Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Pride 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

I'll be around for the early Pride stuff anyway, but just putting it out there for a post-Pride meetup in early July ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Daith

I'll probably be marching in the parade but if people are around after the parade then could arrange something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

What banner are you marching under Daith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Actually, are many folks marching? I'm marshalling. Snore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Possibly marching but not sure yet!

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    What banner are you marching under Daith?

I think it's under the Gay Mens Health Service
    Looking forward to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Is women in thongs ok? Ridiculous.

I don't particularly fancy seeing men or women in thongs, gay or straight.

Tbh though, it wouldn't stop me bringing a child to the parade. As has already been said, kids ddon't associate boobs or bums with sex. They're just body parts.

I don't care if someone wants to wear assless chaps, or a thong.

I won't lie, I'd do a double take. But I also do a double take regularly in work, when I see how many teenage girls go around in practically assless shorts. No different really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well considering the amount of girls walking around the IFSC office district in Dublin this week in bikinis after swimming in the canal, the outfits worn on Pride will be considered tame.

Only people who want to be offended will be offended. The parade would be pretty boring if everyone turned up in jeans and shirts. Long live diversity...and that includes clothing choices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I had been kicking around the idea of asking people on the parade - if they were walking with/under MarriagEqualty or NOISE banner - to wear a mask bearing the likeness of either DQ, BP or JW (whichever the choice). Imagine the effect of the above photo-image on front pages, dozens of SSM opponents walking/carrying Pro-SSM banners on Pride.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I had been kicking around the idea of asking people on the parade - if they were walking with/under MarriagEqualty or NOISE banner - to wear a mask bearing the likeness of either DQ, BP or JW (whichever the choice). Imagine the effect of the above photo-image on front pages, dozens of SSM opponents walking/carrying Pro-SSM banners on Pride.
    I only see that as serving their own egos to be honest and giving them popularity - ignoring them does far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Anyone at Glitterbomb last night? Good fun with all the pride decore going on. Hopefully all the festivities will be equally good ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Best to ignore these people , as the saying goes "no such thing as bad publicity".
    Ignore ignore ignore,let them spout all they want,just ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I might travel up alright, I won't be drinking though, oh ****e!

What day and time is the march?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Gathering at approx 1230/1300 next Saturday 28th June top of Parnell Square, next to Hugh Lane Gallery.

Gathering at approx 1230/1300 next Saturday 28th June top of Parnell Square, next to Hugh Lane Gallery.

It won't start till 2pm though. Having saying that there's a nice buzz around the area.

Looks like I'll be joining the Dublin Bears so keep an eye out for guy in black/yellow polo and urban camo!

What's the story regarding not giving key LGBT groups a few minutes on stage to speak?

https://www.facebook.com/DublinPride?sk=reviews

If what I'm reading is true, I suddenly feel a bit sour about marching...not sure that's the kind of parade ideology that we should be striving for.

Not sure if it's the same story this year? Can someone clarify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cydoniac wrote: »
    What's the story regarding not giving key LGBT groups a few minutes on stage to speak?

If what I'm reading is true, I suddenly feel a bit sour about marching...not sure that's the kind of parade ideology that we should be striving for.

There was a big hoo-ha about that last year- I'm trying to remember what was told to us at the stewards training a few weeks ago but I'm 99.99% sure there's community speeches this year again.

Also- I made a Pride playlist if anyone's interested. Fave tracks from my fave queers. Enjoy!

Clicky linky for tuuuuuuuuuuunes!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Just to say Dyke Night tonight was amazing.....Im spinning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Doubt they are that stupid to do that again after last year

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Was out in town last night. Avided the gaybourhood like a plague. If Temple Bar is what pride celebration has come to, I'm pretty happy to stay away from it...
    Paddy's Day 2.0

Given my previous posts on the subject of the parade, I thought I'd better post here to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the parade yesterday. The highlights included all of the tech companies with their floats, the multitude of small local groups from around the country, the various sports groups, the Garda band, and politicians standing behind their banners. It was a really family friendly day out, and I'm glad to say that the tone of the parade has changed for the better since around a decade ago.

Barna77 wrote: »
    Was out in town last night. Avided the gaybourhood like a plague. If Temple Bar is what pride celebration has come to, I'm pretty happy to stay away from it...
    Paddy's Day 2.0
    Huh? The party was on Capel St was respectable and good behaviour by all. Ignore the young wans queueing half the block for The George...

Would just like to add that your assessment of the evening is both untrue and unfair to the organisers who kept the beer tent out of Merrion Sq from what I saw and the march (and week) had a very family focused atmosphere. So what if Temple Bar was bad last night, it's like that every Saturday for goodness sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 skinner717

Barna77 wrote: »
    Paddy's Day 2.0

have to agree with that...town was a complete shambles all day

Temple Bar was a mess all day, but I don't think it had anything to do with the parade. All the pond-life of Dublin seemed to congregate there drinking, probably due to the great weather and also there was a concert on in Kilmainham.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing to be honest. The parade and scheduled events were great and the atmosphere was pretty positive at the start but later on it just seemed like town just fell apart. It seemed much worse than the average saturday night to me anyway. I'm glad people had a lot of fun and overall it was a good day but I was disappointed by what I saw last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

I felt there was a nasty atmosphere around town.

There were loads of skangers around drinking ( from cans) looking for trouble IMO, I was outside the Front Lounge (the back lounge) and the amount of skangers wlaking up and down through the crowd was nasty,

Thankfully there was room inside the FL itself and went in where I and others felt safer .

However having said that(I just remembered) there were a few skangers in the FL with their "mots" .

One fella in the toilets tried to skip the queue then when he was in there he kept shouting to his mate "scaldy pants scaldy pants " and laughing .

Didn't like it at all
    I hope OUR day will not turn into the mess that is st patricks day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I had an absolute blast.
    To think I was on the back of a bike in 1993 leading the Pride march as Dykes on a Bike the year homosexuality was decriminalized
    image.jpg
    and just after O'Connell Bridge we were stopped by a Guard in uniform and told to get off the bike.
    We were having a bit of fun and a kind of joke as international marches are often lead by a large group of Dykes on Bikes. Ann the woman who owned the bike and an activist herself had already got Guarda permission for a vehicle in the Parade and had the document on her to prove it but the Guard stood in front of us and said we still had to get off the bike and go to the side. We said No and as we had a few thousand people behind us we reckoned we would be all right but there was no way we were getting off the bike.
    So that year 1993 homosexuality was legalised and this year 2014 we have this leading the Parade. My little head is enjoying the turn around.
    E1BF3959966EE66612BA9BD1C63F_h416_w442_m2_q80_cnDpbBHCH.jpg

So see all the time gradual changes are happening and we dont always see them.
    Happy Pride Everybody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    I felt there was a nasty atmosphere around town.

There were loads of skangers around drinking ( from cans) looking for trouble IMO, I was outside the Front Lounge (the back lounge) and the amount of skangers wlaking up and down through the crowd was nasty,

Thankfully there was room inside the FL itself and went in where I and others felt safer .

However having said that(I just remembered) there were a few skangers in the FL with their "mots" .

One fella in the toilets tried to skip the queue then when he was in there he kept shouting to his mate "scaldy pants scaldy pants " and laughing .

Didn't like it at all
    I hope OUR day will not turn into the mess that is st patricks day

Half the people last night were drinking out of cans at some point. I'm sure them "scangers" had a great night.

I felt Panti's street party was a complete joke - no outdoor bar and bizarre security arrangements. Only half the street was sectioned off which was odd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I can't stand parades for the most part - I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than stand in town and watch the Paddy's Day parade. Pride is a completely different story though.

Yesterday was some of the best fun I've had in ages. Some friends of mine weren't able to make it so I ended up marching on my own and it made no difference, I still had a lot of fun. Great to see so many marching and so many people watching on and supporting, I really felt so proud to be part of it all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I enjoyed the music on the streets a lot but there were so many drunk and threatening teenagers. Was anyone around Exchange St/the Czech Inn on Saturday evening? There was a great DJ playing, the atmosphere was great and then these pished up boys got on top of the buildings. It was fun for a wee bit but then one started making out he was going to jump. It was horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Went my first Pride on Saturday - perfect weather, great buzz and loved the atmosphere in the lanes outside Nealons and Pantibar where we had a ball - everyone in great spirits and we did not observe any of the more troublesome shenanigans that seemed to take place in other parts of town as noted above.

One setback (and an eye opener for me) is that one of my friends was on the bus into town to join us and he overheard this guy (aged about 30) in the seat in front of him on the phone to someone and Pride came up. He finished his conversation saying "text me when that freakshow is over and we'll head out then". My friend rightly so was taken aback and disappointed. Sad that in 2014, that someone felt the need to say that out loud but maybe that's why we still have Pride and will continue to have Pride until it really is irrelevant (ie when people don't and won't feel the need to make such derogatory remarks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Art Deko wrote: »
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Went my first Pride on Saturday - perfect weather, great buzz and loved the atmosphere in the lanes outside Nealons and Pantibar where we had a ball - everyone in great spirits and we did not observe any of the more troublesome shenanigans that seemed to take place in other parts of town as noted above.

One setback (and an eye opener for me) is that one of my friends was on the bus into town to join us and he overheard this guy (aged about 30) in the seat in front of him on the phone to someone and Pride came up. He finished his conversation saying "text me when that freakshow is over and we'll head out then". My friend rightly so was taken aback and disappointed. Sad that in 2014, that someone felt the need to say that out loud but maybe that's why we still have Pride and will continue to have Pride until it really is irrelevant (ie when people don't and won't feel the need to make such derogatory remarks).

Is it possible he was referring to what you can see in the photo album posted above?

The sexuality of the people dressed up as.... freaks... may well be entirely irrelevant. There is a large presence in the parade of people dressed up in costume. Nothing to do with them being gay whatsoever. And, also, there are plenty of heterosexual transvestites - it's not a gay thing.

As well as that, there will always be bigots. In the year 3014, there will still be bigots. Keep that in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

whirlpool wrote: »
    Is it possible he was referring to what you can see in the photo album posted above?

The sexuality of the people dressed up as.... freaks... may well be entirely irrelevant. There is a large presence in the parade of people dressed up in costume. Nothing to do with them being gay whatsoever. And, also, there are plenty of heterosexual transvestites - it's not a gay thing.

As well as that, there will always be bigots. In the year 3014, there will still be bigots. Keep that in mind.

You know drag queens and guys in leather aren't freaks, yeah?

So even if he was referring to them it would be disgustingly bigoted.

• Advertisement

Regardless of who he was referring to (gay people, straight people, tranvestites, couples, politicians) by calling people a freakshow its still bigotry. Keep that in mind.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

As someone who identifies strongly with a group in said album and marched with them, I think you should step back and adjust your perceptions. I am very much 'average and normal' in the typical sense. I don't want the post to come across as 'give me validation!!!!', just to remind you that what you might consider 'freaky' or out of the norm, is very much an ordinary part of life to me and many others and certainly not weird. You think a guy in leather constitutes a freakshow? Or a 'queen? Nope.

floggg wrote: »

Regardless of who he was referring to (gay people, straight people, tranvestites, couples, politicians) by calling people a freakshow its still bigotry. Keep that in mind.

I didn't say any different.
    As someone who identifies strongly with a group in said album and marched with them, I think you should step back and adjust your perceptions. I am very much 'average and normal' in the typical sense. I don't want the post to come across as 'give me validation!!!!', just to remind you that what you might consider 'freaky' or out of the norm, is very much an ordinary part of life to me and many others and certainly not weird. You think a guy in leather constitutes a freakshow? Or a 'queen? Nope.

Eh, hang on a second. You've all conveniently ignored the people dressed up in various costumes that have absolutely nothing to do with transvestites or leather. Is there a particular reason you all chose to ignore the varying costumes in that photo album that had nothing to do with being gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

whirlpool said
    you all chose to ignore the varying costumes in that photo album that had nothing to do with being gay?

Ive had another look at the album and it looks like once again I cant even see straight.

floggg wrote: »

NONE of these costumes are guys in leather or are simply cross-dressing. They are dressed up in full costumes completely unrelated to their sexuality.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486331049351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486331734351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486332314351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486332579351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486333504351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486333984351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486334724351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486336034351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486335629351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486337629351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486341909351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486344674351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486346989351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

I could go on and on with these posts. Those are people who could easily be gay or straight. The comment about the parade being a "freakshow" did not necessarily refer to the sexuality of those marching, but the costumes that are used every year - which, no, are not solely cross-dressers or leather-wearers, as you all conveniently chose to claim so that you could claim to be offended.

Don't be looking for things to be offended by.

And I personally don't have a problem with the word "freak." A lot of people enjoy the word / description.

But don't go off topic. Leather-wearing and drag queens are only a small part of the parade, and a lot of people in the parade are also straight, so you don't get to decide that the comment about it being a "freakshow" was about sexuality rather than the wide range of costumes on display.

• Advertisement

Eh, hang on a second. You've all conveniently ignored the people dressed up in various costumes that have absolutely nothing to do with transvestites or leather. Is there a particular reason you all chose to ignore the varying costumes in that photo album that had nothing to do with being gay?
    NONE of these costumes are guys in leather or are simply cross-dressing. They are dressed up in full costumes completely unrelated to their sexuality.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486331049351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486331734351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486332314351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486332579351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486333504351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486333984351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486334724351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486336034351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486335629351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486337629351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486341909351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486344674351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152486346989351&set=a.10152486330304351.1073741864.528849350&type=3&l=65c82eaabc&theater

I could go on and on with these posts. Those are people who could easily be gay or straight. The comment about the parade being a "freakshow" did not necessarily refer to the sexuality of those marching, but the costumes that are used every year - which, no, are not solely cross-dressers or leather-wearers, as you all conveniently chose to claim so that you could claim to be offended.

Don't be looking for things to be offended by.

And I personally don't have a problem with the word "freak." A lot of people enjoy the word / description.

But don't go off topic. Leather-wearing and drag queens are only a small part of the parade. And a lot of people in the parade are also straight.

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make at all.

Terry Pratchet

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make at all.

Man on bus refers to the parade as a "freakshow."

Person feels offended because he decides that man on bus means "gay people = freaks."

Man on bus was referring to a parade which involves a wide range of people dressing up in costumes.

People dressing up in a wide range of costumes does not equal gay people.

People dressing up in a wide range of costumes does not equal leather and drag queens.

Yet the people who responded to my post with hostility chose to decide that the gay pride parade was solely leather wearers and drag queens, and therefore that that must be what the man on the bus was "attacking."

There is a LOT more to the parade than leather wearers and drag queens - a lot more which has nothing to do with sexuality.

Finally, there's nothing wrong with being a freak. Plenty wear it as a badge of honour.

If you're going to get offended by the opinions of everyone on the planet, you're in for a very rough ride. Bigots are never going away.

Man on bus refers to the parade as a "freakshow."

Person feels offended because he decides that man on bus means "gay people = freaks."

Man on bus was referring to a parade which involves a wide range of people dressing up in costumes.

People dressing up in a wide range of costumes does not equal gay people.

People dressing up in a wide range of costumes does not equal leather and drag queens.

Yet the people who responded to my post with hostility chose to decide that the gay pride parade was solely leather wearers and drag queens, and therefore that that must be what the man on the bus was "attacking."

There is a LOT more to the parade than leather wearers and drag queens - a lot more which has nothing to do with sexuality.

Right ok so because the man on the bus is referring to a couple of people wearing costumes who may or may not be gay then he is not a bigot.... that really is some stretch.

Nah

It doesn't matter who is dressed up. It doesn't matter that there are people in costumes.

It's bigotry and its offensive. End. Of. Story.

And your suggestions that the people in the photos were a freakshow is very offensive as well.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I'm with whirlpool.

And that's why I don't like the parade and why i never do it. And no intention on the future.

If you're going to get offended by the opinions of everyone on the planet, you're in for a very rough ride. Bigots are never going away.

It's also very patronising and condescending to tell people what they should and shouldn't find offensive.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It's also very patronising and condescending to tell people what they should and shouldn't find offensive.

You seem to be the one telling people what is and isn't offensive.

You seem to be the one telling people what is and isn't offensive.

No. Theres a big difference. I am telling people what I find offensive. I'm not telling people they should find it offensive.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

No. Theres a big difference. I am telling people what I find offensive. I'm not telling people they should find it offensive.
    It's bigotry and its offensive. End. Of. Story.
    You don't know if it was bigotry, but you are telling people that.it.is.
    You don't know what he meant by freaks, yet you are throwing around the label 'bigot'.

Maybe the person did mean that he thought that those in attendance were freaks due to their sexuality; the point being made by whirlpool (at least the way I read it) was that there was no certainty that was the case, so jumping to the conclusion that he was automatically a bigot was being unfair.
    Judging a person by their sexuality, or a single comment/word, isn't the best way to label someone.

You don't know if it was bigotry, but you are telling people that.it.is.
    You don't know what he meant by freaks, yet you are throwing around the label 'bigot'.

Maybe the person did mean that he thought that those in attendance were freaks due to their sexuality; the point being made by whirlpool (at least the way I read it) was that there was no certainty that was the case, so jumping to the conclusion that he was automatically a bigot was being unfair.
    Judging a person by their sexuality, or a single comment/word, isn't the best way to label someone.

I think it's perfectly obvious what is meant by calling the parade a freakshow.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

I thought pride was brilliant. Seeing the garda band and everything in the parade made me very proud, and even if i dont like politicians in this country at the moment to see so many of them in the parade was great. Gay rights have come a long way and I was great to see everybody out supporting us.

The only trouble i saw was around Central Bank on Dame Street where it seemed to me to be all under 18's getting drunk. The Gardai should of had more of a presence there as to me it was just young people taking advantage of pride but i suppose you can't blame them, we have all been that age before and made fools of ourselves.

I heard that a garda report for the day and night said that disturbances were no more or less than a typical Saturday night in town and the overwhelming majority of them were from temple bar which was not connected to the pride festivities.

It was my first time actually being in the parade and was absolutely delighted i did it. Brilliant day and night and look forward to it every year.

P.S. if someone refers to a LGBT pride event as a freakshow its a given he is not just referring his comments to drag queens and leather men, which in my opinion are not freaks at all. Live and let live and get off your high horse. If anybody has the cheek and/or balls to call me a freak or a member of a freakshow that person is a bigot, end of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement