Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media Deal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

brightkane wrote: »
    Has anyone that's been offered this been still in contract and had broadband only?

Me, they just installed it today too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Yep, agree with this. You'll probably get through to sales, but loyalty is who you want. Usually quite helpful (I've found) and keen to keep your business, if you are with them a while.

I was on that nice €35 50% off deal, which expired, so I was out of contract. Best I could get from them was 9 months at half-price, so it works out at c. €40 a month for the nine months, and then up to €80 for last three. This is for the high-speed line, basic TV package, and landline, including intl mobile calls, which I find handy.

Interesting to hear - up until recently the best the loyalty dept were offering was 6mths half price on 12 month deals (i previously had 50% off for 12 months) the had to start offering better deals given sky offering everything (incl movies and sport @ 50% off for 12 mths)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

rob316 wrote: »
    Me, they just installed it today too :)

Cheers rob. You were in the middle of a bb contract and then called you. Offered TV and bb for a lesser months fee then you were already paying?

What TV package did they give you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

bromley52 wrote: »
    Why would you turn off your router at night? You could seriously shorten it life doing that. If you just want to turn off WiFi at night you can set to turn on/off in settings.

It was something I did when I had Eircom. Habit more than anything else - at bedtime switch off PC, switch off router. Never had any problems with router.

Since I switched to UPC I have to leave it on all the time for the landline.

btw, I got the UPC deal last Feb: €25 first 4 months, then €45 after for 250Mb, landline, mobile, 400 international minutes + €50 voucher. Fantastic bargain, saved a fortune so far and a great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

OT: I know the Horizon box eats electricity. How about the modem only boxes? I just received whatever the latest UBEE modem is and would be interested to know how much power it uses. (on average, I understand it depends on use). Has anyone put a meter on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

got advised 4 months of 22.50 and then 8 months at 45 for 120 ulimited bb and phone.... didnt accept yet but worth it or not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

got advised 4 months of 22.50 and then 8 months at 45 for 120 ulimited bb and phone.... didnt accept yet but worth it or not?

Im on 6months 22.50 and 6 months 45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Push a little bit more; I just got that but at €20.74/month for the first 6 months, then €45/month. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

As an existing customer paying 55 I rang when I saw the 45 bb and unlimited phone deal, and got offered 4 months at 22.50 then 45 after. Just before it was due to go to 45 I got a call offering a deal for unlimited phone (including all mobiles and some countries) 240 broadband and Hoirizon Max TV with 22 HD channels at 35pm for 6 months, 90 after which I took. The horizon box is pretty good but not as good as Skys interface. One good feature is the ability to record 4 programs at the same time and watch another. As I had my BB router (Thomson) in a different room with custom setting I was able to keep that and an extra connection was run to the living room for the Horizon box (no charge). As previously stated any phone will do, the router or horizon box will look after converting the signal, and you can port your Eircom number if required. All-inall a good deal. In fairness to Sky they did their best to match but just could not do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

brightkane wrote: »
    Has anyone that's been offered this been still in contract and had broadband only?

Yes.
    Was on the 60mb €40 per month broadband/phone package. They called today offering Horizon TV max, 120mb bb and the unlimited phone package for €25 for 12 months.

Strange they called me seeing I had 11 months of my 18 month contract still to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

ciano1 wrote: »
    They called today offering Horizon TV max, 120mb bb and the unlimited phone package for €25 for 12 months.
    And after that?

Or was it only a 12-month contract, not 18? (with a higher price for the last 6 months, as in the deals described above)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

peckerhead wrote:
    And after that?

peckerhead wrote:
    Or was it only a 12-month contract, not 18? (with a higher price for the last 6 months, as in the deals described above)

I think he said it would be €80 or €90 after the 12 months. There was never a mention of 18 months or a higher price for the last 6 months.

He pretty much said that they'd be likely to call me again toward the end of the 12 months with another offer. I took it anyway and it's being delivered tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Was on the half price horizon max deal but that finished recently. Got 9 months half price this time on 12 month contract.

Took a bit of haggling (2 phone calls), just pointed out that new customers get half price for 12 months on an 18 month contract which is greater than half the contract so I wanted more than 6 months on a 12 month contract. He relented pretty quick.

Happy enough tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I live in a shared house and we're in the process of having to sign up again as the UPC was in the name of the person who just moved out. While the new half price for 6 month deal is grand, the poxy"activation" fee of €60 is a total PITA. Is there any way to get around this?

We had BB and a box in the sitting room and one of the bedrooms. I think the other two bedrooms will be getting TV now as well and I was told it was a €60 activation fee for each of the new bedrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The reason UPC are calling people still in contract is because Eircom is rolling out 1000MB Broadband and UPC want to make sure people are in long contracts so they can't switch.
    I got a call from UPC offering Free TV, 120mb BB & phone (including mobiles) for €25 for 6 months, signed up but going to change my mind now.

The Eircom offer was 1000MB BB and all landline National & Local calls for €35 a month for the 1st 6 months, €58 for the next 12 (18 month contract).
    Add TV Free for 1st 6 months and €73 after for 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Has anybody on the 6 months half price deal contacted UPC to see if they can get the new improved offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

evostik wrote: »
    Has anybody on the 6 months half price deal contacted UPC to see if they can get the new improved offering?

I just got Call from Upc and got New contract for 12 mths, 35€ for 240mb tv and phone, was on 6 mths half price offert with finished So im happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

Is this a good deal? I just have the basic sky package and my bb is with eircom and my contract is up soon. I've heard and read some bad things about Horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

got offered half price for six months to stay, told them i'd think about it but rang back and did no better, will go ahead and cancel now and get my wife to sign as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Are these calls coming from an 1890 number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AmilcarAlho

My current package is now full price, and I'm out of contract, €81 pm with 120 mb + 100 channels (HD box, not horizon) and no calls.

Their best offer yesterday as 40 for first 6 months, 80 for the last 6 ( avg €60). Today's offers:

- Current setup at 40 pm for 9 months, 80 for last 3 (no calls) (AVG €50)
    - Horizon at 37.50 pm for 9 months, 80 for last 3 with calls + 50 channels (AVG €48.125)
    - Horizon at 40 pm for 9 months, 80 for last 3 with calls + 100 channels (AVG €50)

Still more expensive than new customers, and not too keen on having the Horizon given the horror stories...

It would be interesting to know if customers getting the calls are in one of the areas that Eircom/Siro are about to launch FTTH with up to 1gb speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Im currently paying 80 for TV and internet but in an apartment that is only wired for UPC and have 2 months left on contract..

do I have a chance of getting one of these offers or will they not bother with us as they know we'll have no other real options?

I got New contract with tv and this horizon box but i requested to Keep my old modem/ router and they say its fine. I got box today and have issue, cant get it worked. When im connected cable to acces point(Upc box on wall) and to spliter with was in box and connected old modem to one port of spliter and horizon box to another one have tv but No internet. To get internet work from my old router/modem i have to connect it without spliter but them i have No tv. How to setup it? Sorry for offtopic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Perhaps the splitter is faulty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got my horizon €25 per month in today :) thanks a mil OP

beauf wrote: »
    Perhaps the splitter is faulty

Yes it was splitter, they send me New one and all good

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smurf2000

Just off the phone with UPC. It took a bit of haggling but they gave me the €25 a month contract for 12 months. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Smurf2000 wrote: »
    Just off the phone with UPC. It took a bit of haggling but they gave me the €25 a month contract for 12 months. Delighted.

What department?
    What package were you on?
    Were you out of contract or how long had you left?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

Guys what option are you selecting on their telephone system ?

Just rang them , selected the update to horizon option on their telephone system , ended up with someone who said that there is no way existing customers can get that , Informed him that my contract ended like 3 months ago and i can cancel and my wife can subscribe next day , they said thats fine , but couldn't do it for me , not pleasant and not very professional .

Will call them later again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

rob316 wrote: »
    Guy from UPC just rang me there, offered me HD TV, 240mb B/B and Home Phone for €35 per month for 12 months.

I have broadband and phone already from them for €45 per month so this seemed like a no brainer.

Anyone else get it?

Was exact same as yourself, got a call two weeks ago about it.

Was on the top Broadband with phone for €45 and kept my BB, got a bump on my phone and the TV for €35.

I already have Sky and have no intention of using UPc TV, so the box is in the spare room still in the wrapper. The sales rep was very helpful and also ensured I didn't need to change my internet infrastructure(they can be pushy for you to run internet through horizon box)

I was only like a few months into my latest contract, so was happy to sign up for a further year. My phone hasn't changed, although the bump providing international calls is done through some form of app, won't be using it, but a nice to have I guess

I already got a nice deal from the last time they did the increases, where I went to the top broadband and actually saved money.

Another thumbs up for UPC, who year after year improve my services yet somehow offer me a deal where I pay less.

Also to confirm since there seems to have been some queries, the deal I got was €35 for twelve months, not 18, and not a price for 6 months and then rising.

The TV package by the way, was free according to herself, and an offer for existing customers not using a TV service. Still, all round my price dropped a tenner and I got some nice bumps. My Sky TV will expire next year and if I want I'll have a few months where I can hook in the TV, although unlikely I'll ever move from Sky Tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

can i ask was anyone who got this 25 a month deal.already phone tv and bb customers.or where you just phone and bb customers.as i have all 3 currently but no horizon.and i have spoke with 2 different agents and they tell me i cant get the offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭sue97

I just got Call from Upc and got New contract for 12 mths, 35€ for 240mb tv and phone, was on 6 mths half price offert with finished So im happy with it

Got this as well suppose it's cheaper than the 45 we were paying

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smurf2000

I had a month left on my contract. Had phone and broadband for €44.99 a month (never even plugged in the phone) . Now phone,broadband and tv for €25 for 12 months. They said tv box will arrive tomorrow.
    I rang 1908 and said I was thinking of leaving. Then they transferred me to sales department. They offer me a 3 month, then 6 month reductions first but if you haggle and quote the deal that's alread on boards here they will consult with their supervisor and grant it. They said that deal was only for certain customers who were being rang up and offered it, so I said I'd probably swap provider and then he gave it to me.
    Best of luck. For me it's a saving of €240 over the 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I already have horizon (never use it though)
    Am on the highest BB and have the phone , paying 67 a month which i can't really afford to be honest.
    It went up a couple of months ago and I was never notified.

Thinking of ringing them and see what i can get.
    Would like to keep the BB speed and the phone , not too pushed on the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

I have 200MB broadband, Horizon Max and phone, I was @80 a month.
    Called yesterday and they offered me 18 month contract with 12 months @35 and then the remainder at 90 or 12 month contract with 6 months @40 and then remainder at 80.

I went for the 12 month option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Im also on 200meg horizon max and home phone. What would be the best way too approach the call and speak to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Im also on 200meg horizon max and home phone. What would be the best way too approach the call and speak to them?

I just told them I saw on Boards that other current customers were getting it so I wanted it too - They just said ok fine.

My friend is on a different package and she tried today but had more difficulty and only got €15 off a month

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

I'm on the 200MB BB and home phone too, and had a 50% discount 12mth contract that just ended.
    I spoke to sales today, and was getting nowhere at all, was offered also €15 off for 6 mths, but from the €55 full price, so €40 for 6 mths, and €55 thereafter.

From there I asked to be transferred to Loyalty dept. The lad there said he's heard of quite a few callers looking for the €35 rate for 240MB and Unlimited phone / mobile, but that noone is getting it!!

The best he could do that for was a 12 mth contract at 50% off the €55 (so €27.50) for 6 mths, and full price for the rest..

I'll give them a call again tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I asked for the 25e offer today, straight no, also loyalty refused as well so I cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

I have BB and phone with upc, currently 30 per month...got a call offering the option to add horizon and price drops to 25 (12 month contract). Probably gonna go for it, but wondering why some people here are asking to keep router/modem and not have internet coming via horizon box ?? What are the advantages of this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

cathalj wrote: »
    I have BB and phone with upc, currently 30 per month...got a call offering the option to add horizon and price drops to 25 (12 month contract). Probably gonna go for it, but wondering why some people here are asking to keep router/modem and not have internet coming via horizon box ?? What are the advantages of this ?

Because the Horizon box has dodgy firmware and people are experiencing terrible connections issues where devices just keep disconnecting. Also the wifi range isn't as good as the separate modem. I had it was constantly having to reboot it due to it crashing, at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

pippip wrote:
    Because the Horizon box has dodgy firmware and people are experiencing terrible connections issues where devices just keep disconnecting. Also the wifi range isn't as good as the separate modem. I had it was constantly having to reboot it due to it crashing, at least once a week.

Thanks for the info, think I'll request to keep my router so.... On a side note, a guy from Eircom called to house yesterday and said their engineers are in my area upgrading the BB to fibre optic, uncongested, high speed etc... Said it's a once off chance as they won't come back for individual house connections. This could be why upc rang me out of the blue with the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭jacool

cathalj wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, think I'll request to keep my router so.... On a side note, a guy from Eircom called to house yesterday and said their engineers are in my area upgrading the BB to fibre optic, uncongested, high speed etc... Said it's a once off chance as they won't come back for individual house connections. This could be why upc rang me out of the blue with the offer.
    Just wait for the eircom "yes we can", "no we can't" telephone tennis game which follows. I was sent from pillar to post with the same crap and in the end got nothing from eircom, even though the guy next door to me can stand out in his front garden picking up 50MB on his iPhone (he's on Vodafone). Apparently eircom couldn't provide fibre for me, and I'm with them (though not for much longer) UPC looks like my preferred option now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

I signed up to a 12 month 120 mb BB only package in February and chanced my arm and rang the loyalty number listed on previous page yesterday. I said I had seen the €25 deal for Horizon max tv and 120mb BB. He pt me on hold, went to speak with a 'manager' and came back and said I could have it so I took it and it's being delivered tomorrow. 12 month contract so no bump in price for the last 6 months or anything. Cancelled my Sky Tv.

Horizon isn't the best but for €25 a month for tv and broadband you can't complain. Great deal.

Cheers for the heads up guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Just off the phone to them. They were having none of the €25 deal but they did stick me on a new deal for €42.50 for 6 months then €85 thereafter. Ill be ringing them again at Christmas to see what they can offer me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but each person I get insists on an 18 month contract (I'm an existing out of contract customer) and won't budge on it. Have tried twice and have gotten nowhere. They keep saying they are going to talk to their manager and then they come back offering the same thing

groom wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong but each person I get insists on an 18 month contract (I'm an existing out of contract customer) and won't budge on it. Have tried twice and have gotten nowhere. They keep saying they are going to talk to their manager and then they come back offering the same thing

You have to tell them to go ahead and cancel. They never budge much until you tell them to cancel. Then you should be put through to loyalty department who generally go a bit further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

pippip wrote: »
    You have to tell them to go ahead and cancel. They never budge much until you tell them to cancel. Then you should be put through to loyalty department who generally go a bit further.

yeah it is the loyalty department I've rung. I have threatened cancelling (maybe a bit too gingerly)

yeah it is the loyalty department I've rung. I have threatened cancelling (maybe a bit too gingerly)

Tell them to go ahead and go through with it. You have 30 days to change your mind. You can always ring up and take whatever offer they initially gave you later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I called them this morning I called the sales number 1890940070

I have BB + phone with them at the moment paying 45 per month. I was also put on hold and they came back saying since I'm a long term customer that I can have the deal no problem. I asked them a few times that its for 12 month and it doesnt change after 6 or it really 18 months only free for 12 and they confirmed it was 12 month free tv !

I get a much better deal on the phone calls as well which is a bonus. I don't watch much tv and I have freesat as it is just signed up for the cheaper monthly payments win win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement