Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Pride 2014

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

yes a total freakshow.should not be allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I think it's perfectly obvious what is meant by calling the parade a freakshow.
    And you may be correct, but you may also be incorrect (which I think was whirlpool's point).

If someone thinks that those (which included friends of mine) in the parade were a 'freakshow', then that's grossly unfair, and not someone I'd consort with.
    I also think it's grossly unfair to label someone a bigot without knowledge of the person, wasn't part of the conversation that took place, and didn't even overhear the conversation.

sniperman wrote: »
    yes a total freakshow.should not be allowed
    Why are they a freakshow?
    Some dress-up (some don't), have a good time, don't cause hassle for people, and make it inclusive for all.
    They are as entitled as anyone to have a parade; long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

To weigh in, seeing as I kind of started this whole freakshow side topic, you can rest assured the bus passenger was referring to all LGBTs, "the gays", and not just those in elaborate costume (not that there would be justification in labelling them as such either), hence why my friend (who heard the conversation, tone and context) was momentarily offended (and moreso disappointed) and in turn, I and my friend who he related the story to.

And no, the bus passenger didn't mean it as some sort of post ironic, backhanded, badge of honour compliment either (if some take pleasure in being called a freak...even when the derogatory context was unambiguous, then that really confuses me!!:confused:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Breaking News: Some people don't like "the gays"!

Let's not get sidetracked by the comments of one person on his phone. A lot worse has been said in the past, and if this is the worst thing somebody heard on the day of the parade, then we've come a long way. I myself did not hear a single bad thing on the day, as long as you don't count the random bible-quote protester on Lombard Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

whirlpool wrote: »
    If you're going to get offended by the opinions of everyone on the planet, you're in for a very rough ride. Bigots are never going away.
    Bit flippant, I don't think I mentioned I was offended. It was more what you said here;
    Is it possible he was referring to what you can see in the photo album posted above?
    It was indeed yourself that made such a connection, not the man on the bus in question. That's what I wanted to touch on. I am not the sort to flap my arms and get oversensitive. Not a big deal either way.

Aard wrote: »
    I myself did not hear a single bad thing on the day, as long as you don't count the random bible-quote protester on Lombard Street.
    I had heard talk of a protest and thought it was going to be a big group of people like that American family that flew over not too long ago, but it was a little anticlimatic. Most of us just smiled and walked by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

Why are they a freakshow?
    Some dress-up (some don't), have a good time, don't cause hassle for people, and make it inclusive for all.
    They are as entitled as anyone to have a parade; long may it continue.
    because of what they are,freaks

sniperman wrote: »
    because of what they are,freaks
    Now this is a bigoted person.

A quick check of his posting history suggest that he's well into his guns.
    Could he be a member of a gun club? Perhaps he could be described as a gun nut? Maybe a gun freak?
    Due to being in a freakshow, perhaps his rights should be infringed upon and the weapons removed from his possession and banned from attended gun clubs?

Personally I think he has the right to carry out his pastime as he wishes. It's his life, and as long as he's not hurting anyone, then how he lives it is his own business. Something he'd appreciate.
    Pity he doesn't have the same outlook towards others in life.

Advertisement