Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Amoureux

Shybride2016 I know what you mean, have my 30th coming up and my partner asked did I want a party, it was a definite no, I was horrified at the idea of having people I know there and being the centre of attention, it was only after that I started thinking about how I'd cope with that attention on the day. So what i'm doing is just focusing on the details, if I just work on researching/booking/organising the "next thing" it'll just get me there step by step.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gingaling

Hi Shybride, I hope you're doing okay.

I'm sure you can find ways to come up with a way of celebrating that you're comfortable with. The whole point is for you and your husband-to-be to enjoy the day after all!

One of my favourite weddings was actually one where the bride was very shy and didn't want to be the focus of the day. Their civil ceremony was very simple and low-key, but she chose lovely readings which were read beautifully and with so much meaning. She and her husband took some time out together before the drinks reception (it was all at one venue) and for the first dance they called everyone onto the dance floor to dance with them after about 20 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

Do happy to find this thread! Thought it was so far away but this makes it all feel closer somehow! Getting married in March 2016, seems to be a popular month!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

I'm getting a mixed reaction to the fact it's in term time. Can't please everyone but it's still not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

miss.lost wrote: »
    Do happy to find this thread! Thought it was so far away but this makes it all feel closer somehow! Getting married in March 2016, seems to be a popular month!

Welcome to the thread miss.lost.

Sorry to hear your plans aren't being well received wester lass, try not to let it get in the way of an exciting time for you. You'll never please everyone unfortunately x

• Advertisement

Welcome to the thread miss.lost.

Sorry to hear your plans aren't being well received wester lass, try not to let it get in the way of an exciting time for you. You'll never please everyone unfortunately x

Thanks. I'm ok and I get over each step after a day. It's just not nice getting the emails :) just under a year for us left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

August 2016- venue is booked, singer is booked - she includes an hour and half reception in her price which is great, just booked hair and makeup and am contacting Celebrants! Blimey!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have venue booked, photographer, meeting celebrant this month but date is held.

Booked my hair and make up people too. Just starting to go look at bands and hope to have that sorted in the next 2/3 weeks. Will book a videographer soon too and then ill sit back and chill for a few months!!

April 2016 for us. Venue is booked and celebrant is booked so just sorting through the rest now.

Made enquiries about hair, bouquet and cake already but haven't arranged anything definite yet. Hoping to get photographer sorted in the next few weeks. Haven't decided what kind of music to have at the ceremony or afterwards, kinda stuck in that regard so any recommendations are welcome.

Not having a band at the mo, just dj but nothing booked yet.

Jesus the list is endless lol

April 2016 for us. Venue is booked and celebrant is booked so just sorting through the rest now.

Made enquiries about hair, bouquet and cake already but haven't arranged anything definite yet. Hoping to get photographer sorted in the next few weeks. Haven't decided what kind of music to have at the ceremony or afterwards, kinda stuck in that regard so any recommendations are welcome.

Not having a band at the mo, just dj but nothing booked yet.

Jesus the list is endless lol

What type of music do you like? Funky functions are good or Aidan Kavanagh is a great DJ if you want alternative stuff

• Advertisement

Went dress shopping for the first time yesterday, such a negative experience. When I got there the assistant asked me if I'd been there before, told her I hadn't that this was my first time dress shopping but she seemed to doubt me. She left me into the dressing room with the dresses, didn't ask if I needed help getting them out of their cases or off the hangers, then I'd have to open the door and ask her to do up the back. I was very open to style/material/neckline, but as soon as we found the style that suited me (fitted) she put me into an A-line dress, told her I didnt like that style and she made me try on 2 more A-line dresses. Told her I definitely prefered fitted but then she just kind of gave up on me, said "oh maybe come back another time, we'll be getting more dresses in 8 weeks" then she wandered off. I was just left going oh I guess I'll get out of this dress so. Then when I said to her that I'd make another appointment for 8 weeks she said "Or maybe you might get it somewhere else" Was absolutely stunned, was only there about an hour so it wasn't like I'd wasted her whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Amoureux wrote: »
    Went dress shopping for the first time yesterday, such a negative experience. When I got there the assistant asked me if I'd been there before, told her I hadn't that this was my first time dress shopping but she seemed to doubt me. She left me into the dressing room with the dresses, didn't ask if I needed help getting them out of their cases or off the hangers, then I'd have to open the door and ask her to do up the back. I was very open to style/material/neckline, but as soon as we found the style that suited me (fitted) she put me into an A-line dress, told her I didnt like that style and she made me try on 2 more A-line dresses. Told her I definitely prefered fitted but then she just kind of gave up on me, said "oh maybe come back another time, we'll be getting more dresses in 8 weeks" then she wandered off. I was just left going oh I guess I'll get out of this dress so. Then when I said to her that I'd make another appointment for 8 weeks she said "Or maybe you might get it somewhere else" Was absolutely stunned, was only there about an hour so it wasn't like I'd wasted her whole day.

Oh god, thats awful. Can you pm me the name of the place so i make sure i dont go there.

Oh my god that's awful Amoureux, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience on your first day dress shopping. I've been told by everyone how exciting a time it is & that woman sounds like an absolute weapon, you had a lucky escape there and she's lost a costly sale.

I haven't started looking yet myself but hoping to in the next few weeks. If you wouldn't mind PMing me the name of the shop I'd really appreciate it too.

Mind yourself & good luck with the search!

Will pm the name no bother if mods say it's ok,
    Thinking about it after from what she said at the very beginning, we think maybe she thought I was someone who was there before. She just overall seemed very disinterested and inexperienced, she was just pulling random dresses totally disregarding what i'd liked/disliked from previous dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Will pm the name no bother if mods say it's ok,
    Thinking about it after from what she said at the very beginning, we think maybe she thought I was someone who was there before. She just overall seemed very disinterested and inexperienced, she was just pulling random dresses totally disregarding what i'd liked/disliked from previous dresses.
    What county was that shop in?

That's a horrible way to treat people! I have to say I had fantastic appointments in Eden manor in enniscorthy and in Jeutonic in Kilkenny, ended up buying from Jeutonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

I'm actually a 2017 bride but I wanted to jump in, I need advice! We had worked out a package with our venue, and were about to pay deposit when we were told their minimum numbers had increased by a third. We're so annoyed as we hadn't signed a contract yet because the wedding coordinator told us it was too early and there was no rush. It's all on emails and I've said how disappointed i am and can they not honour what we had previously agreed. They are willing to do the originally agreed minimum numbers but only if we do it midweek or winter time (which we really don't want to do). As no contract was signed should we move on? So disappointed!

I'm actually a 2017 bride but I wanted to jump in, I need advice! We had worked out a package with our venue, and were about to pay deposit when we were told their minimum numbers had increased by a third. We're so annoyed as we hadn't signed a contract yet because the wedding coordinator told us it was too early and there was no rush. It's all on emails and I've said how disappointed i am and can they not honour what we had previously agreed. They are willing to do the originally agreed minimum numbers but only if we do it midweek or winter time (which we really don't want to do). As no contract was signed should we move on? So disappointed!

Hi lovelystuff,

Sorry to hear of the hassle you're having with your venue, I understand how annoyed you are and rightly so but thank your lucky stars you hadn't signed a contract.

We were in kind of a similar position regarding minimum numbers and having it midweek etc.

I know it's easy for me to say but if I was you I would let the venue know you're looking elsewhere as their new requirements don't suit you. We were stuck between two venues, one of which were delighted to host our small numbers as long as it was midweek and either March or October. This was after us specifying we wanted an April wedding and on a Saturday!

We just thanked them for showing us around and meeting with us but another venue suited us better.

Good luck with the search and you will find somewhere that best suits your needs, don't worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Thanks shybride appreciate it! Its mad because we were spending quite a lot on our package too, so it's not like we weren't worth their while. You're dead right though I'm looking at other venues and have let them know how disappointed we are. Hopefully it will all work out, sure as long as we end up married it will be grand! Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd be wary of a venue changing the goalposts like that at such short notice, and not working with you on it. It doesn't bode well for working smoothly with them in the future, so when something like that happens, I'd advise you to just walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not a bride, but will be getting married next year, sorted out the venue this weekend thankfully.

Have one question though. Fiancée wants to get married in a certain church, it's COI. But also is from Catholic family. Is it possible to have the ceremony in that church? Have seen contradicting messages in some Catholic magazines preparing for wedding at friends house. Church location doesn't matter to me, but location of one she wants is class.

• Advertisement

Booked our Solemniser so thats another job done! That's it now for a while I think.

We hit the fatigue mark with it all. Taking a break

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

We find we do stuff in bursts. Youd drive yourself mad if at it all the time.

fits wrote: »
    We find we do stuff in bursts. Youd drive yourself mad if at it all the time.

I work in the in the industry too so does get overwhelming

Thank good im not the only one taking a break from the planning. Finding it overwhelming thinking about it all the time and everything that needs to be booked so far in advance 😁

Photographer and ceremony music still to be sorted but I need a break too!

There isn't really much else I can do this far in advance unless my to.do list is completely off.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

We are taking a break also. We have everything done that can be done, we did our pre marriage course yesterday so thats another box ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

noanoa wrote: »
    We are taking a break also. We have everything done that can be done, we did our pre marriage course yesterday so thats another box ticked.

What was the pre-marriage course like? I'm waiting a little while longer until we do ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

It was fine, we only did the one day together course. It was cheaper then accord and shorter.
    We just wanted to get it out of the way to be honest, glad its done now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

we met with the priest last night for the first time, he's insisting we do the accord course we were hoping to do a one day course but doesn't look like we have any option now:confused:

Advertisement