Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry CC support permit system which allows rural people drink and drive

Options
  • 21-01-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭

I can't believe this. I didn't think that this country could become any more backward. People need to stop voting for these idiots.
    Kerry County Councillors have backed a motion calling for a permit system to be introduced which would allow rural people drink in moderation and drive.
    The motion from Councillor Danny Healy-Rae was passed this afternoon five votes to three with the remainder of the 27 councillors either absent from the vote or abstaining.
    The four councillors who voted for the motion along with Cllr Healy-Rae are Michael Cahill, Johnny Healy-Rae, Bobby O’Connell and Michael O’Shea.
    Cllr Healy-Rae is calling on the Minister for Justice to bring in legislation which would allow Gardai issue permits to people living in isolated rural areas.
    These permits would allow people drive home from their nearest pub after having two or three drinks on little used roads, according to the councillor.
    They would also have to drive at very low speeds.
    Cllr Healy-Rae who is a publican says the permits could be issued at the discretion of local Gardai.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-county-councillor-support-permit-system-which-would-allow-rural-people-drink-in-moderation-and-drive/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭Bad Santa

OP, could you not wait until April 1st like everyone else.

EDIT: Good Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Bad Santa wrote: »
    OP, could you not wait until April 1st like everyone else.

EDIT: Good Christ.

I thought it was a big joke too, apparently it's not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

A mis guided publicity stunt to garner votes at next election. He'll probably win too, which is even scarier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Who is going to feed the gondola's?

Healy-Rae at it's best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

My county letting me down again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think it's a great idea. What about a dispensation for Kerry people to exceed speed limits and not pay car tax. Didn't they already have public meetings about not paying property tax or septic tank charge. They might as well go the whole hog and declare independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I want a special permit for me doing bank jobs. As long as it's under 10 million.

And assault and battery. As long as I cause no long term effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Eight of their 27 councillors bothered their arse to vote. The people of Kerry should be hounding those who didn't vote right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

As soon as I saw the thread title I got the whiff of Healy-Rae off it. What is their definition of 'drinking in moderation' I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Y'know those special permits that allows me to consumer cocaine and get points taken off my driving licence if I'm rich and/or live in a wealthy suburb of Dublin and/or have parents who have influence and/or are a prominent musician/presenter/sports personality.

Will this permit system work like that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

As soon as I saw the thread title I got the whiff of Healy-Rae off it. What is their definition of 'drinking in moderation' I wonder?
    About 6 pints

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭abbeyrock

You have to laugh, those guys are comical

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Pure coincidence on this matter that the Healy Rae's own a pub :)

This is pure madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I just heard this on the radio. A total and utter disgrace that this is even being contemplated.

I don't like getting stuck at traffic lights, it slows my journey time down, can I get a permit to drive through reds?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Y'know those special permits that allows me to consumer cocaine and get points taken off my driving licence if you're rich and/or live in a wealthy suburb of Dublin and/or have parents who have influence and/or are a prominent musician/presenter/sports personality.

Will this permit system work like that one?

You leave ______________ out of this! They were very honest in their heart to heart with Barry Egan in the Sunday Independent's LIFE section, and I will not have them or their families have that/those incidents brought up again.

Unbelievable stuff altogether :mad: Complete insult to the families of pedestrians that have been killed or maimed on the roads over the years due to drink-drivers.
    I hate if people would assume that this is the mindset of people living in rural areas. Being from a rural area myself im totally against drink driving. Its a selfish and mindless act.

If these moron politicians are so concerned that people live too far away from the pub maybe they could try push for improved transport in rural areas instead of this truly barbaric appalling proposal. Its high time some of the electorate cop themselves on and stop voting in these absolute imbeciles. To say this man is being voted into the national parliament based on campaigning for the likes of this is truly sickening :mad:

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Healy-Rae ya lunatic how do you keep coming up with this ingenious ideas. You truly are an inspiration to young aspiring politicians.

I think he should be taoiseach too.*

Edited to add extra sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea. What about a dispensation for Kerry people to exceed speed limits and not pay car tax. Didn't they already have public meetings about not paying property tax or septic tank charge. They might as well go the whole hog and declare independence.

Sure aren't they called the Kingdom already
    Pure coincidence on this matter that the Healy Rae's own a pub :)

This is pure madness.

that was the first thing i thought of when heard this story on the radio earlier

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

This is such a stupid publicity stunt. If these are put in place then it's fair game for them to be abused.. After a certain hour at night, most roads are empty so one could argue that such and such a road is "little used" what does two or three drinks mean? two or three pints or three shots, or three double whiskeys? wtf man, seriously uncool. Anyone that gets behind the wheel of a car under any type of substance rather it be drugs or drink is an idiot. Every time I use the road, I'd like to think I could put some trust and faith into other road users to be of sound mind as my life is in their hands and vice versa, this is just so backward.. It's 2013 not 1976

This is no doubt stupid and selfish as the man himself is a publican so I'm sure it'd be used to nothing more than his own advantage and some of his cronies.. jesus..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Could this island get any more ridiculous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Healy Rae's pub obviously suffering cause they can't drink and drive . Feck sake lads lets bring in a law to save us . How many drove home from the their 750 invited guests at their wedding recently after a few scoops . ? An absolute joke .
    If u get hit or injured because a guy or lady has the free pass to drink what happens then . Does that **** Kenny have any balls to get his house in order they may be independants but Christ they were elected and this could be a precident . Laughing stock we are well done Healy Rae . Ye have collectively caused this to be the most depressing day in 2013 .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

. What is their definition of 'drinking in moderation' I wonder?
    few naggins, be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I suppose if you don't like it then well don't come don't to kerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭Bad Santa

Wonder if there are any other laws they would like relaxed for them. I hear it's quite hard to get a bite to ate after a fade of drink, so maybe allow the raiding of local refrigerators of hang and tomatoes. Also notoriously difficult to pick up a member of the opposite sex in bog areas and sure five minutes of incest wouldn't harm a flea. Three schlaps should be the allowable limit on the sexual harassment of lounge boys and girls also, sure it's traditional.

krudler wrote: »
    Could this island get any more ridiculous?

Not quite Father Ted...but still

http://bolsterweb.com/images/irish_ted.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Publican Politician Healy-Rae is just looking after his pub his constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Bad Santa wrote: »
    Wonder if there are any other laws they would like relaxed for them. I hear it's quite hard to get a bite to ate after a fade of drink, so maybe allow the raiding of local refrigerators of hang and tomatoes. Also notoriously difficult to pick up a member of the opposite sex in bog areas and sure five minutes of incest wouldn't harm a flea. Three schlaps should be the allowable limit on the sexual harassment of lounge boys and girls also, sure it's traditional.

and are we allowed to borrow a car should we need to drink n drive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A Healy-Rae. What a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So in the land called Healy Rae does this mean the designated driver can now have a few pints as well,will he/she get them for free been the designated driver?

Advertisement