Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    dub8 wrote: »
    hey

im trying to decide which half marathon to do this year ( it will be my first)! ,limerick, wexford or cork??? too many options!

anyone any thoughts which one would be good for a first timer ??? am up to 15k's on my long runs in about 1hr20mins..

cheers!

I did the Dublin half as my first last year and I found it fine, I suppose it depends what you want.

If you want support for the crowds I suppose Cork would be bigger then the likes of Limerick so it mights be a good one to start with....but then future half marathons could be a let down for you due to the lack of support at them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub8

thanks!

might give cork a go so! want something a bit different from the phoenix park , as i run there a lot, so cork might be nicer than the dublin ! if its not too hilly...

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

Cork Half-Mar is pretty flat. There are 3 short sharp hills and a few drags, other than that it's pretty flat. The hills are all about 50 - 100m long, at about 3/4 mile, just after Blackrock Castle (Half Mar goes up the marina, like the marathon used to, while the Marathon and Relay turn off onto the walkway, as last year). The second hill is about 4 miles, while the 3rd is about 7-ish. [Trying to work out miles based on Marathon miles :rolleyes:]

The Marathon/Relay and Half-Mar share much of the same course. The first 1/4 mile or so (of the HM) is new, then it joins the Marathon course for about 1/3rd mile, before splitting, as above. The HM then continues up thro Blackrock Village and up the Marina, rejoining the Marathon course a few metres after the 15M mark. From then on the courses are common.

Weather permitting, the Marathon and HM courses will be remeasured this week-end, and the Marathon will be submitted, via the AAI, for recognition as an official IAAF Olympic Qualifier. It already has AIMS approval and therefore is, among others, a Boston qualifying race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Got my race number for this on Fri, thought I was being a bit over-eager to enter when I saw I got #19 but then found out that two people I know got #18 & #15!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

opus wrote: »
    Got my race number for this on Fri, thought I was being a bit over-eager to enter when I saw I got #19 but then found out that two people I know got #18 & #15!

The locals will think ur an elite Opus ( Btw Im hopefully pacing so dont bring the rain with u :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

3 stars (average)

It was cheaper to sign up early & now we're elite runners!

liamo123 wrote: »
    The locals will think ur an elite Opus ( Btw Im hopefully pacing so dont bring the rain with u :D )

and yes he more than likly will bring the rain with him!:P

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »

Very good, which time band are you pacing for it?
    corked wrote: »
    and yes he more than likly will bring the rain with him!:P

Unfortunately my hit rate for marathons in the lashing rain is 66% :)

(Off a very small sample size mind you)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

4 stars (good)

Unfortunately my hit rate for marathons in the lashing rain is 66% :)

We should be paying you not to enter, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

Aimman wrote: »
    We should be paying you not to enter, :D
    Don't wish for something - You might actually get it!
    Remember the heat of 2007/8/9 :eek:

Maybe something in between might be nice instead!

Roll on the Relay! Way to go 'C Team - Cancer Survivors' !! This'll be our third outing in the CCM relay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    Got my confirmation letter in the post today which included my race number, I expected up in the 1000's what I got was below 200...strange :D

Still nice and easy remember I suppose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Hi there, I've recently decided to take my running more seriously and not just as a tool for fitness for soccer. I love running and hope to make it my main sport. So with that in mind I've decided to give the Cork City marathon a bash. Could anybody tell me what the course is like? I'm alot more familiar with Dublin but I feel that if I push I should be able for June in Cork. Thanks

4 stars (good)
    Hi there, I've recently decided to take my running more seriously and not just as a tool for fitness for soccer. I love running and hope to make it my main sport. So with that in mind I've decided to give the Cork City marathon a bash. Could anybody tell me what the course is like? I'm alot more familiar with Dublin but I feel that if I push I should be able for June in Cork. Thanks

See the earlier posts in this thread for all the info, Condo121 even has photos of the entire route here.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    Lads im training now for the ccm longest ive done is the cork to cobh 15miles last october .
    never done anything else race wise, have a taken on a bit much entering a marathon?
    I heard the cork one was flat enough and training in cobh means i run up hills every day training is going well im doing george andersons sub 4hr training program and finding it easy enough altho the long miles are yet to come.
    Anyone got any vital tips or good spots in cork to go and do the long runs on sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    elnino23 wrote: »
    IAnyone got any vital tips or good spots in cork to go and do the long runs on sundays?

The Farm in curraheen is usually a good spot as there is generally a good few running there, although some might find it a bit repetitive for long runs. Although I find it handy as you can have a sip of water every ~2.25 miles, and running on grass gives the legs a break, than to be doing all long runs on road.

4 stars (good)
    Noticed that the entry prices take a jump on April 1st so thought I'd post a reminder to save you a few € if you're thinking of signing up.
    • Marathon goes from €62 to €72
    • Relay goes from €93 to €103
    • Half goes from €42 to €52

Goes up again then on May 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

4 stars (good)
    Noticed that the entry prices take a jump on April 1st so thought I'd post a reminder to save you a few € if you're thinking of signing up.
    • Marathon goes from €62 to €72
    • Relay goes from €93 to €103
    • Half goes from €42 to €52
    Goes up again then on May 1st.

Myself and a work colleague (who is running his first marathon, and is going to kick my ass) registered today to avail of the lowest price.

4 stars (good)
    I registered last night and it mentioned that I will receive an email. Didn't receive any email yet. Did anybody who registered get the email or does it take a few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    I registered last night and it mentioned that I will receive an email. Didn't receive any email yet. Did anybody who registered get the email or does it take a few days?

It's happened to a few people alright.
    You should contact Gina Johnson
    info@corkcitymarathon.ie

I'd say they recieved your application but at least they'll get your confirmation mail out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

4 stars (good)
    I registered a couple of days ago and did not receive any confirmation. I can see my name in the Entrants search. I sent a mail to info@corkcitymarathon.ie to check.

4 stars (good)
    Did anyone else snag an entry to Sonia's training camp in CIT next Sat morning? Have to say I'm quite looking forward to it!
    As a participant in this year’s marathon, you are invited to join Sonia O’Sullivan at a training session to help you prepare for the upcoming Bord Gáis Energy Cork City Marathon. As Sonia herself will be running the marathon this year, she will share her tips and advice for a successful finish on 6th June!

Sonia will host a training session at the Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) track, Bishopstown, at 9am on Saturday 2nd April for two hours. Following that, there will be a seminar with talks from experts including sports psychologist Canice Kennedy, physiotherapist to Cork hurlers Declan O’Sullivan, Fit Squad coach Kate Ryan and, of course, a few words from Sonia herself.

Closing date for registration is 29th March.

Places are limited and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I think it took about 36 hours for my confirmation email to arrive after I'd registered/paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    I registered Sunday night and still no confirmation. Its a bit strange how long it takes. I'll email them now.

4 stars (good)
    I got onto them and it looks like they have an issue with hotmail and possibly other email providers. Think the mail is recognised as spam and goes to your junk mail. I'm not sure that this is true as I'm fairly sure I didn't get it in my junk mail box either.
    Anyway they rang me back and I am registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    Emailed Gina and its all sorted. She said they had problems with hotmail accounts. Dont know what that could have been but at least I know my team is registered. All I have to do now is train!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

Just noticed this on the CCM website

The number of participants in the half marathon has been capped at 1,000 and we are likely to be at capacity over the coming weekend. Please enter now to avoid disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

trats wrote: »

The number of participants in the half marathon has been capped at 1,000 and we are likely to be at capacity over the coming weekend. Please enter now to avoid disappointment.

Crikey. I wonder if the number of relay teams might suffer as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I applied about 10.30 last night ( thrs) and got confirmation email before midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

trats wrote: »

This is slightly funny ! if they are near capacity, then encouraging people to apply is likely to result in more ....people being disappointed !:D

4 stars (good)
    Sonia's training session today was really good, not a huge crowd there probably only 40ish people. The training part consisted of a 3.5km warmup, followed by a track session of 1m LT running followed by a 400m interval repeated by four and then another 3.5km cooldown.

Changing/shower facilities were there so afterwards there was a light lunch followed by seminars on marathon mental preparation, running injuries & nutrition plus some words from Sonia herself.

Personally I'd have been happy just for the chance to do any bit of running with an elite athlete like her so everything else was just a bonus on top. Would highly recommend signing up for any more of them that crop up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    Did anyone else snag an entry to Sonia's training camp in CIT next Sat morning? Have to say I'm quite looking forward to it!

Thats really annoyed me! when did you get that invite? i entered in late febuary and never got that invite!
    Id have loved to have gone on that!

Advertisement