Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Hey everyone. Thought I'd drop by and see how everyone is getting on.

Having a few bad weeks myself. In the Psych Monday, so hopefully I get a bit of relief.

Some facts are fuzzing in my head, and I hope she can clear it up.

Hope everyone has a better day tomorrow.
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

been under the weather the past few days and was a bit work stressed about a deadline. So I'm trying to go easy on myself cos I feel a bit overwhelmed or something. The weird thing is,I haven't experienced "the dread" in a while. If anything, I'm a bit numb. Am doing a good bit of exercise so maybe that's channeling any nervous energy I have. Also, I like the fact that I'm distracted for that 1 hour a day or so that I've been exercising.

Had a list of stupid annoying things to get through today, but am working through them. Was berating myself for not getting things done sooner. The deadline was only a prelim thing, I'm still working on the project for another few days and was a bit jumpy any time I got an email about it, but feedback has been helpful. Not sure why I'm fearing the worst all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I have zero drive in me at the moment. I'm not really down nor am I particularly anxious thankfully. I just feel kinda "why bother".

I have stuff that really needs to get done too. I've always been lazy but I could always muster the power to get through the procrastination.

Anyone else feel like this at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thinking today how I went from a beautiful child, to a cheeky teenager to a hideous man. Feel close to the end again, there's literally no where for me to go insofar as I don't have the will myself so anyone who can help me is moot.

Chiquitita wrote: »
    How did today go triangles?

Sorry for replying late, it was all a blur, can barely remember what she said to me. Pretty sure she's going to organise an appointment with someone and they'll ring me within a few weeks. Hate how slow this is. Also regret not coming forward sooner because I'll be 18 in two months and my problems probably aren't adult enough. Have a biology mock tomorrow but can't get my head around anything, I've been staring at the wall for a good 45 minutes. Don't see the point anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Sorry to hear you're feelin sh*t jimmy. Is there anything that you can do that you would normally enjoy to keep you distracted?

We've all felt the same so you're not on your own. Talk to us!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I have zero drive in me at the moment. I'm not really down nor am I particularly anxious thankfully. I just feel kinda "why bother".

I have stuff that really needs to get done too. I've always been lazy but I could always muster the power to get through the procrastination.

Anyone else feel like this at times?

Having this issue so much lately. Did an entire assignment the day it was due this week, haven't done that since first year!
    Sorry for replying late, it was all a blur, can barely remember what she said to me. Pretty sure she's going to organise an appointment with someone and they'll ring me within a few weeks. Hate how slow this is. Also regret not coming forward sooner because I'll be 18 in two months and my problems probably aren't adult enough. Have a biology mock tomorrow but can't get my head around anything, I've been staring at the wall for a good 45 minutes. Don't see the point anymore.

I highly doubt any professional will class your problems as 'not adult enough'. If they do then they're not worth your time. I'm sorry you feel **** but well done on seeking help. Had my first problems at the age of sixteen and it's taken me almost six flipping years to seek help. Granted I haven't had any issues for a few years now and my depressive moods/episodes/whatever you call them were never so severe a few years ago but it's still not something oyu should ignore in hopes it goes away itself.
    Anyway good luck with the appointment when it comes and good luck with you mocks.

I also agree with banana. Never think that your thoughts and worries dont warrant attention. Everyone is different. I'm 101% sure that the reason for my anxiety/depression, noone else bats an eyelid as it doesnt affect them. But it makes ME anxious and thats why it needed to be addressed.

I hope the mocks go ok for you. My teachers during the leaving cert never once told us that once we reached 23 we could apply as a mature student, so if college isnt for you right now, dont feel pressured into doing something you're not happy with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

chiquita banana :pac::pac:

Haha...we could like take overrrrr the threaddddd :D

• Advertisement

rwg wrote: »
    chiquita banana :pac::pac:
    Haha...we could like take overrrrr the threaddddd :D

Ye are wild! :D

Ahahah yaaaay my own thread!
    My teachers during the leaving cert never once told us that once we reached 23 we could apply as a mature student, so if college isnt for you right now, dont feel pressured into doing something you're not happy with

As someone about to get a degree in subject I have no interest in and only ended up my CAO due to panicking and the insane pressure put on me by school this is good to keep in mind. I thought any chance of a career was gone if I didn't do well in my leaving (I hated school so there was no way I would repeat) and didn't go to college straight away and it's so untrue. There's plenty of routes into education and plenty of time to figure out what you want to do.

Gee Banana what do you want to do tonight...?

Gee Banana what do you want to do tonight...?

Same thing we do every night Chiquitita, try and take the world (and this thread :P).

(cue pinky and the brain theme)

Not long out from the doctor's now. She said she does think I have mild depression and she said she'd like me to try counseling and see if that helps. She said to speak to one of the college counselors and then if I'm not improving we'll look at medication. She also said if I don't like or get on with the college counsellors that she'll refer me to another service but as the service has a 6-8 week waiting list she'd prefer me to try the college first. When she said mild I was surprised to be honest but she said because it's intermittent and not constant it's classified as mild.

I also spoke to her about the compulsions and again she said counselling and CBT would be her first course of action as well since they don't hugely affect my life. While she said seemed to understand things like depression I felt it was pretty obvious she didn't know much about OCD. She kept mentioning like hand washing which is only related to one type of OCD and even used the word quirks when referring to compulsions. She said she doesn't know if it's OCD but I would have some form of compulsive disorder.

Overall I'm more or less happy with how it went. I feel a lot of doctors just give people medication and leave it at that whereas she said straight out she doesn't believe in medicating people just for the sake of it. She recommended a few books and to try things like meditation and yoga and I felt like I was taken seriously when I talked about my depression which, when I went to a youth counseling service before I didn't at all. I'm unsure about the compulsions though, she seemed to see it as as long as they weren't stopping me leaving the house that they weren't interfering hugely with my life whereas I feel like they're taking up most of my time. I suppose though I can talk about that with the counselor and she might be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LanaFey

Starting counselling next week, at last :) and I'm due a repeat visit to the doctor.

I've actually had a really good week- my last 'bad' day was last Friday. A whole week of being able to sleep, function, no panic attacks, black moods or crying... it's been amazing. To the point where I'm now panicky that the counsellor is going to send me away for wasting her time and not being anxious enough. Ha.

However I'm feeling some anxiety involving another person today which I don't think is going to sort itself out until I get a chance to talk to them in person :( this is the kind of thing I'd like to address in the counselling sessions. It's very frustrating not knowing what mundane, everyday thing will send my brain into a tailspin.

LanaFey wrote: »
    However I'm feeling some anxiety involving another person today which I don't think is going to sort itself out until I get a chance to talk to them in person :( this is the kind of thing I'd like to address in the counselling sessions. It's very frustrating not knowing what mundane, everyday thing will send my brain into a tailspin.

Uh I know the feeling. Had days where I'm doing really well, feeling great in myself and then something silly will upset me and I'll end feeling awful or crying. It's horrible.

Hey quick question (God I really am dominating the thread the past few days, I don't mean to!), as far as I can tell the only way to get a definite diagnosis of OCD or any related disorders is by seeing a psychiatrist. Is it possible to request a referral from my doctor or does it have to be something she decides I need herself? As I said earlier she doens't really seem to actually understand OCD. I know that I can have treatment like CBT without diagnosis but it bothers me not knowing if it's OCD or some other form of compulsive disorder.

• Advertisement

Your gp can make a referral to a psychiatrist. You could go privately, it costs money, but you wont have to wait which can cause more anxiety.

Some psychiatrists allow self referral so if you had a name of one that you know of you could ring their office and see what their protocol is.

Thinking of you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Looks like I will need to postpone beginning CBT. A few unexpected financial issues have come up which means penny pinching until the end of March!

I'm a bit moody today and I feel I'm taking it out on my family a bit. I do wonder if this isn't caused by the depression and that I'm just a prick naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

No offense meant but it shouldn't be too important, whatever it is, it has the same effect on them and it's coming from you. I mean that in an observational sense, not in a mean way if ye get me?

I'm sure you could probably trace a tangible reason why you felt bad enough to spread it to people you love, be it a general physical feeling or a recent thing popping around your brain!

I highly doubt you are a 'prick' naturally. I find subtle physical weariness makes people very easily pissed off for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm a bit moody today and I feel I'm taking it out on my family a bit. I do wonder if this isn't caused by the depression and that I'm just a prick naturally.

I can be a bit of a prick but I don't think people are naturally pricks. Something is causing the prickishness - in my case unhappiness at my life. Try to work on why you're being a prick.

So much for feeling okay. Today went from grand to bad to absolute sh1t.

Counting down the minutes until I can go home and cry.

• Advertisement

I've been suffering from anxiety for a good few years now. Nothing terrible but bad enough. I used to dread getting on a train in case I couldn't get off, hated driving, used to sit in my work and think the floor was falling beneath me. I think it came about from the bullying I got in school. I am in my third year of therapy and I have to say it's worked wonders. I still get the odd bout now and again but it's less of the norm now. I meet my therapist once per week. We've discussed every corner of my life, right back to being a child, up to the present day. We've discuss my relationship with my family, partners, you name it, all covered. I've found it better than CBT (I've read some CBT books) because it helps you get to the route of your issues, opens them up. You'd be surprised what you find hidden. I've learned so much about myself the last 2 years. I've learned to stop being so hard on myself and start loving myself. Clichéd but true.

The only downside is that it's expensive. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it. If you cannot afford therapy, there are many books out there. Failing that, talk to someone, anyone. Talking is key.

My point is, things can change. It doesn't have to be that way. Everyone deserves a better life. It takes effort and there will be progress and setbacks but what's the alternative?

If anyone wants any advice or more insight into my situation, drop me a PM. I'll be happy to help.

IAmTheWalrus, thanks for the post, that is heartening to read. It's good to hear from someone who has come out the other side :)

Offence taken Jimmy! Put 'em up! :p Joking of course! :D

Thanks for the replies. I think the weariness point is very true actually. Can feel at times that have been at this so long and am getting nowhere with this.

Sorry to hear how you are currently feeling LanaFey. Hopefully it'll pass for you soon.

I was just thinking back to this time last week and the black void I felt like I was in. Felt like my world was ending and there was no point going on.

Even though my anxiety had some basis in reality, the thing I was so worried about was highly unlikely. Yet that didn't stop my mind spiraling completely out of control and shutting out all logic and reason.

I know I still need CBT but I'm just so glad that horrible time is over and I am thankful for that.

Things never seemed so bleak as they did last week. But it is possible to come out the other side and feel better. And i don't mean possible like its possible to win the lotto! Not only is it possible, its is realistic and not beyond reach.

I don't know if this will help anyone, i don't even know if it would have helped me last week but you never know who you might be able to influence for the better. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Thanks IAmTheWalrus! Is it psychotherapy you're doing? I started doing it when things were very bad but dont have the same need to go when things are ok, which they are at the mo. I was only thinking yesterday that I am curious about goin regularly though.

Lana sorry to hear today is so bad, how are you feeling now?

Jimmy, I agree wth ya about the physical weariness. I was in crap mood during the week, turns out I'm a bit run down and half my family are sick with the same thing (saw them at weekend, wasnt talking to anyone till last night so didnt know). Felt a lot of relief that it wasnt just my anxiety manifesting as stomach issues, tiredness and headaches.

• Advertisement

stinkle wrote: »
    Thanks IAmTheWalrus! Is it psychotherapy you're doing?

A quick Wiki of psychotherapy confirms that is what I've been getting. It's basically talking. When I speak about past events, my therapist listen to what I'm saying. He'll question my beliefs and how I saw a particular event. It's amazing what a different perspective can do for you.

One of the biggest things I have gotten out of it is blame. I used to blame myself for the way I am, a kind of weakness on my character. I now realise that I personally had nothing to do with the way I am. It was external influences. I was great to hear that. The fact that I am able to function (relatively) well regardless is testament to me, and my ability to overcome the past. That gives me confidence. Everyone has it in them to change their situation.

Officially back on the cipramil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I need people to say a prayer or hope tonight can't say why just yet but please if you can spare a min x

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

handbagmad wrote: »
    I need people to say a prayer or hope tonight can't say why just yet but please if you can spare a min x

Hold tight handbagmad, looking at a long night here too so you'll be in my thoughts..

You're in my thoughts

You're in my thoughts. Hope things aren't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

Thinking of you tonight, hang in there. X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Thanks folks its not about me. Sorry to worry you. Its someone close to me. Im trying to be positive about it.

Ye R good people.

Thanks folks its not about me. Sorry to worry you. Its someone close to me. Im trying to be positive about it.

Ye R good people.

You're a good friend H :)

I'll say a wee prayer here also x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Will also say one here. x

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Handbagmad, hope things are going ok for you now.

No word from hospital, so that's a phone call (abhor making/receiving calls) on Monday.. And still no wiser as to why i was booted.. Considering pieta house if hospital doesn't go well..

Hope the rest of ye are doing ok, am finding the stormy weather at night kind of comforting, think i've said it before but think the turbulence matches my thoughts, nice to have nature keeping me company in same kind of state.

Handbagmad, hope things are going ok for you now.

No word from hospital, so that's a phone call (abhor making/receiving calls) on Monday.. And still no wiser as to why i was booted.. Considering pieta house if hospital doesn't go well..

Hope the rest of ye are doing ok, am finding the stormy weather at night kind of comforting, think i've said it before but think the turbulence matches my thoughts, nice to have nature keeping me company in same kind of state.

That's absolutely ridiculous. I've talked before about how I hate doctors but I've always felt hospitals were a fair bit better. Obviously not always the case. I've heard good things about Pieta House so it might be worth a look.

I love storms if I'm inside, especially at night. The sound of rain on the window is lovely.

I find it's more the administration i have a problem with usually, though i have no idea what the issue is at the moment so my outlook might change.. Mostly the medical staff that have treated me for various things over the years have been great, but working within close to impossible constraints.

However i'm reluctant to go to pieta house because i always feel there is someone worse off that needs that appointment more than me..

Gremlin you deserve to feel good just as much as anyone else and if you think calling Pieta would be good for you then you should.
    They're open on Saturdays so give them a call and see how the conversation goes x

Gremlin you deserve to feel good just as much as anyone else and if you think calling Pieta would be good for you then you should.
    They're open on Saturdays so give them a call and see how the conversation goes x

The logical side of me knows that, but since i've been the person that looks after others and fixes things, there is still this residual feeling that i'm wasting other's time, and of course the basic feeling of weakness when revealing a vulnerability.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robertstack

Has anyone taken lexapro?
    I started a few days ago and my anxiety has been worse than ever.
    My neck and head keep twitching too :mad:

Has anyone taken lexapro?
    I started a few days ago and my anxiety has been worse than ever.
    My neck and head keep twitching too :mad:

Hi Robert, i haven't taken it, but same rules kind of apply across the board, it'll take a week or weeks to adjust, everyone has their own reactions to medications of all sorts. Stay with it, if you get worried about yourself, call your doctor, or go to casualty..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robertstack

Yeah, i put it into google and it appears it takes about 4 weeks to start working.
    Looks like i'll have to grin and bear it till then as it is very common to get these side effects.

• Advertisement

Gremlin did you make the call? Hope it went well for you x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement