Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

copacetic wrote: »
    why would the people answering the phones know that info? (or reveal it if they did when they can't stand over it until after the sat is in orbit? )

Does it really scan to you that know one knew about it? Who did all the work and planning then?

What RTE NL are saying publicly is that they have no idea what the plan is . I agree its strange but I can only go by what i've been told . Why mention KA band at all in that case? What definitely does not scan is that one guy in RTE NL was happy to talk to me one day and then clammed up the next. If you think about it the satellite service could in theory be used to replace transmitters which could affect jobs so perhaps that has something to do with it. Just so you know the people who answer the phones in RTE NL are technicians so they should know what satellite they plan to use regardless as to whether it has been successfully launched or not.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

ynotdu wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67170570&postcount=122

The rudeness that has entered the the broadcasting forums have ruined them,including You at times Watty Who as a Mod was always a gent.

Did ICDG post the above for "the Craic" I wonder?

If You's want it to be a discussion forum for only those who already know all the answers why not make it private?

Why not report the posts you have a problem with. That is what icdg suggested afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Why not report the posts you have a problem with. That is what icdg suggested afterall.

because not only does it go against My nature to jump on report buttons.It is down to the fact that i respect very much the intelligence of the guys with expertise to pull back from squabbles and put downs all by themselves.
    Everybody including Me 'lose it' a bit sometimes,human nature being the reason.
    Non malicious people usuallly accept they went overboard or were rude and try not to repeat it.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Tony wrote: »
    What RTE NL are saying publicly is that they have no idea what the plan is . I agree its strange but I can only go by what i've been told . Why mention KA band at all in that case? What definitely does not scan is that one guy in RTE NL was happy to talk to me one day and then clammed up the next.

Surely though, the original proposal must have come from someone with a strong technical/engineering background? How many people are likely to have been familiar with the Kasat multiple spotbeam footprint and its suitability as a FTA transmission route?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Your posts are in the main superb and stunningly intelligent.

Aw Shucks, thanks :o
    There were a few simple questions i wanted to ask in the last few months but went elsewhere for the answers as people can't be sure if they are going to get a smack in the gob if the mood takes You's!

To paraphrase the Duke of Wellington and Voltaire - Post and be Damned. ("I may disagree strongly with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.")

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

The Cush wrote: »
    Aw Shucks, thanks :o

Hoi You Ya left out the bit were i said the same about Tony STB and Watty[and should have added some more!]

You trying to make those girls jealous that i prefer You?:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Apogee wrote: »
    Surely though, the original proposal must have come from someone with a strong technical/engineering background? How many people are likely to have been familiar with the Kasat multiple spotbeam footprint and its suitability as a FTA transmission route?

No prior knowledge or Satellite expertise required :)

ANYONE in RTE talking to Sat suppliers trying to get a handle on Real Digital payTV card scheme and trying to find out how on earth to supply the 2% to 10% that won't get DTT (51 TX sites when there should be 90 to 180?) would VERY quickly be told about Kasat.

I knew about Kasat two years ago. One day or two trying to find capacity for the entire Saorview for late 2010 or early 2011, that is inexpensive. Getting told you don't need encryption would have knocked them back!

See http://www.lyngsat.com/launches/ka.html

It's a satellite intended for only Internet (VSAT). But using a transponder or part transponder (multiple carriers per transponder possible nowadays, sort of like 3 or 4 "logical" transponders) for TV/Radio/Data is no bother.

Yes I agree, (keeping in mind what watty says above about technical knowledge) the only other scenario I can think of is that someone from the satellite company came to RTE with the proposal. It still seems though from what I've been told that only one or two people in RTENL knew about this and it seems it was on a need to know basis. Bear in mind though that this is only one persons opinion and is therefore hearsay as I cant name the source. There may also be confidentialty clauses in place but I think if this was the case then KA band should not have been mentioned by the CFO as Watty was able to narrow down the available options right away.

watty wrote: »
    No prior knowledge or Satellite expertise required :)

That's simply not true. How many people, without prior knowledge or expertise, would have been familiar with the suitability of the Kasat spotbeams?
    ANYONE in RTE talking to Sat suppliers trying to get a handle on Real Digital payTV card scheme and trying to find out how on earth to supply the 2% to 10% that won't get DTT (51 TX sites when there should be 90 to 180?) would VERY quickly be told about Kasat.

I knew about Kasat two years ago. One day or two trying to find capacity for the entire Saorview for late 2010 or early 2011, that is inexpensive. Getting told you don't need encryption would have knocked them back!

See http://www.lyngsat.com/launches/ka.html

It's a satellite intended for only Internet (VSAT). But using a transponder or part transponder (multiple carriers per transponder possible nowadays, sort of like 3 or 4 "logical" transponders) for TV/Radio/Data is no bother.

And that's the key thing. Kasat has been always been marketed by Eutelsat for the provision of satellite internet services. The use of the Ka-band for the provision of DTH programming is an alien concept in Europe, so the proposal that Kasat could be used as an obvious solution to the copyright issues for RTÉ is plain wrong.

I knew about kasat and didn't think of it as a Solution for RTE. But Eutelsat probably employs smarter people than me.

It's not impossible that RTE thought of this. It's not impossible that the idea came up "by accident" when examining other options.

I doubt we will ever know, so I won't get dogmatic. I do know that in a meeting I had with Viasat I discussed Intesat 907 and the idea of using pair of entire transponders that had Statistical Mux for TV and increasing real time speed of Internet downloads (and decreasing) according to instantaneous bit rate needed by the TV. Normally they use ACM on Tooway ( http://www.tooway.net/tooway-faq.html ), which is incompatible with TV set boxes. But they can turn it off.

We discussed the Intelsat 907 as it has an Ireland + UK spot and we needed Satellite Broadband capacity by start of 2010 or even late 2009. We knew in late 2008 that Kasat would be at least late 2010. I had a mad idea of leveraging the Earth Station and Transponder resources to offer MPEG4 pay TV, and also use the satellite to feed a Terrestrial Broadband + Pay TV system*. I did suggest we approach RTE to give up their direct rental of space on IS907 and rent off us only what they actually use (better use of resources and cheaper for RTE). There was also a suggestion we should offer RTE encrypted feed for DTT distribution / Backup.

In the end the Credit Crunch hit in end of 2008 and the plans abandoned or postponed.

I'd not claim that I'm somehow responsible. In 2008 Kasat seemed a long way ahead. It's however a logical possibility for Eutelsat to mention to RTE given the current delayed time scale of DTT (soft launch Nov 2010 and main public Launch Q3 2011).

(* I got agreement from Gypsy Media/Digiguide for EPG content, and pointed out to Comreg that they had licensed SCTV 12GHz MMDS without any public discussion or licence offer process. A few weeks later Comreg sent me a new Shiny Licence application form for 12GHz MMDS for everywhere that SCTV didn't have. I got test Setboxes from ReelMultimedia, Lyngbox and Motorola. I even had the horrid Neotion PocketDuo MPEG4 ->MPEG2 + cam and ethernet device. I had PC setup up with €2500 PCI DVB card that could do DVB-t and DVB-c MPEG4 transmission and did tests at 10.2GHz terrestrially. The Motorola HD Hybrid PVR with IPTV and DVB-c was the final solution chosen with no cam. Viewing card simply to select preferences adult/children etc and encryption keys via Broadband. Sort of Card sharing from one HQ card! The timing and Modem Security would prevent 3rd party Broadband working for "card sharing" or "resharing".

I also experimented with what quality was possible on a 1/2 width Terrestrial 4MHz channel with 10 or 12 channels statistically multiplexed with variable Bitrate. You can do 99%+ of the TV people want with RTE off aerial and 12 channels. If one is SkySport. I proposed Ala carte channel ordering via Interactive as no setbox would even work without BB with instant "on" and one month minimum.

The payTV idea basically though didn't seem to be financially viable.
    ).

• Advertisement

That's simply not true. How many people, without prior knowledge or expertise, would have been familiar with the suitability of the Kasat spotbeams?

Someone working for Kasat who proposed the idea to RTE possibly.The CFO made the announcement and used the term KA band without any other details , I could be wrong but I dont think the CFO has a technical backround .

I knew about kasat and didn't think of it as a Solution for RTE. But Eutelsat probably employs smarter people than me.
    ).
    Tony wrote: »
    Someone working for Kasat who proposed the idea to RTE possibly.The CFO made the announcement and used the term KA band without any other details , I could be wrong but I dont think the CFO has a technical backround .

Someone from Eutelsat (with prior knowledge/expertise!) proposing Kasat to RTÉ seems perfectly plausible to me. The whole thing rings of a technical solution to a legal/economic problem i.e copyright issues wrt to FTA and cost of providing universal coverage via DTT alone.

But following that, then surely management in RTÉ would have run the proposal past their technical people to check if it was feasible or not? Assuming, of course, that it wasn't RTÉNL who were approached by Eutelsat initially.

The current analogue system has never been capable of providing 100% population coverage in Ireland. Twenty years ago, the level of coverage was between 80% and 90%. It has been increasing incrementally every year. It is not static. Wind turbines and other new forms of construction can have an effect on coverage. Aldi is constructing a large building in Mitchelstown that will have a significant impact on coverage. We will have to take account of that, as we do every time a new development, such as a shopping centre car park, affects the level of analogue coverage. It is not a fixed thing - it moves on a continual basis. A certain proportion of the population has never been able to avail of public service television. That is where the satellite option comes into play. The board of RTE has recently approved a unique satellite based approach, developed by RTE Networks Limited, that will enable Irish public service channels to be made available free to air and unencrypted, for the first time, as a means of covering the last 2% of the population. We anticipate that the Saorsat satellite service will be available from the second quarter of 2011. We are taking advantage of a new form of technology that operates in much the same way as UHF and VHF, with which members will be familiar. We will operate in a different frequency band on this satellite to allow us to broadcast unencrypted. A spot is being dedicated exclusively to Ireland.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=MAJ20100714.xml&Node=H2#H2

Someone from Eutelsat (with prior knowledge/expertise!) proposing Kasat to RTÉ seems perfectly plausible to me. The whole thing rings of a technical solution to a legal/economic problem i.e copyright issues wrt to FTA and cost of providing universal coverage via DTT alone.
    Agreed 100%
    However from RTE's point of view no other solution can even come within x10 in cost, so a no-brainer for the folks that write cheques.
    But following that, then surely management in RTÉ would have run the proposal past their technical people to check if it was feasible or not? Assuming, of course, that it wasn't RTÉNL who were approached by Eutelsat initially.
    You'd think so. But probably on NDA basis and quietly with top RTENL boffin(s) only, not the guys that actually do stuff out on site.

Also of course it's 100% feasible. There will be very loud gnashing of teeth and wailing from RTE if the Launch or Satellite commissioning fails. Even louder from Viasat & Eutelsat of course.

[edit, side note]
    Interesting that over 20 years ago (April 1989 BBC Engineering Information: BBC TV TX stations pg.5) BBC/ITV had 99.3% coverage and after years of claiming universal coverage (when they want the cheque for a Sat service of their own) they now admit to 80% to 90%. IMO the 80% no doubt corresponding to 64dBuV/m to 70dBuV/m of the BBC/IBA 99.3% :)

Well either Conor Hayes lied to an Oireachtas committee or the person Tony spoke to in RTÉNL is being economical with the truth.

Or the guy in RTENL not "in the know" or unable to say.

I'm told by an RTENL guy that there is a Non-disclosure clause in RTENL employee contracts. Basically it's a sackable offence to disclose sensitive information.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is the cost of €1.5m/yr the cost for one mux, or for the PSB requirement (two mux)?

Yes the line "developed by RTE Networks" is the crucial one, so if they developed the idea how come they dont know (or will not say) what satellite its on ? When I spoke with RTE NL the lady i spoke with said (and i quote verbatim) "We do not know what the satellite orbital position will be "
    Well either Conor Hayes lied to an Oireachtas committee or the person Tony spoke to in RTÉNL is being economical with the truth.

The latter seems more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

It is very common in large companies for a "secret" project only to be known to a small group under NDA and approved by the board. I would think that was what happened here until dropped into the Oireachteas hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is the cost of €1.5m/yr the cost for one mux, or for the PSB requirement (two mux)?

A Digital Terrestrial Mux is 8 MHz wide with a capacity of approx 24.1 megabits/second.

Satellite transponders (multiplexes) are much wider with larger capacities, I'm not sure what the figures for Ka-Sat are. Depending on the those figures it is possible that RTÉ may only require the capacity of one or part of one transponder to carry the equivalent of a terrestrial two mux service and they will only have to pay for the capacity used.

Does the €1.5 million include transponder capacity, multiplexing and uplinking?
    Do we have any details for the transponders on board?

There has been some discussion in previous post about where this idea (Saorsat) may have come from. Eutelsat in their press release announcing the order for the Ka satellite said the following
    The satellite will form the cornerstone of a major new satellite infrastructure programme that will significantly expand capacity for consumer broadband services across Europe and the Mediterranean Basin, while providing new opportunities for local and regional television markets.

http://www.eutelsat.com/news/compress/en/2008/pdf/PR0108-KaSat.pdf
    Has the idea of Ka band spotbeam TV delivery been around RTÉ since 2008 or maybe someone in RTÉ read this Rapid TV News report last March.

• Advertisement

Originally One Satellite Transponder = One physical Transmitter, implemented with a TWT fed direct via a filter from an LNA and Down Mixer from 14GHz to 18GHz band (uplink). Very little on board intellegence ("Pirate protection" simply by making it insensitive so you needed 20W+ TX and 5m+ dish for uplink!)

Today there is more complex circuits on Satellite with ability to re-map different uplinks to different downlinks. Also one physical Transmitter can be several 10MHz, 20MHz or 25MHz channels or even maybe a single 75MHz or larger channel.

On 28.2E €1.5M a year would only buy maybe one or two SD channel's worth of bitrate. On Kasat it might be enough bandwidth for 24Mbps or 50Mbps. DVB-S2 uses less bandwidth than DVB-s (30Mbps on 28.2E might need 25MHz bandwidth). The amount of bitrate you can fit in bandwidth depends on dish size at Satellite, dish size at Home user and the Power.

The "best" usage is to simply use the exact same MPEG2-TS (Multiplex's Transport stream) for DVB-t and Satellite. It doesn't matter if it doesn't fill a physical transponder. So one stream per terrestrial Multiplex. It might take 40MHz to 50MHz depending on FEC, Modulation (no longer just QPSK on DVBs-2) and power for 2 x 8MHz Terrestrial Mux. It's possible to have the same transport stream content on Terrestrial and Satellite and it be compatible with both receivers. The DVB-s2 and DVB-t are different modulation schemes that can carry the same Transport Stream content.

Then the only cost is uplink. The €1.5M p.a. would not include uplink. Ideally they would do their own uplink and then it's a maintence and operation cost after the €85K+ install cost (4.8m dish + 20W power amp at Ka uplink frequency).

Then at each DTT site a single sat receiver that has an entire transport stream simply feeds a DVB-t modulator direct if terrestrial feed lost. Otherwise you need one receiver per channel (this is how Analogue from Sky box works) and a very expensive local encoder and Multiplex (About €95,000 to €200,000 per mux). So using same MPEG_TS on satellite as DTT saves 51 x 2 x €200,000, approx €10M. It means Sat viewers in the 2% to 10% not covered get an exact copy of DTT.

All we know about kasat is:
    • It's Ka band
    • 80 spot beams. Probably spots x2 to x3 size shown, but frequency reuse allows some overlap and prevents further out of area as per Astra 2D with giant dishes
    • Apparently N=4 frequency reuse of spots
    • Four dishes on that basic model of Satellite, so same technique as one dish + multiple LNBs. Each dish must have 20 slightly differently offset feeds, 20 x 4 = 80 spots.
    • There might be slightly more than 20 feeds. Redundancy.
    • It's not likely it uses 80 TWTs? Many "Transponders" are likely sharing one physical (TWT). There are satellites with 70 "transponders". Even if multiple "virtual" transponders per TWT, that would be 80, if one per spot. Maybe it doesn't use TWT and is all solid state, in which case there could be maybe 8 real transponders per spot = 640 Transponders. Really we have no idea how many physical transponders its got!
    • Probably launch Dec 2010 or Jan 2011 on Proton (Russian Launcher)
    • Project is jointly between Viasat and Eutelsat
    • Satellite mostly EADS Astrium design/Build, Based on the EUROSTAR Eurostar-3000 platform.
    • Main application is Viasat's Tooway DOCSIS based VSAT using surfbeam modem. (Almost Broadband by Satellite. Main limitation is 790ms latency)
    • Location to be 9E on "Clarke Belt"
    • Total throughput of over 70 Gigabits per second.
    • Design life 15+ years (could be less or more, some satellites working after 30+ years (badly).
    • Launch mass of 5.8 tons (Ariane can launch 2 x sats simultaneously, Proton one this size)
    • Payload consuming more than 11 kW of power, with solar arrays generating 15 kW of power. Thus less than 100W per spot. Many Satellites are about 20W per spot! The Dish has a lot of gain, maybe 50dB!

120204.png
    Irish Spot and corresponding French on same frequency, blocking English reception (see red line)

500px-KA-SAT_spot_beams_coverage.jpg
    Spots same colour are same polarisation/Frequency band
    This shows shape slightly better.

Note: It's likely all Irish spot is same polarisation and band. Even if you have the Tooway Internet, it's likely you can just split the receive coax for modem and Feed any number of sat receivers without a Quad LNB etc. Only longer cable or more that 4 tuners is likely to need an amp.

All known spots
    (There may actually be more than 80, I have not counted how many are shown)
    ka-sat-spot-beam-coverage-footprint-map.gif

kasat__1.jpg
    Artist's mockup of Eurostar-3000 (believed to be what Kasat is based on )

The Cush wrote: »

Has the idea of Ka band spotbeam TV delivery been around RTÉ since 2008 or maybe someone in RTÉ read this Rapid TV News report last March.

No idea.

But I've worked with this kind of stuff for years, even designing systems. Never ever was there any suggestion that Ka Band or Kasat could not be used for DTH TV. It's just that the main market for next 5 to 10 years is obviously the installed base of Ku. Only a Niche product was ever going to use Ka or Kasat for TV. If Scotland got Independence and their own real equivalent of RTE (not just ITV content rebranded STV) then the top two spots would have to have the Scottish Mux. They could neither afford English Rights nor Encryption
    120204.png
    Top two spots for real STV?

If the Welsh got independence and wanted an English Channel (some folks do speak English there:) ) then there is a handy Welsh Spot. I suppose the "Rights Holders" wouldn't charge them too much more for Cornwall, Devon and Somerset/Bristol.

German, French, Italian, Spanish, Sky, Freesat and pay TV generally isn't going to be interested in ka spots for a good number of years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Found this interesting 'stack plan' or 'stacking plan' for Ka to IF downconversion on DirectTV...DirectTV LNB IF outputs by frequency.

While the Ku IF norms are observed , look what they do with the Ka frequencies FFS :( Some are sent down on DTT or VHF Band III frequencies and some are sent down above the Ku band IFs . Damned if I know a receiver that will tune into them though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=14517&d=1215661908

This forum contains lots of data and much anorakage abounds thereupon. However DirectTV ( the biggest Ka user ) tucks Ka down conversion around the standard Ku IF ...above and below .

Were a DVB-T 'mux' payload broadcast in the Ka Lo band as Watty intimated then a DirectTV LNB would output it between 250mhz and 750mhz ...locating the 'mux' precisely in the upper part of the Ka Lo band would correspond to a DTT mux frequency meaning that a sat receiver would not be required at all, a Saorview receiver would do it.

You would have a Ka Lo LNB input into a DTT box.

Some 18v style power injection and current return blockage would be required to the LNB at some stage....evidently not from the DTT box of course :)

Bit more data in this multiswitch data sheet

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/PDF_Files/WB616manual.pdf

Can anyone tell me if a Ka LNB switched to H or V and transponder and with power then disconnected would work as a passive unpowered LNB thereafter...ie would it only require power to set transponder frequency and polarity....once...or does it require continous power and if so how much ?!!??

Never ever was there any suggestion that Ka Band or Kasat could not be used for DTH TV.

Surely no one would be daft enough to make such a suggestion.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    While the Ku IF norms are observed , look what they do with the Ka frequencies FFS :( Some are sent down on DTT or VHF Band III frequencies and some are sent down above the Ku band IFs . Damned if I know a receiver that will tune into them though.

They use receivers with standard L-band tuners, but with a B-band to L-band upconverter in between. As outlined previously here. The receivers originally were similar to the Quali-TV MPEG2 HD receivers which were mostly used in Europe for their 4:2:2 capability.

Can anyone tell me if a Ka LNB switched to H or V and transponder and with power then disconnected would work as a passive unpowered LNB thereafter...ie would it only require power to set transponder frequency and polarity....once !!

I don't quite get what you're after, but the LNB needs to be powered at all times to downconvert (and amplify) from Ka-band to L-band. The receiver tunes to a specific frequency, not the LNB.

[edit] The use of the term 'Ka-Hi' in the 'Output Frequencies' in the pic above is somewhat misleading. A satellite tuner with 950-2150MHz range is standard. But the Americans are a little different in the way they approach the Ku-band - universal Ku-band LNBFs are still something of rarity in the US.

Can anyone tell me if a Ka LNB switched to H or V and transponder and with power then disconnected would work as a passive unpowered LNB thereafter...ie would it only require power to set transponder frequency and polarity....once...or does it require continous power and if so how much ?!!??

I've yet to see an unpowered lnb as the local osciallator (downconverter) needs power, usually 13v . Its interesting you mention DTT receivers as a lot do have power out, the DTT receiver in the RTE trial had voltage from the aerial socket.

Right , so power injection is required. Following Zaphods comment you linked

18.3 - 18.8 GHz is downconverted to 250-750mhz.

RTE need to transmit a DVB-T mux , in full, at around 18.6-18.8Mhz , map it precisely to a DVB-T Europe base mux frequency and a Saorview tuner will work properly.

A gizmo will sent the DC Voltage it needs to the LNB, I thought 18v or 13v were the LNB switching voltages. I do not know the amplification voltage and assume it is a tad less, maybe 9v.

Right , so power injection is required. Following Zaphods comment you linked

18.3 - 18.8 GHz is downconverted to 250-750mhz.

RTE need to transmit a DVB-T mux , in full, at around 18.6-18.8Mhz , map it precisely to a DVB-T Europe base mux frequency and a Saorview tuner will work properly.

Does not have to be that precise, as long as the highest and lowest freqs fall withing the range of the receiver it will work with a scan. Precision only becomes an issue if the receiver is pre programmed and even then the down converter can be off a bit with the IF (intermediate freq)

We still don't know what the frequency range on Kasat will be and whether they will use either the B or A segments of the Ka-band (or both).

http://www.tele-satellite.com/TELE-satellite-0811/eng/ka-band.pdf

Found this interesting 'stack plan' or 'stacking plan' for Ka to IF downconversion on DirectTV...DirectTV LNB IF outputs by frequency.

DirecTV is a different system. It uses circular polarisation for a start. The Wildblue System in USA is what Tooway uses. It's regular Orthogonal Horizontal or Vertical polarisation.

Also DirecTV doesn't use Frequency Reuse Spots. All the content on a particular spot on kasat will likely be the same band and polarity.

The Tooway Surfbeam Modem receive side is same as Setbox IF
    950 – 1700 MHz
    http://www.satsig.net/satellite-internet/wildblue-viasat-surfbeam-modem.pdf
    http://www.cpe-labs.com/PDFs/SkyVistaPDFs/SurfBeam%20Modem%20Manual.pdf

The signal from the ODU (LNB + BUC) at Dish of Tooway VSAT is two coax to Surfbeam Modem. One is Receive IF and can be simply split to feed a setbox and the other coax is the transmit.
    http://www.highspeedsat.com/wildblue-9000.htm

I can see no reason why a suitable standalone LNB for TV only won't be available. Not as cheap as Ku €5, but cheap enough as can be the exact electronics used in the ODU's LNB. There are over 300,000 of those shipped.

Don't confuse yourselves with USA DTH Ka TV via DirecTV as it's a different system. The Ka here in Europe used for TV will simply be a different LNB and DVB-s2 HD MPEG4 setbox.

Any small solid dish (not too big) should be ok. Some mesh dishes might not be suitable for the almost x2 higher frequency. TVRO DTH (TV receive only Direct to home) likely is fine with a much smaller dish than the 65cm for two way Internet (Tooway VSAT) service. Probably 35cm to 44cm will be equivalent performance to a 65cm to 80cm Dish for Sky/Freesat.

• Advertisement

Better be Ka Lo between 18.6 and 18.8mhz if we are to benefit in any way from commodity LNB gear. It will also mean that a typical combination of Astra Ku and Ka St Ka Lo will not collide.

If there is no Ku payload on Ka sat the Ku IF _should_ be clear and combination of Astra and Ka sat should be fairly doddly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement