Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

€36 for 2.5kg on MyProtein

Just got 5kg choc protein for 69. Whey cheaper.
    Thanks

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Just got 5kg choc protein for 69. Whey cheaper.
    Thanks

Although the unflavoured is a good bit cheaper, I didn't want to chance it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Although the unflavoured is a good bit cheaper, I didn't want to chance it

I found it didn't take me long to get used to the unflavored one. Don't think I'll ever bother with the flavored ones again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I signed up to the myprotein newsletter. Not receiving any emails etc. any codes at all out there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

if anybody spots 5kg of hemp for less that the 100E on bulkpowders let me know!

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    I signed up to the myprotein newsletter. Not receiving any emails etc. any codes at all out there?

LUCKY15

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Deedsie wrote: »

There's 25% off today with code friday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm a tenner short of free BCAAs. What should I get? I don't need more Creatine. Might try some high protein soup?
    EDIT: Went with a pair of shorts and some samples!

35e off hemp protein, free delivery, 3 gifts. That was a good purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

On a whim I ordered waxy maize starch along with my usual supplements and I received the order today.
    I never had it before but now that I've tasted it I'm wondering, did I just buy fancy cornflour?

• Advertisement

On a whim I ordered waxy maize starch along with my usual supplements and I received the order today.
    I never had it before but now that I've tasted it I'm wondering, did I just buy fancy cornflour?
    Read a study on it recently and it's not all its made out to be apparently. Dextrose is much better

Read a study on it recently and it's not all its made out to be apparently. Dextrose is much better

To be honest I can't remember did I buy it to spike my insulin post workout or just for extra calories. Is there anything that it's particularly good for?
    By the look of it it'll turn my shakes to cement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To be honest I can't remember did I buy it to spike my insulin post workout or just for extra calories. Is there anything that it's particularly good for?
    By the look of it it'll turn my shakes to cement

It's touted as a 'fast carb' that is absorbed faster and means greater glycogen replenishment post workout.

But I think there's very little to back that up.

It's touted as a 'fast carb' that is absorbed faster and means greater glycogen replenishment post workout.

There was a study performed and dextrose outperformed it quite a bit

Yeah I could've just bought glucose out of a supermarket so really

Yeah I could've just bought glucose out of a supermarket so really

You could always just placebo some gainz with it.

You could always just placebo some gainz with it.

Oh I already add extra placebo to every shake!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There was a study performed and dextrose outperformed it quite a bit

I fail to see why anyone would take a supplement instead of some delicious cake if they're looking for an insulin spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Anyone know of a supplement or anything else they could suggest that would give a fella a bit of pep or energy boost , i like to try and go to the gym or a run early in the morning but even after a good sleep i tend to feel very sluggish and have to force myself, as i tend to go early i tend not to have any brekkie, maybe thats the problem, any suggestions:) would berroca be any good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

caffeine pills?

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Anyone know of a supplement or anything else they could suggest that would give a fella a bit of pep or energy boost , i like to try and go to the gym or a run early in the morning but even after a good sleep i tend to feel very sluggish and have to force myself, as i tend to go early i tend not to have any brekkie, maybe thats the problem, any suggestions:) would berroca be any good?

What works for me is
    1. A coffee in the house
    2. A cheapo redbull type thing in the car
    3. Death Metal in the car
    4. Half a caffine pill with the last of the redbull

If that doesn't leave you bright and breezy nothing will!

I've always found that just having my gear ready to go first thing takes any decision making out of it.

Not sure if it has a supplement equivalent...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I might try caffine pills, im not gone on coffee or red bull for that matter that just reminds me of vodka:D

How quick do caffeine pills kick in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Try pre workout from My Protein. It's not cheap (think it's about 30 quid for a tub which is 30 servings of 1 scoop), but I find it works. I don't drink coffee so find 1 scoop is enough for me to get the effects. But I have read reviews of people who drink coffee and they have said they needed 2 scoops per servings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I use the caffine powder from MyProtein and find it excellent. Kicks in after a few minutes and puts me in the zone straight away. It's definitely added to my workouts. It's cheap as chips, I've used about 1/4 of a bag after 6 months. Don't overdo it though, I find about a 1/4 teaspoon is just fine.

I used other pre-workout powders but found myself feeling quite low mood wise after them.

Anything wrong with soy protein (I didn't think so), just been reading stuff like this:

"I'd recommend staying away from SPI as much as possible. From the tone of the topic, I'd guess people would want to heavily supplement their diet with it. Too much SPI causes increase of IGF-1 in our blood stream, which is linked to cancer."

I found it more to be all protein excess in general when I looked:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17571965 This paper suggest that it's not about SPI but about too much protein in general: "These results suggest that dietary protein and soy isoflavones, in the context of comprehensive lifestyle changes, may not significantly alter IGF-1. However, given the recent literature indicating that high intake of protein rich in essential amino acids (animal or soy protein) may increase IGF-1, it may be prudent for men with early stage prostate cancer not to exceed dietary protein recommendations.""

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Ok, so I'm back in the market for a good mass gain supplement. Previously I've used Nutrition X (before it was sold off and became unavailable in Ireland) and more recently NX nutrition mass gainers,but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

I like both of these cause 1. they werent completely full of cr*p (sugar content was relatively low and protein seemed to be of reasonable quality) 2.it was good value for money

I was looking at impact weight gainer from my protein (raging I missed the 25%off deal yesterday)

Like everyone l guess I want a good supp that's affordable. Suppose you could say I want to have my cake supplement and eat drink it :D

Any suggestions??

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm back in the market for a good mass gain supplement. Previously I've used Nutrition X (before it was sold off and became unavailable in Ireland) and more recently NX nutrition mass gainers,but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

I like both of these cause 1. they werent completely full of cr*p (sugar content was relatively low and protein seemed to be of reasonable quality) 2.it was good value for money

I was looking at impact weight gainer from my protein (raging I missed the 25%off deal yesterday)

Like everyone l guess I want a good supp that's affordable. Suppose you could say I want to have my cake supplement and eat drink it :D

Any suggestions??

They're much cheaper and easier to make yourself. Fine oats and protein made with milk as well. Any I've seen are about 45g carbs and 30-35g protein with about 400 kcals.

I have the ultra fine oats which are about 30g carbs, 5g protein and 180 kcals in a 50g scoop. Scoop and a half with a scoop of whey and you're sorted.

• Advertisement

They're much cheaper and easier to make yourself. Fine oats and protein made with milk as well. Any I've seen are about 45g carbs and 30-35g protein with about 400 kcals.

I have the ultra fine oats which are about 30g carbs, 5g protein and 180 kcals in a 50g scoop. Scoop and a half with a scoop of whey and you're sorted.

What's the difference in using your oats instead of normal porridge oats?

Advertisement