Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney rebel song

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Drummer1967

There are very few CEOs that carry on like him.

Ok maybe Michael O'Leary. But he is so good he can do anything he likes.

Why is he going onto TV shows talking about his love life ?

Because he's a Nob end that thinks people actually care about him......The frickin state of the Chav in fairness Dracula would be proud of those fangs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

This is a vendetta against John Delaney now.

John has done this type of thing for years and years.

He is fond of a few drinks and a sing-song with the fans after matches.

He is a big fan and supporter as well as CEO and likes to have a bit of a laugh.

Perhaps he may go too far for a CEO but it is pathetic that somebody took advantage and forwarded the video to the media.

There is no 'news' here

He needs to go. Domestic football is in the gutter. Even the fact that he earns four times as much as the domestic league winners and when teams like Monaghan are sinking is laughable. Sure what does he do, turn up and open a few astroturf pitches every now and again. We are too tolerant of this type of nonsense in Ireland but it looks like people from all corners are waking up to it.

December 10th :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Man seen drunk in pub.

..In tomorrows edition we'll bring you Priest Caught Saying Mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is a vendetta against John Delaney now.

John has done this type of thing for years and years.

He is fond of a few drinks and a sing-song with the fans after matches.

He is a big fan and supporter as well as CEO and likes to have a bit of a laugh.

Perhaps he may go too far for a CEO but it is pathetic that somebody took advantage and forwarded the video to the media.

There is no 'news' here

Delaney getting locked in public is pathetic. Delaneys wages considering the state of football in Ireland is pathetic. Delaney releasing a statement saying it wasn't him is pathetic. Delaney singing a rebel song considering his position is pathetic. Delaney saying a popular irish internet forum should be closed down because he doesn't like what they're saying is pathetic. Delaneys singing voice is pathetic. Delaney trying to deflect the attention to "cyber bullying" of his girlfriend is pathetic. Delaneys apology "sorry if you were offended" is pathetic. Delaneys hair is pathetic. Delaney crying on the radio is pathetic.
    T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

There are very few CEOs that carry on like him. Ok maybe Michael O'Leary. But he is so good he can do anything he likes.

MOL is a completely different beast. Like him or not, everything he does is for the betterment of Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Cienciano wrote: »
    Delaney getting locked in public is pathetic. Delaneys wages considering the state of football in Ireland is pathetic. Delaney releasing a statement saying it wasn't him is pathetic. Delaney singing a rebel song considering his position is pathetic. Delaney saying a popular irish internet forum should be closed down because he doesn't like what they're saying is pathetic. Delaneys singing voice is pathetic. Delaney trying to deflect the attention to "cyber bullying" of his girlfriend is pathetic. Delaneys apology "sorry if you were offended" is pathetic. Delaneys hair is pathetic. Delaney crying on the radio is pathetic.
    T

Much of that is true - but there is no need to make comments about his appearance - I understand it is comments like above that has undermined the efforts of the YBIG website in an effort to get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

T

*gasps*
    What are you trying to say????

Berserker wrote: »
    MOL is a completely different beast. Like him or not, everything he does is for the betterment of Ryanair.

Well that is sort of my point - everything he does works (MOL).

With JD - he has had events involving drink a couple of times , you think he himself or somebody would say - John - keep head down during the big events - particularly the day Ireland are playing.

Yes top CEOs - go to the social events - but are very selective, very controlled and they leave deliberately early. They don't sing in a public place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

What is embarrassing is your post. It shows no knowledge of the history of Irish football and where it came from.
    Facilities have improved greatly, and football has made great strides outside the big cities.
    Also more people play football every weekend than any other sport.

Gaa and rugby historically were well supported by patrons with money. Football never had anything like the same financial support down the years.

But keep plugging your populist rubbish - FAI bad, JD bad if it makes you feel good.

As for him singing a rebel song - to me it's a non issue.

Sorry for any offence caused, John. Any tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

Bit late to this but, for me, two huge issues from this;
    1. Why the **** would anyone want to go for a drink with John Delaney?
    2. He then started singing. Why the **** would anyone want to listen to John Delaney sing?

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Bit late to this but, for me, two huge issues from this;
    1. Why the **** would anyone want to go for a drink with John Delaney?
    2. He then started singing. Why the **** would anyone want to listen to John Delaney sing?

Well - life is like that - plenty of people flock to lads when they have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

Much of that is true - but there is no need to make comments about his appearance - I understand it is comments like above that has undermined the efforts of the YBIG website in an effort to get rid of him.

Delaney has a bad barnet. This is a pefectly logical and understandable thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he should have sung this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

4U8U4co.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Why is this even a story? Who cares, its a great song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Whatever is said on YBIG website or any other message board makes zero difference on whether he stays or not.

Whatever is said on YBIG website or any other message board makes zero difference on whether he stays or not.

Not sure about that - what is talked about online - is an easy story for media outlets. Yes they don't run with them - but they research what they see and get easy current stories.

He was on Top of The Irish Times. The video turned up online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

The worrying and shameful bit is there are so many posters defending him.
    He's singing songs praising murders, including a killer who lined up protestant works and machine gunned them to death.

And they you have the cheek to turn around and condemn " the sectarian failed stateless" football team?

Your IRA mates will be calling us Bastards next.

But sure, you are only West Brits, who gives a **** what you all think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

getzls wrote: »
    The worrying and shameful bit is there are so many posters defending him.
    He's singing songs praising murders, including a killer who lined up protestant works and machine gunned them to death.

And they you have the cheek to turn around and condemn " the sectarian failed stateless" football team?

Your IRA mates will be calling us Bastards next.

But sure, you are only West Brits, who gives a **** what you all think.

There is such a thing called real life, a lot of people missed the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JD just murdered one of my fav songs.

Bastard

I love a good ol' hardcore rebel/ballad session.

Brits out & all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Rebel songs are abhorrent, as is the singing of them.
    I remember back in the 80's when there wasn't as many moany fcukers about and rebel songs were great drinking songs :)

The good old days.

Brits out & all that.
    Delaney out. And the Brits if you want, who gives a ****. Delaney first though

drumswan wrote: »
    Delaney out. And the Brits if you want, who gives a ****. Delaney first though

Dunno, I'm not into soccer. I hate it in fact, f*cking hate it.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I remember back in the 80's when there wasn't as many moany fcukers about and rebel songs were great drinking songs :)

The good old days.

Of course there are more songs about the rebels as so many killed themselves during the '80's.

This we should sing songs of thanks for.

Of course there are more songs about the rebels as so many killed themselves during the '80's.

This we should sing songs of thanks for.

It is great to see ??????? adult comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

So let's say for a moment that Delaney's counterpart in Northern Ireland was caught singing a song in a pub praising a loyalist terrorist.

He'd be slung out on his arse in a nano-second. And quite rightly so.

Delaney does it however - and, for some, it's just a bit of craic.

Personally, I think he's simply a babbling idiot and shouldn't lose his job, but the stench of double standards is rather self-evident.

It is great to see ??????? adult comments.

Ah! You can see the difference?
    I make a light hearted and ok, tasteless post and you jump on it.

But posters can see no wrong it the praising of the IRA who murdered thousands?

Strange old world eh?

No wonder us Bastards would sooner die than be part of an U.I.

To be fair to the IRA, at least they ****ed off. Which leaves them one up on Delaney

Ah! You can see the difference?
    I make a light hearted and ok, tasteless post and you jump on it.

Strange old world eh?

No wonder us Bastards would sooner die than be part of an U.I.

The war is over a long time ago. Move on.

The war is over a long time ago. Move on.

The battles are over, the war isn't.

• Advertisement

These things take time and depend's on decent people with cool heads to move it to a final conclusion.

Maybe you could elaborate on that post a bit.

As a moderator on this forum or as a private poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Delaney seems to be as thick,cunning and ungrammatical as Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

getzls wrote:

Steady yourself a little there pal...

The IRA were responsible for 723 civilian deaths during the 30 years of the troubles.

Anyway, nobody likes John Delaney. Just because he sang a rebel song doesn't mean he's a rebel and doesn't mean he's promoting it. Next thing the media will be asking him if he was in the IRA!

Sometimes I sing Sir Mixalot's song about big butts, but I think they're only okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Rebel songs are abhorrent, as is the singing of them.

Appropriate name you have there

Maybe you could elaborate on that post a bit.

As a moderator on this forum or as a private poster.

I'm not a moderator on this forum, why do we have to explain this one all the time.

As for elaborating on battles and wars, it surprises me that I've to explain and elaborate on the difference all the time.

Both the above annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That's worst part of the whole John Delaney thing. Not him buying pints, but the fact that fans are so idiotic to think he's a "legend" for buying drinks. Jesus wept, a pint in Poland costs about €2, are they actually bought that cheaply?

I heard the clip. Surely you now that John Delaney is the victim in all this. Anyone who apologises by saying "if you were offended, I am sorry" is an ársehole.

And not only that, he wants the forum "YBIG" shut down!

I really wish they would say exactly what they mean in that instance which is "if you were offended, go f**k yourself".

The person who videoed him singing and put it up on youtube is a nasty c**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

So let's say for a moment that Delaney's counterpart in Northern Ireland was caught singing a song in a pub praising a loyalist terrorist.

He'd be slung out on his arse in a nano-second. And quite rightly so.

Delaney does it however - and, for some, it's just a bit of craic.

Personally, I think he's simply a babbling idiot and shouldn't lose his job, but the stench of double standards is rather self-evident.

There is a significant difference. In theory the head of the IFA is supposed to represent both communities in the North so singing either a republican or loyalist song would offend half the population.

Practice would seem to be different as republican/nationalist players are electing to play for Ireland instead of the north

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

howiya wrote: »
    There is a significant difference. In theory the head of the IFA is supposed to represent both communities in the North

That ideology goes out the window when they persist in playing God Save the Queen as their national anthem and alienating one section of the community.

Shocked by the level of stupidity and vitriol on this thread. Surely it's obvious that Delaney is doing a poor job for an over inflated salary?
    As for those who want to defend his right to sing rebel songs, would you ever kop on? It's entirely inappropriate for the highly paid CEO of a publically funded organisation.
    If you Can't see that, well no argument will persuade the Shinnerbots on here anyway. Still dying for aul Oirlind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Clown.

This is a guy on a €360,000 per year and is our delegate to FIFA and UEFA where representatives from Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales are present. The last thing someone in his position should be doing is singing contentious songs like this. Especially with the England match coming up next year, we all know what happened the last time they were here and we do not want it happening again.

LorMal wrote: »
    Shocked by the level of stupidity and vitriol on this thread. Surely it's obvious that Delaney is doing a poor job for an over inflated salary?
    As for those who want to defend his right to sing rebel songs, would you ever kop on? It's entirely inappropriate for the highly paid CEO of a publically funded organisation.
    If you Can't see that, well no argument will persuade the Shinnerbots on here anyway. Still dying for aul Oirlind.

Other publicly funded organisations such FG have annual commemorations at Beal na Blath. Perhaps this should be knocked on the head too. Where do you draw the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

When high profile people are singing songs in public, praising those that took up arms, is it any wonder there are kids who think it is big and clever to try and continue those battles?

cournioni wrote: »
    Clown.

This is a guy on a €360,000 per year and is our delegate to FIFA and UEFA where representatives from Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales are present. The last thing someone in his position should be doing is singing contentious songs like this. Especially with the England match coming up next year, we all know what happened the last time they were here and we do not want it happening again.

I would very much be against him singing that song at one of those meetings.

When high profile people are singing songs in public, praising those that took up arms, is it any wonder there are kids who think it is big and clever to try and continue those battles?

And Jessica Lovejoy joins the thread.

howiya wrote: »
    Other publicly funded organisations such FG have annual commemorations at Beal na Blath. Perhaps this should be knocked on the head too. Where do you draw the line?

Thats a lot of horse**** too. I draw the line way way before that!

We've just been through a month of remembering and praising those that took up arms...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

You can see the difference between a FG commemoration and the CEO of a Football association singing in pubs?

Besides it doesn't matter what he was singing, someone in his position shouldn't be in pubs with fans after a game singing anything.

LorMal wrote: »
    Thats a lot of horse**** too. I draw the line way way before that!

So at what point is it acceptable for us to make reference to our history? Maybe post Good Friday Agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

robbiezero wrote: »
    And Jessica Lovejoy joins the thread.

It's ironic though. Sing songs about a man who took up arms, then vilify those that follow suit.

Then again, republican hypocrisy doesn't surprise me any more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement