Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Prefer Here maps myself.

maximoose wrote: »
    Agreed, bar their dodgy pronunciation of Irish street names I've never had an issue with the navigation on google maps

I loved the pronunciations - OK Google, show me a map of Dun Laoghaire.

"Here's a map of Done Lay-o-hare"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I loved the pronunciations - OK Google, show me a map of Dun Laoghaire.

"Here's a map of Done Lay-o-hare"

I like how in some cases they read both the Irish and English names... Both of which they get wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I miss the weather app chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Google suggested I lose some weight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Google suggested I lose some weight

exercise is great for that, just make sure and check the weather before you go out so you don't get caught in a shower...

mossym wrote: »
    exercise is great for that, just make sure and check the weather before you go out so you don't get caught in a shower...

Could you possibly recommend a weather app for such an activity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I can try and recommend 7 but not sure which one I'm looking at, at the minute that says it's not raining or might be in 20 minutes.. :|
    Anyone else got any I can add to my phone? :D:o

Again-- speaking of Google Now -- I didn't realize that if you had locations turned on on your photos, you can say "show me my photos from Spain" and it'll show you all the ones that were tagged as such.

Plus some pretty interesting stuff being reported over on Reddit right now.
    So I was just playing around with learning some new voice commands I've never used before. I was reading this article from cnet who have put together a decent comprehensive list of commands you can try.
    I was playing around with the 'OK Google, show me some of my photos from...' So I tried some places I had recently visited, San Francisco worked perfectly. Then Spain, all good, this is awesome!
    Then I get emotional. Google made me cry. I went for 'OK Google, show me some of my photos from Nice, France'.
    She came back saying this to me:
    "According to Gmail, firstly let me express my deepest sympathy to you, your mum and the whole family at your loss. Your dad was a fantastic man, as I am sure you already know."
    Mind. Blown. I'm sad, I'm amazed, I'm taken back. What a lovely moment for some automated robot voice to express it's sympathy to me.
    It turns out she read out a snippet from an email I received from a family friend soon after my Dad's death. But the fact that she knew to say it was pretty staggering, it was in the 3rd paragraph of an email sent to me back in December 2010.

They then attached this video as proof -

• Advertisement

It's hard to tell, because it happened yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's hard to tell, because it happened yesterday.

The Google pranks started at the beginning of the day in Australia, so yesterday to us & one has seriously backfired.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/01/google-disables-april-fools-joke-gmail-mic-drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Any Pushbullet users on here?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pushbullet.android&hl=en

I find it a great app for sending links, pictures files, between my all my devices:

My android phone, my ipad, my windows desktop and laptop.

Its also handy for mirroring notification from your phone to your desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Doge wrote: »

I find it a great app for sending links, pictures files, between my all my devices:

Brilliant app. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the reply button for KIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Doge wrote: »

Used to until they started stripping features for premium (after saying existing functionality would stay as is and premium would be new).

Using Join at the moment which isnt as polished but does work well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Used to until they started stripping features for premium (after saying existing functionality would stay as is and premium would be new).

Using Join at the moment which isnt as polished but does work well.

Personally, I like airdroid. Any advantages to using these over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Does anyone know of an app that would get me out of difficult situation ie make the phone ring on command, I know there is app that you can programme to ring at a certain time but looking for an app that would ring maybe by pressing power button etc,

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

muirsheen wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an app that would get me out of difficult situation ie make the phone ring on command, I know there is app that you can programme to ring at a certain time but looking for an app that would ring maybe by pressing power button etc,

Thanks

You could probably get tasker to do it but a fake call app would be much easier to set up.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement

muirsheen wrote: »

Thanks

Never tried either but
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.popularapp.fakecall&hl=en
    and
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.FakeCall2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Patww79 wrote: »

I used a garmin for years, arrival time was always ridiculous, out by hours sometimes. Google Maps is amazingly accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seeing as I can't install the stock LG Keyboard on the Galaxy S7, does anyone know of a keyboard that lets you move keys around?
    I need to offset my space-bar to the right like I could on the LG to stop.everything.coming.out.like.this.

Can't go wrong with SwiftKey, best keyboard in the store. Very customisable also, worth checking out!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Is that all apple stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Personally, I like airdroid. Any advantages to using these over it?

Havent used airdroid in a long time so I'm not sure how it is now. I just couldnt get used to it being a full suite. Found it overkill. Thats just my personal feeling though.

• Advertisement

Been playing a bit of Idle Warriors: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orca.dungeon&hl=en

In-app purchases haven't encroached at all so far. You don't really "play" it so to speak. It's a clicker game without actually clicking so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Looking G for the best app for sports results & fixtures, league tables etc. One that includes odds would be handy but I'm happy with one without odds if it's better all round.
    Currently using livescore but it's only for current fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭GBX

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking G for the best app for sports results & fixtures, league tables etc. One that includes odds would be handy but I'm happy with one without odds if it's better all round.
    Currently using livescore but it's only for current fixtures.
    Flashscore is great. Has live tables, odds. Fairly complete app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Depends on the sports really, Fotmob pro is probably the best for football, flashscores I like for golf, twitter probably best for Gaa results.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

SofaScore for football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does anyone know if there are any apps available to set you Wear watch to take a heart rate reading at certain intervals?

I think I remember someone asking on Boards before but I can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Looks interesting, how useful is it for irish specific stuff. For example could I get notifications about GAA related games perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Epic War 2 TD is currently 10c on Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amtgames.ewtd2

Worth a go at that price, especially if you like tower defencev games.

Looks interesting, how useful is it for irish specific stuff. For example could I get notifications about GAA related games perhaps?

Had a log mess around with that app. Seems like it's not ready for this side of the Atlantic yet.
    Great idea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

duridian wrote: »
    Epic War 2 TD is currently 10c on Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amtgames.ewtd2

Worth a go at that price, especially if you like tower defencev games.

Nice one. I love tower defence games! Just came on here to see if anyone had any recommendations now that I've finished Kingdom Rush. Keep them coming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Is there a good app that lets your phone act as a universal remote control for a number of devices such as tv, stereo etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

LG1234 wrote: »
    Is there a good app that lets your phone act as a universal remote control for a number of devices such as tv, stereo etc?

Peel remote or SURE. You need an IR blaster for most devices. Peel is the nicer one of those apps so try that first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sony have an app for their phones called TV Sideview it's primarily a TV listing app but it also has a feature which lets me control my Wifi enabled Blu Ray player (also a Sony)
    On this BD player I can also access casting controls from the Netflix and Youtube apps on my phone. I imagine this is doable among many smart tvs Bluray players etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

you need either equipment that connects to wifi,
    or
    a phone with a built in ir blaster,
    or
    harmony remotes have an expensive little device that'll do it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

LG1234 wrote: »

Don't know an individual app but sky+ for remote controlling tv ( you will have to stand up and turn tv on) if you have sky. Unified Remote to control your pc.
    A Bluetooth receiver to play any music on your phone or tablet through your stereo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Don't know an individual app but sky+ for remote controlling tv ( you will have to stand up and turn tv on) if you have sky. Unified Remote to control your pc.
    A Bluetooth receiver to play any music on your phone or tablet through your stereo.

I think there was an update to Sky that allows the box turn your TV on and off over the HDMI cable (if your tv supports it, my 2 year old Samsung does)

nedd wrote: »
    I think there was an update to Sky that allows the box turn your TV on and off over the HDMI cable (if your tv supports it, my 2 year old Samsung does)

I think your are right. I think my tv does turn on but only when I take the sky box out of standby.

I have a laptop connected to the TV and find a wireless Xbox 360 controller is a good remote for watching Netflix and stuff. If you combine it with xpadder you can decide which buttons do what.

Edit sorry forgot this was android apps and games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Had been trying this out the last few days on apps like Facebook and WhatsApp as I have my security set to allow instant unlock in certain places like home, work, the car. Works a treat, don't see any reason why the free version wouldn't suit most people. Worked perfectly each time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamemalt.applocker.pro

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement