Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetary Annihilation kickstarter

Options
  • 16-08-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Concept sounds great if they can pull it off, hopefully it will get the funding!

was a big fan of total annihilation and supreme commander, this could scratch that large scale RTS itch!
    Plus anything that allows my to hurl giant asteroids at enemies = WIN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DracusWlf

Saw your thread, went for the 95 dollar early bird.
    Sounds like this could be excellent!! Loved TA and Supreme Commander and to some extend the second one.

Could be better than Diablo 3 ? :) Maybe ?

Sunk 100's of hours into RTS can't wait to see if they get funded. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm not a big fan of RTS games but on the other hand destroying planets does sound very appealing. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

They will have Linux support now too, and I read they're nearly half way funded in only 3 days so looking good!
    What I want to see is a way to put big solar collectors on an asteroid that powers a big honkin space laser = Death Star!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Going by the video it seems to be targeted at multiplayer, putting me off a bit. I don't really pay much multiplayer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

danthefan wrote: »
    Going by the video it seems to be targeted at multiplayer, putting me off a bit. I don't really pay much multiplayer really.

while it doesn't look like it will have a single player campaign (it maybe a stretch goal) It would have a single player vs AI mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

needs more Nazis

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

They got the same narrator as they had in Total Annihilation. I'm In!!!

I want that guy narrating my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I liked Kickstarter when it was about tiny budgets & just seeing how they are surpassed.

Now you have all these studios coming in with 6-figure prices and wondering why they're not being funded...
    Makes me kinda mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Azza wrote: »
    They got the same narrator as they had in Total Annihilation. I'm In!!!

I want that guy narrating my life.

Are you sure? - I think this guy would be better :p

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Are you sure? - I think this guy would be better :p

I raise you this! On a side note they have over 60% of the needed funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Makes me kinda mad.

Why? There is a large demand for a decent TA successor, none of the big studios have managed it so far and this studio can't afford to do it without support - though they certainly seem to have a good idea of how to do it. They also don't want to do a half-assed job, which is what they'd be doing if they compromised on half of their projected budget. They have a realistic plan and people are backing them up to see that plan through.

What part of that, exactly, makes you mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Zillah wrote: »
    Why? There is a large demand for a decent TA successor, none of the big studios have managed it so far and this studio can't afford to do it without support - though they certainly seem to have a good idea of how to do it. They also don't want to do a half-assed job, which is what they'd be doing if they compromised on half of their projected budget. They have a realistic plan and people are backing them up to see that plan through.

Did Supreme Commander not fulfil the role of spiritual successor to TA, given that Chris Taylor stated as much since the rights to TA lie with Atari (i think?).

Supreme Commander was a fairly poor game that carried very little of the TA spirit. I played it for about five hours and never went back to it. The similarities are there, but not in the way that counts. This is a common opinion.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't think that's a common opinion. I know several people who liked it including myself. It was well received critically too (86% on meta critic, 81% user score).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Zillah wrote: »

It's the giant, inflated budgets being asked for by half the developers that get me mad.

Anything in 6 figures just makes me wary.
    Also, take a look at RPS' Kickstarter Katchup. Something seems very wrong with half these budgets IMHO.
    But hey, I'm no developer; just a cynic.

Azza wrote: »
    I don't think that's a common opinion. I know several people who liked it including myself. It was well received critically too (86% on meta critic, 81% user score).

That's not been my experience. I frequently hear people grabbing TA for some nostalgic fun, new map packs and custom AI being released - there's also a fan-made 4.0 patch that does loads of things, including redoing the pathfinding AI. Know how often I hear people talking about Supreme Commander? Never. There's a big thread over on Something Awful about this and the general opinion is "I am so excited about Planetary Annihilation because Supreme Commander was really disappointing".
    It's the giant, inflated budgets being asked for by half the developers that get me mad.

Also, take a look at RPS' Kickstarter Katchup. Something seems very wrong with half these budgets IMHO.

For a game like Planetary Annihilation the proposed budget seems reasonable. I'm not saying all kickstarters are great, but I'd also steer away from a kneejerk reaction.

Looks like planetary annihilation is a real project now! :D
    4b306d32f999ce9c7622d3b4a3f4be86_large.png?1346257076

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks like an awesome game,probably won't see it till next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Saw the trailer a few weeks ago, looks very promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Looks kind of cool. Only problem is I really don't like the art style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Well past it's goal and looks like it should break $2m when it ends in a little over two days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Delighted this was fully funded (and then some), it's one of the few RTS games I've seen which genuinely excited me.
    Curious as to why you think this?

Medium sized development team with wages to be paid over a 12-18 month period.
    Office space with utilities.
    Equipment.
    Software licences.

Regarding the teams themselves, quite often they're industry vets who often have families so it's not like they can afford to live on a subsistent wage during the lengthy development cycle.

So yea, it all adds up, especially when you're talking about larger scale games like Planetary Annihilation, Shadowrun Online, Bad Planet etc...

Woohoo! Galactic War achieved. Hopefully they'll make it as far as the soundtrack target.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,889 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"the best beer to drink with Planetary Annihilation is probably an IPA. Maybe even an Imperial IPA. Something strong and hoppy as you watch your planet burn."

http://www.twitch.tv/uberchannel Live feed of the countdown. Broke $2.2m so that's all of the stretch goals achieved plus some extra for beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hoping for great things from this. Delighted that the orchestral score got funded - loved the soundtrack of TA. Also, page says that the Planetary Documentary has been funded. Has it been said what this is? Are we talking something along the lines of the Double Fine Adventure style documentary?

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Hoping for great things from this. Delighted that the orchestral score got funded - loved the soundtrack of TA. Also, page says that the Planetary Documentary has been funded. Has it been said what this is? Are we talking something along the lines of the Double Fine Adventure style documentary?

I doubt it would be as in-depth as the DA Documentary. They haven't said what form it would take yet though as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,889 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://store.steampowered.com/video/233250/2028715

I'm kinda mad I didn't have funds to help the Kickstarter, but JUNE 7th!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Awwwwwwww hell yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

I've backup this one ;) can't wait!

Advertisement