Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking News - Steven Colvert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Aye, just seems a strange system, as was drop from the Irish Team when results came out first?

that's fair enough. You couldn't send an athlete to the europeans with that hanging over them, and if the B sample is positive anything he did there would be wiped from the records

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    that's fair enough. You couldn't send an athlete to the europeans with that hanging over them, and if the B sample is positive anything he did there would be wiped from the records

Yeah i understand that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Any ban will be backdated to reflect the fact that he's not competing

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

He'll be cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

He'll be cleared

what makes you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

The Jeptoo thread reminded me of the fact that there has been no closure here. Anyone actually know what's going on with this case?? I've heard some pretty startling rumours, which are bound to develop considering the apparent complete official silence on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

No idea of the status of this, however, the latest IAAF list of athletes sanctioned for anti-doping violations has only Irish athlete listed: Tomas RAUKTYS, who will be eligible to compete from 14 August 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Enduro wrote: »
    The Jeptoo thread reminded me of the fact that there has been no closure here. Anyone actually know what's going on with this case?? I've heard some pretty startling rumours, which are bound to develop considering the apparent complete official silence on the matter.

The appeal is still on going so there will be no official announcement until due process is complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

The appeal is still on going so there will be no official announcement until due process is complete.

Ball park of when this will be?

Just saw on Twitter now that he's been cleared. Will be back with a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All i saw on twitter was one person saying they'd heard he'd been cleared, but no source provided.

Murph_D wrote: »
    All i saw on twitter was one person saying they'd heard he'd been cleared, but no source provided.

Yeah Thomas Chamney was the person I saw who tweeted about it. Couldn't find any article or other link, I assume it will come out over the next day or two if it's true. The JTG lads will know about it before anyone else I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Yeah Thomas Chamney was the person I saw who tweeted about it. Couldn't find any article or other link, I assume it will come out over the next day or two if it's true. The JTG lads will know about it before anyone else I'd imagine.

I don't think Colvert will be thanking Chamney for his contribution. He is presenting quite a complex defence and the case is still ongoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I don't think Colvert will be thanking Chamney for his contribution. He is presenting quite a complex defence and the case is still ongoing.
    Does that mean the b sample was positive also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He received his ban today whilst still claiming innocence, he says it's a miscarriage of justice.

2 years backdated to when he tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How can people continue to claim innocence when their sample has EPO in it?

Just makes them look bad imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's pretty adamant, check out his twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He's pretty adamant, check out his twitter.

... they all are.

Will the racing community in Ireland treat him the same way they treated Fagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Will the racing community in Ireland treat him the same way they treated Fagan?

Seen as he's not a marathon runner, most people have no idea who he is so I would guess not. I'm sure him competitors wouldn't be too happy about his return, but the general athletics public in Ireland don't know or care about sprinters and won't even here about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

pconn062 wrote: »
    Seen as he's not a marathon runner, most people have no idea who he is so I would guess not. I'm sure him competitors wouldn't be too happy about his return, but the general athletics public in Ireland don't know or care about sprinters and won't even here about this.

Funny thing is that he and Fagan would be of a very similar standard when at their best.

It doesn't sit with me right tbh. Something just doesn't seem right. A 200m runner taking EPO in summer? It doesn't make any sense. In winter yes, but not in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that he and Fagan would be of a very similar standard when at their best.

It doesn't sit with me right tbh. Something just doesn't seem right. A 200m runner taking EPO in summer? It doesn't make any sense. In winter yes, but not in summer.
    Maybe he confused his summer dose for his winter dose, took the wrong tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Maybe he confused his summer dose for his winter dose, took the wrong tablet.

The only thing I can think of is that he may use EPO in summer to aid recovery so he can hammer out an extra 1-2 hard speed sessions a week. But from what I've heard, he's not the hardest trainer in the world so I can't imagine that to be the case.

I think if a sprinter wants to cheat there's so many better things to be taking. I'm not saying he didn't take it, but if he did I really don't understand why.

The only thing I can think of is that he may use EPO in summer to aid recovery so he can hammer out an extra 1-2 hard speed sessions a week. But from what I've heard, he's not the hardest trainer in the world so I can't imagine that to be the case.

I think if a sprinter wants to cheat there's so many better things to be taking. I'm not saying he didn't take it, but if he did I really don't understand why.

But didn't Ben Johnson admit he had to take his drugs at the wrong time due to his schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/18/AR2006081800926.html
    The substance for which Jones tested positive is erythropoietin (EPO)... EPO, considered a popular drug among distance runners and cyclists, was not known to be helpful to sprinters until the Balco scandal unfolded. U.S. sprinter Kelli White, who lost two world sprint titles because of drug charges, admitted using it along with steroids.

Victor Conte provided it to Dwain Chambers primarily during the off-season but not necessarily exclusively.
    EPO was used three days per week during the "corrective phase", which is the first two weeks of a cycle. Typically, it was on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It was only used once per week during the "maintenance phase" thereafter, typically this was every Wednesday. The dosage was 4,000 IU per injection. The purpose was to increase the red blood cell count and enhance oxygen uptake and utilization. This substance provides a big advantage to sprinters because it enables them to do more track repetitions and obtain a much deeper training load during the off season.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/athletics/7403158.stm

Nobody says that is the only drug he was taking, just the only one he was caught for.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

maybe he isn't the brightest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Maybe it was a long term plan, and he was in a building phase and wrote of that summer already. Doesn't really matter why another Irish drug cheat caught.

To be honest, even if he is innocent, he is better off walking away from the sport and work on his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

maybe he isn't the brightest?
    Just completed a law degree, so he must be book smart at very least..

As others have said, better off walking away and getting on with his life IMHO

Advertisement