for anyone else on Chrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

vidor wrote: »
    Hola stopped working for anyone else on Chrome?

Having the same problem the last few months, pages just won't load. Anyone know how to fix it or a working alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

George Carlin (if his stuff is still on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

George Carlin (if his stuff is still on it).

or Doug Stanhope's earlier stuff is very good as well.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,399 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mike Birbiglia is worth a look, this was added recently and it's great: http://www2.netflix.com/WiMovie/70279934

Filth was added to the Irish site in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I stumbled upon Bill Burr on Netflix awhile back. I think he's got 2 or 3 three stand up gigs on Netflix. Loved each and every one of his gigs. Highly recommend checking him out.

Some stuff arriving on Netflix Ireland/UK August.

1st - The Killing (season 4)
    2nd - Betty Blue
    8th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
    14th - Bates Motel (season 1)
    18th - Blue is the Warmest Colour
    22nd - Bojack Horseman (netflix original)
    29th - Dreamgirls

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭CiaranW

2nd - Betty Blue
    29th - Dreamgirls

Looking forward to seeing the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.
    I fell asleep in the cinema after a rough day in work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Netflix really needs to add something that shows you what will be added each month.

CiaranW wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.
    I fell asleep in the cinema after a rough day in work!
    I fell asleep in the cinema and it was a day off and I'd just had a red bull.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

e_e wrote: »
    I fell asleep in the cinema and it was a day off and I'd just had a red bull.

I fell asleep during the first LOTR film and never bothered going back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭CiaranW

I fell asleep during the first LOTR film and never bothered going back for more.

Ah you should, they're brilliant despite the sleeps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Total Recall (Colin Farrell) was added to Canadian netflix yesterday

Seaon 3 of Continuum added to Netflix US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I honestly fell asleep in my only attempts to watch both of the first two LOTR films. Never bothered with the third.

All three are on Netflix in one country or other so I am tempted to give them all another go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Netflix really needs to add something that shows you what will be added each month.

plenty of sites list the upcoming months additions

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/new-netflix-releases-the-films-and-tv-shows-coming-august-2014-9637984.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭flazio

2nd - Betty Blue
    29th - Dreamgirls
    What's your source for this information?

flazio wrote: »
    What's your source for this information?

Netflix on Twitter & Facebook and have a look at the link in the post above your one the newspaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ooh Orphan Black - I have heard things that are good about that!

Kudos to Artifical Eye (distributors of Blue is the Warnesr Colour), they seem to be onboard with the whole Netflix thing even though they run their own on demand service. There'd be few recent foreign films of note on there if it wasn't for their contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Ooh Orphan Black - I have heard things that are good about that!

Kudos to Artifical Eye (distributors of Blue is the Warnesr Colour), they seem to be onboard with the whole Netflix thing even though they run their own on demand service. There'd be few recent foreign films of note on there if it wasn't for their contributions.

Yeah, only watched one season of Orphan Black, it's a fantastic show. The lead actress is class in it (and quite pleasing on the eye too)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement