Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BPB]Boards Photobook 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Sorry for introducing a totally different issue in this thread but ........

I had suggested selling an "e" version of the photobook at say 2-5 euro a copy of previous years, even "boxed sets" of multiple years etc. Its a low cost (from a production point of view) and potentially high income earner.

Is this a dead idea (already considered and discarded) or just forgotten?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

It's a great idea - do you want to help us with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Cork_girl wrote: »
    It's a great idea - do you want to help us with it?

If I knew how, I would. I reckon whoever published it before should be able to give a price for a pdf version of it - I'm guessing it should only be a nominal amount.

You could worry about ways of stopping people from copying it for "free" or just set a low price (say 3 or 4 euro per year, 10 euro for a boxed set of 4, x euro for all of them - not sure how many there are) and operate on a trust basis.

Because it is a "soft" product it would be easier to reach a large audience - e.g. email all of the camera clubs in Ireland and ask them to promote it at their meetings, email friends, work colleagues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

If I knew how, I would. I reckon whoever published it before should be able to give a price for a pdf version of it - I'm guessing it should only be a nominal amount.

You could worry about ways of stopping people from copying it for "free" or just set a low price (say 3 or 4 euro per year, 10 euro for a boxed set of 4, x euro for all of them - not sure how many there are) and operate on a trust basis.

Because it is a "soft" product it would be easier to reach a large audience - e.g. email all of the camera clubs in Ireland and ask them to promote it at their meetings, email friends, work colleagues etc.

AFAIK getting the book in PDF format that could be sold will cost a fortune, your basically asking the design company to design it and had it over for pretty much nothing, yeah I know they are designing the book but they don't look at it that way......again this is just going on past experience with brokers we have used, I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i don't know many print/design places that will hand over a high res PDF, but if someone on the team here is designing it themselves, then we already have the PDF when it's finished ;)

• Advertisement

I don't have any previous PDF files but perhaps someone does :) For now - I'm just going to focus on getting the book itself ready - hopefully we have pricing finalised, I'm just double checking on postage costs.. it should be a little lighter this year fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Is it Portrait or Landscape?

Checked with the printer on that and it will be landscape.
    "the printing company is not physically set up to handle such a COVER shape. It would be easy for the printer to print such a PAGE but the software is not set up presently to take that shape."

:D:D PM's have gone out!! Get payment in asap please folks and then your photos - time is of the essence!!

Remember, if you don't want to be in the Photo Auction, let us know. Otherwise we assume you are happy for your photo to be uploaded in small size, to two locations: Pixie and our Wordpress blog. Only those two. (no facebooks etc.)

If any external party want to use a photo - we will ask the photographer. The photos will always be titled and copyrighted with the photographer's name/boardsie nick as appropriate.

So there it is! Get moving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Is the book landscape format ? I have sent my payment via paypal. Many thanks for the excellent work and a great price.

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Is the book landscape format ? I have sent my payment via paypal. Many thanks for the excellent work and a great price.

Yes - landscape!

Also, don't forget to include for the photo submissions.

- boards username / real name
    - Photo title [optional]
    - Description [optional]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Aaaand paid. Now to choose a photo, welcome to any suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

I assume a photo size of A4 @ 300ppi in landscape format will be ok for the book

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Done & done from the P&B's :)

mikka631 wrote: »
    I assume a photo size of A4 @ 300ppi in landscape format will be ok for the book

Perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Why is time going so fast!!!!! Need to get sorted fast

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

Wishing Tracy, Dani and Darren best of luck to get the book the way they hope for, to make santa's force strike again.
    Am sure everybody will enjoy the results in due time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Just a quick word of thanks to the whole BPB2012 team for the work they have done and will be doing to make this years book the success I'm sure it will. Well done all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Can I ask that people include there username when making the payment by PayPal. It can be entered in the note section.

One other thing. You must send it as a gift. Otherwise I get hit with charges.

Thanks
    Darren

• Advertisement

DarrenG wrote: »
    Can I ask that people include there username when making the payment by PayPal. It can be entered in the note section.

One other thing. You must send it as a gift. Otherwise I get hit with charges.

Thanks
    Darren

Presume you mean boards user name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Boooom - done! €36 well spent.
    Thanks again for all your hard work on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Payment bit done, now to trawl my drives to find a photo worthy to feature in this fine book:)

DarrenG wrote: »
    Yes

Done and thank you. Tomorrow I will try and find image suitable for uploading. :-)

just sent my payment through there! thank you!
    now to pick a photo...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

We must be all the same. I sent through my payment but still dont know what image to use :)
    Will have to do up a shortlist and then pick

BFassassin wrote: »
    We must be all the same. I sent through my payment but still dont know what image to use :)
    Will have to do up a shortlist and then pick

that's what i did! i made a short list, then asked my friends and family to vote.. :D have it picked now......i think! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I had a photo picked but realised it's in portrait orientation...so back to the picking board. I know it can be portrait but landscape looks better I think.

The problem with asking family/friends to pick, I think, is that if they don't pick the one you're preferring you'll probably ask them to pick again.

Any update on what date the book launch is going to be?

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    I had a photo picked but realised it's in portrait orientation...so back to the picking board. I know it can be portrait but landscape looks better I think.

The problem with asking family/friends to pick, I think, is that if they don't pick the one you're preferring you'll probably ask them to pick again.

Any update on what date the book launch is going to be?

Still not definite, waiting on venue to confirm availability :) Will post as soon as we can!

Advertisement