Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

clog wrote: »
    Zondas at 210 euro from wiggle !!!. These won't last long.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/

Couldn't turn it down, early Christmas present to me!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

You got the last set!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

There must be something in the water today following the Zonda deal.

Shimano RS610 wheels, tubeless compatible e109.95 from Rose

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/shimano-wh-rs610-28700-c-road-wheel-set/aid:742753/

The cheapest I can find these wheels anywhere else is 199 and even then its with significant discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭pats22b

stecleary wrote: »
    aren't they pretty much the same wheel?

nah i think they are comparable to around fulcrum 3s - the campy shamals are more like the zeros

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Zondas at 210 euro from wiggle !!!. These won't last long.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/

Cheers for the heads-up, savage deal.

Thought I'd gotten my hands on a pair but just logged into my Wiggle account and it says the order was cancelled by Wiggle. Should've paid for the priority despatch :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Lads anyone know what these Shimanos are like.
    Just ordered a set for winter bike.
    What would they compare to in Fulcrum or Mavics.

D

There must be something in the water today following the Zonda deal.

Shimano RS610 wheels, tubeless compatible e109.95 from Rose

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/shimano-wh-rs610-28700-c-road-wheel-set/aid:742753/

The cheapest I can find these wheels anywhere else is 199 and even then its with significant discount.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What about these?
    £195 ex shipping but seem quite light for the price
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-28-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Discussion of the cancelled Wiggle Zonda offer has been moved to a new thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057313272

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

€10 voucher for alimsysports, the code is tenner.

www.alimaysports.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Picked up a very spiffy looking blue & silver helmet at the Clarehall Tesco yesterday, for the princely sum of 13 euros.

Took it into my local bike shop today, as I was convinced there had to be a catch. They said it was a perfectly acceptable helmet...doesn't have any of the fancier bells & whistles...light on the back, stream lined design for racing, better vents on top, etc etc, but other than that, it was a perfectly acceptable helmet. Score !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Picked up a very spiffy looking blue & silver helmet at the Clarehall Tesco yesterday, for the princely sum of 13 euros.

Took it into my local bike shop today, as I was convinced there had to be a catch. They said it was a perfectly acceptable helmet...doesn't have any of the fancier bells & whistles...light on the back, stream lined design for racing, better vents on top, etc etc, but other than that, it was a perfectly acceptable helmet. Score !

Why did you bring it to your local bike shop, do you trust their opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

People are funny, fellow called in to my LBS and asked to measure his head for a helmet his going to buy online. Don't mind buying stuff online/Tesco/Aldi/Lidl but common sense says not to go and advertise it in LBS.

LBS is a business and they have to pay all the bills, electricity, rent, wages, vat, rates and many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Do they have them in plain black (with rear light)? I'm missed them in Lidl recently.

I've noticed no major brands except Abus have helmets with rear lights.

Do they have them in plain black (with rear light)? I'm missed them in Lidl recently.

Carrera (not the Halfords brand) do a really nice helmet with an integrated light. I think it's called the Pistard, and looks a bit better than some of the others with lights attached.
    They do pretty plain colours too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

inc21 wrote: »
    People are funny, fellow called in to my LBS and asked to measure his head for a helmet his going to buy online. Don't mind buying stuff online/Tesco/Aldi/Lidl but common sense says not to go and advertise it in LBS.

LBS is a business and they have to pay all the bills, electricity, rent, wages, vat, rates and many more.

Its like going into your local pub and asking for a few tasters to see what you like, then telling the barman which one you like, thanks for the help, and that you are going to pop down and pick it up from the Off License.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its like going into your local pub and asking for a few tasters to see what you like, then telling the barman which one you like, thanks for the help, and that you are going to pop down and pick it up from the Off License.

I know! Regardless of the shop being online or not - doing that is unbelievable.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Why did you bring it to your local bike shop, do you trust their opinion?

Yes. I do. I have purchased a fair bit of gear there over the past month. They have been great about letting me pick their brains, without hustling me into buying their stuff. They told me what the pros and cons were of going with a cheap Tesco helmet, and let me make my own mind up from there.

I don't remember the exact colours to be honest. Sorry. I think most of them were fairly muted. I don't remember too many vivid colours.They didn't come with lights.

Bringing in an item purchased else where, may seem like a cheeky thing to do, but their help and advise is the reason I shop there. They know that. I wouldn't dream of just bringing it into some random shop and expecting them to give me an opinion on it. That's just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

To be honest I dont think you got any particularly great bargain, you bought a cheap helmet cheap. And what else could your LBS say about it, they sell helmets, that doesn't make them experts on the subject.

To be honest I dont think you got any particularly great bargain, you bought a cheap helmet cheap. And what else could your LBS say about it, they sell helmets, that doesn't make them experts on the subject.

Maybe so. But where else would you suggest I go for advise on cycling gear....the local pet store? :eek:

I'm just a beginner. For now, all my cycling is fairly low speed, low intensity, urban cycling, done during the day, on a completely flat cycle path, for about 60-90 minutes. I have no particular need for an aerodynamic design, or straps that can be adjusted 56 different ways, or lights. This helmet suits my needs, as they are now, just fine. If I decide to upgrade later, I will, but for now, this one is fine. So I do think I got a bargain. If you don't, that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Nothing like a bit of neck

2 ways at looking at this
    1.Lbs can be a little more expensive for obvious reasons but you need to play ball as if your ever in trouble they will help you out.Coming in showing them a helmet from Tesco for €13 isn't doing yourself any favours.

2.It reminds the bike shop people can go elsewhere to shop although if you buy a helmet in Tesco for €13 are they really worried as they say last of the big spenders you are hardly going to spend big money on bikes and gear.

Will the lbs give him the time of day again or take him serious and all for the sake of a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

No problem with Tesco helmets, it was a bargain. I started off with helmet from Tesco. All we are saying is don't go to your local bike shop saying that you got a bargain elsewhere, it is just rude. They might be your friends and appreciate your business but deep down it still hurts and makes you look like idiot in their eyes.

...ok rant over, back to bargains.

Wow. There is some bang of snobbery from people here, who don't know a thing about what happened.

In the past 2 weeks, I purchased an air pump, puncture repair kits, an Altura nero jacket, 2 spare tubes, 2 pairs of shorts & new gloves, in this shop. I also had mirrors and lights fitted, that were bought there. I was in there to see about getting better Kevlar tires fitted on my bike, when the topic of helmets came up. I mentioned the Tesco helmet and said that it was probably a piece of crap, as it was so cheap. They told me that all helmets sold, have to meet certain manufacturing standards, so if it was sold in a legit retailer it was probably ok, but that I could bring it in to them to have a look at it, if I still wasn't sure.

So I did. They know I am just a beginner and am just starting out and need all the help I can get. If that make me an idiot in their eyes, well so be it. They are a lot less judgmental than some of the people on here, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Wow. There is some bang of snobbery from people here, who don't know a thing about what happened.

In the past 2 weeks, I purchased an air pump, puncture repair kits, an Altura nero jacket, 2 spare tubes, 2 pairs of shorts & new gloves, in this shop. I also had mirrors and lights fitted, that were bought there. I was in there to see about getting better Kevlar tires fitted on my bike, when the topic of helmets came up. I mentioned the Tesco helmet and said that it was probably a piece of crap, as it was so cheap. They told me that all helmets sold, have to meet certain manufacturing standards, so if it was sold in a legit retailer it was probably ok, but that I could bring it in to them to have a look at it, if I still wasn't sure.

So I did. They know I am just a beginner and am just starting out and need all the help I can get. If that make me an idiot in their eyes, well so be it. They are a lot less judgmental than some of the people on here, that's for sure.

Fair play to the shop. Sounds like a very decent crew operationg there. Good luck with the cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Sorry but you didn't give that perception ,thats a different story altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Lidl are having a warehouse clearance sale in Fonthill. A lot of there usual stuff at half the price or more. If you are a size large or more you will be made up. I'm only 68kg and a medium so i got the only medium i seen in the shop, a 3/4 pair of shorts at 5 euro. Also got a bike cover at 2 euro and gloves also 2 euro. No winter gloves but plenty of other stuff to keep you warm if your the right size.

This might not be a bargain to most but well worth a look if your in need of some near gear.

codie wrote: »
    Sorry but you didn't give that perception ,thats a different story altogether.

No, it's not. I already said that I was a good customer of the shop, that had bought a considerable amount of there, prior to showing them the Tesco helmet. I didn't know that I'd have to provide a list of items bought there, or give an exact blow by blow account of the entire conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

The amount of "discussions" in this thread is ridiculous.

It should be limited to posting a link to the bargain (or B+M shop name, location) and a description

People who subscribe to this thread just get spammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

mathie wrote: »
    The amount of "discussions" in this thread is ridiculous.

It should be limited to posting a link to the bargain (or B+M shop name, location) and a description

People who subscribe to this thread just get spammed.

You just won the Most Meta Complaint award!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

buffalo wrote: »
    You just won the Most Meta Complaint award!

Do I get bonus points for doing it at the start of a bank holiday weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD NOTE: If you have an issue with a thread or string of posts, use the report button, don't complain in thread, the next person to do so will find themselves having a holiday. It's nearly the weekend, I have better things to do.

EDIT: FFS: I am not cleaning that up, report posts if you have an issue in future.

Please try and keep the thread on topic of "BARGAIN ALERTS"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement