Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Seems to be some comments on ICS battery drain on XDA

Only thing i have really noticed is the notification bar is ALOT smaller and the music app seems to be interfering with some of the shortcuts buttons i had configured for double twist.

Wish Sony would release a stock music + podcast player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ED E wrote: »
    Factory reset does the same thing as flashtool's wipe command, but restoring a seus backup might null the whole process, depending on how in depth it is.

so when updating you should backup everything >> factory reset >> then do the update, right?

also is this just for OS versions or firmware updates too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I think I'm getting great battery life on ICS compared to GB!

More than 36 hours usage, and still 16% battery :D

Screenshot_2012_06_27_20_26_11.png
    Screenshot_2012_06_27_20_26_24.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Is it just me or is the market (play or whatever it is called now) no longer able to update more than one app at a time? I have a fair few to update after moving to ICS and if I kick off more than one at a time, nothing downloads until I cancel them all and start them one at a time.

Ludo wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the market (play or whatever it is called now) no longer able to update more than one app at a time? I have a fair few to update after moving to ICS and if I kick off more than one at a time, nothing downloads until I cancel them all and start them one at a time.

Must just be you :(, i updated 40 or so tonight

naughtb4 wrote: »

Yeah, I just updated 7 there, all automatic after I pressed the update button :)

Is it just me though, or do they update 1 at a time now, rather than all at once, like I remember before?

Fifa 12 is free on the Play Now Store as an FYI, not sure of the price on market

Wait no only a trial version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Yeah, I just updated 7 there, all automatic after I pressed the update button :)

Is it just me though, or do they update 1 at a time now, rather than all at once, like I remember before?

Same here, noticed tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

batistuta9 wrote: »
    so when updating you should backup everything >> factory reset >> then do the update, right?

also is this just for OS versions or firmware updates too

Yep, backup then wipe and update or backup then update and wipe, either works.

Nah, minor updates dont bother with this, just major revisions :)

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »

I'm still on GB but when your updating them some app's get grouped together (all the google ones are always like this i've noticed + a few others) and you press just update for them all, but other's don't get included in this group for some reason & you've to selected it then update from it's page on play

@marcbrophy the ones in the group are updating 1 by 1 on GB too, so maybe a change from play rather than ICS

EDIT: does anyone else feel their starting to take the piss with permissions?
    Why do apps like TuneIn Radio & DI radio need access to phone state & identity

Yep, backup then wipe and update or backup then update and wipe, either works.

Nah, minor updates dont bother with this, just major revisions :)

cheers.

yeah has a quick look at it on google & it's said for major OS changes. giving from XP to Windows 7 as the example
    & even said Vista to Windows 7 would be OK, so figured firmware would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Joekers

Just updated to ICS there now and have to say its great :D

Ntocing Battery drain from Wakelock and Android System that wasnt there before

I do like the update though, stated using Nova launcher too seems useful

Battery is better for me, lest thats the impression I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Who are you all upgrading to ICS with? Im on Meteor and getting nothing over the air, or via pc companion??

• Advertisement

PetKing wrote: »
    Who are you all upgrading to ICS with? Im on Meteor and getting nothing over the air, or via pc companion??

FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Joekers

I'm meteor

Its based on SI number not network, least I think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Have a look here and see if your number is on the list. If its not on the list yet (like me) then just wait for your number to show and then you should get it over the air or via PC Companion
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/42096
    FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.
    I presume this is a method to flash a custom ROM meaning you need to be rooted?
    Not all of us will be rooted so most will just get ICS when our number shows on the list above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yes I upgraded with Flashtool too.

The more polished look and feel that isn't too heavy is why I love Xperia devices.

Hopefully Ericsson getting out of the partnership doesn't destroy this. I have an uncomfortable feeling that Sony may bloat the Xperia lines.

With proper marketing, I think they would definitely be the most popular Android phones.

The only thing I thought slightly odd on this was the removal of putting it on vibrate from the lock screen and the replacement of that slide action with a camera slide action which makes no sense when camera button is already on the side of the phone and the removal of the ability to take screenshots if you hold down power button which I used a good bit for work I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭loopymum

Hi, a friend of mine wants to get this phone now and I am just wondering are new phones still shipping with the yellow tint issue still?
    She would be buying from emobile.

Thanks

tui0hcg wrote: »

I presume this is a method to flash a custom ROM meaning you need to be rooted?
    Not all of us will be rooted so most will just get ICS when our number shows on the list above

Excuse my manners but WRONG! This comes up time and again on XDA.

You DO NOT need to be rooted or bootloader unlocked to flash with flashtool. To flash a CUSTOM you do, but to flash a generic like CH that everyones using right now ANY phone can do it. ANY. Network, SI, bootloader, doesnt matter.

Can those of you with decent ICS battery life let me know how much battery Android System and System Media Server and Wakelock are taking from the battery?

Thanks

Screenshot_2012-07-01-16-21-53.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-01-16-22-07.png

Photobucket isnt behaving :S

And none it seems...

Thanks, you are on Swiss Generic yes? might flash that tomorrow

Yup

Just set up my ICE( in case of emergency) number on the lockscreen but noticed a bug. If music is playing then you get the music controls instead of the clock and no ICE info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Excuse my manners but WRONG! This comes up time and again on XDA.

You DO NOT need to be rooted or bootloader unlocked to flash with flashtool. To flash a CUSTOM you do, but to flash a generic like CH that everyones using right now ANY phone can do it. ANY. Network, SI, bootloader, doesnt matter.

Excuse my manners too... but thats why I put a ? after my question.... I don't know what a Flashtool will do or how to use it. What I am getting at is that most users will not have a clue how to flash and do what you are talking about. Most users will just get ICS through an over the air update or when they plug in to a PC using the Companion software.
    We ain't all Flashers!!

People with locked bootloaders who want to root, will find this thread interesting :D

People with locked bootloaders who want to root, will find this thread interesting :D

Oooooh, so giving that a shot tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Can those of you with decent ICS battery life let me know how much battery Android System and System Media Server and Wakelock are taking from the battery?

Thanks

Not sure if this will help you or not as I didn't use the phone for anything for around 24/26 hours, it was just sitting there on - i went out left it behind.

64% - Discharging
    1d 2h 33m 32s on battery

Android System - 36%
    Cell standby - 28%
    Phone idle - 17%
    Screen - 15%
    Maps - 6%

Not sure if this will help you or not as I didn't use the phone for anything for around 24/26 hours, it was just sitting there on - i went out left it behind.

64% - Discharging
    1d 2h 33m 32s on battery

Android System - 36%
    Cell standby - 28%
    Phone idle - 17%
    Screen - 15%
    Maps - 6%

Thanks did you have data connections on or airplane mode?

Definitly seems be be excessive Android System usage on the Irish ICS/Phones, odd one

Thanks did you have data connections on or airplane mode?

Definitly seems be be excessive Android System usage on the Irish ICS/Phones, odd one

No, WiFi, Bluetooth, airplane mode were all off

In Mobile Networks >>> Data enabled was checked though, you want me to check anything else?

i'm on Three btw if that makes any difference, as Android System is very low in the screenshot ED E posted

No, WiFi, Bluetooth, airplane mode were all off

In Mobile Networks >>> Data enabled was checked though, you want me to check anything else?

i'm on Three btw if that makes any difference, as Android System is very low in the screenshot ED E posted

Sorry, was Data (E/3G) on or off?

If off, id say thats considerable drain, if on thats not too bad at all

Sorry, was Data (E/3G) on or off?

If off, id say thats considerable drain, if on thats not too bad at all

is not what i listed before Mobile Networks >>> Data enabled
    and it was checked, so on.

if not where do i find it?

Settings -> More -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode, this can be set to GSM only or WDCMA/GSM.

Settings -> More -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode, this can be set to GSM only or WDCMA/GSM.

that isn't in my Mobile network settings

I've got:
    Data enabled
    Data roaming
    use only 3G networks - this is what i think you mean & i didn't have it selected
    Access Point Names
    network operators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Can anyone tell me if Skype is working on the xperia s ?
    Is the video chat working?

Oooooh, so giving that a shot tomorrow.

Still cant decide if I should do this with my daily driver or not.....:/

• Advertisement

Still cant decide if I should do this with my daily driver or not.....:/

I didn't read much past the first post myself!
    Does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sonic.boom

mondeo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Skype is working on the xperia s ?
    Is the video chat working?

Hi. On GingerBread everything was working for me except in video calls there is problem between changing form landscape to portrait very annoying for me but still does the job.

In ICS problems is fixed - everything working perfect so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sonic.boom

Simple answer Sony Xperia S is more powerfull with beautiful HD screen and 12px camera + 1.5 dual core processor

http://www.adverts.ie/1800916

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

loopymum wrote: »
    Hi, a friend of mine wants to get this phone now and I am just wondering are new phones still shipping with the yellow tint issue still?
    She would be buying from emobile.

Thanks

Hi!

Also looking at buying one in next 48 hrs- so to repeat question above - Would likes of Carphone warehouse or Meteor still have stock that has tainted screen?

And,would ones bought today/tomorrow already running ICS out of the box anyone know?

Was going to get HTC One S today but Meteor have a recall/block on them due to HTC saying there is issues with them at the minute and not looking to fork out for One X or Galaxy III.

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

They both have pros and cons

Xperia S:
    + Better Screen
    + 12mp Camera
    - Capacitive buttons can be hard to hit, used to really annoy me
    - No expandable memory or removable battery
    - Not the best design

Samsung Galaxy S2
    + Micro Sd Slot and Removable battery
    + Nicer design

Personally id pick the GS2, overall its the better phone in my opinion, when i had the xperia s i didn't like the design, i was sick of waiting for the ICS update and i also hated the capacitive buttons, the screen was class though.

Have a look here, might help you with your decision.

• Advertisement

Kanedmick wrote: »
    Hi!

Also looking at buying one in next 48 hrs- so to repeat question above - Would likes of Carphone warehouse or Meteor still have stock that has tainted screen?

And,would ones bought today/tomorrow already running ICS out of the box anyone know?

Possibly, I think the ones with the tint issue were made between week 10 & 14 + they have a code that identifies this too, the weeks + code are given in this thread somewhere, this is listed on the back of the phone if you get then to remove the cover in the shop you'll know.

I'm nearly sure it's only a specific batch of them had the tint issue, someone else on here will know better or confirm it but if you know what models not to take you should be ok. I got one around a month ago - no bother with the tint.

I wouldn't say it will have ICS no.

Kanedmick wrote: »
    Hi!

Was going to get HTC One S today but Meteor have a recall/block on them due to HTC saying there is issues with them at the minute and not looking to fork out for One X or Galaxy III.

thanks!

Without working in the shops its hard to know. I would expect it be be fine but cant garuntee it

Wouldnt say it is running ICS but its a half hour update

The only way to tell in shop is to have them open the box for you. The build codes arent on the outside, you have to check the back of the phone.

12W16 on will be fine, before that, dont risk it. Also, if its not AAXX eg ABCA is grand but AAED is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

have been in contact with the guy selling an xperia s. the build number is 6.0.A.3.7 5 and it is a 12W16. is this batch affected by the yellow tint or should it be safe?

have been in contact with the guy selling an xperia s. the build number is 6.0.A.3.7 5 and it is a 12W16. is this batch affected by the yellow tint or should it be safe?

Think there may have been a few 16s tinted. Find the thread on XDA and do a search for "12W16" and that'll tell ya.

• Advertisement
Advertisement