Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Back again with another question...
    I have my first appointment with my consultant today, had the first midwife one two weeks ago. What is the routine with today's appointment does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Back again with another question...
    I have my first appointment with my consultant today, had the first midwife one two weeks ago. What is the routine with today's appointment does anyone know?

Coombe?

Urine and blood pressure check, then in to see consultant and you'll probably get a little mini-scan.

January wrote: »
    Coombe?

Urine and blood pressure check, then in to see consultant and you'll probably get a little mini-scan.

Yep the Coombe. I guess the results of the bloods taken the first time will be back too? Not that I'm expecting anything to have shown up but it's always good to be sure.
    A mini scan? Does that mean I get to see the little one again? Wasn't expecting that, it would be a nice treat.
    BTW- you are the font of all knowledge! It's fantastic.

Yep the Coombe. I guess the results of the bloods taken the first time will be back too? Not that I'm expecting anything to have shown up but it's always good to be sure.
    A mini scan? Does that mean I get to see the little one again? Wasn't expecting that, it would be a nice treat.
    BTW- you are the font of all knowledge! It's fantastic.

Yep, they'll be in your file (at the very back page), can be very hard to decipher but just ask the consultant to explain them to you if you want to.

I know that when I was in the Coombe under the public consultants for my second and now this little one in the Rotunda also under the consultants I've had a mini scan at every single appointment (I even had a big scan at 29 weeks in the Rotunda and then when I went to see the consultant after I had another mini scan in the same day!). So, yep, you might see the little one again.

One tip, if you feel like asking any questions, write them down now, because you WILL forget them when you go in to see the consultant and when he asks if you have any questions you'll go 'ahhh...emmm... no, that's grand thanks' and feel like an idiot when you walk out :p Happened to me many times.

(When you've had 4 pregnancies you get to know the routine like the back of your hand).

January wrote: »
    Yep, they'll be in your file (at the very back page), can be very hard to decipher but just ask the consultant to explain them to you if you want to.

I know that when I was in the Coombe under the public consultants for my second and now this little one in the Rotunda also under the consultants I've had a mini scan at every single appointment (I even had a big scan at 29 weeks in the Rotunda and then when I went to see the consultant after I had another mini scan in the same day!). So, yep, you might see the little one again.

One tip, if you feel like asking any questions, write them down now, because you WILL forget them when you go in to see the consultant and when he asks if you have any questions you'll go 'ahhh...emmm... no, that's grand thanks' and feel like an idiot when you walk out :p Happened to me many times.

(When you've had 4 pregnancies you get to know the routine like the back of your hand).

4 pregnancies..... You could sell your all too valuable and practical information at this stage!
    I have written down my questions, I'm sure they're very run of the mill but will ask them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 stinkybum

I'm not on very much but if I can help anyone at all I will.
    I've had two pregnancies, both in the Rotunda.
    One private, one public, one on MDII and another on a pump, one I got PET and delivered at 30wks to a 2lber, another 38+4 to a 9lber.

Good luck with the first appointment - its a bit scary - especially if they want to take you off Levemir/Lantus and put you on Insulatard. You dont have to do it - they might bully but they cant make you do it. I didnt on my first and had an a1c of 5.5% for most of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

"One private, one public, one on MDII and another on a pump, one I got PET " I think you might want to explain what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stinkybum

Moonbeam wrote: »
    "One private, one public, one on MDII and another on a pump, one I got PET " I think you might want to explain what that means.

OK - most T1Ds would understand... its lingo.
    I had one child under private care.
    I then had another child under public care.
    I had one child while on injections
    I then had another child while using an insulin pump.
    I had one child after suffering Pre-Eclampsia Toxaemia
    I then had another child Full-term
    I had one child at 30wks duration of pregnancy, weighing 2lbs
    I then had another child at 38wks 4days of pregnancy weighing 9lbs.

I'm just trying to give my experience so that if anyone needs any specific questions answered, these are the things I can help with.

Actually I thought this was a diabetes (T1D) and pregnancy support thread, hence the confusion. I will take my comments elsewhere :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

T1D = Type 1 diabetes.

Thank you for clarifying your post for other users that would not understand the diabetes lingo.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

stinkybum wrote: »
    OK - most T1Ds would understand... its lingo.
    I had one child under private care.
    I then had another child under public care.
    I had one child while on injections
    I then had another child while using an insulin pump.
    I had one child after suffering Pre-Eclampsia Toxaemia
    I then had another child Full-term
    I had one child at 30wks duration of pregnancy, weighing 2lbs
    I then had another child at 38wks 4days of pregnancy weighing 9lbs.

I'm just trying to give my experience so that if anyone needs any specific questions answered, these are the things I can help with.

Actually I thought this was a diabetes (T1D) and pregnancy support thread, hence the confusion. I will take my comments elsewhere :)

Actually I dont think we have a Gestational Diabetes chat thread. Which would be pretty handy given that lots of us get the glucose tolerance test and are a bit worried what it means to get a diagnosis of GD. You might be the perfect person to start one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Yes, I had the GTT test a couple of weeks ago because my Dad is Type 2 and thankfully all was fine. But I did have a couple of questions prior to the test and seeing as it is a relatively routine test, I also think a separate thread here in the Pregnancy forum would be helpful.

I also know a couple of women who have had to use insulin during pregnancy so I think a thread would be a great support to them as I think it must be quite frightening if diagnosed for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I've been cleaning since 8.30 this morning and I'm only half way done. I guess it's safe to say I'm nesting :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Jerrica wrote: »
    I've been cleaning since 8.30 this morning and I'm only half way done. I guess it's safe to say I'm nesting :o :pac:

I've become like that the past few days too, my normal slight slobbiness has been replaced with an overwhelming need to have things neat and tidy!:)

Six+ hours of cleaning later and the apartment is spotless, but I totally over did it and will be spending the evening lying down with a hot water bottle on my back :(:o Still, everything is so cleeeaaaannn!!! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Jerrica wrote: »
    Six+ hours of cleaning later and the apartment is spotless, but I totally over did it and will be spending the evening lying down with a hot water bottle on my back :(:o Still, everything is so cleeeaaaannn!!! \o/

Well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

As a first-timer 40+ I was wondering about what people know about this. I heard that in some hospitals, if over 40, they do not let you go over your due date at all. Is this common? First proper hospital appt in 2 wks with the big scan etc so getting the Q's ready but v curious in the meantime!

What hospital are you in? Rotunda has a +10 day policy, Holmes St are generally happy to go with +12-14.

But this is all open to negotiation if you want it. Some women are happy to go for induction when it's offered, some are happier to wait until things ove of their own accord.

Edit: sorry, total mistake on my part, I didn't cop that 40+ meant age not pregnancy duration :o Its been a long day....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

73trix wrote: »
    As a first-timer 40+ I was wondering about what people know about this. I heard that in some hospitals, if over 40, they do not let you go over your due date at all. Is this common? First proper hospital appt in 2 wks with the big scan etc so getting the Q's ready but v curious in the meantime!

You are under no obligation to agree to induction or any other interventions when overdue. You can be advised of the necessity for them but you are free to refuse. I was allowed to go a week overdue on my second because of a previous section but I could have waited it out if I didn't want a planned section or waters broken. I refused some interventions after my waters broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

just a quick q: where could I buy some muslin cloth by length? I'd like to buy few meters and cut them up into sizes I desire. South dublin preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Can't find anywhere online in Ireland but cheapfabrics.co.uk sells it by the metre.
    http://www.cheapfabrics.co.uk/thestore/product_info.php/cPath/96_24/products_id/416

Edit: scratch that, found this place!

• Advertisement

My query (for today and probably only for now, there are always more queries!) is in relation to jury duty.
    I got called for jury duty a little while back and was fine with going. Now I find that its impossible for me to sit still for long periods of time (my back and pelvis get quite sore and uncomfortable) and I have to pee frequently. If I get picked to sit on a jury for a trial I won't be able to sit for hours on end while the trial progresses. Do you think I can be excused? I have to present myself for selection next Monday.
    I'll be 18+3 on Monday.

Just asked my brother (he's a barrister) and he said yes, get a note and you will be excused.

Merkin wrote: »
    Just asked my brother (he's a barrister) and he said yes, get a note and you will be excused.

Cool, thank you.
    Should I expect a bill via PM from your brother:P If so don't forget your own cut!

Have reached third trimester today, yay! Feels like a lovely milestone! :)

Yazers! Congratulations.

Now that I'm feeling better (and according to my big sis this will only improve until I get to about week 32 and she said I'll need to plan even turning over in bed at night:eek:- she's done this 3 times!) I'm dying for time to pass and get to the stage when I meet my little baby properly.
    I've always been rather impatient by nature.
    I also want something to show for all of the hard work my body is going every day! I have only the teeniest tiniest hint of a bump and thats late in the evening, my boobs are bigger too but thats all. Everything else is the same.
    As soon as I get a big bump I'll probably be dying to get to the other side of things. :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

j@utis wrote: »
    just a quick q: where could I buy some muslin cloth by length? I'd like to buy few meters and cut them up into sizes I desire. South dublin preferably.

i bought mine in Home Focus.

any fabric shop will have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Youre on the home straight now merkin! Yay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My query (for today and probably only for now, there are always more queries!) is in relation to jury duty.
    I got called for jury duty a little while back and was fine with going. Now I find that its impossible for me to sit still for long periods of time (my back and pelvis get quite sore and uncomfortable) and I have to pee frequently. If I get picked to sit on a jury for a trial I won't be able to sit for hours on end while the trial progresses. Do you think I can be excused? I have to present myself for selection next Monday.
    I'll be 18+3 on Monday.

Yeah you are excused from Jury Duty if you are pregnant! No matter how far along.

I've always been rather impatient by nature.
    I also want something to show for all of the hard work my body is going every day! I have only the teeniest tiniest hint of a bump and thats late in the evening, my boobs are bigger too but thats all. Everything else is the same.
    As soon as I get a big bump I'll probably be dying to get to the other side of things. :o

You remind me of me :D Having a bump is brilliant, you'll touch it and rub it and even when it makes you puff and pant and it makes you wheeze when you go up stairs you'll just LOVE it!! And getting to feel baby's kicks get stronger and more frequent, oh it's just fab. I got my first kicks at 19 weeks, now at 27 weeks she doesn't stop moving all day long and if I have something resting on belly lying down she'll kick it off. You have so much to look forward to right around the corner. Oh and you're boobs will keep getting bigger. So. Much. Bigger!!

My husband and I went for a sling consult last night, it was so much fun :) I hadn't even thought of babywearing before I got pregnant, now I can't wait and it feels like such a lovely thing to look forward to. I'm going to miss the bump so much when it's not there but having our new arrival in a sling up close to me will be even better. I think we're pretty much decided on a Kari-Me and a MeiTei. Has anyone else used them or been to a babywearing meet?

• Advertisement

I had a Mei Tai on my last and I loved it. Gave it away but will be buying a new one for this baby!

Advertisement