Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EganTheMan

Not an easy job . . . Must be a lonely job?

I am pretty sure that the driver is not responsible for people on the bus without paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well perhaps you should be lobbying your TD?

Waste of time. I cycle/drive most places now. Used to have an annual bus pass. That's €1200 Dublin Bus lose out on because I got tired of having to bus it with the cast of Shameless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Mahogany wrote: »
    Obviously not, but again I'm going to use the example of my brother who was left off 4 stops AFTER his stop because the driver didn't believe he was 15.

Poor customer service, as well as being a petty man. Which again I will say, would get you fired in most other jobs.

I'm sure your brothers case can be discussed again on it's own merits,perhaps in a seperate new thread ?

In this instance however,could you perhaps return to your original issue,the iniquity of you being charged adult Busfare.

Could you perhaps outline the situation which sees you,as a 21 year old Student at a recognised Educational Establishment being ineligible for a Student Leapcard ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Waste of time. I cycle/drive most places now. Used to have an annual bus pass. That's €1200 Dublin Bus lose out on because I got tired of having to bus it with the cast of Shameless

A good decision for you I would suggest.

If your view of the rest of your fellow passengers is as solid as in this post,then it is highly unlikely ANY form of social interaction is likely to satisfy your specific needs.

I would strongly favour such involuntary customers to follow Mongfinder Generals self-help as in the long run it benefits everybody.

The Accountants would click their tongues and suffer a hissy-fit,but the benefits of losing or redeploying customers who will never be satisfied do,I believe,allow for any company to concentrate more on the requirements of the reasonable, voluntary customer.

Equally,the cast of Shameless,may also feel somewhat relieved at their new found freedom from inspection ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A good decision for you I would suggest.

If your view of the rest of your fellow passengers is as solid as in this post,then it is highly unlikely ANY form of social interaction is likely to satisfy your specific needs.

I would strongly favour such involuntary customers to follow Mongfinder Generals self-help as in the long run it benefits everybody.

The Accountants would click their tongues and suffer a hissy-fit,but the benefits of losing or redeploying customers who will never be satisfied do,I believe,allow for any company to concentrate more on the requirements of the reasonable, voluntary customer.

Equally,the cast of Shameless,may also feel somewhat relieved at their new found freedom from inspection ?

I didn't realise that the quotient of welfare pass holders and other assorted non paying dirt birds contribute to the remuneration of Dublin Bus staff and drivers.

Do tell me what bus route serves your district of Fantasy Land Economics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Great thread this and especially love the eloquent responses from aleksmart. Reminds me of the days of Garaiste Billy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

so in previous posts it was stated the ticket machines are based on 20 year old technology.
    Apple have only just introduced partial implementation of NFC with their latest and greatest iPhone 6, as they don’t believe it is ready for mass use, the tech is not quite ready.

why the hell are the NTA putting more and more capabilities onto the leap card, it is a antiquated ticket machine, which can’t do the job.
    there are notices in work, the union has brought it to the managements attention that the ticket machines are causing the loss of revenue, not a thing has been done, you have to ask why?

if Apple can’t get it to work with cutting edge tech, why are the NTA increasing the load on the useless ticket machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

I'm sure your brothers case can be discussed again on it's own merits,perhaps in a seperate new thread ?

In this instance however,could you perhaps return to your original issue,the iniquity of you being charged adult Busfare.

Could you perhaps outline the situation which sees you,as a 21 year old Student at a recognised Educational Establishment being ineligible for a Student Leapcard ?

It's been resolved I was using it as an example of poor customer service.

Don't really want to discuss my issue it's a general thread, I just want to highlight the poor customer service and rip off fares from DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

But you've been told numerous times that you don't have to pay "rip off prices" yet you won't respond to that no matter how often its pointed out to you. You can get a student leap card and pay less. For some reason you'd rather pay cash and moan about it.

It's been resolved I was using it as an example of poor customer service.

Don't really want to discuss my issue it's a general thread, I just want to highlight the poor customer service and rip off fares from DB.

When you say "resolved",are we to take it as being in your favour ?

In all fairness,you haven't highlighted any great rip-off fares as yet.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise that the quotient of welfare pass holders and other assorted non paying dirt birds contribute to the remuneration of Dublin Bus staff and drivers.

Do tell me what bus route serves your district of Fantasy Land Economics...

Fantasy Land it may well be,but the DSP Free Travel Payment to Dublin Bus for 2013 was €20,444,000,so I guess those folks which cause such offence are,in a roundabout way contributing to my remuneration ?

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why you feel the need to attack either the Staff or the DSP customers ?

Surely,as you've found a more suitable alternative to Public Transport then both yourself and those less fortunate than you can share the happiness ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

When you say "resolved",are we to take it as being in your favour ?

Yep got a letter of apology so he did.

Well 2.60 is a rip off and everyone knows it and will continue to evade fares until the price comes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Well 2.60 is a rip off and everyone knows it and will continue to evade fares until the price comes down.

That's partly the reason they keep going up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cash fares are high as they want you to pay by cash no longer.

I am surprised the cash fares are not higher but some will never change a moan about how high it is when they actually have an easier option that is also a good bit cheaper.

It will be cashless as soon as they can get set up just like in London but this will be a good few years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

And it has been pointed out that to you that on LEAP that fare is currently €2.15 and will go down to €2.05 from December 1st.

But if you want to continue paying more than you have to, that's frankly up to you.

Ah right oh...from December 1st the €2.60 goes to €2.80 for folks such as yourself.

Do bear in mind that you will get a paper-ticket and it is valid for that journey only.

Less eccentric people however,will be paying an equivalent Leapcard fare of €2.05,a reduction of 75c per journey,with the additional benefit of a Leap90 Transfer rebate of €1.00 on 2nd and subsequent bus journeys made within 90 minutes of the initial payment.

I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what more can be done to outline the significant savings readily available to reasonably minded people prepared to take some personal responsibility and avail of such opportunities.

The Fare Evasion issue is somewhat odd also,as such carry-on is universally recognized as one of the major contributory factors to Fare INCREASES,however if it satisfies a particular need to be seen as a crusader then so be it.

It should,however,be borne in mind that Revenue Checks are going to be significantly expanded in the early part of 2015,with far more use of the Standard Fare of €100.

So,whether you continue to ignore the reality of readily available FAR cheaper Fares,simply to allow you the luxury of feeling indignant,is your own call,but don't be surprised when you're finally called-out on it.... :)

BTW good luck with the studies....have you any specific area you wish to progress intoin 3rd level perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

er, all of them?
    I think it's fairly wide accepted that even Leap fares are excessive compared to actual service delivered overall

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

er, all of them?
    I think it's fairly wide accepted that even Leap fares are excessive compared to actual service delivered overall

Really

€6.90 adult cap a day and even a further saving if used more at the end of the 7days.

Student €5 cap daily

Child €2.50 cap daily

Also now when you board and travel within 90 minutes of 1st trave on transport vehicle you get a €1 discount.

It costs me more to start my car then it does for someone to travel on a bus, luas or dart.

How anyone can say it is expensive to travel on public transport is beyond me as take all costs of running a service.

Example.
    Bus costs €350,000 approx, parking costs(depot space needed), Fuel to run it, maintanance costs including repairs/staff, Driver's, ticket equipment, tyre rental. This list goes on and costs to run any business like this are huge.

Er, all of them?

I'd disagree here.

The general Fare levels are about mid-range in EU Capital terms.

What differentiates Dublin is the spread of fares available,ie: from €0.55 to €3.05 cash all available on the same journey.

This,whether people like to admit it or not,is a very customer friendly approach as it benefits those short-hoppers whilst discriminating somewhat against the longer distance commuter.

Interestingly,the NTA appear to be realizing this too,as the rebalance of the 13+ stage and Expresso fares from Dec 1st demonstrates.

A single Expresso Leapfare of €2.85 is excellent value and stands comparison with any operator in similar circumstances.

An 18 Year old having a widely available Fare of 70c for example is FANTASTIC value and will I suspect result in a good supply of new bus customers particularly if marketed correctly.

With the amalgamation of the 4-7 and 8-13 stage Leap fares from Dec 1st,Dublin Bus will have a dei-facto Flate Fare of €2.05...which I think compares favourable with places such as Birmingham (UK) with it's cash flat fare of £Stg 2.10 (€2.65).

So,IMO,the value for money per journey is Ok.certainly nowhere near what many appear to think it is,and when Leapfares and flexibility is factored in then we move up a notch I believe.

Fantasy Land it may well be,but the DSP Free Travel Payment to Dublin Bus for 2013 was €20,444,000,so I guess those folks which cause such offence are,in a roundabout way contributing to my remuneration ?

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why you feel the need to attack either the Staff or the DSP customers ?

Surely,as you've found a more suitable alternative to Public Transport then both yourself and those less fortunate than you can share the happiness ?

The travel payment comes from the DSP? Where do you think they get their funding from?

What makes you think bus passengers are less fortunate than me? Where in my contribution did I attack the staff of Dublin Bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

I'd disagree here.

The general Fare levels are about mid-range in EU Capital terms.

The fare levels might be about mid-range, but the bus service is anything but.

As a long term sufferer on the 7 corridor the only saving grace is the 4 covering some of it (and even the 4 route has gotten worse over the last few months).

Buses not showing up, buses leaving the termini not as per the timetable, disappearing buses, curtailed buses, service gaps of more than 30 minutes at peak times, RTPI fantasy story, bunched up buses (within a driving time of less than 10 minutes), "temporary" bus stop on O'Connell bridge, no bus stop outside Dun Laoghaire Dart station, Blackrock scenic tour, ...

In EU Capital terms I'd rank that as well below mid-range ...

lil5 wrote: »

As a long term sufferer on the 7 corridor the only saving grace is the 4 covering some of it (and even the 4 route has gotten worse over the last few months).

Buses not showing up, buses leaving the termini not as per the timetable, disappearing buses, curtailed buses, service gaps of more than 30 minutes at peak times, RTPI fantasy story, bunched up buses (within a driving time of less than 10 minutes), "temporary" bus stop on O'Connell bridge, no bus stop outside Dun Laoghaire Dart station, Blackrock scenic tour, ...

You sound like a Union Rep at a Local Meeting now.....

All of those issues have been repeatedly raised with both Local and Central Management,who,to be fair,have limited resources available for redirection.

There are certain actions which could be considered in an attempt to solve some of the issues,such as the curtailment of the 7 to a South City Terminus utilizing the O'Connell/Hackett/Butt/Talbot Bridges as focal points.

The pretence that the current service levels can continue to be directed along O Connell St/Parnell St-Sq is I'm afraid,untenable and of limited benefit to many customers,particularly as a City-Centre Fare will effectively be free to Leapcard transferees.

The continuing refusal of Dublin City Council to sanction a Bus-Shelter on O Connell Bridge (For aesthetic reasons :o) speaks volumes for the regard in which DCC holds Public Transport users...I'll wager if you owned a Multi-Storey Car Park and wanted similar protection for your customers,backs would be broken to meet your needs....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Merely a leap-card fare paying customer.
    Making only the absolute necessary journeys on DB.
    And I know where I stand in the priorities of (non-)service of Dublinbus.

All of those issues have been repeatedly raised with both Local and Central Management,who,to be fair,have limited resources available for redirection.

Yes, I know, none of these issues could ever have been resolved by DB. Ever.
    It's just a sad accepted state of affairs that shows the well below mid-range service for the ever increasing about mid-range fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sounds like an average customer to me, in fact sounds much like me a few years ago, while you sound like the union rep blaming all and sundry apart from those directly responsible for the crap service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Yesterday:
    Check real time and leave work when there's two buses due, in 7 and 9 minutes. Stop is 4 minutes away. Second bus passes me as I walk out the front door.
    Walk into the city centre, checking stops on the way. Arrive on the quays, where I have a choice of buses: stop 1 has two of the same bus, both due in 13 minutes; stop two has two of the same bus, both due in 17 minutes; stop 3 has my regular bus, due in 7 minutes; stop 4 has a bus due in 1 minute. Except that still hadn't turned up when I pulled away from stop 3 five minutes later.

This morning:
    20 minute gap in buses at rush hour when they're scheduled every 7-10 minutes. First bus that comes is terminating in the city centre, despite the fact that the only such scheduled buses are the last one at night, so lots of people ignore it. Second bus just about stops, continues full past every stop after mine until halfway into town, from which there's massive dwell times at each stop as people try to get off and on past those wedged like sardines along the bus. Takes 40 minutes for a 25 minute journey.

Clearly none of this is in any way DB's fault

MOH wrote: »
    Yesterday:
    Check real time and leave work when there's two buses due, in 7 and 9 minutes. Stop is 4 minutes away. Second bus passes me as I walk out the front door.
    Walk into the city centre, checking stops on the way. Arrive on the quays, where I have a choice of buses: stop 1 has two of the same bus, both due in 13 minutes; stop two has two of the same bus, both due in 17 minutes; stop 3 has my regular bus, due in 7 minutes; stop 4 has a bus due in 1 minute. Except that still hadn't turned up when I pulled away from stop 3 five minutes later.

This morning:
    20 minute gap in buses at rush hour when they're scheduled every 7-10 minutes. First bus that comes is terminating in the city centre, despite the fact that the only such scheduled buses are the last one at night, so lots of people ignore it. Second bus just about stops, continues full past every stop after mine until halfway into town, from which there's massive dwell times at each stop as people try to get off and on past those wedged like sardines along the bus. Takes 40 minutes for a 25 minute journey.

So assuming it IS DB's fault....what would a suggested solution be ?

Sounds like an average customer to me, in fact sounds much like me a few years ago, while you sound like the union rep blaming all and sundry apart from those directly responsible for the crap service.

I'm directly responsible for Driving my own duty,one of several thousand operated daily.

I tend to operate on that simple basis,and thankfully so far it appears to work reasonably well,but I'm only judging that from the relationship I have with those regular customers on my route over the years.

The issues so elequently raised are,by this stage,hoary old chesnuts,with nobody to be found with any interest or responsibility in addressing them.....

Buses not showing up, buses leaving the termini not as per the timetable, disappearing buses, curtailed buses, service gaps of more than 30 minutes at peak times, RTPI fantasy story, bunched up buses (within a driving time of less than 10 minutes), "temporary" bus stop on O'Connell bridge, no bus stop outside Dun Laoghaire Dart station, Blackrock scenic tour,.....

If there is some means by which I can help to "solve" these issues then I shall most certainly attempt to....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

lil5 wrote: »

What you are experiencing is a result of cuts in services and running times during the worst of the bust, just as there was a lag when DB was operating in boom mode for a few years of the bust there will in all likelyhood be a longer lag as DB operates in bust mode as things start to recover. traffic has worsened, more people are returning to work and the Luas works are in full flow but DB is operating service levels for a recession with little traffic.

All this was predicted when the cuts were coming thick and fast, but no one gave a **** unfortunately, it is far easier to remove 300 buses than it is to get them back.

It has taken DB over a year to try and hire 100 drivers and that is just to cover current service levels nevermind increased services or improved running times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

MOH wrote: »
    Yesterday:

This morning:

fault lies at many doors not just the obvious culprits, some would be the government for cutting subvention, the NTA for making changes more difficult to existing schedules, the Gardai for not bothering their arse, the city council for likewise, Dublin Bus are at fault as well, but some things are outside of their control like, funding, fleet size, traffic enforcement, parking, crappy bus stop standards, my opinion is that they should just be honest and redo schedules better to have 4 definite departures an hour then pretend you have 6, but DB management claim they are no longer in charge, that it is the NTA that call the shots, hard to know if it is completely true or buck passing or a mixture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The Leap card fares are not excessive for the most part (especially not on the buses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement