Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Valve developing steam box console

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    why quibble over the OS?

You must be new to this 'Internet' thing ;)

I'm curious as to the pricing of this, considering that you can build a relatively powerful gaming PC for 400-600 euro then this console will have to retail for considerably less than that in order to tempt most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You must be new to this 'Internet' thing ;)

Ugh, is that how it works? I'll go back to teletext, at least sometimes that had a point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Why does it matter what the hell OS its gonna use? :confused: Its gonna be consolised, work out of the box with steam & just do its thing...why quibble over the OS?
    The OS debate is interesting as it will play a large part in gauging how useful the device is for people. For instance, I personally wouldn't want another closed environment, stripped down PC-like device on which I can only buy games from one source, under my TV. I already have three of those.

On the other hand, give me something like that Alienware machine running Windows and which ships with an innovative controller, all for a non-extortionate price and I'd be all over it.
    by the way, who said if valve not just making some sort of new console, which has nothing to do with Pc part of steeam? maybe it is pure new player in console market and wont have steam libary in it at all.
    As big as Valve are, they don't have the clout, financial or otherwise, to make a proper console.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    The OS debate is interesting as it will play a large part in gauging how useful the device is for people. For instance, I personally wouldn't want another closed environment, stripped down PC-like device on which I can only buy games from one source, under my TV. I already have three of those.

On the other hand, give me something like that Alienware machine running Windows and which ships with an innovative controller, all for a non-extortionate price and I'd be all over it.

As big as Valve are, they don't have the clout, financial or otherwise, to make a proper console.

why not? there was a kick starter for a console. surely valve has a lot more recources then that kickstarter wanted. yes it is smaller in scale console, but it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

why not? there was a kick starter for a console. surely valve has a lot more recources then that kickstarter wanted. yes it is smaller in scale console, but it can be done.

Alternatively, Valve could announce the release of a new game that would (most likely) go on to set new sales records as a way of financing this particular venture.

Furthermore, Half-life 2 was released exclusive to Steam (as in; you had to install Steam to play it) so Valve are used to making people buy into a system to play their games. Announce the 'Steambox', show off the new Source Engine running on it, tell people the price of the 'Steambox' and now you have the audience and reason to buy one.

Well for starters I don't consider Ouya to be a "proper console".

Likewise, I wouldn't consider a HTPC containing off the shelf PC components and running a lightweight Linux distro with a Steam-orientated front end to be a "proper console" either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see how this would appeal to PC gamers. If they're trying to steal away xbox and PS gamers I think they're running out of time, once the majority of people have chosen their platform I don't see them spending more again for a while.

If I want a console experience with multi player I just plug in the other xbox controller.

I don't know.
    Being able to buy a console with Steam sales, cloud based accounts and being able to play with the glorious pc gaming master race?

Not losing your games, when you get a new console, and being able to play your games on the console or the PC (when you do evolve to the master race)

They are some good selling points

Just for the heck of it also
    PC_Gaming_Master_Race_by_Claidheam_Righ.jpg

Obviously a lot of joking around in my post above but the basic points are valid.
    Budget PC gaming with the benefits of the PC style of game transfers and individual game cost

On the other hand, give me something like that Alienware machine running Windows and which ships with an innovative controller, all for a non-extortionate price and I'd be all over it

Didn't Newell already state that whatever form it takes, it will run in a 'highly controlled environment', suggesting it will do what Valve want it to do & nothing else?

Even though you already have a stripped down pc like device under your tv, that doesn't mean another competitor can't offer you something different, while operating in the same grounds as the others do.

• Advertisement

I don't know.
    Being able to buy a console with Steam sales, cloud based accounts and being able to play with the glorious pc gaming master race?
    While the majority of that "master race" is sitting at a desk using a keyboard and mouse? I fear you've not thought this through. :)

As an aside, with the introduction of the 10-foot UI / Big Picture mode, there's something deliciously ironic about continuing to use Yahtzee's master race joke. :pac:

EDIT...
    Didn't Newell already state that whatever form it takes, it will run in a 'highly controlled environment', suggesting it will do what Valve want it to do & nothing else?

Even though you already have a stripped down pc like device under your tv, that doesn't mean another competitor can't offer you something different, while operating in the same grounds as the others do.
    He did indeed, I was actually going to use that quote earlier since it seems to have been dropped from other reports on the story. However he was referring to hardware when he made the comment, not software...
    "Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room."

Now, whether he was referring specifically to the hardware or the device in general, remains to be seen.

As for wanting another competitor, well I was referring to personal preferences above and in that context I'm relatively sure I still wouldn't want such a device as I already have a PC for my PC games with a setup to match it.

While the majority of that "master race" is sitting at a desk using a keyboard and mouse? I fear you've not thought this through. :)

As an aside, with the introduction of the 10-foot UI / Big Picture mode, there's something deliciously ironic about continuing to use Yahtzee's master race joke. :pac:

He did indeed, I was actually going to use that quote earlier since it seems to have been dropped from other reports on the story. However he was referring to hardware when he made the comment, not software...

Now, whether he was referring specifically to the hardware or the device in general, remains to be seen.

As for wanting another competitor, well I was referring to personal preferences above and in that context I'm relatively sure I still wouldn't want such a device as I already have a PC for my PC games with a setup to match it.

I would seriously hope that anything that they bring out will be keyboard/mouse compatible.

I use my PC like a console; connected up to a 60" TV with a wireless keyboard/mouse or XBox 360 controller

I would seriously hope that anything that they bring out will be keyboard/mouse compatible.

I use my PC like a console; connected up to a 60" TV with a wireless keyboard/mouse or XBox 360 controller
    Hmm, out of curiosity, I assume given the size of the TV that you use it from the couch? I take it you don't game with that wireless keyboard and mouse?

This is all reminds me of a rather interesting discussion we had sometime last year about how the PC and console markets were slowly converging. While I think it'll be great to see (to a certain extent) it does leave many questions unanswered, not least from a controller perspective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i've gamed on a couch with a mouse/kb.. it's alright
    for your more fast paced fps or an rts it'a s massive pain in the tits but for everything else it's grand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are so many layers of impenetrable irony going on whenever that pic is quoted that it's gotten to the point it should just be banned outright :(

While I'm not going to pretend for a second that I'm knowledgeable to speculate on what OS said 'Steam box' will use, I definitely will not be surprised when Valve eventually make a very significant Linux push. Going forward, it also seems apparent that Steam will grow increasingly multi-format friendly... I'd be amazed if Source 2 doesn't support the big trio of Windows, OSX and Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why does it matter what the hell OS its gonna use? :confused: Its gonna be consolised, work out of the box with steam & just do its thing...why quibble over the OS?

Because unless its running some fancy emulation or virtual machine it won't play our enormous collection of games of steam games on a linux box :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

what sort of monopoly are you talking about? The only monopoly they got is to sell you a copy of windows, which some people dont upgrade for years.

They still are the only people supplying an operating system to the vast majority of 'PC gamers' on the planet.
    That's not chump change and it's not a market anyone wants to "kill".
    I mean outside the martyrdom theatrics of particularly deluded PC gaming aficionados.
    educated speculation my ass... no offence.

Whatever makes you feel better.

Though whomever told you that sticking "no offence" on the end of sentences negated you being a total tool beforehand really should have their right to teach English revoked.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

No offence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

hooradiation warned, please lay off the insults.

Hmm, out of curiosity, I assume given the size of the TV that you use it from the couch? I take it you don't game with that wireless keyboard and mouse?

This is all reminds me of a rather interesting discussion we had sometime last year about how the PC and console markets were slowly converging. While I think it'll be great to see (to a certain extent) it does leave many questions unanswered, not least from a controller perspective.

If I find that the KB and Mouse is causing a lag I have an extra long cabelled KB. The wireless is working just fine on Witcher and was the same for ME3.
    I also do not play online much and never play FPS so a small lag is not going to bother me too much TBH.

I play my sports and driving games with the controllers

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    hooradiation warned, please lay off the insults.

What insults?

You'll know when I start insulting people, it's not hard to miss.

I love grammar nazi's. :D whatever makes you feel like a man.

That English teacher was me. I learned English on my own with the help of random DVDs with subtitles and video games. It's not great English, but it works for me, and I am very happy the majority of boards.ie know that I am "****" at English, and let it slide for me.

Bambi wrote: »
    Because unless its running some fancy emulation or virtual machine it won't play our enormous collection of games of steam games on a linux box :(

I highly doubt they're gonna release a box that isn't highly compatible with the Steam library in fairness?

If I find that the KB and Mouse is causing a lag I have an extra long cabelled KB. The wireless is working just fine on Witcher and was the same for ME3.
    I also do not play online much and never play FPS so a small lag is not going to bother me too much TBH.

I play my sports and driving games with the controllers
    Oh I didn't mean from a lag perspective, I meant in terms of how you physically use them. Keyboard on knees and mouse sitting on the couch beside you? Said mouse on a mousemat? Or do you have a tray / small desk / coffee table for them?

I too have my pc setup with my 42" tv & use wireless kb/mouse. Its the business for browsing & everyday pc work...but for gaming its terrible. You can't substitute a good quality desk with a couch, it just doesn't work.

What insults?

You'll know when I start insulting people, it's not hard to miss.

You've been warned & banned enough in this forum alone to well know what insults. Personally I think you get away very lightly

Oh I didn't mean from a lag perspective, I meant in terms of how you physically use them. Keyboard on knees and mouse sitting on the couch beside you? Said mouse on a mousemat? Or do you have a tray / small desk / coffee table for them?

Ahh I get ya

I use either the coffee table or a breakfast tray (one of the breakfast in bed types lol)

I too have my pc setup with my 42" tv & use wireless kb/mouse. Its the business for browsing & everyday pc work...but for gaming its terrible. You can't substitute a good quality desk with a couch, it just doesn't work.

as much as i am pc fanboy gamer, i dont have a good setup to play in bed with k/m. i tried sitting and having keyboard on my lap and mouse on the bed. It worked well and i did managed played okayish MW3 on it. it would be a lot better, i guess if not some interference with wireless mouse.

did not lasted long though. i imagine if you could get some sort of recliner chair and some tray it would work perfect.

I love grammar nazi's. :D whatever makes you feel like a man.

That English teacher was me. I learned English on my own with the help of random DVDs with subtitles and video games. It's not great English, but it works for me, and I am very happy the majority of boards.ie know that I am "****" at English, and let it slide for me.

Then consider this another school day, "no offense" doesn't work how you think it does. Nor does it fall under being a "grammar nazi" either, seeing as it has nothing to do with grammar.
    See, I'm a nice guy. That's two for one. Happy Christmas.

As for your language difficulties I make no apologise for not knowing about your background.

You've been warned & banned enough in this forum alone to well know what insults. Personally I think you get away very lightly

The continued nonsense of being banned would imply the opposite - this "insult" line is mostly arbitrary and a fucking farce.

• Advertisement

did not lasted long though. i imagine if you could get some sort of recliner chair and some tray it would work perfect.

Bingo

Advertisement