Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I took creatine today for the first time. Teaspoon or so.

I'm not swole yet.

Is it broken and will I get my money back?

I'm not following?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm not following?

#follow4follow

#follow4follow

Even more lost now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I took creatine today for the first time. Teaspoon or so.

I'm not swole yet.

Is it broken and will I get my money back?

You're supposed to do a line of creatine once per day for the first week to make sure it reaches initial saturation in your brain. We call this the "loading phase".

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Preworkouts, folks. I'm thinking of attacking Bulkpowders and making my own.

How does the following sound to people:
    Creatine mono 5g
    Cirtrulline Malate 8g
    Caffeine 300mg
    Beta Alanine 2g (not a fan of the tingles)
    Acetyl L Carnitine 1g

Purchased as follows:
    Creatine Mono 500g 8.25
    Citrulline Malate 200g 24.98
    Beta Alanine 100g 3.84
    Caffeine 100g 4.49
    Acetyl L Carnitine 100g 9.99

Total Spend= 51.55 with some of the bottom two and creatine left over

Not too much of a supplement freak. I like a good preworkout (on cycles), then whey, creatine and the health ones.

• Advertisement

Have pre-workouts ever been shown to achieve anything that, say, water, sugar and a coffee don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Zillah wrote: »
    You're supposed to do a line of creatine once per day for the first week to make sure it reaches initial saturation in your brain. We call this the "loading phase".
    post picture of you holding your shoe just to be sure also, makes it easier to tell if doing it right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Have pre-workouts ever been shown to achieve anything that, say, water, sugar and a coffee don't?
    nope

Hi lads/ladies,
    I've got my hands on some protein bars that a friend had left over from some "diet". These are made for this diet program. Having a look at the ingredients, would they be ok for me to eat instead of buying quest bars. I've about 20 of these so I'd like to use them rather than throw them away

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi lads/ladies,
    I've got my hands on some protein bars that a friend had left over from some "diet". These are made for this diet program. Having a look at the ingredients, would they be ok for me to eat instead of buying quest bars. I've about 20 of these so I'd like to use them rather than throw them away

They aren't great in terms of food quality. Macros aren't terrible, 15p/4.7f/16c, but the source of those marcos are a bit meh.
    Soy protein isn't a great protein source afaik.
    Modified corn starch, fractioned palm oil, corn syrup, soy lecithin = not great ingredients, very processed.
    The peanut coating is sugar and oil, with a bit of peanut thrown in. Obviously not great.

But that said, it's only 160 cals per bar, which is about 1% of your weekly energy needs (per bar). So even if you ate 5 bars a week (a lot), its only 5% of your intake. There are far more important parts of your diet to worry about.
    Food quality is important (after total calories, and macros are addressed), but the 3 main meal you eat all week (75%) are way more important than some incidental protein bars (<5%).
    I’m a believer in not wasting food, so I’d eat them (over a few weeks) and not worry too much. But I wouldn’t buy them again. Get a better option, or better again make your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Anyone any new codes for myprotein?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Anyone any new codes for myprotein?

If you sign up to their website they'll send you every code you'll ever need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

If you sign up to their website they'll send you every code you'll ever need.

I have signed up to the newsletter. No codes coming through unfortunately

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

so are amino acid supplements pointless as you should be getting enough from all the protein you eat anyway? Or is there a purpose to getting more?

so are amino acid supplements pointless as you should be getting enough from all the protein you eat anyway? Or is there a purpose to getting more?

Depends. You talking abut EEAs or BCAAs?

The impact of BCAAs is limited by the least available EEA. If your EEAs are in short supply, then you're wasting your money.

The way around that is to get a good BCAAA supp, which would have a decent portion of BCAAs and you would get a bit of a boost to protein synthesis over and above that which you would get from whole protein consumption.

But, all of this is predicated on a lot of the fundamentals being in place in the first place. It can have an anti-fatigue benefit if you're training fasted but that seems to apply more to untrained people. If you've trained for any period of time, you're likely to be more resistant to fatigue.

[/as i understand it]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was thinking you get enough EEAs from the raw protein you eat anyway, to get the RDA anyway. i was wondering if there is an advantage to getting more in particular of any one over this base amount needed. So really I don't think it's possioble to have EEAs in short supply unless your protein is in short supply.

For BCAA, I was wondering what do they aid in in general. How do you mean a boost to synthesis?
    The fatigue thing isn't an issue anyway. I was thinking they are essentially for fasting people and do not aid with anything if you eat regularly.

IS BCAAA a thing or a typo?

I was thinking you get enough EEAs from the raw protein you eat anyway, to get the RDA anyway. i was wondering if there is an advantage to getting more in particular of any one over this base amount needed. So really I don't think it's possioble to have EEAs in short supply unless your protein is in short supply.

For BCAA, I was wondering what do they aid in in general. How do you mean a boost to synthesis?
    The fatigue thing isn't an issue anyway. I was thinking they are essentially for fasting people and do not aid with anything if you eat regularly.

IS BCAAA a thing or a typo?

It's a sausage-fingered typo.

Yes, you're right about EEAs being in short supply if you're not getting enough protein.

Boost protein synthesis, which is essentially the building of muscle.

If you take BCAAs in isolation you probably won't get any additional benefit.

Long story short - I'd save your money. If you have everything else nailed on then you might consider it but I'm not sure how noticeable it's likely to be.

Can anyone reccomend a cheap whey protein I can buy?
    Holland and Barrett do a 900g tub, buy one get one free so basically it's 1800g for €55. How does that compare to others?

Holland and Barrett do a 900g tub, buy one get one free so basically it's 1800g for €55. How does that compare to others?

€36 for 2.5kg on MyProtein

Always get your whey online.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Always get your whey online.

only whey to do it

I meant to add that the MyProtein whey has probably got a much better protein content than the stuff in H&B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I Just got €7 off my 2.5Kg pure whey protein at Bulkpowders! worked out at 32 quid delivered!

Discount code 20EAU - expires tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

€55 for <2kg? No whey bro

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Sale at theproteinworks.com also. I go for strawberry flavour and I've had both TPW and Bulkpowders. Find TPW's much tastier and it's €53 for a 4kg bag at the moment.

I Just got €7 off my 2.5Kg pure whey protein at Bulkpowders! worked out at 32 quid delivered!

Discount code 20EAU - expires tomorrow

They do some good deals!

My last 2 transactions with them netted me 8.5kg of whey for €90

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Ekels wrote: »
    Sale at theproteinworks.com also. I go for strawberry flavour and I've had both TPW and Bulkpowders. Find TPW's much tastier and it's €53 for a 4kg bag at the moment.

I'm one of those mad people who likes different flavours so always pay extra for the 1kg bags :o:o But even then the bulk suppliers prices are decent.

Yeah I love their site. I've used it twice and got 10kg of pea protein for 65e including shipping. Also have loyalty points and referrals to use so that is pretty sweet.

Yeah I love their site. I've used it twice and got 10kg of pea protein for 65e including shipping. Also have loyalty points and referrals to use so that is pretty sweet.

They would have to pay me 65e to accept pea protein ever again.

• Advertisement

Yeah I tried it with water, NEVER again. Luckily all I generally taste is peanut butter and cocao in everything I drink :D

Advertisement