Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Raam wrote: »
    Never timed it. I usually top up the juice before it runs out.

Did it last the WW200?
    Do you use the cadence & HR monitors too?
    Are all the questions annoying you yet? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

lafors wrote: »
    Did it last the WW200?
    Do you use the cadence & HR monitors too?
    Are all the questions annoying you yet? ;)

Yes
    Yes
    Not yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

How long does it last from full charge to dead?
    With the HR & Cadence sensor?
    And without? (I presume they drain it faster)

.......I still have the CRC tab open in my browser ;)

I just ordered one:D

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    I just ordered one:D

Congratulations. You are now a fred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

How does it work on 24 hour rides?
    Lumen wrote: »

Lumen's right, or one of the mobile chargers (maplin have em). Then you can use AA cells, and use one of the spare light mounts to stick it to your stem. Works well
    How long does it last from full charge to dead?
    With the HR & Cadence sensor?
    And without? (I presume they drain it faster)

.......I still have the CRC tab open in my browser ;)

I got 14.5 hrs on one charge, and it wasn't complaining (the 300 from a few weeks back)
    That was with HRM and Cadence sensor on

I'm going to convert my FCR1 to drop bars, so I got a list of what I need off Mr.Skeffington (Thanks again).

The list is what I need but as you'd expect like the rest of you I like more than what I need, so I've done up my list and here's what I've ordered.....don't add it up, I don't want to know the price :)

Drop Bars:
    Ritchey Superlogic Carbon II Bars
    ORDERED

Gear Cables:
    Shimano XT Gear Cable Set
    ORDERED

Brake Cables:
    Shimano 105 Road Brake Cable Set
    Will get them next time I'm over near Tallaght

Bar Tape:
    Deda Handlebar Tape - Blue
    ORDERED

Now my big decision is the shifters, do I go for....
    Shifters:
    Shimano Ultegra 6510 9 Speed Sti shifters @ €209.41
    OR
    Shimano 105 9 Speed Sti shifters @ €178.00
    Well?????

Now my big decision is the shifters, do I go for....
    Shifters:
    Shimano Ultegra 6510 9 Speed Sti shifters @ €209.41
    OR
    Shimano 105 9 Speed Sti shifters @ €178.00
    Well?????

Neither. Go for 10 speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Neither. Go for 10 speed!

+1 - if you're gonna go, go all the way!

LINK

then you'll need a 10spd cassette LINK

Maybe there's something in this 'the boards made me buy it' thing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Oh no I just the PBK brochure through the post today. Not only that but they delivered to my home and work. Printed brochure better than looking at it online.

Must..............be.............strong...........and.........resist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Congratulations. You are now a fred.

I've been a Fred since I started cycling last year and I'm very proud of it. Every now and again I like to reassure myself that I'm still a Fred, so it's important to buy these little pleasures.

Any ideas on what I should buy next?

CheGuedara wrote: »
    +1 - if you're gonna go, go all the way!

LINK

then you'll need a 10spd cassette LINK

Maybe there's something in this 'the boards made me buy it' thing....

Hmmm, that would add about €200 to the total price.
    I'd be getting into the selling my bike and just buy a new one territory there, don't really want to do that.
    IF I did it, I'd need to replace my front & rear dérailleur plus my chain aswell!

Nah I think I'll stick with converting as a 9spd, then sell it on when I do want to upgrade and buy a full carbon ;)

So should I go for Ultegra or the 105 shifters I had linked to earlier?

Oh and I've been trying to order some Schwalbe Ultremo R Evolution in blue, but can't find them in stock anywhere. Any ideas where I could get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So should I go for Ultegra or the 105 shifters I had linked to earlier?

If you're going 9sp, what's wrong with Tiagra?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd say 105 or Tiagra would do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Fair enough +1 on 105/tiagra if sticking with 9spd so - no sense in going to greater expense if there's a new machine in sight not so far down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Just to throw a spanner in the works.
    If you can see yourself moving to a roadbike from a hybrid, then if it was me I wouldnt change anything with your bike, but put the cash aside to get a nice roadbike.

Any money spent now, is money that you wont really get back on a resale - better to bide your time and wait for a new bike.

Also, having seen the bike on the ROK, why bother change the bars - its a fine bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ROK ON wrote: »
    If you can see yourself moving to a roadbike from a hybrid, then if it was me I wouldnt change anything with your bike, but put the cash aside to get a nice roadbike.

Any money spent now, is money that you wont really get back on a resale - better to bide your time and wait for a new bike.

Also, having seen the bike on the ROK, why bother change the bars - its a fine bike.

Good point. It all depends on budget. If you see yourself buying a road bike in the next year, then save your pennies and at them to the new bike fund. If you want something to do you for a while, then upgrade it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

hrmm 4 Boxes Caffeinated Forest Fruits gels @ 111euro.....probably should have erased the cc number from my brain.....

Four boxes? Jesus. Are you planning to live on them or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

el tonto wrote: »
    Four boxes? Jesus. Are you planning to live on them or something?

Have you not met the guy? He is part fly or something, he only eats sugar. It's also why he talks a mile a minute, I think he is permanently on a sugar high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Have you not met the guy? He is part fly or something, he only eats sugar. It's also why he talks a mile a minute, I think he is permanently on a sugar high.

On the epic boards spin when we stopped for lunch after 90k, after coming over Slieve Maan and Shay Elliott, everyone else was ravenous and tucking into food, even though we had only taken a cake stop 10k before, and Neetch ate nowt.

Actually, after greasing up his hands trying to fix a chain niggle, I think I did see him lick his fingers.

• Advertisement

lukester wrote: »
    On the epic boards spin when we stopped for lunch after 90k, after coming over Slieve Maan and Shay Elliott, everyone else was ravenous and tucking into food, even though we had only taken a cake stop 10k before, and Neetch ate nowt.

Actually, after greasing up his hands trying to fix a chain niggle, I think I did see him lick his fingers.

I tried his sugar diet on the ROK, made me feel crap by the end. Waffles are the best on the bike food, easy to digest (no thank you mr.sandwich) and coated in syrup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I tried his sugar diet on the ROK, made me feel crap by the end. Waffles are the best on the bike food, easy to digest (no thank you mr.sandwich) and coated in syrup.

I love a good waffle, me, but find my pro no-hands riding technique isn't quite up to pouring syrup on the move.

Hrm, that makes sense. I seem to recall him living on coke (the drink) during college too.

Dónal wrote: »
    Hrm, that makes sense. I seem to recall him living on coke (the drink) during college too.

And you never thought to stage an intervention? Tut tut, the man has a sugar problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jay Miyabhai

which Jersy ur talking abt...?:eek:

Good point. It all depends on budget. If you see yourself buying a road bike in the next year, then save your pennies and at them to the new bike fund. If you want something to do you for a while, then upgrade it.

I want to change the bars for more hand positions, my shoulders/neck was killing me after the ROK. I was thinking of changing the bike soon but if I'm honest I can't see that happening for a couple of years at least seeing as we've a little money pit on the way very soon ;)
    I'd say 105 or Tiagra would do the trick.
    CheGuedara wrote: »
    Fair enough +1 on 105/tiagra if sticking with 9spd so - no sense in going to greater expense if there's a new machine in sight not so far down the road

I'm thinking 105 myself, no point in having Ultegra shifters when the rest of my gearset is 105.
    I hope you're ashamed of yourselves for talking me out of spending more money ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

since I have discovered chain reaction cycles last week....

x1 cannondale morhpis jacket
    x2 continental slick tires
    x1 set selaskin gloves for when the weather starts getting cold again

and today... Blackburn quadrant + mars 3.0 rear light combo kit. (for when the weather starts getting dark, replacing the cheap set I picked up when I got the bike just to have something)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

And you never thought to stage an intervention? Tut tut, the man has a sugar problem!

if you didn't let your sugar level's dip on the ROK you'd have been super too!...anyway didn't you have a sambo on the ROK and get a cramp after it?

i got 4 boxes, cause i was getting em off manufacturer and cheapest way.... but i do love my gels....

This is the guilty admissions thread, right? Forgive me fathers, for I have sinned.

I just got my custom Oakley Flak Jackets through, ordered from the UK website. They are intended to match my latest helmet and jersey combo. Man, I feel vain.

That's "four ten" engraved on the lenses. :)

FWIW, they worked out cheaper than retail in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

This is the guilty admissions thread, right? Forgive me fathers, for I have sinned.

I just got my custom Oakley Radars through, ordered from the UK website. They are intended to match my latest helmet and jersey combo. Man, I feel vain.

Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I just got my custom Oakley Radars through, ordered from the UK website. They are intended to match my latest helmet and jersey combo. Man, I feel vain.

How much they set you back?

Ryaner wrote: »
    How much they set you back?

£145.24

Hawt

Erratum: they're Flak Jackets, not Radars.

So, the "ridiculously stylish" eyewar arms race continues.

@Raam, are you going to roll the dice on those outrageous specs you were eyeing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am wondering, can you get this kind of eyewear with power for short-sightedness? I can't wear contact lenses unfortunately.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I am wondering, can you get this kind of eyewear with power for short-sightedness? I can't wear contact lenses unfortunately.

I think, but am not sure, that Rudy Project do glasses like this. However, the only RP lenses worth having are the ImpactX's, the standard ones are not shatterproof (as Tunney discovered recently). It can be quite difficult to find ones with the ImpactX lenses in a decent frame and good colour.

Or maybe something like this.

I am also shortsighted but use daily disposable contact lenses, although this isn't an option for some.

I just got my custom Oakley Flak Jackets through, ordered from the UK website. They are intended to match my latest helmet and jersey combo. Man, I feel vain.

Jaysus I almost bought those the other week!

So, the "ridiculously stylish" eyewar arms race continues.

@Raam, are you going to roll the dice on those outrageous specs you were eyeing up.

Would like to try a similar pair on first for size. But some day... soon

• Advertisement

Would like to try a similar pair on first for size. But some day... soon

I'm not sure whether you're talking about the Oakleys, but Sunglasses Hut have a decent selection of those, albeit in silly colours (grey FFS!).

My pink costume hasn't arrived yet :cool:

@Lumen. Tasty shades. Next time I see you on a spin I wudn't mind trying them on.
    I have never been able to find Oakleys that fit - they always feel very tight. My glasses for my shortsightedness are oakley frames and are just too tight.

On a related Cr Card topic I showed remarkable constraint. I came close to spending 480 on Rapha today. I held back due to the the crazy 15euro delivery charge. So I have emailed rapha and asked them to waive the charge and I will then buy the merchandise. I will let ye know if they get back to me.

Admirable restraint ROK_ON.

God, you'd swear we were buying Manolo Blahniks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I just bought some Brand-X Handlebar tape. So there.

Admirable restraint ROK_ON.

God, you'd swear we were buying Manolo Blahniks

More of a Jimmy Choo man meself.

penexpers wrote: »
    I just bought some Brand-X Handlebar tape. So there.

Excellent, let us know how easy it is to keep clean.

Cinelli Cork is a crap-magnet, Fizik Microtex perfect so far (but expensive when you balls it up!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Fizik Microtex perfect so far (but expensive when you balls it up!).

That's why Brand-X is great. **** it up and it costs practically nothing.

Like the shades lumen!
    I prefer to risk losing my eyes during a crash to wear my RayBan RB3268's.
    Well its either them or my prescription 3inch thick specsavers shades. I'm blind, very blind!!

Raging, I've missed the delivery guy for my Richey Carbons earlier...what type of delivery man delivers after 2pm???? He left a note to say he'd be back tomorrow. For god sake he didn't even give an approximate time :mad: GRRRRR!!

More of a Jimmy Choo man meself.

El Tonto - Carrie
    Lumen - Sammantha
    ROK_ON - Miranda
    Raam - Charlotte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stripped my drivetrain down last night to clean/service it and I found the BB is screwed and then the rear mech pretty much fell apart in my hands and can't be put back together.

So now I have to (awful I know) buy a new rear mech and BB. And because I can't wait for an online delivery, I'll have to go to a LBS. My poor wallet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

seamus wrote: »
    Stripped my drivetrain down last night to clean/service it and I found the BB is screwed and then the rear mech pretty much fell apart in my hands and can't be put back together.

So now I have to (awful I know) buy a new rear mech and BB. And because I can't wait for an online delivery, I'll have to go to a LBS. My poor wallet...

chainreactioncycles will do 24hr parcel force delivery for a couple of quid extra, I order yesterday afternoon and have the stuff this morning.

Might be worth considering if your LBS is much more expensive and if you can wait a day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement